Home Blog Page 3498

Aide to former Chinese president Hu Jintao jailed for life: Media

BEIJING – An ex-aide of former Chinese president Hu Jintao has been jailed for life for corruption, illegally obtaining state secrets and abuse of power, official media reported Monday.

Ling Jihua pleaded guilty and said he would not appeal, Xinhua news agency said, citing the verdict of the First Intermediate People’s Court in Tianjin, which held his trial in secret last month.

“The trial today is engraved on my bones and in my heart,” it quoted Ling as saying in his final statement to the court.

The chief judge carried out his duties “fairly and lawfully”, he added, and the proceedings were “solemn, meticulous, rational and civilised”.

Chinese courts are controlled by the ruling Communist party, which expelled Ling – once Hu’s chief of staff – from its ranks last year.

The verdict and sentence come as part of a high-profile crackdown on graft by current President Xi Jinping that has deposed several senior officials, notably former security chief Zhou Yongkang, who was himself jailed for life last year.

Critics say that a lack of transparency around the crackdown means it has been an opportunity for Xi to eliminate political enemies.

Ling’s son died in a notorious Ferrari crash in Beijing which disrupted a once-in-a-decade party leadership change in 2012.

Ling, his wife and son received bribes worth a total of 77.1 million yuan (S$15.6 million), Xinhua said.

When he was charged the country’s national prosecuting authority said the accusations were “extremely serious”.

He “abused his power” as director of the General Office of the Communist Party’s Central Committee, where he worked under Hu, it said, adding that in several party leadership posts he “illegally received large amounts of property and obtained state secrets”.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 18:16
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Malaysian groups call for Singaporean comedian to be banned for Najib jibe

SINGAPORE – At least two Malaysian groups have called on the government to ban Singaporean stand-up comedian Fakkah Fuzz from entering the country after he jokingly called Prime Minister Najib Razak a “thief” during a skit.
In the skit, which was posted on…

Source link

Bangladeshi duo killed in Dhaka seige studied in Malaysia: Police

KUALA LUMPUR – Two Bangladeshi nationals, who died in the Dhaka attacks, had studied at Monash University Malaysia, according to the Inspector-General of Police.

Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar, however, said police were unable to confirm if they were gunmen or victims.

“No, I cannot confirm that they were the gunmen, even the authorities in Bangladesh are unable to confirm it.

“Please be careful about believing unconfirmed reports on social media,” he told reporters at Bukit Aman here on Monday.

Khalid said police would investigate the duo’s activities if it was confirmed that they were involved in the attacks.

“We will check on all their movements here but I do not think that they were brainwashed during their time in the country,” he said.

On Friday night, seven Islamic State militants killed 22 people including two police officers at a Western-styled cafe in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Six gunmen were shot dead by security forces during the siege at the Holey Artisan Bakery cafe.

Bangladeshi authorities are interrogating one of the hostage-takers.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 18:02
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Formula One: Hamilton urges Mercedes to reject team orders

AUSTRIA – After clashing and colliding with the German leader of this year’s championship on the last lap of his victory in Sunday’s Austrian Grand Prix, the defending three-time champion said he hoped Mercedes boss Toto Woff would reject the temptation of team orders.

“I hope it doesn’t change and I hope we can continue to race,” said Hamilton. “That is my honest opinion from a love of this sport.” “Certain circumstances have led us to where we are today,” he added.

“We have a lot of races ahead and we will continue to race. I am fighting for the world championship so we will keep fighting “Hopefully, through these experiences there will be no more and, hopefully, a lot less than what we have had so far this year. Hopefully, they are a blip in the mist and we will continue racing forward.

“You never want to see team orders happening. The great thing is Toto and Niki (Lauda) have been great and allow us to race and that is what racing is about.” Hamilton won Sunday’s race after surviving a collision with Rosberg on the final lap when the German drove into him and forced him off the circuit at Turn Two.

Rosberg was later called to a stewards’ inquiry and given a time penalty, but he retained his fourth place finish in the race. He was leading into the last lap, but fell to fourth after crashing with Hamilton.

Wolff showed his anger and frustration after the race and said he was considering the introduction of team orders in future to protect the team when they had a clear opportunity to claim one-two finishes.

Sunday’s collision was their third in five races and came only four races on from their crash in Spain where both men were forced into retirement on the opening lap.

“Team orders are on the table now, we have to consider this,” said Wolff, after Sunday’s stunning contest in which Hamilton overcame unfavourable strategy decisions and Rosberg’s belligerence to win.

“I want to race,” said Hamilton. “I grew up wanting to race. I wanted to get to F1, race the best and be the best, by out-driving another individual.

“They showed a replay of Michael (Schumacher) and (Rubens) Barrichello many years ago (the team orders controversy from Austria 2002) and I was disappointed as a fan back then.

“It is not always going to be blue skies and perfect, but that is motor racing. Every engineer and mechanic has been through Formula Ford and Formula Renault and all the different categories.

“They have seen the good and the bad and know these things can happen. We are driving at 200-plus mph.

