Home Blog Page 3565

Philippine military admits abduction of Indonesians

0

Two days after Indonesian authorities reported the abduction of seven of their seamen by Filipino terrorists in the Sulu Sea, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) yesterday finally confirmed the incident.

AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said the Western Mindanao Command, which has jurisdiction over the area, reported that seven of 13 Indonesians, including the boat’s captain, were snatched from a tugboat on June 22 at 11 a.m. in the Sulu Sea.

“Information from ground units suggest the kidnap victims are possibly being held captive somewhere in Sulu,” Padilla said.

The Abu Sayyaf snatched 17 other Indonesian sailors in separate incidents in March and April, although they have since been released. Several Malaysians were also abducted.

Indonesia on Friday announced a halt to coal shipments to the Philippines until Manila could secure its own waters.

“The moratorium on coal exports to the Philippines will be extended until there is a guarantee for security from the Philippines government,” Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi told reporters.

Meanwhile, Reuters reported seeing a 20-minute video in which a man identified by Malaysian authorities as Mohd Rafi Udin, a Malaysian militant currently in Syria, speaks in Malay: “If you cannot go to [Syria], join up and go to the Philippines.”

In the video, Udin urges Muslims to unite under the leadership of Abu Abdullah, also known as Isnilon Hapilon, a leader of the Abu Sayyaf, who pledged allegiance to Islamic State in January.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 15:12
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Emway Funtastic Red Hot Toys Sale at Changi City Point from 27 Jun – 3 Jul 2016

0

Toys sale up to 90% off at Changi City Point

Emway Funtastic Red Hot Toys Sale at Changi City Point from 27 Jun – 3 Jul 2016

Save up to 90% off branded toys at Emway’s toys sale at Changi City Point from 27 June to 3 July 2016, basement atrium

Source

Australian tree kangaroo to make S’pore its new home

0

SINGAPORE – An orphaned tree kangaroo from Adelaide Zoo will be making trek to its new home in Singapore next week. The kangaroo, called Makaia, will receive his final health checks from the veterinary team on Monday (June 27) before making his way here.
This…

Source link

‘Miracle’ Australian orphaned tree kangaroo to move to Singapore

0

Tree kangeroo Makaia, who made headlines in 2014 when he was adopted by a wallaby after the sudden death of his mother when he was just seven weeks old, will be joining the Singapore Zoo next week.

Source link

Roster of top stars honour Prince at annual BET awards

0

Stars paid tribute to the late singer Prince at Sunday’s Black Entertainment Television awards in a series of performances honoring the late singer, while veteran actor Samuel L. Jackson was honored for lifetime achievement.

The tributes came from entertainers ranging from Erykah Badu and the Roots to Stevie Wonder, Dave Chapelle and Jennifer Hudson, who sang one of Prince’s most iconic hits, “Purple Rain.” Prince, 57, died in April at his home in Minnesota.

The string of performances spanned the more-than three and one-half hour BET broadcast, which was hosted by Tracee Ellis Ross and Anthony Anderson from Los Angeles’ Microsoft Theater.

Boxer Muhammad Ali, who died earlier this month aged 74, was also honored in a special tribute which included his daughter, Laila and Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx.

Jackson, accepting BET’s Lifetime Achievement Award which usually honors musicians, paid tribute to fellow honoree Jesse Williams, who received the Humanitarian Award, calling the”Grey’s Anatomy” star ” the closest thing I’ve heard to a 1960s activist.”

Top awards handed out at the ceremony included best actor and actress to Michael Jordan and Taraji Henson respectively, while Bryson Tiller was named best new artist as well as best male R&B pop artist. Rihanna took best female R&B pop artist.

Drake & Future won best group, Beyonce’s “Formation” took the award for video of the year, and Drake, who led the nominations with nine, also took home the prize for best male hip-hop artist. Nicki Minaj won best female hip-hop artist.

Sportswoman and sportsman of the year went to Serena Williams and Stephen Curry.

Beyonce also opened the marathon show with a surprise performance of “Freedom,” appearing alongside Kendrick Lamar.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 13:53
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Top stars honour Prince at annual BET awards
Rotator Image: 
Hermes ID: 
2 398 836
Hermes ID String: 
SP_BET
Hermes Author: 
SPANAECH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Roster of top stars honor Prince at annual BET awards

0

Stars paid tribute to the late singer Prince at Sunday’s Black Entertainment Television awards in a series of performances honoring the late singer, while veteran actor Samuel L. Jackson was honored for lifetime achievement.

