Home Blog Page 3579

Guardian Up to 50% Off Weekend Flash Sale from 25 – 26 Jun 2016

0

48HRS ONLY: Guardian up to 50% off weekend flash sale, available online & at 8 outlets till 26 Jun

Guardian Up to 50% Off Weekend Flash Sale from 25 – 26 Jun 2016

Guardian will be having a Flash Sale this weekend from 25 June to 26 June 2016 featuring discounts of up to 50% on selected products as well as 3 for 2 promotions on more than 200 participating brands

Source

Cooking oil fails to dislodge girl's leg stuck in concrete slab in Joo Chiat

0

A girl was trapped for 40 minutes after her leg became stuck in a hole in a broken concrete slab on Thursday.

The family had just left Fatboy’s The Burger Bar at Joo Chiat Road after dinner when the accident happened.

The 11-year-old girl and her younger brother was playing outside the restaurant when she stepped on a broken concrete slab covering a drain, causing her right leg to become tightly wedged in the hole.

A waitress from the restaurant told Chinese evening paper Shin Min Daily News that the family left at about 6.30pm and the incident happened not long after.

For the next 40 minutes, the girl’s leg remained stuck as several people tried to free her.

LUBRICANT

Her father approached the restaurant for cooking oil, hoping to use it as a lubricant to dislodge his daughter’s leg, but he was unable to.

Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers later managed to “manually dislodge her leg” from the hole.

Throughout the ordeal, the girl did not cry, the waitress said.

A spokesman for SCDF said they received a call at about 6.45pm and sent a fire engine, a Red Rhino, two fire bikes and an ambulance to the scene.

The girl suffered minor abrasions on her leg and was taken by ambulance to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital.


This article was first published on June 25, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 25, 2016 – 13:48
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Screaming fans drown out Got7

0

Singaporean fans screamed so loud at the open press conference for popular K-pop group Got7 that they drowned out almost everything their idols said.

But that was hardly a problem, as all the band members had to do was stand and wave from the stage to elicit frenzied screams in the crowd.

As soon as the seven-member group showed up in the basement atrium at City Square Mall on Thursday night, the thousands of teenage fangirls who had staked out the area since morning screamed incessantly at the top of their lungs.

At one point during the 30-minute press conference, the event emcee asked the fans to quiet down a little if they wanted to hear their idols speak – but his words were swallowed up.

The band members themselves appeared amused at the situation and tried to raise their voices as they spoke into the microphones.

Rapper BamBam, 18, said that on his next vacation, he would choose to return to Singapore with his family. That statement only turned up the volume on the screaming.

When he was asked about his experience so far on the popular reality TV series Real Men with fellow member Jackson, 22, he said diplomatically: “What I really want is for all seven of us band members to be on Real Men.”

Real Men is a show where celebrities undergo military training in South Korea.

Jackson then prompted more shrieking when he playfully grabbed BamBam by the shoulders and said: “For me, the most memorable moments on Real Men would be the times when I’m looking after BamBam.”

Fans only hushed somewhat when Yugyeom, 18, showed off his vocal prowess. He sang a few lines impromptu after a reporter asked him what his hobbies were.

“I like to practise for the concert,” he said and proceeded to sing at Jackson’s goading.

Ms Karen Yeo, 25, who works in online sales and stood far at the back of the crowd, could barely see the band members’ faces, let alone make out their words. But she said that “everything was still worth it”.

“I got to hear them say ‘Hello’ from afar. That’s good enough for me.”

The band, which also include members JB, Junior, Youngjae, and Mark Tuan, were in town to play their first concert in Singapore, which was held at Suntec Convention Centre last night.

However, they have been here three times before – twice last year for fan meets and once this year to promote a K-pop hologram attraction at Resorts World Sentosa.


This article was first published on June 25, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 25, 2016 – 14:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

S'pore Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat out of hospital: PMO

0

SINGAPORE – Mr Heng Swee Keat, Singapore’s Minister for Finance, was discharged from Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) on Saturday (June 25), following an “excellent recovery” from a stroke he suffered on May 12, said the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in a…

Source link

Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat discharged after 'excellent recovery'

0

SINGAPORE – Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat was discharged from Tan Tock Seng Hospital today (June 25) after making an “excellent recovery” from a stroke.

According to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), the 54-year-old’s stroke had been caused by an aneurysm, which is a localised weakening of a blood vessel. 

The minister collapsed during a Cabinet meeting on the evening of May 12 and was taken to the hospital immediately. It was later revealed that he had suffered a stroke.

In a Facebook post, Mr Heng said: “The last few weeks were the toughest of my life. I could get through this time because of the strong support from my family, great medical care, and the kindness from all of you”. 

on Facebook

Home!

The last few weeks were the toughest of my life. I could get through this time because of the strong support…

Posted by Heng Swee Keat on Friday, 24 June 2016

He went on to thank his colleagues who helped him when he collapsed in Cabinet, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) personnel who had aided him as well as the staff at the hospital. 

He added that “prayers and good wishes” also made a difference and expressed gratitude for the prayers of “different religious groups”. 

