Home Blog Page 3595

In or out: British celebs share which side they're on in Brexit vote

0

Britain goes to the polls on Thursday (June 23) to decide if the country remains in or leaves the European Union.

Britain’s celebrities have weighed in on which side they are on, expressing their views on the issue and why they will be voting “in” or “out”.

Here is a list of some celebrities and how they feel about the Brexit referendum.

REMAIN CAMP

1. Daniel Craig

James Bond actor Daniel Craig posed for a photo while wearing a white T-shirt with the words: “No man is an island. No country by itself. Vote Remain on 23rd June.”

Turner Prize-winning photographer Wolfgang Tillmans said on Instagram that the photo was sent to him by the 007 star, according to Daily Mail Online .

2. J.K. Rowling

on Twitter

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is in the Remain camp and even compared the campaigners of the EU referendum to the notorious Potter villain, Lord Voldemort, news website mirror.co.uk reported.

Rowling said on her official website that “both sides of this campaign have been telling us stories” but she later expressed her preference for Britain staying in the EU: “We should be proud of our enduring desire to join together, seeking better, safer, fairer lives, for ourselves and for millions of others.”

3. Benedict Cumberbatch

English actor Benedict Cumberbatch, best known for playing Sherlock in the BBC series and for his Oscar-nominated role in The Imitation Game, is in favour of Britain remaining in the EU.

He was one of the many people from the arts who signed a letter urging for the UK to remain in Europe.

The joint letter was signed by 282 people, such as actors Jude Law, Keira Knightley and Dominic West, and was published in the Daily Telegraph.

4. Simon Cowell

X-Factor and Britain’s Got Talent mogul Simon Cowell in an interview with Mirror said it would be better for Britain to continue to be a part of the EU.

“I try to stay out of religion and politics,” he said. “But my gut feeling is I don’t think at this time – because it is a tricky time – you would want to be on your own on a tiny island.”

5. David and Victoria Beckham

I’m passionate about my country and whatever the result of Thursday’s referendum, we will always be Great. Each side has the right to their opinion and that should always be respected whatever the outcome of the European Referendum. I played my best year

Ex-footballer David Beckham said in an Instagram post: “We live in a vibrant and connected world where together as a people we are strong”, reflecting how he stood on the Brexit, according to The Telegraph.

His wife Victoria echoed his opinion: “I believe in my country, I believe in a future for my children where we are stronger together and I support the #remain campaign,” she said in an Instagram post.

6. Stephen Hawking

Renowned physicist Stephen Hawking urged British voters to support the Remain campaign.

“Gone are the days we could stand on our own, against the world,” he told ITV’s Good Morning Britain.

He added: “We need to be part of a larger group of nations, both for our security, and our trade.”

LEAVE CAMP:

1. John Cleese

on Twitter

Monty Python actor John Cleese showed he was all for Britain leaving the EU when he tweeted: “If I thought there was any chance of major reform in the EU, I’d vote to stay in. But there isn’t.Sad. Sorry, Paddy.”

According to news website mirror.co.uk, he also highlighted the EU’s flaws by stating that, “Britain had been swimming against the tide, but being in the EU had destroyed any trace of democratic accountability.”

2. Michael Caine

Academy Award-winning actor Michael Caine is for Britain’s exit from the EU, although he said that it would be “scary” for the country whichever way the vote went, Huffington Post reported.

Caine told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “You’ve now got in Europe a sort of government by proxy of everybody who has now got carried away and I think unless there’s some extremely significant changes we should get out.”

3. Roger Daltrey

Singer and actor Roger Daltrey, frontman of rock band The Who, expressed his pro-Brexit sentiments in an interview with UK’s newspaper, The Sun.

“The only way we’re going to get the Europe that we want is to get rid of this bunch of f***ing useless w***ers that are running it,” he declared.

4. Julian Fellowes

Julian Fellowes, creator of the TV series Downton Abbey, is a strong supporter of the Leave camp.

According to Daily Mail Online, the Oscar-winning screenwriter and director, said: “I believe we should be out. It’s about philosophy, it’s about democracy, it’s about democracy versus autocracy, all of those issues.

“It’s not just that I think they are important – because they are – but I think it’s the wrong direction,”he added.

5. Sol Campbell

Former England international footballer Sol Campbell said leaving the EU would push the British football clubs to pay more attention to grooming young British athletes.

According to The International Business Times, Campbell wrote: “We are seeing teams load up with too many mediocre overseas footballers, especially from Europe, crowding out young English and British talent.”

6. Elizabeth Hurley

on Twitter

English actress and model Elizabeth Hurley explained her pro-Brexit stance: “If it means we can go back to using decent lightbulbs and choose high-powered hairdryers and vacuum cleaners if we so wish, I’m joining Brexit for sure,” reported mirror.co.uk.

