Home Blog Page 3535

10 ways President Duterte plans to change the Philippines

0

MANILA – Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as Philippine president on Thursday after a landslide election victory last month built on a series of bold and controversial pledges.

Here are 10 ways Duterte plans to change the Philippines during his six years as president:

1) Duterte has said he must take extreme measures to stop the Philippines becoming a narco-state. Security forces will be given shoot-to-kill orders. Bounties will be paid for killing drug dealers. Ordinary citizens will also be encouraged to kill suspects. The death penalty will be restored, by hanging.

2) Duterte, who rails against “Imperial Manila”, intends to change the centralised government to a federal system in which newly created states would have a large degree of autonomy. They would also be able to keep most of their revenues. Doing so will require rewriting the constitution.

3) Duterte insists he can end decades-old Muslim and communist rebellions, which have claimed tens of thousands of lives. Peace talks with the communists are set to start this month. He expects federalism will appease Muslim rebels, who want autonomy.

4) Duterte wants to slow the Philippines’ fast-growing population, which recently surged past 100 million. He says families should aim for a maximum of three children. Duterte wants government agencies to supply the poor with free condoms and birth control pills. A 2012 law allowing for that has not been fully implemented, partly due to opposition from the powerful Catholic church.

5) Duterte describes himself as a “socialist”, and has vowed to change an economic model that has created one of Asia’s biggest rich-poor divides. Roughly one quarter of the population live below the poverty line. He says federalism is one key to this. But he also plans to continue with the successful macro-economic policies of his predecessor, Benigno Aquino.

6) Duterte plans to roll out a nationwide curfew on children being on the streets alone late at night. He also wants to ban alcohol being served in public past midnight, and stop people from singing karaoke — a national passion — in public late in the late evening.

7) Duterte has promised to rid government agencies, police and the military of deep-rooted corruption. But aside from general statements, such as corrupt officials should “retire or die”, he has not explained how he would fix one of the Philippines’ most intractable problems.

8) Duterte intends to allow late dictator Ferdinand Marcos to be buried at a cemetery for national heroes, saying this will help end decades of social division over the issue. But human rights victims say this will help whitewash the dictator’s crimes.

9) Duterte is in favour of changing the constitution to lift restrictive foreign investment laws. Duterte told telcos to improve one of the region’s slowest Internet connections or face competition from foreign players. But he is opposed to foreign ownership of land.

10) After relations with China plummeted during Aquino’s term over a South China Sea territorial dispute, Duterte has said he wants “friendly” ties with Beijing. Aquino refused to hold direct negotiations with China over the maritime dispute, but Duterte is open to one-on-one talks. He is also courting Chinese investment in infrastructure.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 13:16
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Credit, debit cards to be used to top up CEPAS cards at ticketing machines

0

SINGAPORE – Credit and debit cards can soon be used to top up CEPAS cards at General Ticketing Machines.
The service will launch this Friday (July 1), starting with United Overseas Bank (UOB) customers holding Visa, Mastercard, or JCB cards. The service will…

Source link

Celebrities able to avoid paparazzi with high-tech scarf

0

The price of fame is the loss of privacy. But a high-tech scarf that prevents celebrities from being photographed hopes to solve this problem.

According to Buzzfeed, 28-year-old Saif Siddiqui, a former student from New Delhi, has invented the ISHU scarf that allows celebrities to literally go incognito when photographed – believe it or not.

The scarf, which is made of a fabric that has been enhanced with thousands of nano-spherical crystals reflects light back into cameras, disabling all flash photography.

Mr Siddiqui said that ISHU stands for “issue” and “shh”.

“The main intention is to make people aware of how important privacy actually is. Everyone has a ‘brand’ online, and with the ISHU scarf, people are back in control of their privacy,” Siddiqui said in a Buzzfeed interview.

Buzzfeed also reported that the scarf also works with video cameras.

Celebrities like Cameron Diaz, Nick Jonas and Paris Hilton have reportedly purchased the scarf. 

That is some next-level Batman technology right there. Bruce Wayne would be proud.

ISHU launches globally in August.

prabukm@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 12:48
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

PUB to explore use of drones for surveillance, water management

0

Singapore’s national water agency is exploring the use of drones for surveillance and water management purposes, in addition to testing the use of robot swans to monitor water quality in reservoirs.

Source link

27 suspects arrested for being involved in loansharking activities

0

The 13 men and four women were arrested in a three-day islandwide anti-loansharking operation.

