Hong Kong’s ascent to the top was a consequence of Luanda’s drop to second in the ranking due to the weakening of its local currency, according to consultancy firm Mercer.
Source link
Hong Kong tops, Singapore 4th-most expensive city for expatriates: Survey
Police report reveals Michael Jackson's preference for pornography and attraction to children
LOS ANGELES – A newly surfaced police report related to a 2003 raid on Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch shows the late pop star’s penchant for pornography and attraction to children.
Jackson was acquitted in 2005 of child molestation following a 14-week trial, and the report published on Tuesday by the celebrity and gossip website Radar Online was related to evidence submitted in that case.
The report contains details about various books, magazines and documents seized at Jackson’s secluded California home in November 2003.
The police report states that though the documents were not considered illegal, “this type of material can be used as part of a ‘grooming’ process by which people (those seeking to molest children) are able to lower the inhibitions of their intended victims and facilitate the molestation of said victims.” The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department said it had not publicly released the documents, which had been submitted to the prosecution and the defence during the 2005 trial.
“Some of the documents appear to be copies of reports that were authored by sheriff’s office personnel as well as evidentiary photographs taken by sheriff’s office personnel, interspersed with content that appears to be obtained off the Internet or through unknown sources,” it said in a statement.
“The sheriff’s office did not release any of the documents and/or photographs to the media.” Some of the material seized during the raid shows pictures of nude young adults, children’s faces on adult bodies, as well as images of animal and child torture, Radar Online said, citing an investigator in the case.
“The documents collected by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department paint a dark and frightening picture of Jackson,” the unidentified investigator is quoted as saying.
“The documents exposed Jackson as a manipulative, drug-and-sex-crazed predator who used blood, gore, sexually explicit images of animal sacrifice and perverse adult sex acts to bend children to his will.” The King of Pop was acquitted in 2005 following a 14-week child molesting trial during which a jury heard lurid testimony about his life and relationships with young boys.
He was charged after Gavin Arvizo, a 13-year-old boy Jackson had befriended, came forward.
Jackson’s Estate lashed out at the celebrity website’s article, saying it was clearly timed to coincide with the upcoming seventh anniversary of his death on June 25.
“Those who continue to shamelessly exploit Michael via sleazy internet ‘click bait’ ignore that he was acquitted by a jury in 2005 on every one of the 14 salacious charges brought against him in a failed witch hunt,” a statement said.
” Michael remains just as innocent of these smears in death as he was in life, even though he isn’t here to defend himself. Enough is enough.” Jackson’s nephew Taj Jackson also denounced the report.
“Not only is there absolutely no truth to this story whatsoever, but I’m truly sick of this crap. #getalife and stop living off ours,” he said in a tweet.


Actress Rui En charged for inconsiderate driving
Rui En was being investigated by police for knocking over a stationary motorcycle with her car at the car park of her apartment block in Clementi.
Source link
Actress Rui En charged for careless driving
SINGAPORE – Local television actress Rui En has been charged with one count of careless driving after she hit a stationary motorcycle at a Clementi open-air car park on April 12.
The 35-year-old, whose real name is Lu Rui En, did not have a lawyer with her on…
Source link
Former TRS editor Yang Kaiheng intends to plead guilty to sedition
SINGAPORE – Yang Kaiheng, the former editor of sociopolitical site The Real Singapore, is intending to plead guilty to sedition charges relating to articles published on the now-defunct site, after a 7-day trial in March to contest these charges.
The trial,…
Source link
China's dog meat festival growing leaner
The dog meat festival in South China’s Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region arrived as usual on Tuesday but at a reduced size, as the local government pledged to take action to avoid public dog slaughtering. Peter Li, China policy specialist at Humane Society International, has visited Yulin frequently in the past three years and said he felt the atmosphere in Yulin this year was less tense than before.
“I’ve seen hardly any abuse or slaughtering on the street,” Li said. “At least for today, it is neither a nightmare nor a festival.”
