Home Blog Page 3566

Easing of car loan curbs 'does not detract from car-lite vision'

0

The move to ease car loan curbs does not detract from Singapore’s vision of a car-lite society, said National Development Minister Lawrence Wong yesterday.

Instead, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) relaxed the loan curbs as they have achieved their objective of reducing inflation, he said.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Car-Free Sunday event, Mr Wong said the loan restrictions were introduced in February 2013 to put a lid on inflation.

“At that time, inflation was high and a big contributor to that high inflation was the certificate of entitlement (COE). So we took measures to address it,” he said.

“We are now not in a high inflation phase. We are in a negative inflation phase of our economy, so it is right that, given that the objective has been achieved, the MAS started to review and update the scheme,” said the minister, who is also a MAS board member.

“It does not detract from our overall objective, which is to continue with a car-lite vision,” he added.

The MAS made a surprise announcement last month to ease car loan curbs, allowing buyers to borrow up to 70 per cent of the purchase price and repay the loan within seven years, up from 60 per cent and five years previously.

This has caused a surge in demand for new cars, with COE premiums for cars rising by as much as 17 per cent this month. Premiums across all car categories after the latest tender are at their highest this year.

Mr Wong acknowledged that easing loan curbs has led to a higher demand for cars. “Initially, it may have some impact on demand but, over time, this is the right level of sustainable financing for cars,” he said.

However, he also noted that the car loan rules have not gone back to the days of liberal financing.

The MAS deregulated car loans in January 2003, and car buyers could take loans amounting to 100 per cent of purchase prices – meaning zero down payment – and stretch these loans for as long as 10 years.

Loan curbs were then imposed in February 2013.

Last month’s easing brought car loan rules to the level before January 2003, where loans were limited to 70 per cent of a vehicle’s purchase price, with repayment over a period no longer than seven years.


This article was first published on June 27, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 14:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Companies form alliance to tackle haze, deforestation

0

The alliance of five companies, known as the Singapore Alliance on Sustainable Palm Oil, aims to encourage more companies to switch to sustainably produced palm oil.

Source link

S'poreans seeking Aussie property face more loan hurdles

0

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 14:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

As flames rose, some Singapore Airlines passengers screamed 'Let us out!'

0

SINGAPORE – About two hours into an early Monday (June 27) morning flight from Singapore to Milan, Italy, the pilot of Singapore Airlines flight 368 announced over the public address system that the plane would have to turn back. An engine oil warning message…

Source link

Servicemen hail free insurance

0

A new Government move to provide free insurance coverage for both full-time and operationally ready national servicemen has given Singaporean sons a reason for cheer.

From July 1, the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) and the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) will provide life and group term insurance coverage of up to $150,000 each during the servicemen’s full-time national service or reservist duties.

The recommendation by the Committee to Strengthen National Service, made in recognition of the contributions of current and former men and women in uniform, drew positive reactions from those The Straits Times surveyed.

Said Mr Kane Chua, an operationally ready national serviceman (NSman): “This is good news. It will definitely save me money and administrative trouble.”

The 21-year-old who is waiting to enrol in university thought the move was “especially timely” for him as it will alleviate his financial burden when his school term starts.

Since 2009, the Government had increased the monthly allowance of NSmen by $20 to help pay for basic insurance coverage. The new joint scheme, when it kicks in, ensures they will not even have to draw down from this increment.

There are no plans to remove the additional $20 from servicemen’s monthly pay.

Full-time national serviceman (NSF) Lemuel Poh, 21, said: “The insurance will give me peace of mind during my combat duties as I know that I’m protected by default. Compensation claims are more reactive and in some cases not guaranteed.”

Mr Poh expects to deposit his resulting savings under the new POSB Save-As-You-Earn scheme, where NSFs can enjoy an interest rate of 2 per cent per annum.

The joint Mindef-MHA group insurance will also be extended to regulars in Mindef, the Singapore Armed Forces, and the Home Team (Uniformed Officers).

Experts were surprised at the generosity of the move as the total bill “will be substantial”.

Mr Ho Shu Huang, associate research fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies at Nanyang Technological University, said: “It shows an interest in refining how they look after the welfare of their servicemen, even if the cost may be high.”

The lecturer in military studies also wondered if it would get the rest of the country to start thinking about insurance protection.

“It’s been reported that Singaporeans are under-insured so this could be a welcome secondary benefit for the country as a whole.”

While agreeing that the provision of insurance was a generous move, Sembawang GRC MP Vikram Nair, chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Defence and Foreign Affairs, cautioned against asking for more too fast too soon. “This is a very generous and positive step, but welfare extensions continue to be subject to budgetary constraints,” he said.


