Home Blog Page 1367

Pakistani wife 'kills' husband, 12 others with poisoned lassi

0

MULTAN – A Pakistani woman who gave her husband poisoned milk ended up killing him and 12 of his family when the tainted liquid was turned into a yoghurt drink and served to him and his relatives, police said.

The woman, who was forced by her family into an arranged marriage in September, has been arrested and charged with murder along with her alleged lover, senior police official Owais Ahmad told reporters in central Pakistan’s Muzaffargarh district on Monday.

Police said Asiya Bibi mixed poison into her husband’s milk last week but he initially failed to drink it and it was instead blended into a batch of yoghurt-based lassi and served to the man’s family.

Thirteen people have so far died, including the husband, while a further 14 have been hospitalised, Ahmad said.

“Police have arrested Asiya Bibi, a man and his aunt for being accomplices and charged them with murder,” Ahmad said.

He said the man was allegedly Bibi’s lover and that his aunt helped hatch the murder plot.

Forced and under-age marriages are common in deeply conservative Pakistan, particularly in rural and impoverished regions, where women have fought for their rights for decades.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 15:40

Others

Source link

URA releases residential sites at Chong Kuo Road, Cuscaden Road

0

SINGAPORE: The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) on Tuesday (Oct 31) released two residential sites that could potentially yield a combined 250 homes.

The two sites are located at Chong Kuo Road, off Sembawang Road, and at Cuscaden Road, URA said in a press release.

Both sites were released under the 2nd Half 2017 Government Land Sales (GLS) Programme.

The site at Chong Kuo Road was launched for sale under the Confirmed List, while the site at Cuscaden Road is available for application under the Reserve List.

GLS Confirmed List sites are put up for sale regardless of market interest, while those on the Reserve List are triggered for tender only if a developer commits to bid at a price acceptable to the land sale authorities.

The 99-year leasehold Chong Kuo Road land parcel is near the future Springleaf MRT station and several recreation and golf facilities. (Photo: URA)

Located in a private residential area, the 99-year leasehold Chong Kuo Road land parcel is near the future Springleaf MRT station and several recreation and golf facilities such as Sembawang Country Club and Orchid Country Club.

The 46,100 sq ft site has a maximum gross floor area of 64,551 sq ft and is expected to yield 80 housing units in a five-storey development.

The tender for this site will close at 12pm on January 30, 2018.

The site at Cuscaden Road is available for application under the Reserve List, and will be triggered for tender only if a developer commits to bid at a price acceptable to the land sale authorities. (Photo: URA)

At 61,598 sq ft, the Cuscaden Road parcel has a maximum gross floor area of 172,481 sq ft and could yield 170 units.

It is close to the prime Orchard Road shopping belt and minutes away from the Botanic Gardens.

The URA also said in its release that it will release two more residential sites at Handy Road and Sumang Walk (Executive Condominium) in November and December, respectively, under the 2H2017 GLS Programme.

Source link

Filipino celebrity Kris Aquino shares 3 life lessons

0

Without a contract or a regular TV show with an active network, Kris Aquino described 2017 as a “year of closed doors.”

“I’m a single mother in her mid-40s, so it’s hard to reinvent myself-and I have to do it now. So, yes, there was a time when I was really feeling down,” Kris told reporters at her recent launch as PLDT Home’s and Smart’s new brand endorser.

Asked about things she has learned from the challenges she has been facing of late, Kris said: “I went to church almost every day-I believe that you should never stop praying.

Second, you should hold on to your family and closest friends because they’re not going to leave you behind. And third, believe in yourself because there will be setbacks.”

She also stressed the importance of staying loyal to those “who never left your side.

 

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 15:19

More about

Tips

Others

Source link

Selena Gomez and The Weeknd break up: Was Justin Bieber the reason?

0

Selena Gomez is the centre of the gossip sphere after she was spotted hanging out with ex Justin Bieber. This further escalated when news came out that she and The Weeknd broke up. So what’s really going on?

