Home Blog Page 3537

Yuna keeps it fresh and new in new album

0

SINGER Yuna (pic) has described her third album Chapters as “something new and fresh” in an interview with Harian Metro.

“I only wanted to focus on producing songs which are close to my heart,” said the 29-year-old singer, who is based in the United States.

Since its debut, Chapters has been ranked among the Top 20 R&B albums by Rolling Stone magazine editor Mosi Reeves.

Yuna said there was a time when she felt disappointed with the local music industry for only wanting her to produce the latest hits suitable for radio stations.

“While I was working on this album, I rid myself of that feeling.

“I was really excited with the songwriting and thrilled to have the chance to work with famous producers such as Fisticuffs, Robin Hannibal and DJ Premier,” she added.

The album also includes her latest song Crush, a duet with American R&B star Usher.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 10:44
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

HDB, URA car park rates to go up from Dec 1

0

SINGAPORE – Housing & Development Board (HDB) and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) car park charges for short-term and season parking schemes will go up from Dec 1 this year.
The parking charge for car parks outside of the restricted zone and…

Source link

Singapore May bank lending up on higher manufacturing loans

0

SINGAPORE – Singapore’s total bank lending in May rose from April on stronger demand for manufacturing loans, central bank data showed on Thursday (June 30).
Loans and advances by domestic banks in the city-state amounted to S$592.8 billion in May, data from…

Source link

UOB suspends London property loans after Brexit

0

United Overseas Bank (UOB), Singapore’s third-largest lender, has suspended its loans programme for London properties in the wake of uncertainties caused by Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.

Source link

Japan's monk-for-hire services raise ire

0

MORE people in Japan are going online to arrange for monks to hold funerals and Buddhist memorial services, instead of using those from their family temples.

The popularity of the Internet services is fuelled by an easy-to-understand pricing system and people’s growing detachment from family temples.

Some Buddhist groups denounce the service, saying that it “commercialises religious acts”.

A 48-year-old part-time worker tapped on monk-dispatching service Terakuru to hold a Buddhist memorial service at a temple in Osaka last month for her late father.

The fee was 42,000 yen (S$552) and covered sutra chanting, a service to lay the remains to rest, sect designation, gratuity and other items.

“We could properly pay tribute to my father. The pricing was easy to understand,” the woman said.

Terakuru started in 2012 and has 450 temples on its register.

Monthly users of the service have risen from an initial 150 to 500.

Tomomi Hatta, general manager of sales at management company Uniquest Online in Osaka, said: “When monks are eager to provide superior service, they try to give Buddhist sermons that are easily understood. That gives users satisfaction.”

Dispatch monk services with fixed-rate pricing have become noticeable over the last five or six years.

Today, scores of companies offer such services.

In December, major Internet retailer Amazon Japan G.K. began dealing with Obosan-Bin, or monk post, in Tokyo. It is offered by Minrevi, which is involved in the funeral industry.

The service has attracted considerable publicity.

One reason for the trend is that more people are no longer affiliated with a family temple.

They are also unsure what is a standard cost for funeral services, as prices for a dharma can vary widely, from 150,000 to one million yen.

In a survey of 500 people aged above 40 that was done last year by Jiinkeiei.com, 64 per cent said they did not belong to any temple.

Of those who belonged to a temple, half were dissatisfied with theirs. Some 80 per cent of those complaints were related to financial issues, such as expensive offerings.

Meanwhile, running a temple is increasingly difficult because of ageing supporters and a decline in the number of younger members.

Said Katsuhiko Enomoto, 52, chief priest of the Saieiji temple Tokyo branch: “We don’t know what it will be like in 10 years’ time.

“Many monks have a sense of crisis about the future.”

His temple has registered with a dispatch monk service to boost its finances.

But the country’s Buddhist monk society is generally against these services.

The Japan Buddhist Federation said: “Fixed-price specification turns religion into a business.”

Earlier in March, the federation asked Amazon to stop dealing with the services.

While the offerings received by religious institutions are tax-free, dispatch services conducted through businesses are taxable.

Amazon refused to reveal its response to the federation’s request and continues to offer the services.


