Home Blog Page 1325

Rebel Wilson shares Hollywood sexual harassment experience via Twitter

0

In the wake of sexual assault claims rising in Hollywood, Rebel Wilson has come forward with her own experiences. In a series of tweets, she recounts two instances of sexual harassment. She starts off by saying that although she is a strong and confident person, “I have a story to tell.”

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

The first event she illustrates is when a male star asked her to stick her finger up his butt while friends tried to take a video. Luckily she was able to escape the situation and file a complaint. However, she was threatened by a representative “to be nice and support the male star.”

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Rebel’s other encounter with sexual assault took place in a hotel room with a “top director.” This happened earlier in her career.

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

She also shares how she’s saddened by the stories that have been popping up about sexual harassment and “will no longer be polite” if she ever witnesses the same behaviour again.

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Here are the actresses who’ve accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment, abuse

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 12:34

More about

Sexual Assault

Others

Source link

S Korean president gifts signed EXO album to Jokowi's daughter

0

South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who is currently on a state visit to Indonesia, has presented newlyweds Kahiyang Ayu and Bobby Nasution with a special gift from his home country.

As reported by tempo.co, Moon gave President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s daughter and her new husband a signed copy of an album by K-pop boyband EXO.

The South Korean leader offered the wedding gift during a bilateral meeting with Jokowi at the Bogor Palace on Thursday.

President Jokowi’s daughter weds property firm director

He had also arranged to have Choi Min-ho from K-pop band SHINee record a video message congratulating Kahiyang and Bobby.

Moon chose the gifts knowing that Kahiyang was a fan of the genre, as she has seen several K-pop concerts in Indonesia.

Kahiyang has met and posed for photos with Choi during the Music Bank festival in Jakarta in 2013, as well as SNSD’s Hyoyeon during the Countdown Asian Games 2018 event in August, which was also held in Jakarta.

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 12:28

More about

K-pop Politics

Others

Source link

S. Korea needs to lift veil on growing number of sex addicts

0

A massive global movement was triggered after actresses revealed that Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein had sexually harassed them.

Celebrities and ordinary people around the globe are opening up about their experiences of sexual abuse on social media with the hashtag #MeToo.

In South Korea, the issue is no less serious, although the campaign has not really taken off here yet.

Rape against minors, sexual harassment at work and sexually-motivated murder cases are making headlines. Fear and rage against sex offenders have spiked, and more people are calling for harsher punishments.

But before talking about increasing punishments for sexual predators, South Korea needs to realise that its systems are failing gravely in preventing sex addicts from turning into abusers, says Kim Seong, the head of the Korea Sex Addiction Psychotherapy Association.

“I am not advocating for sex offenders, but if we do not treat them, it will just lead to repeated offences,” Kim told The Korea Herald at his office in Bucheon, Gyeonggi Province.

He spoke with a sense of urgency about the need for medical treatment and education, citing the testimonies of underage perverts who committed sex crimes knowing that they would not be punished because of their age.

“We are talking about some extreme level of urges here and if we do not treat them, it leads to the crimes we often hear about in society, from the hidden cameras and sexual assault to sexually motivated murders,” Kim said.

According to data from the Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service, only 326 people received treatment for sexual perversion last year, when the number of sex crimes also rose to its peak of 29,414.

There are conflicting views about sex addiction and perversion, but Kim believes it is a disorder that requires treatment. Like those addicted to alcohol, drugs and gambling, sex addicts cannot control themselves even if it causes physical or emotional harm to themselves and others.

Sex addiction could take forms of voyeurism, paedophilia, unconsented sadomasochism or addiction to romantic relationships and obsession with a partner, he explained.

Having studied sex addiction and worked as a therapist for over two decades, Kim has met and treated many people, mostly criminals. Often, they think they were just “unlucky” to be caught.

“They are usually not first-time offenders and I say to them they were lucky to be caught only once,” Kim said. “These criminals do not understand that their actions were wrong and showed little sympathy for the victims.”

Kim thinks that the advent of the internet era in the 1990s made access easier to pornography and the world of sexual deviation. Korean society, however, kept pretending as if nothing was happening.

“We now see oppressed desires exploding through the internet, and now even criminal content, such as footage secretly taken without consent, are brazenly shared online,” he said, noting the difficulty of censoring online content without infringing on human rights.

A society that is conservative on the surface keeps people who struggle with sex-related problems from seeking help, Kim said.

The longstanding customs of a male-centred society also played a role in many distorted views of sexual relationships. In men’s world, sexual escort services were offered to secure contracts and build relationships, he noted.

It was around the 1990s when the internet was distributed quickly in Korean society that Kim grew interested in the anonymous sexual desires manifested in random chatting on the internet.

“I was studying the psychology of addiction and was also interested in computers at the time. I saw people regardless of gender and backgrounds openly expressing desires that were hidden deep inside,” he said.

“It was online chats in the beginning but I observed it quickly developed into video conversations and exchanging porn, and there were no limits.”

