Home Blog Page 3638

Bangladeshi paralysed in work accident gets $600,000

0

A Bangladeshi construction worker paralysed after a worksite accident was awarded about $600,000 in damages and costs by the High Court yesterday.

Mr Tarun Kumar Saha Manoj Kumar Saha, 32, suffered spinal injuries after he was knocked down from behind by a reversing forklift on Feb 3, 2013.

Deployed to do general renovation works at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, he was dealing with the driver of a crane, which was running, so he could not hear the vehicle reversing towards him.

Thrown a metre by the impact, he was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, where he had surgery to stabilise his fractured spine and right ankle.

Mr Tarun also received psychiatric treatment at the hospital, underwent rehabilitation and and was discharged into a private nursing home some two months later.

Through his lawyer, Mr Pritam Singh Gill, he sued his employer, sub- contractor Choon Construction, and the main site contractor, Hup Yew Sen Construction, for negligence.

The defendants, whose lawyers were from United Legal Alliance, at first argued that Mr Tarun was partly, if not wholly, to blame. But in October last year, both contractors accepted 85 per cent liability, leaving the sums payable to be assessed.

After a two-day assessment hearing, which ended yesterday, Judicial Commissioner Valerie Thean ordered that Mr Tarun be paid $323,700 for pain, suffering and loss of future earnings and $225,721 to meet medical expenses, contingencies and costs of appliances and materials for continued care.

The judge awarded another $50,000 in legal costs.

For Mr Tarun, the compensation was small comfort.

“Got money, but cannot do anything,” he told The Straits Times.

He came to Singapore in 2010, and moved up from construction worker to become an assistant to the site supervisor.

He was an active sportsman, and had plans to marry, but his fiancee left him when he became disabled.

Mr Tarun said when doctors first told him he was permanently paralysed, he was devastated. He thought of suicide.

An only son and sole breadwinner, he now lives with his parents, aged 75 and 70, in their village home some 300km from Dhaka.

He said: “My parents became depressed when they saw me in a wheelchair. I was still depressed but kept it to myself. I pretended to give them confidence as I knew if I showed them that I was sad, they could go into deep depression and become sick.”

He needs a male nurse, who goes to the house daily to attend to him.

He left for Dhaka last night. “My village is not like Singapore. Not much a handicap can do or go to.”


This article was first published on Jun 18, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 15:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

'One in 4 parents flouts seat belt rules'

0

Most parents are aware of the rules governing the use of car seats for children and always belt up their children when on the move.

A Straits Times street poll of 50 parents on Wednesday found that nearly 75 per cent of parents ensure that their children are secured in car seats, as required by law.

On Tuesday morning, a Honda sedan skidded and crashed into a tree in Lentor Avenue, killing a woman and injuring her husband and two children.

Ms Sim Yee Ling, 33, who was seated in the back with her elder son Tan Yu Sen, six, was pronounced dead at the scene. The boy suffered spinal injuries. Her younger son, Wei Quan, three, sustained head injuries, while her husband Simon Tan, 42, who was driving, suffered a brain haemorrhage.

It remains unclear if they were wearing seat belts.

Drivers and passengers in motor vehicles are required by law to wear seat belts, unless medically exempted. The law also requires passengers under 1.35m to be secured with an appropriate child restraint or use a booster seat or adjustable seat belt, barring some exceptions.

In recent years, the number of drivers who failed to wear seat belts fell from 9,757 in 2013 to 7,375 last year, Traffic Police data shows.

Civil servant Vincent Teo, 34, who has a three-year-old son, said the recent accident “shows that you can never be too careful”.

He added: “My child sits in a booster in the back of the car with his seat belt fastened at all times. We’re very aware of safety while driving.”

However, some parents flout the rules as they find child car seats inconvenient, or rely on their driving skills for safety. Software developer Pang Gin Dee, 33, said: “We used to have a baby seat… but now, since my kid is four years old, we don’t use a booster seat; just seat belts.

“Boosters are too bulky and we need to fit other things, like prams, in the car. Accidents and injuries still can happen… I think it’s how you drive that matters most.”

Ms Linda Chia, 32, who works in software support and has a son in pre-school, also finds booster seats inconvenient. She said her son uses a booster seat, but not for short drives, or when the car is full.

“I know it’s not that safe. I’ll always try to hold on to him, just in case the car stops abruptly,” she said.

Under the Road Traffic Act, drivers and passengers found not using a seat belt or appropriate restraints can be fined up to $1,000 or jailed up to three months, or both.

Mr Bernard Tay, president of the Automobile Association of Singapore, said: “A properly fitted child restraint system can reduce fatal injuries by up to 80 per cent for toddlers and 90 per cent for infants.”

A car’s passive safety elements, such as the body shell, airbags, seat belts and headrests are not designed specifically for protecting children, and will not protect them properly during an accident, he added.

feliciac@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on Jun 18, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 14:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Four in 10 maids sleep in shared room: Poll

0

Four in 10 maids have to share their rooms, a survey by a migrant worker advocacy group has found, with a “surprising” number having to bunk in with men. And this is a situation that could leave them vulnerable.

