Home Blog Page 3530

Charges against Myanmar's 'Saffron Revolution' leader pile up

0

YANGON – A Yangon court, for the second time this week, laid additional charges dating from 2012 against a former monk and leader of Myanmar’s Saffron Revolution, a member of his legal team said on Thursday (June 30).

The new charges against Nyi Nyi Lwin, better known by his ordination name, Gambira, came just one day before he was set to be released following an arrest in January for allegedly entering Myanmar illegally from neighbouring Thailand.

Thazin Aye, one of his lawyers, said on Thursday that Gambira was charged with trespassing at the Thanlyin Township Court for allegedly breaking into monasteries in 2012 that had been sealed by the government.

“After his appearance at the court today, Nyi Nyi Lwin was sent back to Insein Central Prison by the government,” she said.

He was charged with the same offence in a separate Yangon township court on Tuesday.

Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) won Myanmar’s November election, but the military, which ruled the Southeast Asian nation until 2011, remains powerful.

The General Administration Department, a body that oversees the country’s sprawling bureaucracy and is controlled by the military, brought the new charges against Gambira.

Nyan Win, a spokesman for the NLD, criticised the case. “Personally I think there were weaknesses from the prosecutor’s side in procedural and legal aspects. There wasn’t enough transparency in handling it,” he said.

He said efforts to assist Gambira had not yet been discussed by the party.

In 2007, Gambira emerged as a leading figure in a mass protest over living conditions and the oppressive rule of then-dictator Than Shwe that was dubbed the Saffron Revolution.

The government cracked down harshly in response, opening fire on protesters and sweeping up those who took part. A report from the United Nations found that at least 31 people were killed by security forces and thousands arrested.

Gambira’s sentence of 68 years for his role in the protest turned him into one of Myanmar’s most prominent political prisoners. He was released in 2012.

Amnesty International, which has repeatedly called for his release, has said that he is a prisoner of conscience and that he suffers from “serious mental health issues” do to his time in jail.

Following his release in 2012, Gambira told Reuters that he faced solitary confinement, beatings and sleep deprivation while behind bars.

His captors, he said, were “very rude and cruel”.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 21:24
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case after online outrage

0

BEIJING – Two Chinese police officers acted improperly in the arrest and detention of a well-known environmentalist who died in police custody last month, state media reported on Thursday (June 30), a case that sparked a public outcry.

The officers had been detained and accused of dereliction of duty, as well as impeding the course of the investigation, the official Xinhua news agency reported online.

Lei Yang, who was accused of visiting a brothel, died of asphyxiation, Xinhua said, though the report did not elaborate on the exact circumstances of his death.

Lei died just hours after being taken into police custody according to local media reports.

Beijing police could not be immediately reached for comment.

The finding is a rare indictment of law enforcement officers in stability-obsessed China, where courts answer to the ruling Communist Party, which is also the top authority governing police.

Police brutality cases rarely become major news in the country, where there is little oversight over law enforcement. Hundreds of comments on Chinese social media expressed outrage after the case came to light, criticising a lack of transparency.

Lei, from the central province of Hunan but living in Beijing, was married and had a daughter who was born just weeks before police detained him, according to media reports.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 30, 2016 – 21:13
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

New scheme provides cash aid to help families break out of debt

0

SINGAPORE – The sole breadwinner for her five schoolgoing children, Mdm Tan already struggles to manage the family’s household expenses and bills with her monthly salary as an ad hoc sales promoter; she can hardly save for rainy days.
But under a new Family…

Source link

In separate incidents, 2 fathers jailed for sexually abusing daughters

0

SINGAPORE – Two men who sexually abused their daughters in two separate cases were sentenced to jail and caning on Thursday (June 30).
In the first case, a man had molested his daughter when she was just 12, touching her on the chest on several occasions…

Source link

104-year-old Parochial House of St Joseph's Church to be gazetted for conservation

0

SINGAPORE – A 104-year-old church building along Victoria Street which once served as the headquarters of the Portuguese Mission in Singapore will be gazetted for conservation by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA).

The three-storey Parochial House of St Joseph’s Church, which is currently the lodgings of the church’s rector, was inspired by mediaeval Gothic architecture.

Speaking at the church’s celebration on Thursday (June 30) to mark the milestone, Mr Lawrence Wong, Minister for National Development said: “(The Parochial House) is a building that fully deserves its conservation status. It’s also a good complement to the main church building which is in itself a national monument.

“The House has stood in Singapore for close to 104 years… It has survived the 2nd world war and three generations, still going strong, marking its importance as a landmark in Singapore’s history.”