Source link

Curry carnival brings residents together

0

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 14:30
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

62 ITE students receive National Youth Achievement Award

0

Aged between 19 and 23, the recipients were awarded for their participation in activities ranging from environmental sustainability to overseas community projects.

Source link

Bryan Lim charged for threatening to 'open fire' on LGBT community in Singapore

0

SINGAPORE – Facebook user Bryan Lim, who threatened to “open fire” on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community, was charged this morning (June 30) for inciting violence towards the LGBT community in Singapore.

Police reports were made against him a few weeks ago after he issued his alleged threat when responding to a Facebook post about foreign sponsorship of a recent LGBT rally in Singapore.

Lim had commented on the Facebook group We Are Against Pink Dot saying: “I am a Singaporean citizen. I am a NSman. I am a father. And I swore to protect my nation. Give me the permission to open fire. I would like to see these £@€$^*s die for their causes.”

If found guilty, Lim faces up to five years’ jail or be fined, or both.

His offensive remarks sparked outrage among netizens, especially members of the LGBT community.

After police reports were made, he apologised online, claiming it was a “misunderstanding” and that his words were taken out of context.

Lim’s employer Canon Singapore said then that it was also investigating the case as the company does not condone “violence in any form”.

Canon said on its Facebook page on June 13: “At Canon Singapore, we live by our philosophy of Kyosei, which we define as all people, regardless of race, religion, or culture, harmoniously living and working together for the common good.”(Therefore), we do not condone violence in any form. Thus, we take this issue seriously and are looking into this matter.”

Lim’s case will be up for mention again on Aug 4. His desktop, laptop and phone had been seized. The judge set bail at S$10,000, reported Channel NewsAsia.

chenj@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 12:23
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Parking rates at public carparks to go up from Dec 1

0

SINGAPORE – Charges for short-term and season parking at public carparks will go up from Dec 1.

The last island-wide revision of car parking charges by the Housing Board (HDB) and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) was 14 years ago in 2002.

Since then, the costs of building, operating and managing carparks have increased due to inflation, as well as construction, manpower and other related maintenance costs, said the HDB and URA in a joint press release on Thursday (June 30).

Parking rates are being revised as carpark charges have not kept pace with these cost increases, they added.

Short-term parking

For carparks outside restricted zones and designated areas, the revised charges will be 60 cents per half hour, which is an increase of 10 cents.

Within restricted zones and designated areas, charges will go up to $1.20 per half hour, which is an increase of 20 cents.

Charges on a per-minute basis will continue to apply for selected Electronic Parking System carparks in locations with high demand.

Season parking

HDB dwellers will also see season parking rates rise.

Priority will be given for the first car of residents.

Those who require more than one parking space will pay a higher rate than for their first car. Season parking ticket holders who are non-residents will also pay a higher rate.

They will pay $90 a month for surface carparks and $120 a month for sheltered carparks. This represents an increase of $25 a month and $30 a month, respectively.

For residents’ first parking space, charges will see a smaller increase of $15 for surface carparks and $20 for sheltered carparks. This will see charges rise to $65 to $80 a month for surface carparks, and $90 to $110 a month for sheltered carparks.

Family season parking ticket holders will continue to enjoy a concessionary rate of half of the season parking rate. They will pay $40 a month for surface carparks and $55 per month for sheltered carparks.

Season parking ticket holders can expect to receive letters from HDB and URA advising them of the revised rates as well as the priority status of the cars in their respective households by September.

Motorcycle parking rates

There are no changes to parking charges for motorcycles as these were revised when per-minute charging and the Concessionary Season Parking Ticket for motorcycles were introduced in July 2014 and January 2015 respectively.

New parking coupons

Motorists will have to use new parking coupons with the revised rates from Dec 1.

These will be available from early October. This is also when motorists may begin exchanging unused old parking coupons for new ones by paying the difference in value.

For more information on the sale and exchange of new parking coupons, contact the HDB on 1800-225-5432 or the URA on 6329-3434.

xiuhuil@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 12:05
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Euro 2016 quiz: WHO ARE YA?! Attack, attack, attack!

0

Are you a clinical striker, a tricky winger or the complete forward?

Try out our quiz and find out which Euro 2016 forward you best resemble.

Do note that this quiz is by no means endorsed by Uefa nor is it meant to be…

Source link