“You expect us to drive around and never, never, never have a problem? I doubt it.” Hamilton said he did all he could to avoid a crash on Sunday when he passed Rosberg on the outside.

“It is not something I go out to get involved in,” he said. “I don’t go out to get caught in collisions. As you could see, I drove as wide as possible, within the white lines, so I left a lot of space.

“Three cars could have come on the inside of me there. As a team boss and team, the team want to finish 1-2. That is our goal and it is my goal – although I want to be at the front of the 1-2…”

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 18:13
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Weird buildings? It's about higher quality living: Interlace architect

The German behind provocative designs like The Interlace in Singapore and MahaNakhon in Bangkok answers critics – and talks about how Asia can lead the way in building cities that change the way we interact.

Source link

Architects say this 3D-printed house in China can withstand earthquakes

A Chinese company has just created a two-storey villa using 3-D printers, and if you’re thinking that it is some flimsy dollhouse made of plastic, you might want to think again.

The mansion was made by Beijing-based firm Huashang Tengda in just 45 days. Not only is it made from concrete, its architects say it is durable enough to withstand an earthquake measuring 8.0-magnitude.

Now that’s a claim you’ll have to see to believe.

What’s also impressive about this 4,305 sq ft house is that it might be the first to be 3-D printed at one go, rather than printing different pieces and then assembling together to form a house.

According to Inhabitat, the company first erected the house’s frame, including the plumbing pipes. Then, two huge 3-D printers were used to construct the house.

About 20 tonnes of strong but inexpensive concrete were used and the walls are about eight feet thick. Once the house was constructed, the workers painted and decorated it.

Huashang Tenda believes the 3-D printing technology will have “immeasurable social benefits”.

See also: 3-D printing technology changes house building

“Because of its speed, low cost, simple and environmentally friendly raw materials, it can generally improve the quality of people’s lives,” said a spokesman.

Chinese building firms seem to be on a 3-D printing spree.

Chinese company WinSun Decoration Design Engineering Co constructed 10 houses in under 24 hours in 2014, and early last year, the firm printed the world’s tallest 3-D printed building – a five-storey apartment block.

Another Chinese company, ZhuoDa, also printed a two-storey villa in less than three hours in Xian, China. The house was assembled like Lego bricks before a live audience and is said to be fire and earthquake-proof.

on SPH Brightcove

@media(min-width:768px){.brightcove_oembed{height:417px;}}

klim@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 17:46
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
video embed code: 
<div style="display: block; position: relative; max-width: 100%;"><div style="padding-top: 56.25%;"><iframe src="//players.brightcove.net/4802324435001/default_default/index.html?videoId=5020249890001"
allowfullscreen
webkitallowfullscreen
mozallowfullscreen
style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute; top: 0px; bottom: 0px; right: 0px; left: 0px;"></iframe></div></div>
Video Media: 
Other Video Media
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

StanChart PE Invests in baking supply shop Phoon Huat

SINGAPORE – Standard Chartered’s private-equity arm has invested in Phoon Huat & Co, which has been selling baking ingredients such as pie fillings and confectioners’ sugar in Singapore since 1947.
Standard Chartered Private Equity bought a “significant…

Source link

TB cluster in Ang Mo Kio: Screening results show 2 possible active cases

SINGAPORE – Two residents of the Ang Mo Kio HDB block that saw six cases of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB) may have active TB, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a statement today (July 4).

“They are currently being followed up for treatment, monitoring and contact tracing,” the MOH said.

223 residents of Block 203, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 were screened on-site last month after an “unusual cluster” of MDR TB cases was found over a four-year period.

Results of the three-day screening were progressively released to the residents from June 30.

While 164 tested negative for TB, 45 may have latent TB, which is not infectious and is likely caused by past exposure to the TB bacteria.

Three residents who contracted TB earlier in life had abnormal chest X-ray results, but this is possibly a result of scarring from their previous infection, the MOH said.

Nine other residents have yet to complete their screening.

Residents and former residents of the block can still be screened for free at SATA clinics in Ang Mo Kio or at the TB Control Unit.

huizhen@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 17:45
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Air Asia fr $2* Promo Fares to over 40 Destinations fr 4 – 10 Jul 2016

Air Asia fr $2 promo fares to over 40 destinations till 10 July. Airport taxes & fees from $34 to $35 one way apply. ✈

Air Asia fr $2* Promo Fares to over 40 Destinations fr 4 – 10 Jul 2016

Fly from Singapore to Bandung, Bangkok, Jakarta, Kota Kinabalu, Krabi, Penang and more from $2 base fare with Air Asia’s latest promotion. Airport taxes and fees from SGD34 – SGD35 one way apply.

Source

SIA now allows passengers to bid to upgrade their seats

SINGAPORE – Selected Singapore Airlines (SIA) customers in Economy Class can now bid for better seats in Premium Economy.
These passengers will receive an email invitation to bid for a seat upgrade seven days before their flights are due to depart. Each…

Source link