TMZ recently spotted Justin and Selena having breakfast together after attending church. A week before that, Justin was seen arriving at Selena’s home and reportedly stayed there until midnight with mutual friends.

According to sources close to The Weeknd, the singer was reportedly aware of the meet-ups and didn’t have any problems with it. But People then confirmed his split with Selena, sparking more speculations that meeting up with Justin might’ve caused this.

However, a source said that Selena and The Weeknd “have been going back and forth for a few months about their relationship.” Their conflicts in schedule and distance also played a role in the breakup. The source also clarified that Selena and Justin aren’t back together.

Looks like the exes may have put their relationship and Instagram drama behind them. But is it okay to be friends with your ex after breaking up with your recent beau? Hmmm.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 15:03

Others

Source link

Taking Grab in Philippines? You'll now have to show your ID on late-night trips

0

Ride-sharing apps like Grab were made to make travelling convenient and safer for anyone. But after the carnapping and murder of their driver Gerardo Maquidato Jr., Grab is improving their security measures by asking for passengers’ valid IDs.

In a statement, Grab said that their driver-partners may ask you to show your identification before the trip starts. This will be done especially during “night shift hours,” which is around 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Statement from Grab
Photo: Philippines Daily Inquirer/Asia News Network

“We assure you that all information shown to our driver-partners will be kept confidential and will only be used for verification purposes,” Grab said. This can be helpful for drivers since the Grab app doesn’t show the photo of the passengers.

They also reminded passengers to input the exact pick-up and drop-off points when booking a ride. “Our driver-partners will only bring you to the indicated booking destinations.”

Last Oct. 26, Gerardo’s reportedly picked up a lone passenger in Pasay City. The passenger then shot him, threw him out, and drove off with the car. As of writing, the suspect is still at large.

“We are currently discussing tech solutions that would decrease, if not completely hamper, the chances of carnapping incidents involving Transport Network Vehicle Services (TNVS),” Grab said. “We are also working closely with the Philippine National Police – Highway Patrol Group to ensure that justice will be served and perpetrators will be put behind bars.”

So next time you book a ride, make sure that you comply with these rules. Stay safe out there.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 14:04

Others

Source link

Najib: Malaysia reviewing ties with North Korea

0

KUALA LUMPUR – Malaysia is reviewing its ties with North Korea and is prepared to sever all connections to the state as international concern mounts over the state’s nuclear and ballistic missile testing.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said Malaysia is already considering closing its embassy in Pyongyang, North Korea and instead relegating its service to the Malaysian embassy in Beijing, China.

“Among the issues discussed in my meeting with US President Donald Trump was the situation in the Korean Peninsula, where both nations raised concerns over the peace and security of the Asia Pacific region which is under threat following the nuclear and ballistic missile testing going on in North Korea.

“Malaysia has taken steps to abide by all United Nations resolutions relating to the North Korea threat, including sending back the North Korean diplomatic officers in Malaysia, and we are reviewing our links to North Korea including diplomatic, political and economic relations.

Ahmad had asked about the issues discussed during Najib’s meeting with Trump in Washington DC, United States last month.

Previously, Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman had said that Malaysia has no plans to send an ambassador to Pyongyang again, after the last one was recalled earlier this year.

Malaysia and North Korea were embroiled in a diplomatic crisis over the investigation and possession of the body of Kim Jong-nam, the half brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, who was killed at Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 in February.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 13:19

Others

Source link

Hong Kong to become first Asian host of Gay Games

0

Hong Kong will become the first Asian city to host the Gay Games in 2022 with rights campaigners celebrating the winning bid for a city often criticised for lagging on LGBT rights.

Hong Kong beat Mexico’s Guadalajara and Washington DC to host the 11th edition of the event, with the jubilant bid team saying it would attract 15,000 participants and bring HK$1 billion into the local economy.

Organised by the LGBT community, the Gay Games features a range of sports and is open to all participants, “without regard to sexual orientation, and there are no qualifying standards”, the Hong Kong bid team said in a statement.