He also noted the building style of the Parochial House, which is an example of traditional Portuguese baroque style, with distinctive features such as pointed Gothic arches at the facade, and pinnacles decorated with crockets, a hook-shaped decoration, adorning the roof.

It also contains nine sets of Portuguese-style painted ceramic tiles that can be found in palaces, churches and important public buildings in Portugal.

A storyboard that traces the history and significance of the Parochial House was also unveiled at the event.

Father Alex Chua, the Rector of St Joseph’s Church, said: “It is an honour for the Church to have its Parochial House recognised and conserved for its architectural, historical and social heritage.

“We hope that this gazette will help reinforce the sense of heritage for future generations of Singapore Catholics and non-Catholics alike.”

Close to 7,200 buildings here have been conserved since the start of URA’s Conservation Programme in 1989.


This article was first published on June 30, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 09:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Pre-enlistees entering national service from 2017 can indicate vocation of choice: Ng Eng Hen

0

SINGAPORE – In a first for full-time national servicemen, pre-enlistees entering national service next year will be able to express their interest in what vocations they will like to serve in.

They will be given a range of vocations to choose from during the pre-enlistment process, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen on Tuesday (June 28) in his annual media interview ahead of SAF Day on Friday (July 1).

Operational needs will still be the primary consideration for assigning servicemen to vocations, said Dr Ng. “I can well imagine that there are certain interests that are more popular than others and unfortunately like popular schools, although every vocation is a good vocation, you have to match interests to vocations.”

This implementation of one of the 30 recommendations from the Committee to Strengthen National Service was one of the announcements Dr Ng made during the interview, which touched on the challenges facing Singapore’s national security and how the Singapore Armed Forces is adapting to meet them.

Terrorism remains a clear and present threat, he said. To better combat the threat of terror here, a new unit, the Army Deployment Force, will be set up, which will respond rapidly to terrorist attacks here alongside the Home Team.

The battalion-sized force, staffed by regulars, will also work with the Island Defence Task Force and Special Operations Task Force in times of emergencies. It may also be activated for overseas humanitarian or peace support operations.

Even as the SAF restructures internally to better respond to threats at home, the problem of terrorism is too big to handle alone, said Dr Ng. “We have to step up our collaborations with other agencies, share information, combine resources for operations to deal with terrorists.”

Singapore continues to support joint patrols between Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines in the Sulu Sea, and Dr Ng reiterated that Singapore is still on board to join these patrols. He added that he has offered the use of the Navy’s Information Fusion Centre as a resource to these patrols.

Domestically, lower birth rates pose a demographic challenge, as Singapore will face a one-third reduction in its manpower by 2030, he said. Because of this, the SAF will have to “do more with less”, and work not only harder, but also smarter, through the use of technology.

The expansion of Changi Air Base due to the relocation of Paya Lebar Air Base will give Singapore the chance to build a modern, smart air base from scratch, he said, complete with greater automation and unmanned systems.

The Navy is working on a fleet of unmanned vehicles as a countermeasure to naval mines, which can be used to detect and dispose underwater explosives.

Furthermore, to attract top engineering and science talents to Mindef, the ministry will be offering a new Mindef Defence Science scholarship, which will be on par with the prestigious SAF scholarship.

These efforts all aim to continually improve the SAF, said Dr Ng, so that “we are always prepared, ready to meet today’s challenges, as well as adapt to new challenges on the horizon and even unseen ones”.

“We have the continued need to do this, to invest in resources, to call upon Singaporeans to do their NS duties so that the SAF can protect Singaporeans and defend our nation.”


This article was first published on June 30, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 09:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

POPULAR Warehouse Sale featuring Assessment Books fr $2 & More (6 – 10 July 2016)

0

POPULAR Warehouse Sale featuring Assessment Books from $2 and up to 80% off stationery, books & music (6 – 10 Jul)

POPULAR Warehouse Sale featuring Assessment Books fr $2 & More (6 – 10 July 2016)

Get Assessment Books from $2 at POPULAR’s Warehouse Sale happening from 6 – 10 July 2016, 11am to 8pm at 15 Serangoon North Ave 5. In addition, enjoy up to 80% off stationery, books and music

Source

Public car park charges in Singapore to increase from December

0

Rates for short-term and season parking at public car parks will rise from Dec 1, 2016.

Source link

SMRT acquires 20% stake in Dutch automated vehicles company

0

The Singapore transport operator’s stake in 2 Getthere Holding is worth about S$6m. 

Source link

Fire breaks out at Hougang Ave 7, no injuries reported

0

The fire involved the kitchen contents of a unit at Blk 339, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said. 

Source link