This article was first published on June 27, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 15:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Seoul puts up road safety signs to warn 'smartphone zombies'

0

Office worker Kim Byung Jin, 35, has noticed something new on the pavement near Seoul’s City Hall on his way to the office.

It is a crossed-out circular sign showing a walking man looking at a smartphone in his hand and the words: Stay safe when walking.

The message is part of a new campaign by the Seoul city government and the National Police Agency to encourage road safety in a country with a smartphone penetration rate of more than 80 per cent.

Mr Kim, who first spotted the sign last week, said it was a good idea, but it was not enough to convince him to put his phone down.

“Walking around looking at the phone has become a habit for so many people. We are free to do so and no one seems to realise the danger in doing so,” he told The Straits Times.

This is an attitude that the Seoul city government hopes to change, given a sharp rise in traffic accidents involving smartphone users.

The figures speak for themselves. Such accidents have more than doubled over five years, from 437 in 2009 to 1,111 in 2014, in tandem with the increased use of smartphones from 2 per cent of the population in 2009 to 83 per cent last year, according to industry data.

In hyper-wired South Korea, smartphones not only connect people via social media, but they are also a main source of news and entertainment for people on the go.

Smartphone zombies – or pedestrians whose eyes are glued to their touch screens – are a common sight on the streets of Seoul.

Many also have earphones on, further putting themselves and other road users at risk.

A study by the Korea Transportation Safety Authority showed that pedestrians would normally notice sounds from cars or other sources from a distance of 14.4m, but the figure is halved for smartphone zombies, reducing their ability to react to potential dangers.

Schools have banned mobile phones since 2012 in a bid to prevent addiction and traffic accidents, and to encourage students to focus on their studies without the distraction.

Nearly two weeks ago, following the footsteps of other major cities around the world that have acted against smartphone zombies, Seoul started putting up 300 no-smartphone-when-walking signs around five densely populated, accident-prone areas.

These include areas around City Hall, the Gangnam and Jamsil subway stations, Yonsei University and Hongik University.

Out of these, 50 are triangular road safety signs attached to lamp posts or traffic light posts, which show a man looking at his smartphone almost colliding with a car.

They also carry the message: Beware of smartphone while walking.

The other 250 are circular signs plastered on pavements.

Mr Seo Seong Man, the official in charge of the scheme, said this is a pilot project to remind citizens about the dangers of using their smartphones when walking.

If it leads to a decrease in the number of accidents, the authorities will consider designating them as official road safety signs, Mr Seo added.

The Korean media, however, has questioned the effectiveness of the signs, citing observations of people who blatantly ignore them or fail to notice their presence.

This reporter counted, within the space of two hours, at least 50 pedestrians who were using their smartphones, oblivious to the new signs, at a major pedestrian crossing near City Hall last Friday.

Singaporean student Wun Cheng Mun, 23, who has lived in Seoul for the past two years, thinks it will take more than a few signs to change people’s behaviour.

Noting that she has seen many people dashing across the road without checking for vehicles before looking up from their phones to realise suddenly that the traffic light is in their favour, she said: “If the people crossing the road are not paying attention to cars, why would they notice a sign?”

The authorities should instead “try to increase awareness among children and teach them how to use the roads safely”, she added.

Mr Kim said imposing some form of punishment, like a fine, might work better, but added that it might be hard to enforce.

“The desire for change must come from within but, right now, no one really thinks texting while walking could be dangerous,” he said.

changmc@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on June 27, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 15:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

KPE, Nicoll Highway to get seamless link

0

Motorists using the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) to get to Nicoll Highway often find themselves stuck at the lights almost immediately after exiting the underground road.

This will soon be a thing of the past. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is building an underpass that allows a seamless drive from the KPE to Nicoll Highway.

The underpass – a short underground road that bypasses a traffic junction – is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

It is expected to eradicate, or shorten considerably, the long tailback often witnessed on weekday mornings at the KPE’s Nicoll exit. The jam has been a regular feature ever since the underground expressway opened in 2007.

The construction project, undertaken by Japan’s Sato Kogyo for $45 million, started in 2012 and is slated to be completed by this year.

In response to queries from The Straits Times, an LTA spokesman said: “The two-lane underpass will allow traffic from the KPE and Sims Way to get to Nicoll Highway directly, allowing (motorists) to bypass the junction.”

He said the underpass is part of road enhancement works that cater to the Singapore Sports Hub and other future developments in the area, adding: “Since 2014, we have already completed the widening of Kallang Road, Sims Avenue, Geylang Road, Sims Way, Mountbatten Road and Fort Road.”

