Home Blog Page 3521

Ex-China tour guide claims trial to charges that he stole $1.1m from widow

SINGAPORE – Former China tour guide Yang Yin, who is in a tussle for a widow’s $40 million assets and facing 349 criminal charges, has claimed trial to the two most serious charges – that of siphoning $1.1 million from the widow.

The two charges for criminal breach of trust said that Yang misappropriated $500,000 and $600,000 from Madam Chung Khin Chun, 89. He had claimed previously that the monies were used to buy paintings for her.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Sanjiv Vaswani said in court today (July 1) that the prosecution is challenging the authenticity and value of the paintings, Channel NewsAsia reported.

For criminal breach of trust, Yang faces up to seven years’ jail or a fine, or both.

Yang was convicted in May of 120 charges, including those of falsifying receipts and company accounts, and duping the authorities into granting him permanent residency here.

Yang has been in remand since October 2014, after he was denied bail.

Yang acted as Madam Chung’s private guide in China during a trip in 2008. A year later, he came to Singapore and moved into Madam Chung’s bungalow, claiming that she wanted him as her “grandson”.

He then set up a sham company and later obtained permanent residency in Singapore. His wife and two children also moved here.

Madam Chung’s niece, Madam Hedy Mok, applied to become her aunt’s guardian after Madam Chung was diagnosed with dementia in 2014. After discovering that Yang already had Lasting Power of Attorney over Madam Chung’s matters, Madam Mok sued Yang. She also confronted Yang’s wife at the bungalow in September that year, trying to get Yang’s family to leave.

sinsh@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 17:48
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Get expert help in job hunt at STJobs Career & Development Fair 2016

SINGAPORE – Job seekers can gain professional career advice and meet potential employers at the STJobs Career & Development Fair 2016 from July 2-3, 10am – 6pm, at Marina Bay Sands Hall D & E.

The fair, held for the fifth consecutive year, hosts more than 100 booths spanning various industries offering recruitment or training opportunities and programmes to visitors, including AIA, Great Eastern, Grab, Marina Bay Sands and SBS Transit.

It will also feature five zones with a suite of free activities specially designed to prepare job seekers in meeting potential employers and building up their careers.

Job seekers can visit a resume and visume (video resume) clinic for one-on-one professional consultations to improve their CVs, or draft a one-minute pitch which they can use to record a visume.

Attendees can also sign up for a professional career consultation session with career coaches from e2i (Employment and Employability Institute) to help with career-forward planning, making for a wholesome job hunting experience.

The July edition of the U Future Leaders Summit 2016, jointly organised by NTUC and SPH, will also be held in conjunction with the fair with the theme “Future-Ready Careers amid Global Transformation”. Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office and NTUC Secretary-General, Chan Chun Sing, will also be holding a closed dialogue session with participants. 

Attendees of STJobs career fair can also look forward to hearing from key industry thought leaders as they share about future market trends that will help job seekers and working professionals prepare for what lies ahead.

The summit is open to Singaporeans and permanent residents only. Members of the public can register for the two-day summit for $100 while NTUC members can register for $60.

Singaporeans and PRs may attend the fair on both days while foreigners with valid work passes or student passes from local institutions are invited for admission on July 3 only.

Admission to the fair is free. For more information, visit http://careerfair.stjobs.sg/fair2016/.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 17:36
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Temperatures could hit 35°C in first week of July: MSS

For the first half of July, most of the thundery showers due to strong solar heating of land areas are forecast to occur in the late morning and early afternoon on four to six days. 

Source link

BreadTalk 6 Flosss for $8 & More 16th Anniversary Deals from 1 – 31 Jul 2016

Breaktalk six flosss for $8 & more 16th anniversary deals for the month of July

BreadTalk 6 Flosss for $8 & More 16th Anniversary Deals from 1 – 31 Jul 2016

Be blown away with BreadTalk’s nationwide month-long fantastic treats‬ in their 16th Birthday celebrations this July. Enjoy their signature Flosss varieties at 6 for $8 (mix-and-match), 20% off whole cakes and more

Source

More affordable products at new FairPrice store

SINGAPORE – NTUC FairPrice has aunched a new retail format, FairPrice Shop, which will stock more affordable products for budget-conscious shoppers.

According to a statement from the supermarket chain, the new-format outlets will feature a smaller range of products that offer greater value, and will be located primarily within mature estates with low-income families.

Products stocked will include a new housebrand line called ‘Value Fresh’ that will be exclusive to FairPrice shop.

The range of 30 products comprising fresh vegetables are priced at five to 10 per cent lower than FairPrice’s existing range of housebrand produce, ‘Pasar’.