In response to Hong Kong legislator Michael Tien Puk-sun’s petition to end the festival, the local government promised to ban dog slaughtering in public and to check the health certificates of dogs transported to Yulin.
Food safety and the problem of stolen pet dogs are the major objections.
The festival is held annually in Yulin around the summer solstice, a day on the Chinese lunar calendar after which the hottest days of the summer are expected. Under pressure both domestically and abroad, the Yulin festival has shrunk in recent years.
According to Humane Society International, the dog slaughtering peak was in 2012 or 2013, when more than 10,000 dogs were killed in three days. The number dropped to 2,000 dogs in 2015.
Ever since the festival became a lightning rod for critics in 2012, the local government has said little beyond reiterating that there is no “organised festival” and that it’s just a local people’s gathering.
Li Tingsheng, a local publicity official, said dog meat is a valid food choice, not a bad habit as some activists say.
“We have made an effort to address public concerns over food security as well as the safety of pets,” Li said. “However, there is no legal basis for preventing people from eating dog meat.”
A recent poll conducted by Horizon, a Chinese polling company, found more than half of Chinese want the local government to ban the festival, saying it tarnishes the country’s image. When asked whether the central government should pass legislation to outlaw the dog meat trade, nearly 56 per cent of respondents from outside Guangxi voted yes. Only 16 per cent of respondents from Guangxi agreed.
Qin Xiaona, director of the Capital Animal Welfare Association, said, “It is embarrassing to us that the world wrongly believes the brutally cruel Yulin festival is part of Chinese culture.”
Zhang Li in Nanjing contributed to this story.

What it takes to be a K-pop fan
Following four sexual assault claims last week against Park Yoo-chun of boy band JYJ, a group of his fans announced that they will stop supporting the once-beloved celebrity.
The group of JYJ fans from an online community said in a statement that they felt “deep disappointment and outrage” toward Park, adding that he had “betrayed the trust of 13 years and devoted support.”
“We will strictly boycott all content or activities related to him,” the statement added. The fans said they would only continue to support the other two members of JYJ, Kim Jun-su and Kim Jae-joong.
For numerous K-pop fans, this is a move that indicates the gravity of the issue, since most of them tend to turn a blind eye to even the wildest antics of their favourite stars.
Police investigation into Park’s case is still in its early stages and the singer has not been found guilty of any of the charges yet.
However, fans are infuriated by the revelation that Park frequented bars that reportedly provide adult entertainment services and that he is involved in this scandal, which is suspected to include criminal elements and 1 billion won (S$1,161,000) in blackmail.
The depth of disappointment is directly proportional to the commitment fans have shown toward JYJ throughout the years, said one 27-year-old JYJ fan surnamed Hong.
JYJ has had a rocky history. Its members began their singing careers as members of the boy band TVXQ in 2003. However, in 2010, Park, Kim Jun-su and Kim Jae-joong broke away from the group to form JYJ, in protest against unfair contracts drawn up by TVXQ’s agency SM Entertainment. They filed lawsuits against the agency and the legal battle raged on until 2014, during which their television appearances were largely limited.
“JYJ fans were proud to have been loyal to (the group) during all of that turmoil and the fight for their rights,” said Hong. “There was a sense of camaraderie among us. That’s why we’re all the more enraged.”
Last month, a group of fans of boy band Super Junior’s Kangin also posted a statement online, urging that the group’s agency remove Kangin from the group after the singer was involved in a hit-and-run accident while driving drunk.
These moves by fans suggest that K-pop fandom has evolved and is motivated just as much by principles as it is by admiration.
According to Hong, however, there are still fans who feel that Park was “unlucky” to have gotten caught in his alleged crime.
“Some fans say, ‘Why wasn’t he more careful?’ They say they understand what it’s like to be unable to break up with a boyfriend who had an affair with someone else. The years of affection don’t just fall away,” she said.
