Home Blog Page 3657

He spent 2 years, $10,000 on bogus degree

0

Alan (not his real name) spent two years dashing from his army camp to school in the evenings to complete a part-time banking and finance degree course.

He was then doing his national service and he thought a two-year University of London degree offered by the now-defunct Brookes Business School would help him achieve his goal of entering the finance industry.

But he graduated in April 2009 over $10,000 poorer – and with a bogus degree.

It turned out that the owner of Brookes Business School had been offering fake degree courses linked to prestigious institutions.

He was sentenced to 5½ years’ jail last year.

“I spent two precious prime years of my life slogging in order to acquire the qualifications to join the industry of my dreams,” Alan said.

Now 33, Alan, who declined to reveal his occupation, added: “Yes, it still bothers me. Till today, I am still suffering from the outcome of the whole issue.”

Last year alone, 17 private schools closed down, with two due to regulatory breaches.

One of the two was the now-defunct Kings International Business School (KIBS).

The Council for Private Education (CPE) found that the school had offered, and awarded to some students, diplomas in maritime studies without requiring them to attend classes or complete assessments.

KIBS’ directors were charged in court on June 1.

One other school failed to renew its registration as it did not meet the minimum standards set out in the Enhanced Registration Framework.

Mr Brandon Lee, CPE’s chief executive, told The New Paper in an interview last week that several private education institutes closed last year for their own commercial reasons.

He said: “Ultimately, the PEI (private education institute) industry is an open market, subject to rules and regulations to protect students.”

CONCERN

Addressing the two regulatory closures in a speech at a Singapore Association for Private Education (SAPE) conference in October, Mr Lee also pointed out there is a concern that the sector may fall back into disrepute, going back to the times that predate the formation of the statutory board.

Back then, before the private school industry had any form of regulation, it was rocked by many closures of schools, including those that offered unaccredited or fake degrees to unsuspecting students.

The exponential growth of the sector – from 305 private schools in 1997 to 1,200 in 2007 – had resulted in a “highly uneven spread of academic and governance standards” among the schools, said then Senior Minister of State for Education S. Iswaran.

The CPE was set up in 2009 to be the watchdog of the private education sector, along with a Private Education Act that was passed the same year.

Then, the industry was expected to shrink from 1,000 to 600 schools.

Seven years on, the industry shake-up has gone further than expected.

Last year, there were about 77,000 Singaporeans and 29,000 foreigners in private schools, down from about 100,000 Singaporeans and 35,000 foreigners three years ago.

The number of private schools has also dwindled to 300, compared to 332 in 2012.

Chief executive officer for SIM Global Education, Dr Lee Kwok Cheong, said this is due to smaller cohort sizes, an increase in the number of places offered by public universities, and the effects of tighter regulation.

He told TNP: “I expect the drop in enrolment to continue with increased competition and further industry shake-up, but I will not be surprised by a few brave new entrants (in the sector).

“In the long run, the industry as a whole will benefit from a better reputation as only robust PEIs with quality, relevant courses will survive.”

Dr Lee, who is also the president for SAPE, said that there was a role for strong private education institutions to play, especially when they link up with companies and deliver students who have the relevant skills and knowledge.

“Regionally, demand for education and training, especially in the emerging markets, continues to grow. So there are new demands to be tapped outside of Singapore,” he said.

Private school diploma is now ‘worthless piece of paper’

Fresh out of ITE with a Nitec in electronics, Mr Tay Guang Qiang decided to go for a diploma course with the now-defunct School of Applied Studies (SAS) to increase his chances of employment.

But within six months of graduation, the 29-year-old had his certificate reduced to a “worthless piece of paper”.

The private school in Park Mall, which offered diplomas in psychology, hospitality management, and business studies, closed suddenly in 2010 due to financial difficulties, leaving 300 students stranded.

Said Mr Tay: “Yes, I may have graduated, but there’s no such school any more, which means the recognition (of the diploma when it comes to) employment is difficult.”

He said: “It’s a waste of $10,000 on a diploma.”

The school manager was fined $16,000 in 2013 for failing to refund students, failing to keep accurate student records, and making a false statement to the Council for Private Education to attain the EduTrust certification.

Mr Tay first set his sights on SAS’ one-year diploma course in business administration because of its short duration.

Both the location and the school environment were good, said Mr Tay, who did not suspect a thing when he was attending night classes two or three times a week.

SCRUTINISED

“Lessons were useful and we had group assignments and exams… Who knew? I never thought it would close down,” he said.

His business administration diploma, which was meant to help him quickly secure a job, was instead scrutinised and doubted by potential employers.

“My chances of employment were 50-50 due to the certificate, and the fact that the school wasn’t well-recognised,” Mr Tay said.

He finally landed his first job in 2011 after five interviews over three months.

Now a recruitment consultant, Mr Tay felt that he snagged the job because it does “not need much education requirement”.

He said he does not feel cheated by SAS and if he decides to study for another diploma, he would still opt for a private education school – but a “more established and recognised” one.

“(It just feels) somehow wasted but, well, I have to accept the fact and move on,” he said.


This article was first published on June 16, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 16, 2016 – 21:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Scrutiny on private education sector: Man spent 2 years, $10,000 on bogus degree
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Singapore, Australia sign agreement to help fintech firms

0

SINGAPORE – Singaporean and Australian regulators signed an agreement to help financial technology firms in the two countries establish initial discussions in eachother’s market faster and receive advice on required licences, the Monetary Authority of…

Source link

Go-Ahead Singapore hits hiring milestone ahead of September launch

0

The UK-based bus operator says it has hired 655 of the 700 bus captain positions, but only three of the locals hired are female. 

