Home Blog Page 1238

Indonesian singer Agnez Mo announces collaboration with Chris Brown, clarifies they're 'just friends'

0

Indonesian singer Agnes Monica, popularly known as Agnez Mo, announced her collaboration with American singer-slash-songwriter Chris Brown on Wednesday.

On her Instagram account, Agnez uploaded a photo of Brown’s new album Heartbreak on a Full Moon Deluxe Edition: Cuffing Season – 12 Days of Christmas. Comprising a total of 57 tracks, the album features a collaboration with Agnez titled “On Purpose.”

Agnez writes,” Surprise! Check out our collaboration on ‘On Purpose.’ Chris featuring your girl #AGNEZMO on his deluxe album.”

Prior to Agnez’s post, Brown uploaded the album to his Instagram account. However, he did not tag Agnez in the photo.

Agnez and Brown’s relationship has been a topic of discussion for the media since November after the two musicians uploaded photos together on their Instagram accounts, sparking speculation they were dating.

However, Agnez clarified last week, as reported by kompas.com that she and Brown were just friends.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 11:45

Others

Source link

Man desperate to pay off wife's gambling debts forks out $70,000 — to become loan shark

0

A 52-year-old man, Low Buay Huat, claimed that he became a loan shark to pay off gambling debts owed by his wife.

Among his customers were taxi drivers, pimps and even contractors. Low charged them interest as high as 28 per cent every month.

He was subsequently arrested on Jan 17, 2017, reported Shin Min Daily News.

Low was sentenced to 33 months’ jail and fined $400,000 on Monday (Dec 11).

He faced a total of 38 charges and pleaded guilty to 10 of them under the Moneylenders Act, and one count of failing to submit to the Official Receiver a statement of affairs of HTR Technologies while he was a director of the company.

Read also


Dead couple believed to owe loan sharks $32,416
Dead couple believed to owe loan sharks $32,416<!–

Dead couple believed to owe loan sharks $32,416

//afarkas.github.io/lazysizes/lazysizes.min.js

Court documents revealed that Low and a co-accused, Seah Han Leng, 45, were drinking at Orchard Towers when a friend, Mark, told them that he knew a lot of pimps and taxi drivers operating near the Orchard Road building who were always in need of money.

Low and Seah thus decided to start an illegal moneylending service, each raising $10,000 for their ‘enterprise’.

For every $1,000 Low loaned out, he would charge an additional $10 every day until the debtor paid off his debts.

The business grew, and a friend introduced a contractor as a potential client and Low increased his investments to $70,000.

From the sum, he loaned $30,000 to a taxi driver and a pimp, while the remaining $40,000 was loaned to a contractor.

During the time of his arrest, Low was providing loans to over 21 individuals, with over $177,500 loaned out.

He was collecting between 20 and 28 per cent interest every month.

During his mitigation plea, Low’s lawyer said that his client’s wife was a gambling addict and Low was compelled to become an illegal moneylender so he could pay off her debts.

Singapore

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 11:18

More about

loansharks

Stomp

Others

Source link

Another baby arrives in a GrabCar — barely a minute after parents board vehicle

0

Couple Reuben Chow and Cindy Lim became parents to a baby girl in the back seat of Grab driver Mohammad Fazli Bin Omar’s Toyota Altis on Nov 21 at 2.42am.

Fazli did not expect the ride to Mount Alvernia Hospital to end with three passengers on board.

“I booked a GrabCar as my wife wasn’t having any regular contractions at that point, and based on our experience with our first two children, the entire labour process typically takes a couple of hours,” said Reuben.

“However, just before we left the house, my wife’s contractions intensified and escalated very quickly. We took some time and effort to even get into the car and, barely a minute or two into the ride, my wife said that the baby was arriving!

“We had to improvise on the spot and it was such a relief to hear the baby’s first cry.

“Our home is only a 5 to 7-minute drive to the hospital so you can imagine how quickly everything unfolded.”

Understandably, Fazli was shocked but he managed to compose himself to get the family to the hospital safe and sound.

“I was definitely shocked when I noticed that Mdm Cindy Lim was in labour — I have never been in such a situation while being on the job! I did my best to stay calm and focused on driving them safely to the hospital. Thankfully, it was a short drive and the night traffic was smooth,” said Fazli.

When they arrived at the hospital, Cindy and the newborn were brought into the emergency room after Fazli alerted staff to the situation.

Reuben even offered to help Fazli clean up his car before they parted ways.

“We are grateful that Mohammad Fazli waited patiently for us at the pick-up point and did not reject us after he realised what was going on. He was generally also very calm and nice about the whole situation,” Reuben added.

To celebrate the birth of Elora-Fae Chow, Singapore’s second GrabCar baby, Grab organised a reunion for the passengers and driver-partner at its office in Midview City on 13 December.