There will also be items marked as Every Day Low Price (EDLP) and the Yellow Dot lowest priced products.

Stores will be located in matured HDB estates where there is a higher concentration of one to three-room HDB flats.

The first two FairPrice Shops are currently located at Eunos and Circuit Road. FairPrice targets to open four more FairPrice Shops by the end of this year.

Mr Seah Kian Peng, CEO of NTUC FairPrice, said: “These stores will provide even greater value for daily essentials and will be conveniently located in districts where there is a higher concentration of low-income families residing.

“This new format will complement our overall efforts to moderate the cost of living while also remaining relevant to the evolving needs of customers from all walks of life.”

candicec@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 16:51
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Worker, 30, dies in accident at Marina South construction site

SINGAPORE – A 30-year-old man has died after a piece of equipment dislodged and fell into the shaft he was working in, The Straits Times reported.

According to the report, the incident happened at a construction site in Marina South on Thursday (June 30).

It is believed that the the worker is Malaysian, and was working at the bottom of a shaft on Thursday afternoon when the equipment hoisted by a crane dislodged and fell.

A stop-work order has been issued by the Ministry of Manpower.

The Straits Times reported that the construction project’s developer is the PUB, while its main contractor is Transbuild Engineering.

ljessica@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 16:34
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Leader of Myanmar's 'Saffron Revolution' freed, charges dropped

YANGON – A former monk and influential leader of Myanmar’s 2007 anti-junta uprising has been freed from jail and charges against him dropped, his lawyer said on Friday, just a day after new charges were levelled against him.

Nyi Nyi Lwin, better known by his ordination name, Gambira, was arrested in January for allegedly entering Myanmar illegally from neighbouring Thailand.

He had been set to be freed on Friday, but on both Tuesday and Thursday new charges stemming from alleged trespassing in 2012 were brought against him in two separate Yangon townships.

Robert San Aung, his lawyer, said on Friday that these charges had been dropped and that Gambira was now free. “They (the judge) just said the he was freed completely after cancelling all the charges against,” he said.

Gambira told Reuters by phone that he was happy with the decision and would now focus on his health. “I’m very happy to be free again. At the moment I have to receive medical treatment for my mental illness and post traumatic stress disorder,” he said.

The additional charges this week were brought against Gambira for allegedly breaking into monasteries in 2012 that had been sealed by the government.

In 2007, Gambira emerged as a leading figure in a mass protest over living conditions and the oppressive rule of then-dictator Than Shwe that was dubbed the Saffron Revolution.

The government cracked down harshly in response, opening fire on protesters and sweeping up those who took part. A report from the United Nations found that at least 31 people were killed by security forces and thousands arrested.

Gambira was arrested in 2007 and his sentence of 68 years for his role in the protest turned him into one of Myanmar’s most prominent political prisoners. He was released in 2012.

Following his release, he said that he had been tortured while in jail, suffering through solitary confinement, beatings and sleep deprivation.

Amnesty International has said that he suffers from “serious mental health issues” due to time and treatment behind bars.

The group said it was concerned that the additional charges brought this week were “politically motivated” and related to his actions during the Saffron Revolution.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 15:52
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Chinese 'gamble' on Taylor Swift's love life

BEIJING – US pop singer Taylor Swift’s love life has become the latest unlikely product on Chinese online marketplace Taobao, with buyers gambling on whether she will break up with rumoured boyfriend British actor Tom Hiddleston.

Hiddleswift “insurance” plans are priced at one yuan (15 US cents) at Taobao shops and offer to double the pay if the couple split up within periods ranging from six months to a year, a search by AFP on Friday showed.

Betting is illegal in China other than in state-sanctioned lotteries, but online sellers seek to avoid the rules by describing their transactions as insurance against an event.

The Legal Evening News said last week that the schemes became available after reports of the Taylor-Hiddleston relationship came out, with the busiest vendor recording 543 sales in a month and one buyer paying 400 yuan.

Taobao, the consumer-to-consumer platform of Chinese Internet giant Alibaba, negotiated with the vendors to take down the items, the paper said.

An AFP search on Friday showed most of the plans had been removed, with only a few low-ranking shops still selling them.

“It’s funny,” said one buyer at a vendor that has had 17 “successful transactions”.

Similar offerings have included bets on whether Patrick Stewart might grow hair for the next instalment of the X-Men franchise and if Katy Perry will win a Grammy in 2017, the Legal Evening News report said.

All those bets appeared to be off by Friday.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 15:42
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

China landslide leaves at least 20 missing

BEIJING – Heavy rain unleashed a landslide Friday that killed one person and left 20 others missing in China, state media said.