Source link

Go Ahead Singapore bus captains hiring on track

0

SINGAPORE – Fourth public transport Go-Ahead Singapore has hired more than 90 per cent of the 700 bus captains it needs and should be able to meet its quota by next month, ahead of the launch of its services in September.
Of these, half are employees of SBS…

Source link

Taylor Swift spotted making out with Tom Hiddleston after breakup with Calvin Harris

0

Pop singer Taylor Swift has been spotted kissing at a beach near her home with ‘Thor’ star Tom Hiddleston and they are no longer keeping their relationship ‘low-key’.

The ‘Shake It Off’ hitmaker – who recently split from DJ Calvin Harris – was photographed getting close to Hiddleston on Misquamicut beach in Watch Hill, Rhode Island.

An insider said: “They were all over each other – hugging and kissing – even though there were 20 people coming and going on the beach. They looked like any young couple madly in love without a care in the world.”

Whilst another source close to Taylor added to The Sun newspaper: “Tom has been courting Taylor since they met – he sent her flowers. She’s been won over.”

In the romantic photographs, the 26-year-old singer leaned her head on the 35-year-old actor’s shoulder and he even gave her his coat to shield her from the wind. They posed for selfies and couldn’t keep their hands off each other as they enjoyed the sea air.

Meanwhile, it was previously revealed that Taylor knew her split from Calvin was “for the best”.

A source said: “Taylor is not sad anymore about the breakup. She knows it was for the best. They are not on bad terms. They have communicated since the breakup, but getting back together is something that’s not in the cards for either of them.

“Taylor is hanging out with her friends and keeping busy. She wants to be single for a while and have a relaxing summer. She has some plans to travel this summer. Taylor has also been writing new music.”


Go to Lollipop for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 16, 2016 – 13:54
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

S'pore musician Nizam dies from cancer

0

Singapore’s 1980s musicians lost a brother on Tuesday.

Abdul Nizam Abdul Hamid, 50, sang, played drums and later helped record that part of Singapore history.

Nizam, as he was best known, played for two popular local bands before turning to film-making and producing award-winning work.

The drummer and vocalist of 1980s indie band NoNames died on Tuesday evening after battling cancer.

Bandmate Vincent Lee, who now works in the automotive industry, told The New Paper that Nizam died after complications from liver, lung and pancreatic cancer.

The NoNames were formed in 1986 by Nizam and his schoolmates from Anglo-Chinese School — Lee, Choo Jong Aik and Dennis Lim.

Mr Lee told TNP that Nizam was “like a brother to me”. He said: “We had our own input in the band but he (Nizam) always had the star factor. He was the leader.”

Mr Lee said Nizam played drums on another band The Oddfellows’ debut album, Teenage Head, which was released in 1991.

Oddfellows’ lead singer Patrick Chng said in a Facebook post that Nizam also played drums for their second album, Carnival.

“I learnt how to play drums by watching Nizam,” he said in the post, which also thanked Nizam for “the memories and the good times”.

Nizam, along with Mr Lee, who was NoNames’ bassist at the time, joined The Oddfellows on tour in Malaysia to promote Teenage Head in 1992.

Mr Ivan Thomasz, administrator of the NoNames Facebook page, posted: “I will always remember Nizam as a jovial, humble and lovable man with a big, generous heart, and most of all as a soulful singer and performer who always commanded your attention every time he took to the stage with his band.”

Mr Lee added: “As a band, we were always intrigued by the arts, but he had a stronger affinity for films.”

So it did not surprise his friends when Nizam went back to school to study film-making and found his second calling.

AWARD-WINNING

During his final year at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Nizam directed a short film called Datura, which won the Best Short Film prize at the Singapore International Film Festival in 1999.

The 18-minute film explores what it meant to be Malay and Muslim in a modern society.

Last year, Panuksmi Hardjowirogo, a producer from M’GO Films, collaborated with Nizam on an SG50 documentary called (re)Surfacing: 50 Years Of Alternative Music In Singapore.

He told TNP: “I watched his earlier films and was also aware of his past involvement in the Singapore indie music scene. “The fact that he knew many of the musicians really helped get the film made.”

On the NoNames Facebook page, condolences came from near and far.

Spain-based former Straitjacket singer Reynold Godwin Pereira dedicated Neil Young’s song Powderfinger to Nizam and NoNames.

Nizam is survived by his mother and wife.

asyikiny@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on June 16, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 16, 2016 – 21:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Movie Review: Un + Une (R21)

0

Jean Dujardin is as charming as always.

The French Oscar winner for 2011’s The Artist is overflowing with charisma as a film composer who loves the idea of love.

In Un + Une, he travels to India to score a romance…

Source link

Man gets 8 weeks jail, 5-year driving ban for minibus accident that killed couple

0

SINGAPORE – Despite not having the requisite licence, this man decided to drive his friend’s minivan to visit his father in hospital. But along the way, he collided into a motorcycle, killing both the rider and his wife.
Nigel John Retnam, 22, was sentenced…

Source link

Business sentiment improves SMEs rises for first time in 7 quarters

0

Small- and medium-size enterprises in Singapore are “marginally optimistic” about their growth prospects in the next six months, according to the SBF-DP SME Index.

Source link

Man jailed for causing deaths of elderly couple in traffic accident

0

Nigel John Retnam had been driving a borrowed minibus along Yishun Avenue 2 when he crashed into a motorcycle in front of him. The rider and his wife, who was the pillion rider, were flung onto the road due to the impact.

Source link