While interviewing maids for a report on their living conditions, Transient Workers Count Too (TWC2) found that about 40 per cent of them share a room.

The findings were based on responses from 429 maids. Of the 171 who shared rooms, 11 did so with males aged 12 to 19, and another 11 shared a room with an adult male.

TWC2 executive committee member and past president John Gee said the findings were surprising.

The group released advance results from the survey to The Straits Times on Thursday.

The results are drawn from interviews with 472 maids, conducted from June 2014 to last month, and will form a longer report that will be published later.

TWC2 treasurer Alex Au said maids could be sharing a room with male family members who are elderly or have disabilities, but “she should have a right to a place of her own”.

He added: “If she is sharing a room with a male who is bigger and stronger than her, that makes her highly vulnerable.”A Manpower Ministry spokesman, in response to queries, said maids should not be made to sleep in the same room as a man or male teenager to protect their modesty.

Employers who contravene this regulation can be fined up to $10,000 or face a jail term of up to a year or both. However, exceptions may be made if the adult male is elderly and disabled, and requires care, and the maid agrees to the arrangement.

The Humanitarian Organisation for Migration Economics (Home) released a report last year, which found that about a quarter of the 670 maids surveyed shared a room.

In the past six months, the group said it has encountered at least four cases in which maids said they shared a room with a man.

Home executive director Jolovan Wham recounted a case in which a maid shared a bedroom and toilet with her employer’s 18-year-old son.

She said she felt uncomfortable because she suspected he was behaving lewdly in the same room.

The Centre for Domestic Employees, which is run by the National Trades Union Congress, said it has not encountered such issues.

But its executive director of strategy, Mr Shamsul Kamar, said: “We would like to reiterate that it is the responsibility of the employers to provide acceptable accommodation that respects the privacy and modesty of foreign domestic workers.”

Maid agents agreed. Mr Karl Tan, 77, owner of Inter-Mares Management Services, said: “It is terribly unacceptable for a maid to share a room with a male, unless he is physically handicapped.”

A 40-year-old Indonesian maid, who declined to be named, told The Straits Times that she shares a room with her employer’s 23-year-old son, who has intellectual disability.

The man cannot speak clearly and she once woke up to find him feverish and in need of a doctor.

“He is unable to tell us that he’s in pain,” she said. “If I am in the same room, I can keep an eye on him and alert his parents.”

The maid added that she does not feel uncomfortable sharing a room with him. She has been working for the family of six, and living with them in their four-bedroom condominium unit, for about 16 years.

She said: “I’ve seen the boy grow up. I treat him the way I treat my own children.”

ljessie@sph.com.sg

oliviaho@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on June 18, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 14:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

SPCA celebrates opening of new premises with open house

0

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA)’s new premises at Sungei Tengah can now accommodate twice the number of animals.

Source link

Led Zeppelin bassist rejects 'Stairway' plagiarism claim

0

Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones appeared in court Friday to reject allegations that his bandmates had plagiarized an obscure instrumental rock song for their iconic hit “Stairway to Heaven.”

Robert Plant, 67, and Jimmy Page, 72, are being sued amid claims they stole the anthem’s melancholic opening guitar arpeggio from “Taurus,” from the first album of long-defunct LA psychedelic rock band Spirit.

Jones, 70, told the Los Angeles jury on the fourth day of a federal copyright infringement lawsuit he had no recollection of ever hearing Spirit.

The musician said he remembered first hearing what would become “Stairway” at a rehearsal room the band used in Hampshire, England, as he and guitarist Page worked up an early arrangement.

Spirit guitarist Randy California, who penned “Taurus,” long maintained he deserved a songwriting credit for “Stairway” but never took legal action and drowned in Hawaii in 1997.

A lawsuit filed by his trustee and friend Michael Skidmore two years ago seeks damages and claims California deserves a songwriting credit so that he can “take his place as an author of rock’s greatest song.” At stake in the closely watched legal action are potentially millions of dollars in royalties collected in the three years prior to the filing of the suit through this month.

Page, dressed all week in a black suit with his white hair in a ponytail, had told the jury on Thursday his chord progression had more in common with “Chim Chim Cher-ee” from the 1964 musical “Mary Poppins” than anything else.

Attorneys for Page and Plant called music expert Lawrence Ferrara, who said the only similarity between “Taurus” and “Stairway” was a “descending chromatic minor line progression” used by composers for more than 300 years.

“It’s a musical building block,” Ferrara testified, and “not a relevant similarity.” Playing an electronic keyboard for jurors, the expert performed “Taurus” and “Stairway” side by side, explaining that the two were “dramatically different.” Zeppelin opened for Spirit when the hard rockers – Plant, Page, John Paul Jones and the since deceased John Bonham – made their US debut on December 26, 1968 in Denver.

But the surviving members have submitted testimony that they never had substantive interaction with Spirit or listened to 1967’s “Taurus” before recording “Stairway” in December 1970 and January 1971.