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 09:35
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Michael Phelps qualifies for fifth Olympics

0

OMAHA, United States – Michael Phelps qualified for a milestone fifth Olympics Wednesday, booking his ticket to the Rio Games with a 200m butterfly victory at the US swimming trials.

Phelps, whose record 22 Olympic medals include an astonishing 18 gold, clocked 1min 54.84sec to triumph over Tom Shields and become the first man to make a fifth US Olympic swimming team.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 09:24
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Time capsule and corner stone found at cathedral here

0

A 173-YEAR-OLD time capsule and granite foundation stone of the country’s oldest Catholic church have been unearthed, in what experts describe as a “rare discovery”.

Contractors found the hitherto missing capsule and foundation stone earlier this year while restoring the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd along Queen Street.

The time capsule – possibly the oldest one found here – comprises publications such as a prayer booklet and newspapers from 1843, as well as 24 international 18th- and 19th-century coins and tokens.

Meanwhile, a foundation or corner stone is the first stone set in the construction of a masonry foundation.

Ho Weng Hin of Studio Lapis, the cathedral’s conservation specialist consultant, said both artefacts mark the times in which they were constructed and embodied the values the community held dear.

They were buried by one of Singapore’s early founding communities – French Catholic missionary priests of the church, among others.

Highlighting the significance, archaeologist Lim Chen Sian said: “A church being erected in mid-19th century is a major event for the nascent European community… remember, it’s just about 24 years since Singapore’s founding.”

It was also one of the largest and monumental buildings of its time, experts said.

The church was conferred the status of a cathedral – the seat of a bishop – later in 1888. It was gazetted as a national monument in 1973.

The time-capsule pit, about the size of a shoe box, was found under a column base on a series of granite steps along the cathedral’s Victoria Street facade on Jan 29. It had been sealed shut by the foundation stone.


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 09:16
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Regulars bid farewell to 31-year-old Funan

0

THERE have been more cardboard boxes than customers in the shops at Funan DigitaLife Mall on some evenings this week while the piped music has been accompanied by the sound of tape being pulled from dispensers.

The six-storey North Bridge Road shopping centre, which specialises in electronics and IT-related goods, will close its doors for the final time tonight after 31 years.

Its owner, CapitaLand Mall Trust Management, plans to redevelop the mall into what it describes as an “experiential creative hub” over the next three years.

Tenants began clearance sales in April and most of them have emptied at least half of their shelves.

Funan DigitaLife Mall opened in 1985 and was called Funan Centre until it was renamed Funan The IT Mall in 1997 to reflect its identity as a retail hub for electronic gadgets. It was given its current name in 2005.

The Straits Times spoke to eight shop owners, all of whom plan to relocate.

Many are sad to see the old place go.

Alice Wong, 55, plans to move her DigiVue store to Peninsula Plaza in the coming weeks.

She said: “There is definitely a sense of nostalgia because we’ve been here for so long, over 20 years… and all our regulars know that we are here.”

Ways Lee, 34, took over the running of Make Fine Computer from his father, who set it up 21 years ago.

“I used to eat at the food stalls in the basement back when there were a lot of independent food stalls there, and I knew the bosses by name,” he said.

“The mall was definitely more crowded 10 to 15 years ago. Now, crowds have been diminishing because of a lot of competition from IT fairs at the expo every quarter and now we get the occasional customer, typically above 40 years old. We don’t really get many youngsters here now.”

Some regular patrons returned this week to take one final walkabout. Song Guan, 48, an IT support system engineer and keen photographer, has been a customer for a decade. He came on Tuesday to take photos “for memory’s sake”.

Retiree Gilbert Tham, 65, who lives nearby, said: “This mall is convenient, there are good food places and it’s a one-stop place for people to shop around for gadgets.

“Of course, there’s nostalgia… the older crowd feel it more, the younger people didn’t grow up with this place.”

Ashton Phua, 23, a student at the National University of Singapore, said the youth will generally gravitate towards buying things online but added that the mall’s closing would create a void in the IT community in Singapore.

“There is no other mall with the reputation and collection of stores like Funan,” he added.

A farewell celebration will be held for tenants at 6.30pm today.

trinak@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 09:15
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Promise to read? NLB gives away free books

0

Fewer people are borrowing books so, in a bid to encourage reading, the National Library Board (NLB) will be giving away books – to those who make a vow to read.