In a tweet on the benefits of non-membership in EU, she asked: “If we leave the EU does that mean we get our gorgeous British passports back? And don’t have to stand in the EU lines at Heathrow???”

Sources: Daily Mail Online, mirror.co.uk, Daily Telegraph, The Telegraph, Good Morning Britain, Press Association, International Business Times, Huffington Post, BBC News, The Sun


This article was first published on June 22, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 23, 2016 – 12:10
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Free early morning MRT rides to be extended to 2017

0

SINGAPORE – Free early morning train rides into the city have been extended – for a third time – to June 30, 2017.

Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo made the announcement on Thursday (June 23) after giving an update on the scheme, which was introduced by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) in 2013.

About 65,000 commuters use the Free Pre-Peak Travel scheme daily, Mrs Teo said at Travel Smart Day 2016 held at Asia Square.

There has been a sustained reduction of 7 to 8 per cent in the number of commuters during the morning peak period, according to LTA.

The scheme was initially launched in June 2013 as a year-long trial but was extended twice and was due to end on June 30 this year.

Under the programme, commuters who end their journey before 7.45am on weekdays at 18 designated MRT stations get to ride for free.

Those who exit at these 18 stations between 7.45am and 8am get a discount of up to $0.50 off their train fare.

The 18 designated stations are Bayfront, Bras Basah, Bugis, Chinatown, City Hall, Clarke Quay, Dhoby Ghaut, Downtown, Esplanade, Lavender, Marina Bay, Orchard, Outram Park, Promenade, Raffles Place, Somerset, Tanjong Pagar and Telok Ayer.

maryanns@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 23, 2016 – 11:55
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Weightlifting: Russia faces ban from Olympic weightlifting

0

PARIS – Weightlifting’s governing body on Wednesday put Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus on notice that they face being banned from the Rio Olympics over repeat doping offences.

North Korea was among four other nations facing sanctions over the use of banned substances as the sport seeks to clean its image.

The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) action could not have come at a worse time for Russia whose track and field athletes have been suspended from the Rio Games in August.

The IWF executive announced this month that 20 suspicious cases had been found in retests of samples from the 2008 and 2012 Olympics in Beijing and London.

Its executive decided at a meeting on Wednesday that countries with three or more failed tests among the suspicious cases would be banned for a year. It named Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus as the countries facing suspension.

A final decision will be taken after the International Olympic Committee confirms whether the second samples from the weightlifters were also positive.

The IWF executive also “expressed disappointment” at the appointment of Russian weightlifting chief Sergey Syrtsov as head of the European Weightlifting Federation’s anti-doping commission.

“Given the current environment, the IWF executive board strongly suggests that Mr. Syrtsov and the European Weightlifting Federation reconsiders the appointment to this particular position,” said a statement.

The IWF has already banned Bulgaria from the Olympics for doping.

It has ordered additional sanctions on North Korea, Romania, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan and Moldova because of repeat doping cases during the qualification period for the Olympics. This could affect the number of weightlifers they can send to Rio.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 23, 2016 – 12:07
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Zara Spring/Summer Sale from 23 Jun 2016

0

ZARA Spring/Summer official sale has started

Zara Spring/Summer Sale from 23 Jun 2016

Zara Singapore has started their Spring/Summer Sale. The sale is also available online at their official website. Shop the sale together with your friends today.

Source

Public car park rates to rise in first revision after 14 years

0

SINGAPORE – The parking rates at all public car parks are set to be raised following an ongoing government review of both short-term and season parking schemes.
The price revision will be the first in 14 years.
The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) told…

Source link

17 injured in accident involving two lorries and a bus on AYE

0

SINGAPORE – A morning peak hour accident involving two lorries and a private bus on the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) left 17 people injured Thursday morning (June 23).
The accident happened around 7.15am on the AYE towards the city, before the Clementi Ave 6…

Source link

Parts of KPE, MCE will be closed on Sunday

0

On Jun 26, motorists driving on the MCE must exit to Central Boulevard at Exit 2, while motorists driving on the KPE must exit to Tampines Rd at Exit 9A.

Source link

Jack Ma pays $325 million for Faye Wong concert in Shanghai: Report

0

Although pop queen Faye Wong has taken an indefinite break from the entertainment industry, her comeback has been widely anticipated by many – and one such fan is Alibaba founder Jack Ma.

The Chinese billionaire has reportedly paid 1.6 billion yuan (s$325 million) for the diva to perform for two nights in Shanghai in December.

According to Apple Daily, the Dec 29 show will be a private concert for Ma and his close friends, while the second show on Dec 30 will be ticketed.

However, fans who are already thinking of buying the best tickets to catch the Ice Queen perform may have to think twice, as tickets will cost up to a whopping 13,888 yuan per person – estimated to be about S$2,830, making it one of the most expensive concert tickets to be sold.

