Home Blog Page 3531

Electricity bill for 4-room HDB flats to increase by average of $6.79

0

SINGAPORE – Electricity tariffs will increase by an average of 9.2 per cent or 1.59 cents per kWh for the period of July 1 to September 30, SP Services said in a press statement on Thursday (June 30).

For households, the electricity tariff will increase from 17.68 to 19.27 cents per kWh for Jul 1 to Sep 30.

The average monthly electricity bill for families living in four-room HDB flats will increase by $6.79

The increase is largely due to the cost of natural gas for electricity generation, which rose by 26.0 per cent compared to second quarter 2016, SP Services said.

debwong@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 19:31
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Philippines' Duterte reveals no 'taunt or flaunt' China policy

0

New Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Thursday he would not “taunt or flaunt” a favourable ruling in a highly sensitive legal challenge against Beijing over a South China Sea dispute.

But it was unclear whether Duterte intended to telegraph his soft diplomatic punches, with his comments made during his first cabinet meeting that was broadcast live on national television before being cut abruptly during the discussions on China.

After discussions on climate change, cutting red tape and airport congestion, the meeting turned to an imminent ruling by a UN-backed tribunal on a case filed by the Philippines’ previous government against Beijing over competing claims to the South China Sea.

In comments that are likely to please Beijing, Duterte issued instructions not to “taunt or flaunt” a verdict in favour of the Philippines.

Foreign Affairs Secretary, Perfecto Yasay, then revealed some foreign governments had been urging the Philippines to “make stronger statements”.

“I am averse to that idea and I told them in no unmistakable terms,” Yasay said.

Yasay did not name the governments that had been pushing for stronger statements, but described them as “those who are concerned about ensuring freedom of navigation”.

The United States has been one of the most vocal nations calling for China to ensure “freedom of navigation” in the South China Sea.

Yasay then started discussing what the Philippines should do if China “will dig in and put us to the test” but then abruptly stopped.

Almost immediately afterwards the broadcast, which was distributed by the state broadcaster and carried live on commercial networks as well as Internet portals for about 40 minutes, was also cut.

The cabinet meeting took place a few hours after Duterte was sworn in as the Philippines’ president for a six-year term.

He took over from Benigno Aquino, who put the Philippines’ long-running dispute with China at the top of his foreign policy agenda, publicly drawing comparisons between Beijing’s expansionist efforts in the sea and Nazi Germany’s take over of parts of Europe.

Aquino also launched the legal action with the UN-backed tribunal in The Hague, arguing that China’s claims to most of the strategically vital and resource-rich sea were in violation of international law.

China’s claims extend close to the Philippines’ coast, as well as those of other Southeast Asian countries.

The tribunal is set to issue a verdict on July 12.

Infuriated by Aquino’s strategy, China has vowed to ignore the tribunal’s ruling and repeatedly expressed hopes of better ties with the Philippines under Duterte.

Duterte’s media aides were not immediately available to comment over whether the discussion on China was meant to be televised.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 19:35
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 409 618
Hermes ID String: 
JLDUTERTE30
Hermes Author: 
LJESSICA
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Japan's salarymen see pocket money collapse

0

Japanese salarymen are struggling to get by on the monthly allowance they receive from their wives, which has fallen to its lowest level in decades, a survey showed.

Despite frequently being the sole breadwinner, many Japanese husbands hand over their entire wage to the woman of the house, who often manages the family’s bills and balances the books.

The nation’s army of male office workers, known for their punishing work hours, now have just 37,873 yen (S$496) to play with a month, according to a survey by Tokyo-based Shinsei Bank.

That is the third lowest in the lender’s annual survey, published Wednesday.

It is also way down from the heady days of the late 1980s and the early 1990s when the economy was booming and husbands enjoyed the high life with 77,725 yen a month, said the bank, which has surveyed men’s allowances since 1979.

A weak economy and tepid pay rises are forcing many households to target discretionary spending, including husbands’ pocket money.

To keep a lid on expenses, the average man budgets 587 yen for lunch every day, data from some 1,000 men aged between their 20s and their 50s showed.

Monthly costs for after-work drinks – often almost compulsory bonding sessions with their colleagues – come in around 11,765 yen, up 50 yen from last year.

Japan has suffered years of deflation that have seen prices stagnate or fall. This means that the same amount of money buys more today than it did in the early 1990s.

Falling prices may sound good for shoppers but it tends to hurt the economy as consumers put off spending to get goods cheaper down the road.

Japan’s prime minister Shinzo Abe swept to power in late 2012 on a pledge to beat the deflationary spiral but the plan, dubbed Abenomics, has faltered.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 19:34
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 409 611
Hermes ID String: 
JLSALARYJ30
Hermes Author: 
LJESSICA
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Remote working companies bid goodbye to the office grind

0

As more companies introduce some component of flexible or remote working, two Singapore-registered firms have taken a step further by ditching physical offices completely. 

Source link

Pre-enlistees entering NS from end-2017 may indicate vocation choice

0

Operational requirements will come first but, where possible, their choice of vocation will be considered after they have been assigned to the SAF, SPF or SCDF, says Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen. 

Source link

Actress Rebecca Lim can't shake off the nurse role

0

Local TV actress Rebecca Lim is playing a nurse for the fourth time in upcoming Channel 8 drama You Can Be An Angel 2.

She reprises the role of advanced practice nurse

Guan Xin Ni – who’s married to Bryan Wong’s…

Source link

New Armoured Fighting Vehicle to be commissioned by SAF by 2019

0

SINGAPORE – A new Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) which provides armoured forces with enhanced firepower, mobility, protection and situational awareness will be commissioned by the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) by 2019, as part of efforts to upgrade its…

Source link

New SAF unit to boost Singapore's response to terror attacks

0

The Army Deployment Force will complement other Singapore Armed Forces’ task forces to support the Home Team in the event of a terror attack, says Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen.

Source link

'Smart' airbases on the cards as SAF taps on tech amid manpower crunch

0

Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen says that as SAF prepares for a reduction in manpower, technology will increasingly be used as a “critical enabler to be able to respond adequately”. 

Source link

NS pre-enlistees can indicate vocation of choice from year-end

0

SINGAPORE –  From the end of this year, National Service pre-enlistees will be able to indicate their interest in any of over 30 vocations in three services, as part of efforts to encourage full-time national servicemen (NSFs) to take greater ownership of…

Source link