Home Blog Page 3608

Refugee-saving app by Singapore company pulled from Apple App Store over accusations

0

SINGAPORE – A refugee-saving mobile app developed by a Singapore company has been pulled from the Apple App Store, following accusations on social media that it does not work.

I SEA, developed by Grey for Good, the philanthropic arm of digital advertising agency Grey Group Singapore, claims to have the ability to scan the Mediterranean Sea for migrant vessels.

The app purportedly employs real-time satellite data that allows users to spot, tag and report a vessel in distress.

The information is then relayed to the Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS) – Grey Group’s client for the app – so that the authorities can send help.

Aided by an impressive promotional video and its humanitarian concept, I SEA won an award in the “Promo & Activation” category at the Cannes Lions 2016, an international advertising festival held in France, on Monday (June 20).

Its launch last week was also highlighted by news agency Reuters, as well as news websites such as Mashable and Wired.

But the app’s win has come under scrutiny after investigations by various technology experts and websites alleged that the app was not quite what it promised to be.

on Twitter

US media news website Gawker reported that the app “pretends” to distribute satellite images of different parts of the Mediterranean Sea to the app’s users, but instead sends everyone the same image.

A check on the Apple App Store on Tuesday (June 21) afternoon revealed that I SEA was no longer available for download.

When contacted, Grey Group’s director of marketing and business development Spencer Cheng declined to comment on the accusations that the app was a fake.

Asked to confirm if Apple had indeed removed the app from its store, Mr Cheng also declined comment, referring queries to the company’s corporate communications department.

The department has not responded to queries by Tuesday, 9.30pm.

In an earlier statement posted on its website on Sunday (June 19), Grey Group said the app is “currently in a testing mode”.

“During this testing period, the satellite images available are not in real-time. Grey for Good are still working to optimise the technology, but we are proud of what we have achieved so far and are grateful to all those who have shown interest in helping to improve the app further.”

A MOAS spokesman, speaking to digital news website The Daily Dot, said: “Technology questions are not our area of expertise.”

According to its website profile, Grey Group has a client list that includes companies such as Procter & Gamble, GlaxoSmithKline, Diageo, Pfizer and Canon.

In Asia, the firm says it covers 28 cities in 16 countries.


This article was first published on June 22, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 22, 2016 – 09:11
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Refugee-saving app by Singapore company pulled from Apple App Store over accusations it does not work
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Durian-flavoured condoms set to spice up Asian market

0

A CONDOM manufacturer in Bangkok, Thailand, is producing durian-flavoured condoms to cater to the Asian market, reported China Press.

A spokesman said they had started the production of the condom and believed it would be a hit among Asians.

The company is currently producing two billion condoms yearly.

This is expected to increase to five billion when it opens a new factory.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 22, 2016 – 08:59
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

N Korea fails again with new missile test: S Korea

0

SEOUL – North Korea conducted two back-to-back tests of a powerful new medium-range missile on Wednesday, with at least one launch ending in failure, South Korea’s Defence Ministry said.

The first test shortly before 6:00 am (2100 GMT Tuesday) was deemed to have failed, but the ministry said it was unable to confirm the status of a second launch detected two hours later from the same location on the east coast.

Both test were believed to be of a much-hyped, intermediate-range Musudan missile capable of reaching US bases as far away as Guam.

North Korea had previously carried out four failed Musudan tests this year, in a setback for a weapons programme that ultimately aspires to develop a proven nuclear strike capability against the US mainland.

UN resolutions ban North Korea from any use of ballistic missile technology and, just hours before Wednesday’s launch efforts, the Pentagon had warned Pyongyang against pressing ahead with any missile test.

In a statement, the South Korean defence ministry stressed that any such test was “a clear violation of UN resolutions,” while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said it “cannot be tolerated.” The Musudan has an estimated range of anywhere between 2,500 and 4,000 kilometres (1,550 to 2,500 miles). The lower range covers the whole of South Korea and Japan, while the upper range would include US military bases on Guam.

First unveiled as an indigenous missile at a military parade in Pyongyang in October 2010, the Musudan has never been successfully flight-tested.

Three failures in April were seen as an embarrassment for North Korea’s leadership, coming ahead of a rare ruling party congress that was meant to celebrate the country’s achievements.

Another attempt in May was also deemed to have failed.

Wednesday’s tests came with military tensions still running high following Pyongyang’s fourth nuclear test in January and a long-range rocket launch a month later that saw the UN Security Council impose its toughest sanctions to date on the North.

During the party congress in May, North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un had personally extended an offer of military dialogue with the South.