The lawsuit lists disputes over 16 other Led Zeppelin songs, many of which were settled by giving the complainant a songwriting credit and royalties, including classics “Whole Lotta Love” and “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You.” The trial was adjourned until Tuesday.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 10:53
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 378 069
Hermes ID String: 
JLSTAIRWAY18
Hermes Author: 
LJESSICA
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Rio state declares financial emergency, requests funding for Olympics

0

Rio de Janeiro’s governor declared a state of financial emergency Friday and requested federal funds to help fulfill obligations for public services during the Olympics that start Aug. 5.

Emergency measures are needed to avoid “a total collapse in public security, health, education, transport and environmental management,” a decree in the state’s Official Gazette said.

The state’s revenue, largely tied to the petroleum industry, slumped in the last two years as global oil prices collapsed.

The announcement followed this week’s visit to Rio by Brazil’s Interim President Michel Temer, who said the federal government would ensure all obligations are met for a successful Games.

Rio is expecting about 500,000 foreign visitors during the Olympics, which has coincided with Brazil’s worst recession since the 1930s and a political crisis that last month led to the suspension of President Dilma Rousseff. “The state’s financial emergency in no way delays the delivery of Olympic projects and the promises assumed by the city of Rio,” Mayor Eduardo Paes said on Twitter.

He also underscored that legacy construction projects, with the exception of an 8.79 billion-real expansion of Rio’s metro that is expected to be finished just days before the Games open, are the responsibility of the city and that most have been completed.

The local organizing committee for the Games said the state’s fiscal situation did not impact its actual running of the Olympics, which relies entirely on private funds.

While the majority of Olympic infrastructure costs have been spread across city, state and federal budgets, with some financing from private companies, the state is responsible for most day-to-day security and health services in Rio.

The financial pinch resulted in a 30-percent cut in the state’s security budget – just as Rio has seen a jump in homicides and assaults in recent months, raising concerns about safety ahead of the Olympics.

The state of Rio expects a budget deficit of over 19 billion reais ($5.56 billion) this year as spending planned before oil prices fell outstrips revenue that is tumbling during Brazil’s recession.

Rio state’s debt has been downgraded several times.

On Wednesday, Fitch Ratings downgraded Rio’s debt rating to ‘B-‘ from ‘B+’, saying the state was suffering “a fast-deteriorating liquidity position.” Since late last year, the state has been forced to delay pension and salary payments and shutter some schools and hospitals, where crucial supplies, including medicines and syringes, are lacking.

Brazil is also facing an outbreak of the Zika virus, which has been linked to the birth defect microcephaly in which babies are born with abnormally small heads frequently associated with developmental issues.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 10:48
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 378 054
Hermes ID String: 
JLRIO18
Hermes Author: 
LJESSICA
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Hong Kong actress Christine Ng's husband seen in car with another woman

0

The daily also reported that Hong Kong actress Christine Ng’s husband of 17 years, Kasey Lin, was spotted spending two hours with a woman in a car, in an expose by the media on Wednesday.

Ambushed by reporters, Ng admitted that she was “a little upset” after reading the news.

The 47-year-old artiste said she did not know the woman and would find out more from Lin after she got home.

When asked whether she would divorce her husband, Ng said she would choose to trust him first.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 10:37
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Airline worker passes out after attack by passenger in Shenzhen airport

0

An airline counter employee in China passed out after allegedly being hit with an object by a passenger for failing to print out his friend’s itinerary, Sin Chew Daily reported.

It said the passenger had requested the staff member manning the counter at Shenzhen’s Bao’an Inter­national Airport to print out the itinerary in the recent incident.

The woman then asked the man to produce his friend’s identity card in order for her to execute the task.

The suspect, however, failed to do so but instead, hit the woman with an object.

She collapsed and was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment, the report added.

The man was detained for 10 days before being fined and asked to pay for the woman’s medical fees.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 10:29
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Fate of lovers destined 20 years ago

0

A couple found that their fate was tied together in a photo taken 20 years ago, reported dahe.cn on Monday.

25-year-old Wang Ming is a retired soldier in Lushi county in Central China’s Henan province. In 2011, Wang was introduced to Zhu Haiyan who works at a local dentist’s clinic, and the two became good friends.

What brought the two closer later is an old photo.

One day, Wang and Zhu talked about interesting memories from their childhood at Zhu’s home. Then, a photo from one of Zhu’s albums taken at a wedding ceremony 20 years ago caught Wang’s eye.

“The moment I laid my eyes on the photo, I was totally surprised. The boy in the photo looked just like me,” Wang said.

The photo was taken at a wedding ceremony held in 1996. In the photo, a groom and a bride walk on the street with relatives and friends around them. On the right corner of the photo, a boy and a girl are looking curiously at the newly-weds as they walk.

Wang took a picture of the photo and brought it to his family. After his family had examined it, it was confirmed that the boy in the photo was Wang Ming.

“We did not know each other before we were introduced to each other. How could we turn up in the same photo? Unbelievable.” Wang said.

The special photo seemed to convince them their love had been predestined. The two’s relationship deepened and five years after they met each other, they married.

“The appearance of this photo helps us cherish our relationship more, and I think we will be together for the rest of our life,” Zhu beams.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 09:47
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Lotte hires major law firms for defence as probe widens

0

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 09:38
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link