Unlike most underpasses in Singapore which tend to be fairly straight and short, the new one forms a wide arc under the Mountbatten and Guillemard junction. The entire facility measures 300m, but the tunnel section spans only 90m. A similar project is Woodsville Tunnel in Upper Serangoon, completed in 2012.

When the new underpass is completed, motorists from the KPE will surface at the Nicoll Highway exit before going underground again shortly afterwards.

National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der Horng said the underpass will allow Singapore’s expressway network to be better connected.

“At the same time, there will be less interruptions for traffic on the surface,” he added.


This article was first published on Jun 27, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 14:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

75 people arrested after police raids at massage parlours, public entertainment outlets

0

SINGAPORE – A total of 75 people were arrested in a four-day enforcement blitz conducted by the police on unlicensed massage parlours and public entertainment outlets.

Eight parlours and eight entertainment outlets located at Orchard Road, Upper Thomson Road, Upper Paya Lebar Road, and Balestier Road were raided between last Thursday (June 23) and Sunday (June 26), police said in a news release.

The raids were led by officers from Tanglin Division.

The suspects – 66 women and nine men aged between 19 and 51 – were arrested for criminal and employment-related offences.

Actions were also taken against six unlicensed massage establishments and three public entertainment outlets for “flouting licensing conditions”.

“These operations are part of police’s ongoing enforcement efforts against crime and licensing infringements at unlicensed massage establishments and public entertainment outlets,” the news release added.

Earlier this month, the operators of seven massage parlours were charged in court for running their establishments without a valid licence.

Illegal services were understood to have been offered at some of the parlours.

The police said then that it had been cracking down on massage establishments in areas such as Chinatown, Little India, Jalan Besar and Jalan Sultan since the start of the year.


This article was first published on June 26, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 12:37
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Glass bridge in China cracks after people smash it with sledgehammers

0

A glass bridge in China was given the ultimate strength test on June 25 when 30 people took turns to smash it with sledgehammers.

Media outlets reported that the test was administered to refute claims that the bridge was not safe for use due to its inability to support the weight of people walking on it.

According to 9News, the bridge, which is located 300m above a canyon at the Tianmen Mountain National Park and spans 430m in the Zhangjiajie province, Hunan, consists of 99 panes of three-layered glass. 

30 citizens and tourists struck the glass panes with sledgehammers that weighed 5.5kg, resulting in cracks. However, South China Morning Post reported that a two-tonne vehicle subsequently managed to drive across the bridge successfully.

9News also reported that the bridge cost 250 million yuan (S$51 million) to build. 

Glass bridges appear to be something of a trend in China at present. In October last year, a glass bridge in the Yuntai Mountain area in the Henan province cracked, causing panic.

According to a Weibo user, there had been a loud ‘crack’ as he reached the end of the bridge. The bridge had also shook beneath his feet.

The bridge, which was suspended about 1,080m above a canyon, reportedly consisted of three layers and had the ability to support up to 800kg per sq m, according to officials. 

Not all bridges have been mired in controversy. A glass bridge constructed over a canyon along the Wuling mountain ranges in the Chongqing earlier this year has attracted many tourists.

This was the second glass bridge in Chongqing. A glass bridge was built early last year at the Grand Canyon Skywalk – suspended at a height of 718m above ground. 

prabukm@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 12:09
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Glass bridge in China cracks after people smash it with sledgehammers; survives car test
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Photos of Thai cabbie getting grabby with female passenger lead to suspension, fine

0

A taxi driver in Bangkok has been fined and suspended after photos of him inappropriately touching a female customer were shared online last week.

According to Bangkok Post, Somchai Simli is believed to have admitted verbally and sexually harassing the woman in his cab.

Photos shared on Facebook show the driver reaching over to touch the legs of a passenger seated behind.

on Facebook

แท็กซี่จิตหื่น! ลวนลามผู้โดยการขณะไปส่ง

@Sunanta_[เล่าว่า]: •(22’มิ.ย.59)•
รถมากับเพื่อน2คนแต่เพื่อนลงพัฒนาการ25แล้วแท…

Posted by YouLike (คลิปเด็ด) on Wednesday, 22 June 2016

According to information provided with the photos, the woman had entered the taxi with a friend on June 22. After her friend got off at the first destination, Somchai allegedly chatted with the woman before verbally abusing her reaching out to touch her.

An investigation, launched after the photos went viral, found that his driving licence had expired on August 21, 2015.

Local media reported on Friday (June 24) that Somchai has since been given a six-month suspension, and fined 5,000 baht. He is also being investigated on suspicions of drug use.

Baworn Taxi Cooperative, which owns the vehicle, will reportedly be fined for allowing the car to be used without registration papers, and for failing to report the driver’s information to Thai authorities.

ljessica@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 11:54
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link