The tributes came from entertainers ranging from Erykah Badu and the Roots to Stevie Wonder, Dave Chapelle and Jennifer Hudson, who sang one of Prince’s most iconic hits, “Purple Rain.” Prince, 57, died in April at his home in Minnesota.

The string of performances spanned the more-than three and one-half hour BET broadcast, which was hosted by Tracee Ellis Ross and Anthony Anderson from Los Angeles’ Microsoft Theater.

Boxer Muhammad Ali, who died earlier this month aged 74, was also honored in a special tribute which included his daughter, Laila and Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx.

Jackson, accepting BET’s Lifetime Achievement Award which usually honors musicians, paid tribute to fellow honoree Jesse Williams, who received the Humanitarian Award, calling the”Grey’s Anatomy” star ” the closest thing I’ve heard to a 1960s activist.”

Top awards handed out at the ceremony included best actor and actress to Michael Jordan and Taraji Henson respectively, while Bryson Tiller was named best new artist as well as best male R&B pop artist. Rihanna took best female R&B pop artist.

Drake & Future won best group, Beyonce’s “Formation” took the award for video of the year, and Drake, who led the nominations with nine, also took home the prize for best male hip-hop artist. Nicki Minaj won best female hip-hop artist.

Sportswoman and sportsman of the year went to Serena Williams and Stephen Curry.

Beyonce also opened the marathon show with a surprise performance of “Freedom,” appearing alongside Kendrick Lamar.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 13:53
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 398 836
Hermes ID String: 
SP_BET
Hermes Author: 
SPANAECH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Singapore cops arrest 75 in raids on massage, entertainment outlets

0

POLICE in Singapore launched a blitz on vice-related establishments last week, leading to the arrests of 75 people over the span of four days.

In a statement, the Singapore Police Force said the operation, which involved eight massage parlors and eight entertainment outlets, was conducted between June 23 and 26.

The police from the Tanglin Division raided outlets at Orchard Road, Upper Thomson Road, Upper Paya Lebar Road and Balestier Road, according to Channel News Asia.

The authorities said 66 women and nine men, aged between 19 and 51, were nabbed for various criminal offences. They were also alleged to have committed several employment-related offences.

Six unlicensed massage parlors and three entertainment outlets also faced action for breaching license conditions.

“These operations are part of (the) police’s ongoing enforcement efforts against crime and licensing infringements at unlicensed massage establishments and public entertainment outlets,” the authorities said, as quoted by Channel News Asia.

SEE ALSO: Singaporean man hacks woman’s Facebook account for friends’ breast pics

Meanwhile, a Singapore para-athlete was sentenced to 38 months in jail for his involvement in vice-related activities.

37-year-old Adam Kamis, who is also known as the “one-armed runner”, was also convicted of recruiting a 16-year-old girl for sexual exploitation.

According to The Straits Times, Adam had run a small sexual escort agency called SG Freelancers which gained the interest of several women who he had sex with in his Yishun flat.

The 34 women who expressed interest in taking up work with the agency were recruited via social media and were asked to conduct “testing” sessions with him before they were employed to entertain clients.

However, in the span of 2 and a half years since starting the agency in 2003, Adam had only gained five clients and had not earned any commission, a Singapore court heard.

Regarding the sexual exploitation charge, the court heard that Adam had unprotected sex with the 16-year-old girl on the pretext of testing her “skills”. Adam had told the girl that “nobody will find out” about the incident despite the girl’s reluctance.

Adam told the girl to charge clients $500 (US$368) for each session, half of which would go back to the agency.

Adam, who lost an arm in a motorcycle accident in 2003, was a gold medalist for the 1,500m event at the 2009 Asean Para Games, and has represented the country in the Commonwealth games.

The post Singapore cops arrest 75 in raids on massage, entertainment outlets appeared first on Asian Correspondent.

Source link

Football: Messi retires from international football

0

EAST RUTHERFORD, US – Lionel Messi sensationally announced his retirement from international football here Sunday after Argentina crashed to an upset defeat against Chile in the final of the Copa America.

The heartbroken Barcelona superstar was distraught after missing a spot-kick as Chile snatched victory in a penalty shoot-out – Messi’s fourth straight defeat in a major final while representing Argentina.

“For me the national team is over,” the crestfallen 29-year-old told reporters.

“I’ve done all I can, I’ve been in four finals and it hurts not to be a champion.

“It’s a hard moment for me and the team, and it’s difficult to say, but it’s over with the Argentina team.” Messi’s dramatic announcement followed Argentina’s third loss in a major final since 2014.