The landslide hit early morning and buried 29 people in the village of Pianpo, in the southwestern province of Guizhou, the official Xinhua news agency said, citing local authorities.

Nine were pulled from the rubble, one of whom later died and the eight others hospitalised, it said. Rescue efforts were continuing, it added.

Pictures posted online showed a deluge of mud had toppled trees and crushed cement buildings, leaving bricks and cinderblocks scattered in heaps of rubble. Rescue workers with hard hats and shovels dug at steep slopes of debris.

Flooding is common during the summer monsoon season in southern China, but rainfall has been particularly heavy this year and many areas have been lashed by torrential rains this week.

China’s national observatory issued an orange alert for storms across the country’s south and east on Thursday – the second highest warning in a four-tiered system – and told people to take precautions against possible flash floods and landslides, Xinhua said in a separate report.

Whole villages were levelled and at least 98 left dead in the eastern province of Jiangsu last week after the region was hit by a storm with hurricane-force winds and the worst tornado in half a century.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 15:48
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Taiwan mistakenly fires 'carrier killer' missile towards China, killing 1

AFP update: A Taiwanese warship mistakenly launched a supersonic “aircraft carrier killer” missile towards China on Friday (July 1), hitting a fishing boat and killing one person, the navy said.

The domestically developed Hsiung-feng III (Brave Wind) missile flew about 75km before hitting the trawler in waters off Penghu, a Taiwanese-administered island group in the Taiwan Strait.

The skipper on the “Hsian Li Sheng”, a 60-tonne trawler based in the southern Kaohsiuing city, was killed and three other crew on board, including a Vietnamese and a Filipino, were injured.

“An initial investigation showed that the incident has caused the death of the skipper,” Taiwan’s defence ministry spokesman Chen Chung-chi told reporters.

“We apologise to the family of the skipper and would like to convey our condolences to them.”

Taiwan – A Taiwanese warship mistakenly launched a supersonic “aircraft carrier killer” missile towards China on Friday, the navy said, as ties between the island and its once bitter rival deteriorate.

The domestically developed Hsiung-feng III (Brave Wind) missile flew about 75 kilometres (45 miles) before plunging into waters off Penghu, a Taiwanese-administered island group in the Taiwan Strait.

The navy said it was not immediately clear how the missile, which has a range of 300 kilometres, had come to be launched, but suggested it could have been due to human error.

“Our initial investigation found that the operation was not done in accordance with normal procedure,” Vice Admiral Mei Chia-shu told reporters, adding that an investigation was under way.

The missile was fired during a drill at around 8:10 am (0010 GMT) from a 500-tonne missile ship docked at a naval base in the southern city of Tsoying and flew in the direction of China.

Helicopters and navy ships were sent to search for the missile, Mei said, adding that the military had reported the gaffe to the island’s top security body, the National Security Conference.

Taiwan’s Mainland Affairs Council, which handles China policy, declined to say whether the incident had been reported to Beijing.

Read also:

Taiwan to ‘test-fire missiles in US’ as China tensions rise

Taiwan president wants to maintain communication with China

Official communications between the council and its Chinese counterpart have effectively been frozen by Beijing over Taiwan’s new government refusing to recognise the “one China” concept.

The tenet, agreed by Beijing and Taiwan’s then-ruling Nationalists in 1992, established that there is only one China, but with each side reserving the right to interpret the concept as they see fit.

Analysts said Friday’s incident drew attention to how damaging the freeze in communications could prove.

“This event highlights the importance of communications between the two sides… in order to reduce the possibility of any misjudgement,” Professor Alexander Huang from Tamkang University told AFP.

“Otherwise, should we wait until a big event happens?”

Ties between Taipei and Beijing have deteriorated noticeably since President Tsai Ing-wen of the China-sceptic Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) was elected in January.

Read also: China’s Communist Party marks 95th anniversary with Xi’s warning

China still insists that self-ruling Taiwan is part of its territory, even though the two sides split in 1949 after a civil war, and has not ruled out using force to bring about reunification.

Beijing is deeply mistrustful of Tsai, whose DPP replaced the China-friendly Kuomintang (KMT) party in government, and has warned her against any attempt at a breakaway.

According to Taiwan’s defence ministry there are 1,500 Chinese missiles aimed at the island.

China launched some of the missiles into waters off Taiwan in 1995 and 1996 in an attempt to deter voters in the island’s first democratic presidential elections.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 15:34
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Taiwan mistakenly fires 'killer' missile towards China, 1 man dead and 3 injured
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link