Those interested in getting their hands on these books can go to two mini mobile libraries this Saturday.

All they have to do is to sign an online pledge to read. In return, they will be given a choice of three books, previously from libraries here, from a range of genres, spanning children’s books to non-fiction.

These mini libraries – vans packed with books – will be parked this Saturday at Bishan- Ang Mo Kio Park, from 8am to 11am, and at East Coast Park, from 4pm to 7pm.

The book giveaway is part of the National Reading Movement, a campaign launched by the NLB to cultivate active reading habits in Singapore. Around 10,000 books will be given out.

It is also a response to the NLB’s borrowing records for 2015, which showed that 32.5 million books were loaned from public libraries nationwide. This number pales in comparison with the 38.5 million books loaned in 2012 when borrowing was at its peak.

The lower reading trend was also reflected in the first National Literary Reading and Writing Survey whose findings were released in March.

They showed that more than half of the 1,015 Singaporeans and permanent residents surveyed had not read a literary book between March 2014 and March 2015.

Kenneth Quek, deputy director of the National Book Development Council of Singapore, said though he sees people reading physical books on trains, reading for pleasure’s sake might not be a habit for many.

He added: “There are a lot of things that compete for our attention: television, movies, social media.

“With all these distractions, you first have to know the pleasure of reading before you become a regular reader.”

There are, however, people who have not forgotten the joys of the written word.

Ng Hongwen, a 23-year-old undergraduate, for instance, enjoys reading both literary works and online fan fiction.

She said reading provides an escape from the humdrum of daily life.

“Reading is enriching, and best of all, I don’t have to pay for it. Library books are free,” she added.

Stanley Tan, acting director of public library services (NLB), said the book giveaway drive aims to help people embark on a lifetime of reading.

“The idea is to introduce interesting reads to as many people as possible, in the most unexpected way.

“In the parks, we can reach out to families and encourage them to cultivate positive reading habits,” he added.

Sivaranjini Sathiamoorthy, 14, an NLB volunteer who will be involved in the giveaway, said she and her team of 30 are very excited to play a part in encouraging people to read more.

She added: “Books have been my passion since I was a child and reading has always been a big part of my life.”

“Reading also makes you gain general knowledge which you don’t get elsewhere.”


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 09:08
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

National runner, coach stuck at Turkey airport after attack

0

NATIONAL runner Dipna Lim-Prasad, along with national coach for sprints, relays and hurdles Luis Cunha, were among those who were stuck in Istanbul airport yesterday in the aftermath of the terror attack.

They were returning to Singapore from Portugal, where they were training and competing, and transiting at the Turkish capital on a Turkish Airlines flight.

Less than an hour before their flight – the first leg of their journey home – landed, a string of explosions hit Ata- turk Airport, Istanbul’s main international airport.

What was supposed to be a three-hour transit became a day-long stopover for the travelling pair.

Three suspected ISIS suicide bombers reportedly opened fire at the airport before blowing themselves up.

As of 8pm yesterday, 41 people were confirmed dead, and another 239 were wounded.

Thirteen of the dead were foreign nationals.

A tired Lim-Prasad, 25, told The Straits Times from Istanbul: “(I am) Shocked, sad. It happened about 30 minutes before we landed, we were just told there was an emergency.”

She was able to find out what happened as her Portugal mobile data still worked.

One attacker opened fire in the departure hall with an automatic rifle. All three then blew themselves up in or around the arrivals hall a floor below, said witnesses and officials.

The airport was shut for several hours. “We only disembarked three hours after we landed,” she said.

When they finally got into the terminal, they were faced with massive crowds of fellow passengers.

Some had become impatient and agitated as they were left stranded at the airport due to the lockdown.

The group’s connecting flight, TK54, was cancelled, as were most other flights that night.

After about eight hours of waiting, Lim-Prasad and Cunha finally secured their seats on the same flight back to Singapore, due to depart a day later.

She expressed her sympathy for the local airport staff, who had to deal with agitated passengers on top of having just gone through a crisis.

She said: “It (my tiredness) is nothing compared to the staff’s. Their friends were hurt or dead in their workplace and, after all of that, they still have to work and deal with some passengers who were rude.”

chiazya@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 08:54
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link