They were beaten 1-0 by Germany in the final of the World Cup in 2014 and lost on penalties, also to Chile, in the final of the 2015 Copa America.

Messi also tasted defeat with Argentina in the final of the 2007 Copa America.

Despite a glittering career that has seen him be named FIFA World Player of the Year on no fewer than five occasions, Messi has often faced baffling criticism from Argentina fans.

Although universally regarded as one of the greatest footballers ever, he has regularly been criticised for his failure to land a major title in the colours of Argentina.

Messi’s failure to match the achievements in the Argentina jersey of Diego Maradona, who single-handedly carried the team to victory in the 1986 World Cup, has often been held against him.

Maradona himself has often taken potshots at Messi, criticizing him on the eve of the tournament for a perceived “lack of personality.” “He’s a really good person, but he has no personality,” Maradona said in Paris shortly before the start of Euro 2016.

“He lacks the character to be a leader.” Messi’s bombshell decision comes after a gruelling season which was disrupted by injury last year.

He recovered to help Barcelona win the Spanish title once more and was relishing the prospect of leading Argentina to glory in the Copa America Centenario.

His commitment to playing for Argentina was reflected in his decision to fly from Spain to Argentina for a low-key friendly against Honduras shortly before the tournament, where he suffered a back injury.

He then returned to Spain to give evidence at his trial for tax fraud before jetting off to the United States to join up with his Argentina team-mates.

Although he was injured for his team’s opening group game against Chile, he came on as a substitute in a 5-0 hammering of Panama to score a hat-trick in 19 minutes.

He then equalled Argentina’s international goalscoring record of 54, held by Gabriel Batistuta, in the quarter-finals before setting a new mark with his 55th international goal in the semi-final win over the United States.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 13:34
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 398 785
Hermes ID String: 
SP_MESSI
Hermes Author: 
SPANAECH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Corporate alliance aims to deliver 'haze-free' products

0

SINGAPORE – After the public outcry over the prolonged haze pollution in 2015, a group of companies in Singapore have founded an alliance to increase the use of sustainably produced palm oil (CSPO).
The Singapore Alliance for Sustainable Palm Oil, launched on…

Source link

Philippines' Duterte says wants death penalty for revenge

0

MANILA – Incoming Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on Monday hit out at “stupid” human rights campaigners, as he defended his imminent war on crime and emphasised the death penalty was for retribution.

Duterte gave a lengthy speech in his southern hometown of Davao to outline his vision for the nation once he takes office on Thursday, with a heavy focus on his controversial plans to fight crime.

“These human rights (groups), congressmen, how stupid you are,” Duterte said, as he highlighted their criticism of his plans to impose late-night curfews on children being out on the streets and to reintroduce the death penalty.

“I believe in retribution. Why? You should pay. When you kill someone, rape, you should die,” he said.

Duterte, 71, won last month’s presidential elections in a landslide after campaigning largely on a platform of ending rampant crime, warning that the Philippines was in danger of becoming a narco-state.

He promised that tens of thousands of people would die, with security forces being given shoot to kill orders.

Since winning Duterte has also promised to give bounties to police for killing drug dealers, and also encouraged ordinary citizens to kill or arrest suspects.

Duterte has been accused of links to vigilante death squads during his nearly two decades as mayor of Davao, which rights groups say have killed more than 1,000 people.

Local and foreign human rights groups have expressed deep concern about his plans as president, fearing an explosion of extrajudicial killings similar to those seen in Davao.

The United Nations’ human rights chief, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, this month urged Duterte not to reintroduce the death penalty, while criticising other elements of the planned war on crime.

“The offer of bounties and other rewards for murder by vigilantes, and his encouragement of extrajudicial killings by security forces, are massive and damaging steps backwards which could lead to widespread violence and chaos,” Zeid said.

With just three days before assuming the presidency, Duterte stood firm.

“When they describe or characterise a human rights violator, these fools make it appear that the people you kill are saints, as if they are pitiful or innocent,” he said.

Duterte said European ambassadors were also among those who had expressed concern over the death penalty and extrajudicial killings.

The Philippines abolished the death penalty in 2006 following fierce opposition from the Catholic Church, the religion of 80 percent of Filipinos.

Duterte previously said he preferred death by hanging to a firing squad because he did not want to waste bullets, and because he believed snapping the spine with a noose was more humane.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 13:18
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 398 770
Hermes ID String: 
SP_PHILREVENGE
Hermes Author: 
SPANAECH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link