He started to work as a cyber ethics instructor and also volunteered to counsel sex offenders, studying over thousands of them since early 2000. After years of study and consultation, he opened a therapy centre in 2006.

Unlike other kinds of addictions, sexual perversion is directly linked to basic human desires, making it more difficult to treat the patients.

“Addiction to alcohol or drugs is affected by the surrounding environment and getting rid of those external factors usually helps. Sex addiction is not like that.”

But it is not hopeless, he said, when they are treated the right way. Treatment involves listening to the patients and also making them understand how their actions have hurt others and themselves.

“Through proper treatment and counselling, sex addicts are given a chance to live a normal life, recover their relationships with their partners and acquaintances. It is not an easy process and not always successful, but it can prevent problems from worsening,” he added.

Also read: Think you may be a sex addict?

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 12:29

Others

Source link

Philippines beauty queen-actress apologises for removing traffic cones and driving in Asean lane

0

Filipino beauty queen-actress Maria Isabel Lopez says she is sorry for removing the traffic cones and taking the ASEAN lane reserved for visiting dignitaries last Saturday.

Lopez told the Inquirer on Sunday that she will “issue a public apology” for her actions.

“The end doesn’t justify the means, but I needed to answer the call of nature because I had been stuck in traffic for three hours. Sorry, but I’m only human,” Lopez said in an email interview.

She recalled that the incident had occurred on Edsa, near SM Megamall in Metro Manila, at around 6 pm on Saturday night.

Lopez, who was behind the wheel, explained that she had asked an MMDA officer if she could take the ASEAN lane.

“He said no because I didn’t have a pass,” she said. “But I argued that other vehicles – taxi cabs, buses and motorcycles – had already entered the lane.”

She pointed out that the MMDA officer was even “smiling” at her as she made her plea.

“The MMDA officer had left in the middle of our conversation because of the taxis and buses behind me,” she recounted. “This prompted me to remove the cones.”

The actress related that “by the time I did it, the MMDA had allowed other vehicles to pass through the ASEAN lane. They know that they eventually opened the southbound lane.”

She said that she is now telling her side, “to make the story complete.”

Lopez noted that she believes that she had been “singled out” because of her Facebook post on the issue.

 

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 11:29

More about

traffic offences

Others

Source link

Mr Bean actor Rowan Atkinson to be a father for the 3rd time at age 62

0

Actor Rowan Atkinson, star of popular British comedy series Mr Bean and Blackadder, is set to be a father again at the age of 62.

It is the first child for the British comedian and his girlfriend, actress Lousie Ford, 33, British papers reported.

Atkinson has two adult children – 23-year-old Ben and 21-year-old Lily – from his previous marriage to former BBC make-up atrtist Sunetra Sastry. The couple divorced in 2015 after 25 years of marriage.

Atkinson reportedly met Ford, who is 29 years his junior, when they appeared in a play together at London’s West End in 2013.

The news comes after a Daily Mail report last month that Lily, a burlesque dancer, had decided to ditch her father’s surname, taking on the maiden name of her mother instead.

Atkinson with his daughter Lily.Photo: Palm News

Ford had recently been spotted on a shopping trip in London looking heavily pregnant, and is expected to give birth before the end of the year. 

A source had told the Sunday People: “Rowan and Louise are over the moon and can’t wait for their new arrival. It’s a very happy time for them both.”

Atkinson’s agent has so far not responded to requests for comment.

candicec@sph.com.sg

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 10:40

More about

babies

Mr Bean actor Rowan Atkinson, 62, fathers 3rd child with girlfriend, 33

Others

Source link

Given a year's salary and asked to leave when she complained about harassment

0

Singapore

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 10:40

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

6 arrested for verbally abusing, causing hurt to police officers

0

Police have arrested five men and a woman, aged between 18 and 36, in four separate cases of using abusive language and voluntarily causing hurt to police officers.

In the first case on Nov 11, 2017 at about 5.20pm, officers from Ang Mo Kio Division received a call for assistance at Blk 462 Sembawang Drive.

Upon seeing the officers, a 36-year-old man shouted and hurled vulgarities at them. The man was subsequently arrested for using abusive language against a public servant.

In the second case on the same day at about 8.40pm, an 18-year- old man was seen hitting himself on his head during a dispute at Blk 211B Compassvale Lane. When officers from Ang Mo Kio Police Division tried to stop him from hurting himself, the man turned violent and assaulted a female officer. He was subsequently arrested for voluntarily causing hurt against a public servant.

In the third incident at about 4.30am on Nov 12, an officer from Clementi Police Division who was performing a routine patrol at a public entertainment outlet along Sentosa Gateway was assaulted by two 23-year-old men as he tried to stop a dispute. A 23-year-old woman also grabbed the officer and punched him. They were arrested for voluntarily causing hurt against a public servant.

On the same day at about 10.20am, police received a report that a drunk man was causing a nuisance at a coffee shop along Lorong 10 Geylang.