The proposal was repeated several times by the North’s military, but Seoul dismissed all the overtures as insincere “posturing” given Kim’s vow at the same congress to push ahead with the country’s nuclear weapons programme.

In recent months, North Korea has claimed a series of technical breakthroughs in developing an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of delivering a nuclear warhead to targets across the continental United States.

The claimed achievements included miniaturising a nuclear warhead to fit on a missile, developing a warhead that can withstand atmospheric re-entry and building a solid-fuel missile engine.

The North also hailed the successful test of an engine specifically designed for an ICBM that would “guarantee” an eventual nuclear strike on the US mainland.

Outside experts have treated a number of the claims with scepticism, while acknowledging that the North has made significant strides in upgrading its nuclear arsenal.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 22, 2016 – 08:53
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
N Korea fails again with new missile test; Japan PM says it 'cannot be tolerated'
Rotator Image: 
Hermes ID: 
2 386 633
Hermes ID String: 
PKKOREA22
Hermes Author: 
PRABUKM
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Polytechnics cast wider net for students

0

POLYTECHNICS are expecting more students to apply via the new Early Admissions Exercise (EAE), which allows them to secure places in diploma programmes through course-specific talents and interests rather than just academic grades.

A higher proportion of polytechnic places has been set aside for these students next year under the EAE, which begins taking in applications today.

Polytechnics said a range of education and career guidance activities, such as talks and programmes in schools as well as seminars for parents, may have contributed to the strong interest.

The EAE, which gives polytechnics greater flexibility to choose students on criteria other than the O-level examination results, can admit up to 12.5 per cent of the intake.

It will allow students to receive a conditional offer for admission to a diploma course even before sitting the O-level exams.

Previously, polytechnics took in such students through the Direct Polytechnic Admissions exercise (DPA) and the Joint Polytechnic Special Admissions Exercise (JPSAE), which could admit up to 2.5 per cent and 5 per cent of the polytechnic intake respectively each year.

The EAE is replacing both of these exercises.

Earlier this year, Acting Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) Ong Ye Kung said at the Education Ministry’s (MOE) Committee of Supply debate that all five polytechnics, as well as three of the autonomous universities – Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore and Singapore Management University – will expand their aptitude-based admissions.

He also said MOE studies have shown that among polytechnic students with similar O-level aggregate scores, those who are admitted “via DPA do better in their studies… and are far more likely to embark on careers in the sectors for which they were educated and trained”.

The mode of assessment under the EAE can vary and may include interviews, portfolio submissions and aptitude tests.

Polytechnics may consider achievements such as awards received, roles assumed in and out of school, work attachments and involvement in relevant projects.

For instance, for the informatics and information technology courses at Temasek Polytechnic, the selection panel assesses applicants during interviews on their knowledge of how IT is applied in areas such as education and healthcare.

At Singapore Polytechnic, students applying for the music and audio technology diploma will have to go through auditions at which they will be asked to display their musical proficiency.

Republic Polytechnic registrar Windersalam Shanmugasundar said the scheme encourages students to “discover and pursue their passion”.

“It promotes active planning for their own life.”

calyang@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 22, 2016 – 08:34
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Marina Bay Link Mall gets NEA checks for rodent problem

0

Marina Bay Link Mall, part of the Marina Bay Financial Centre, is the latest mall to have rat issues.

The National Environment Agency (NEA) said it will be taking action against the parties concerned after finding dried rat droppings above a food outlet at the mall and common area of the mall during an inspection. The restaurant is understood to be Absolute Thai.

A spokesman said NEA conducted the inspection last Wednesday within the Marina Bay Link Mall premises where a rat was sighted, the immediate common areas of the retail mall, as well as surrounding perimeter areas of Towers 1, 2 and 3.

However, no live rats or nests were found, she said.

Opened in 2010, the mall is linked to upscale homes in The Sail, Marina Bay Suites and Marina Bay Residences.

Hairdresser Kean Pang, 36, said a rat once ran into the salon. He and his colleagues chased it out and informed the management.

Part-time waiter Chan Junwei, 18, saw a rat about two weeks ago. “I was walking towards the toilet and it fell from the ceiling right in front of me and ran away,” he said.

A spokesman for Raffles Quay Asset Management, which manages the mall, said: “A rodent was sighted at the entrance of Marina Bay Link Mall about two weeks ago.

“An intensified pest control flushing programme has been put in place and inspections have been increased.”

For pest infestations, food retail shops face a fine of up to $2,000 and demerit points, and mall managements face a fine of up to $5,000.

jalmsab@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 22, 2016 – 08:13
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

'Star Trek' actor Anton Yelchin's death prompts new calls for auto recall

0

WASHINGTON – ‘Star Trek’ actor Anton Yelchin’s fatal accident involving a recalled 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee is renewing calls from safety advocates to fix flaws in the U.S. recall system.