What fans spend on
One reason behind fans vehement responses to K-pop singers’ scandals is because of the devotion — both emotional and financial — that they have vested into the celebrities.
A 25-year-old fan surnamed Lee, who is an active fan club member of a K-pop boy band whose name she declined to reveal, last year spent a total of 2,570,000 won on fan activities. This ranged from spending on group and individual members’ concerts, CDs and celebrity merchandise.
However, this is a figure that is relatively low compared to high-spenders who attend concerts abroad and fork out money to buy gifts – including hoodies, bags, food, electronics and even household appliances — for stars and even their managers, said Lee.
“Managers are crucial because they can offer information on a star’s whereabouts,” said Lee.
Fan activities have become prevalent throughout the country. It is not uncommon to spot ads in subway stations — which can cost up to 5 million won, including printing costs — put up by fans in celebration of a celebrity’s birthday. Fans also donate to charities in the names of their favourite stars.
Loyal consumers
Fans are also loyal consumers of products and content rolled out by entertainment agencies.
They purchase the clothing that singers are spotted wearing, continuously play K-pop songs on streaming sites, cast votes for singers in music programs and watch music videos online.
The number of views and revenue that result from these activities, in turn, “define how much a company is willing to pay (celebrities) for ad endorsements and deals,” according to an official at an entertainment agency who requested anonymity.
“The fans then purchase the products the K-pop groups advertise,” said the official.
This generates profits for both the company selling the products and the entertainment agencies.
“Fans are the fuel to an ever-churning profit machine,” said one fan who until last year occupied a high-ranking position in a boy band’s fan club.
Another steady source of profit for K-pop stars are fan autograph sessions, according to a university student surnamed Hur in her early 20s, who is an active member of a K-pop boy group fan club.
To have a fighting chance in the intense competition to attend an autograph session, a fan has to submit a copy of the artist’s album. As a random handful of them are selected from among those who wish to attend, fans sometimes submit up to 50 copies in order to increase their chances of getting picked, she said.
“Normally, I buy around five copies if (the artist I support) releases a new album,” she said. “But last time there was a fan autograph session, I bought 15. I didn’t win though.”
Fan camps are another pricey activity that fans are all too willing to pay for. Recently, an announcement for the fan camp of Jun Jin of boy group Shinhwa was posted on the singer’s Facebook timeline.
According to the post, the event will take place from July 1-3 at a resort in Gangwon Province. A fan camp usually involves games, mini concerts, and an array of other programs. Attendance fees range from 500,000 won to 1 million won, according to fans.

TRS trial: Yang Kaiheng expected to plead guilty on Friday
The former editor of The Real Singapore (TRS) had at first denied using the site to “promote feelings of ill-will and hostility between different classes of the population of Singapore” via seven seditious posts, which targeted foreigners from the Philippines, India and China.
Source link
'Initial D' cafe entices automobile fans
Actor Lee Min-ho wins in Weibo Movie Awards
Korean actor Lee Min-ho has been named the most influential Asian film industry figure at a movie awards ceremony hosted by Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, his agency said Wednesday.
Lee was chosen as the “Asian Cinema Pioneer” at the inaugural Weibo Movie Awards Ceremony held in Shanghai on Monday night, MYM Entertainment said.
Winners were selected based on an online vote of 100 million Weibo subscribers who are film fans, according to the organizer.
Lee catapulted to stardom with his role in the 2009 TV drama “Boys Over Flowers,” and has starred in a variety of films and shows such as “City Hunter” and “The Heirs.” He currently has 2,883 followers on Weibo.
Most recently, he appeared in “Bounty Hunters,” a South Korea-Chinese coproduced action film slated to open on July 1.
In November, he is set to appear on an SBS TV series whose title roughly translates to “Legend of the Blue Sea” together with Jun Ji-hyun, the “My Love from the Star” heroine who also has a large following in China.



