Competitors come from many countries, including those where homosexuality remains illegal, it added.

The Gay Games was founded by former Olympic decathlete Tom Waddell and first held in San Francisco in 1982. The next edition will be held in Paris in August next year, featuring 36 sports, from mountain biking to fencing and athletics.

Hong Kong’s Pink Alliance, which promotes equal rights for the LGBT community, said the games would “help to bring a wider understanding and acceptance of our community”, not only in the southern Chinese city but throughout the region.

When the constitutional court in neighbouring Taiwan ruled in favour of allowing gay marriage in May, campaigners in socially conservative Hong Kong highlighted the city’s lack of progress on equality issues.

Hong Kong does not recognise gay marriage and only decriminalised homosexuality in 1991.

But a landmark court decision in September that granted a British lesbian in Hong Kong – known as “QT” – the right to live and work in the city as a dependant of her long-term partner was hailed as a decision that could reduce more hurdles for same-sex couples.

QT had previously been denied a dependant visa by immigration authorities, forcing her instead to stay in Hong Kong on a visitor visa, which did not allow her to work.

Hong Kong’s Gay Games bid chair Dennis Philipse said there was a “spirit and passion for increased inclusion and diversity” in Hong Kong.

However, the campaign for LGBT rights continues to elicit fury from anti-gay campaigners.

Last year, banking giant HSBC placed a pair of rainbow-painted lions in front of its landmark building in the heart of the city to promote support of gay rights, a move slammed as “disgusting” by opponents who rallied in protest.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 13:13

Others

Source link

Hollywood producers kick out disgraced Weinstein

0

LOS ANGELES – The Producers Guild of America banned disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein for life on Monday, vowing that sexual harassment would no longer be tolerated within its ranks.

New accusations of sexual assault have continued to pour in since investigations in the New York Times and New Yorker three weeks ago exposed the tycoon as a relentless, bullying sexual predator.

More than 50 women including stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Mira Sorvino have accused 65-year-old Weinstein of sexual abuse and harassment, although he denies forcing himself on anyone.

“In light of Mr. Weinstein’s widely reported behaviour – with new reports continuing to surface even now – the Producers Guild’s national board has voted unanimously to enact a lifetime ban on Mr. Weinstein, permanently barring him from PGA membership,” the guild said in a statement.

Here are the actresses who’ve accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment, abuse

“This unprecedented step is a reflection of the seriousness with which the guild regards the numerous reports of Mr. Weinstein’s decades of reprehensible conduct. Sexual harassment can no longer be tolerated in our industry or within the ranks of Producers Guild membership.”

The announcement came as accusations of serious sexual assault continued to pile up against Weinstein, whose films have received more than 300 Oscar nominations and 81 statuettes.

Hope Exiner d’Amore has accused Weinstein of raping her in a hotel room in the 1970s, according to a Times article published Monday, while Cynthia Burr said he attacked her in an encounter that ended with forced oral sex in a hallway.

A third complainant, Ashley Matthau, a dancer with a bit part in one of his movies, says he pushed her down on a bed in a 2004 attack, masturbating while straddling her.

On Saturday the New Yorker ran an interview in which actress Annabella Sciorra – an Emmy nominee for her role in the acclaimed television series “The Sopranos” – accused Weinstein of forcing his way into her apartment and violently raping her in the 1990s.

Last week, according to the Times, the actress Dominique Huett filed a lawsuit claiming that in 2010, Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her, while Mimi Haleyi, a former production assistant, told a news conference in New York he had attacked her in 2006.

Police in New York, Los Angeles and London have all confirmed criminal investigations into Weinstein’s activities.

The toppled tycoon was sacked as co-chairman of The Weinstein Company and also resigned from its board.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 12:27

Others

Source link

PHOTOS: 5 things to see at the Tokyo Motor Show

0

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 11:39

5 things to see at the Tokyo Motor Show

Others

Source link