Yelchin was killed when his SUV rolled backward in the steep driveway of his Los Angeles home and pinned him against a brick wall and a fence. The accident is under investigation, and it is not known whether the specific recall defect, which can cause the vehicle to roll away after a driver exits, led to Yelchin’s death.

But consumer safety advocates say the incident shows an urgent need to improve how recalls are handled, with a record number of unrepaired U.S. vehicles still on the road as drivers wait for fixes that can take many months to arrive.

Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, said Yelchin’s accident is touching a nerve in a way that traditional recalls have not. “Many consumers may think:’If it could happen to Chekov, it could happen to me,'” he said, referring to the Star Trek character portrayed by Yelchin.

Yelchin’s SUV was one of 1.1 million vehicles recalled by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV in April over the potential to roll away. Forty-one injuries, as well as crashes and property damage, have been linked to the problem.

Los Angeles police and the automaker are separately investigating whether the recall defect caused the crash. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said it is in touch with both to hear their findings.

Fiat Chrysler told dealers last month that a fix would be ready no later than July or August after initially telling owners a fix wouldn’t be ready until late this year.

Owners still have not gotten official notice of their fix, but some dealers are now making appointments to repair some of the recalled vehicles, company spokesman Eric Mayne said.

Citing Yelchin’s death, Ditlow urged Fiat Chrysler Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne in a letter to notify owners not to drive such vehicles until they are repaired and to provide free loaner or rental cars in the interim.

“If there’s any silver lining in this it will prompt more attention to recalls,” Ditlow said. “There was no sense of urgency on Chrysler’s part” to get the fix in place.

Record number of recalls

Automakers have recalled record numbers of U.S. vehicles, including about 100 million cars and trucks in 2014 and 2015 combined. Defects range from exploding air bag inflators to faulty ignition switches and electronic glitches.

Allowing owners to continue to drive recalled vehicles for months until a fix is in place may mean they take recall issues less seriously, said Sean Kane, president of Massachusetts-based Safety Research & Strategies Inc and an auto safety advocate.

“We are seeing recalls being announced constantly and consumers are being chastised about getting their recalls completed – and in the meantime sometimes the recalls aren’t even available,” Kane said Tuesday.

Carfax, a provider of used-car history reports, estimates that more than 47 million U.S. vehicles have at least one uncompleted recall – or nearly one in five vehicles – up 27 percent over a year earlier.

Jacqueline Gillan, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, said policymakers are struggling to find an answer.

“We’ve had so many millions and millions of vehicles that some people don’t feel a sense of urgency,” said Gillan, whose group backs legislation to bar used cars with uncompleted recalls from being sold.

The Obama administration has acknowledged the need to boost repair rates. In January, it announced a voluntary agreement with 18 major automakers to employ new ways to increase safety recall participation rates.

Read also:

When idols die, we mourn days forever gone

Freak accidents and tragic deaths of famous people over the years

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 22, 2016 – 07:45
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
video embed code: 
<div style="display: block; position: relative; max-width: 100%;"><div style="padding-top: 56.25%;"><iframe src="//players.brightcove.net/4802324435001/default_default/index.html?videoId=4960723903001"
allowfullscreen
webkitallowfullscreen
mozallowfullscreen
style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute; top: 0px; bottom: 0px; right: 0px; left: 0px;"></iframe></div></div>
Video Media: 
Other Video Media
Hermes ID: 
2 386 591
Hermes ID String: 
PKACTOR22
Hermes Author: 
PRABUKM
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

SMART MART has the form to win Race 7

0

RACE 1 (1,400M)
(7) SALSA QUEEN is bred for ground. She should love the hike in distance here.
(3) HUNGRY HEART didn’t enjoy her last race, debuting on the Poly but did well in her penultimate and can…

Source link

Lebron V Jordan

0

LeBron James deserves a statue outside the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Quicken Loans Arena, just like Michael Jordan’s outside the United Center in Chicago.

This, according to Jim Brown, the star rusher who led the Cleveland Browns…

Source link

WHEN WILD BOARS ATTACK

0

As the wild boar population in Singapore grows, more people have been getting hurt in their encounters with these wild animals.

In 2012, an elderly woman broke her pelvis on Pulau Ubin after her excursion group started…

Source link

Father's search for justice after son killed in Bangkok

0

He has been to Bangkok twice since his son was killed there last month.

And private bus driver Ramasamy Ramalingam, 60, will soon go there for a third time to engage a lawyer to help him get justice.

He and his son’s…

Source link