The cheapest ticket is estimated to cost at least 3,000 yuan (S$610), reported Apple Daily.

The upcoming concert is said to be held exclusively in Shanghai’s 8,000 seater Mercedes-Benz Arena and will not be touring to Hong Kong.

The news outlet also reported that Wong is expected to hold a press conference in Beijing on Aug 15 to announce her comeback.

Wong’s manager confirmed the 46-year-old songstress’ end-year comeback to Apple Daily, but declined to reveal more details.

Wong, who had announced an “indefinite break” in 2005, was catapulted into the limelight again, facing intense media scrutiny after she and Hong Kong star Nicholas Tse rekindled their romance in 2014.

klim@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 23, 2016 – 11:13
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Ben & Jerry’s 3 Tubs for $29.50 (u.p. $41.70) & Other Must-Buys at Fairprice from 23 – 29 Jun 2016

0

IT’S BACK: Fairprice Ben & Jerry’s ice cream 3 pints for $29.50, Milo ice cream at $2.35 off for two, Mag-A-Cone & more

Ben & Jerry’s 3 Tubs for $29.50 (u.p. $41.70) & Other Must-Buys at Fairprice from 23 – 29 Jun 2016

Check out Fairprice’s latest must buy weekly deals featuring 3 tubs of Ben & Jerry’s for $29.50, Nestle ice cream (such as Milo) going at 2 for $11.95 and more from their latest weekly newspaper advertisements

Source

NSFs are finally getting free insurance: Here's what they think

0

I remember the time when a bunch of us botak (bald) national servicemen were herded into a lecture hall for a talk by insurance providerAviva.

It was day two since we enlisted, and now we were forced to listen to some insurance talk on how to better compensate ourselves in the event of anything bad happening.

As the representative from Aviva started the talk, pamphlets and brochures were given out.

To be honest, it was far from eventful, and everyone just wanted the talk to be over.

We were bombarded with convoluted insurance plans of various tiers, and at the end, ‘encouraged’ sign up.

Those who already had insurance plans naturally opted out, while those who do not, adopted a “what the heck” and “why not” attitude, and proceeded to sign on the dotted line.

At the end, many were left thinking, “Shouldn’t this be automatically be provided for in the first place?” and “I am serving my country, yet I still have to pay for my own safety?”

This was what insurance in the National Service used to be like – pressured into getting an insurance premium, and later see it eating away at what little allowance we were entitled to.

An Insurance Policy That People Agree Is Archaic

Facebook user Mah KY brought up a good point.

For the longest time, servicemen has been under the same old insurance policy, and many generations of NSFs have been paying for inadequate insurance.

Ask any family with multiple sons who have served, and they will all tell you the same thing when asked about insurance coverage while being enlisted.

This sentiment was also echoed by former presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian.

The ex-CEO of NTUC Income has called this move 50 years too late, even though it is a sensible one.

When I asked around my current and former NSFs on what they felt about the free insurance, most of them were cynical about the news:

Free Insurance For National Servicemen From 1 July

Yesterday evening, the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF), together with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), announced the availability of a fully paid for group insurance coverage for all active servicemen.

This new core scheme covers all active NSFs, Regulars during their period of employment, NSmen (Reservist), and also those in the Volunteer Corps.

The scheme is said to come in two parts – Group Term Life (GTL) and Group Personal Accident (GPA) and servicemen will receive $150,000 GTL and $150,000 GPA in coverage respectively.

“Our national servicemen form the backbone of the SAF and perform valuable service to our nation.

The provision of this GTL and GPA insurance, which is on top of our current welfare and compensation frameworks, is our way to thank them for their contributions to national defence.” – Director of National Service Affairs Colonel (NS) Simon Lim

The new scheme takes effect on 1st July for MHA personnel and 1st October for MINDEF personnel.

Higher premiums will still be available for signups should servicemen feel the need to have increased coverage.

This will be available under the Voluntary Scheme.

Why Is This Good News?

In light of the much publicised tragedy of NSF Dominique Sarron Lee, the public has called into question the practices in training to ensure the safety of servicemen, calling for more transparency and back-end support to be provided.

This bit of news will definitely benefit those that undergo more strenuous, and sometimes dangerous, training where mishaps could happen.

NSF Sherman told TODAY that because many NSFs struggled with their allowance, this free insurance will definitely help to ease their financial burdens so that those who are hard-pressed for money will no longer need to apply for other insurance schemes to give them greater assurance, should anything bad befall them when they are on active duty.

I for one am happy that NSFs are able to reap the benefits of this new initiative.

Admittedly, while I was an NSF, whenever my bank account showed a deduction of $20ish for my insurance, it irked the hell out of me.

Vulcan Post is all about living life with a digital edge, up and coming startups, and people who inspire conversations.
Visit Vulcan Post for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 23, 2016 – 11:02
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link