When officers from Bedok Police Division approached the man and tried to stop him from throwing things around, he kicked one of the officers. The 44-year-old man was arrested for voluntarily causing hurt to a public servant.

The 36-year-old man will be charged on Nov 13 with the offence of using abusive language against public servant. He could be jailed for up to 12 months and fined up to $5,000.

The other suspects will be charged with the offence of voluntarily causing hurt to a public servant in the discharge of his duty. If found guilty, they may face a jail term of up to seven years, and may be fined or caned.

a1admin@sph.com.sg

Singapore

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 10:30

More about

assault

AsiaOne

Others

Source link

F4's Jerry Yan rumoured to be back with ex-girlfriend Lin Chiling

0

[Update Nov 13] Jerry Yan has alluded to rekindling his romance with Lin Chiling during their recent meeting in Malaysia.

In an Apple Daily Taiwan report, Yan said: “I’m happy to be in contact with Lin. We’re sincerely looking after each other. I’ve read the reports, and hope everyone will give us some space.”

Meanwhile, the model-actress’ studio thanked members of the public for their concern in a statement and requested that they respect Lin’s privacy.


Taiwanese actor Jerry Yan has come to Kuala Lumpur to meet model-cum-actress Lin Chi-ling who is here for a function, China Press reported.

There was speculation that the Taiwanese duo, who started dating in 2000 but broke up about six years later, had got back together.

Photo: Weibo

The daily received a tip-off from a reader that Yan, 42, was seen alone at the KL International Airport 2 on Friday evening.

A reporter then rushed to the hotel in Kuala Lumpur where Lin was staying to gather information.

At about 9pm on the same day, Yan and Lin arrived in a car at the hotel.

Then Yan took his luggage out from the car and went into the hotel with Lin. It was learnt that Lin’s work in KL was completed on Friday but she stayed back for two more days.

Photo: Weibo/Lin Chiling

Previously, there was talk that 40-year-old Yan, who is a member of the highly popular Taiwanese boy band F4, and Lin had gotten back together.

However, both of them denied this.

Yan is the only one in the boy band who is still single.

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 10:06

Others

Source link

Shawn Mendes wins best artist at MTV Europe Music Awards

0

LONDON – Canadian teen singer Shawn Mendes on Sunday won best artist and best song at the MTV Europe Music Awards (EMA) in London, pipping heavyweight competitors such as Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus and Ed Sheeran.

The awards ceremony at Wembley Arena, the first to be staged in the British capital in 20 years, were hosted by Rita Ora and featured performances by U2 and David Guetta.

In a first for the EMAs, which were created in 1994, MTV announced categories stripped of gender in a bid to “break barriers”.

Mendes, 19, who launched his career by posting song covers to the internet before getting signed to a record label, also scooped the “biggest fans” award.

He performed the track that won him best song – “There’s Nothing Holding Me Back” – in front of an electrified crowd in London.

Eminem, who opened the show by unveiling his new single “Walk on Water” – ahead of the release on Friday of his latest album “Revival” – won for best hip hop artist.

MTV Europe Music Awards returns to London with glitzy show

Cuban-American singer Camila Cabello was honoured with the best pop prize, while Coldplay snatched the best rock award.

French DJ David Guetta, who performed in front of the youthful crowd, won for best electronic act. Taylor Swift, who was expected to be one of the big winners of the night with six nominations, failed to win any awards.

The majority of the winners were picked by music fans in an online vote, from 12 categories listed and a further 32 separate prizes for different countries and regions.

Louis Tomlinson, from the boy band One Direction, landed the best UK and Ireland act.

The best video, claimed by US rapper Kendrick Lamar, was one of the few awards to be chosen by the MTV team.

Other big-name winners included Ed Sheeran, for best live act, and Dua Lipa, for best new performer.

Thirty Seconds to Mars were named best alternative. Irish band U2 collected MTV’s “Global Icon” gong, previously awarded to Queen, Whitney Houston and Eminem.

“U2’s impact on music, pop culture and social issues around the world has been tremendous,” said Bruce Gillmer, producer of the awards ceremony.

“For over four decades and counting, they’ve entertained, influenced, and inspired fans around the globe,” he added.

U2 performed in London’s Trafalgar Square the night before the MTV awards, along with DJ Guetta, to a crowd of 7,000 who won free tickets in a ballot.

This year saw the MTV Europe Music Awards return to London for the first time since 1996. British singer and actress Rita Ora took charge of the ceremony and also turned in a popular stage performance.

The cable channel also runs the Video Music Awards which are renowned for top performances and the occasional controversy, including pop diva Lady Gaga wearing a dress made of meat to the ceremony in 2010.

The previous Video Music Awards saw hip hop artist Kanye West leap on stage to interrupt an acceptance speech by Swift and argue that Beyonce was better.

Monday, November 13, 2017 – 09:39

More about

awards MTV

Others

Source link