Mr Heng will be on medical leave as he continues his rehabilitation process. Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam will continue to cover his duties as Minister of Finance.

prabukm@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 25, 2016 – 13:05
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

TRS co-founder pleads guilty; controlled bulk of ad earnings

0

Singaporean Yang Kaiheng was a key person behind The Real Singapore, and controlled the bulk of about A$550,000 in advertising revenue the sociopolitical website made from December 2012 to April last year, the State Court heard yesterday.

He also had a hand in almost every aspect of the website’s operations, from spearheading the development of mobile applications to deciding on which advertising platforms to work with.

The prosecution detailed his extensive involvement in the website yesterday when Yang pleaded guilty to six charges of sedition.

Two more charges – one of sedition and the other of failing to produce financial statements on the site’s advertising earnings to the police – will be taken into consideration in sentencing, which has been set for next Tuesday.

Yang, 27, was charged with deliberately sowing discord between Singaporeans and foreigners through a series of articles on TRS, which he co-founded with his wife Ai Takagi and a friend.

Takagi, 23, had pleaded guilty at the start of the hearing and was sentenced to 10 months in jail. She started serving her sentence in April.

Yang, however, had claimed trial, saying he was barely involved in the website.

But in an about-turn three days ago, he told the court he would plead guilty.

Related: Ai Takagi begins 10-month jail

Facts of the case presented by the prosecution show he was not only instrumental in setting up TRS, but had masterminded ways for it to generate more revenue.

The bulk of the money went towards paying for an apartment he bought jointly with Takagi, as well as his tuition fees at the University of Queensland in Australia.

Deputy Public Prosecutor G. Kannan said between December 2012 and 2013, A$91,819.34 of the website’s A$100,847.66 in advertising earnings had gone to Yang.

The money was credited to Takagi’s bank account every month. But she would transfer all of it to Yang’s account on the day the money came in or a few days later.

After they jointly set up a company to run TRS, the advertising revenue was paid to the company.

He also set up accounts on two websites, which let him source for freelancers providing IT services and track TRS’ online traffic.

These helped him enhance TRS.

Related: She pedded hate out of greed

Yang, being TRS’ proprietor, allowed Takagi to publish content on TRS and did not control or limit her, said DPP Kannan.

He also, among other things, had access to the site’s management tool and could add, remove and edit its content, as well as its structure and layout.

But he did not edit or remove content from TRS even when told that some of the articles had flouted Singapore laws, said DPP Kannan.

One of them had defamed a Singapore minister, and TRS was told to remove it and issue an apology. It did not comply.

When the minister tried to take legal action, TRS published a statement saying: “Sorry, your request does not comply with our privacy policy and is therefore rejected.”

The DPP said Yang “only elected to plead guilty after seven days of trial, after having been cross-examined for two days, and before the conclusion of cross-examination”.

He had also lied in court and hid his involvement in TRS during investigations, Mr Kannan added.


This article was first published on June 25, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 25, 2016 – 14:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
TRS co-founder pleaded guilty; controlled bulk of $550k in earnings
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Heng Swee Keat discharged from hospital: Prime Minister's Office

0

Mr Heng collapsed from a stroke during a Cabinet meeting on May 12. He has made an ‘excellent recovery’, said a statement from the Prime Minster’s Office.  

Source link

China tightens controls on paid-for internet search ads after death of student

0

BEIJING – China’s internet regulator said on Saturday that search engines should tighten management of paid-for ads in search results, making clear which results are paid-for and limiting their numbers.

The Chinese government already exercises widespread controls over the internet and has sought to codify that policy in law.

Chinese regulators last month imposed limits on the number of lucrative healthcare adverts carried by Baidu Inc following the death of a student who underwent an experimental cancer treatment which he found using China’s biggest internet search engine.

Wei Zexi, 21, died in April of a rare form of cancer, and the case sparked widespread public anger.

The Cyberspace Administration of China said search engines should investigate the “aptitude” of clients offering paid-for ads, set a clear upper limit on such ads and clearly distinguish which are paid-for ads and which come from “natural searches”. “Internet search providers should earnestly accept corporate responsibility towards society, and strengthen their own management in accordance with the law and rules, to provide objective, fair and authoritative search results to users,” it said.

Users have been particularly concerned with medical ads, which are a threat to people’s health, the regulator added.

Baidu did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Baidu’s CEO in May called on employees to put values before profit in response to the scandal around the death of Wei.

Search engines also have other problems, the regulator said. “Some search results contain rumours, obscenities, pornography, violence, murder, terrorism and other illegal information,” it said. “Some search results lack objectivity and fairness, go against corporate morals and standards, misleading and influencing people’s judgement.” Officials say internet restrictions, including the blocking of popular foreign sites like Google and Facebook, are needed to ensure security in the face of rising threats, such as terrorism.

Foreign governments and business groups have pointed to restrictions on the internet as a broader trade issue.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 25, 2016 – 12:36
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

PM Lee opens new centres to cater to families, seniors and youth in Ang Mo Kio

0

The four new centres are based within the community and are run by AMKFSC Community Services.

Source link

Singaporean athletes are not hungry enough to win: National Swimmer, Tao Li

0

National Swimmer Tao Li went “On the Record” about integrating foreign-born athletes, getting that hunger in Singapore’s athletes, and her thoughts on life outside the pool. 

Source link