Andrew Chan, Head of GrabCar Singapore, presented Reuben and Cindy with a Grab voucher worth $8,000, and a special Grab onesie for baby Elora-Fae. Grab also awarded Mr Mohammad Fazli with fuel vouchers worth $800 for his 5-star service, and a hand-drawn thank you card from Reuben and Cindy’s 5-year-old daughter, Sarah-Ann.

Hand-drawn thank you cards from Reuben and Cindy’s 5-year-old daughter, Sarah-AnnPhoto: Stomp
Hand-drawn thank you cards from Reuben and Cindy’s 5-year-old daughter, Sarah-AnnPhoto: Stomp

 

“We couldn’t have been more proud of our driver-partner, Fazli, who remained calm and brought both the parents and baby safely to the hospital. Our heartiest congratulations to Reuben and Cindy and the latest addition to their family, we’re really glad to be part of this joyous occasion!” said Andrew Chan.

This is the second baby to be born in a GrabCar. On Aug 12, a woman gave birth to a baby boy while travelling on the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE).

Singapore

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 11:08

Stomp

Others

Source link

Jurong Bird Park welcomes first king penguin chick in nearly a decade

0

Singapore

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 11:02

More about

Wildlife Reserves Singapore birds Jurong Bird Park

AsiaOne

Revised

Source link

Zhang Ziyi: I've never thought I belong to Hollywood

0

During her promotional event of the upcoming movie Forever Young, superstar Zhang Ziyi replied to the questions raised by her fans.

Speaking about the so-called “streaming stars”, referring to pop idols pursuing internet fame instead of focusing on quality performance, Zhang said it’s a matter of personal choice.

But she suggested stars should choose scripts that suit them, instead for merely listening to their agents, if money is not the top priority.

Leading actors and actresses of the movie Forever Young, including Wang Lee Hom, Huang Xiaoming, and Chang Chen attend the promotional event. Photo: China Daily/Asia News Network

As one of the most famous Chinese stars in the West, Zhang has recently starred in two Hollywood blockbusters, God Particle, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

Photo: China Daily/Asia News Network

But she said, “I’ve never thought I belong to Hollywood.” Zhang added she considers shooting for Hollywood commercial movies comparatively easier, thus giving her more time to be with her daughter nicknamed Xingxing.

 

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 10:57

More about

movies

Others

Source link

This is how Singapore Airlines' new A380 looks like

0

Singapore

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 10:03

AsiaOne

Others

Source link

Bon Jovi, Nina Simone enter Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

0

NEW YORK – Arena-packing anthem rockers Bon Jovi, soul legend Nina Simone and gritty English pub band Dire Straits on Wednesday won spots in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

New Wave pop songwriters The Cars, R&B-infused progressive rockers The Moody Blues and Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the gospel inspiration for early rockers, rounded up spots in the 2018 class that will enter the shrine to rock culture.

The Hall of Fame, which surveyed some 1,000 historians and music industry players to select the new inductees, will welcome the six artists in a gala concert on April 14 in its home base of Cleveland.

Bon Jovi, the hard rockers from New Jersey led by namesake Jon Bon Jovi, came out on top in a survey that drew 6.8 million fans, whose preferences were taken into account to give an extra vote to five acts.

With a string of quickly memorable hits such as Livin’ on a Prayer, You Give Love a Bad Name and Wanted Dead or Alive, Bon Jovi became kings in the 1980s, packing arenas on their exhaustive tours full of pyrotechnics.

Unlike the hair metal bands that were their contemporaries, Bon Jovi preserved a family-friendly image, helping the band win a following in diverse corners of the world.

Bon Jovi was notably the first Western rock group approved to tour the then Soviet Union when the communist system opened up under Mikhail Gorbachev’s glasnost reforms.

Fans will watch closely to see if the Hall of Fame concert will see the band reunite with its longtime guitarist Richie Sambora, who quit in 2013 citing a desire for more personal time.

Simone, who won induction on her first nomination, was widely considered one of the most influential singers of the 20th century who brought the sensibilities of classical music to gospel and jazz.

Raised in segregated North Carolina, Simone became an passionate advocate for racial equality, with her best-known song perhaps the civil rights anthem To Be Young, Gifted and Black. Simone died in self-exile in France in 2003. She has enjoyed renewed attention following a 2015 Netflix documentary, What Happened, Miss Simone? Simone’s induction comes as the Hall of Fame increasingly broadens its definition. It honoured rappers the last two years, describing rock ‘n’ roll as more attitude than musical genre.

Tharpe, who died in 1973, was chosen for her early influence on rock.

With her confident stage presence and distortion on her guitar, Tharpe took gospel music to new audiences in the 1930s and 1940s, helping set the stage for rock ‘n’ roll after World War II.

She was especially influential to Little Richard, the rock pioneer who was in the Hall of Fame’s first class in 1986, with Tharpe discovering the future star’s voice when he was selling soft drinks at her concert.

The induction will raise fans’ hopes for a reunion of Dire Straits, who broke up in 1995.

Led by Mark Knopfler, the group emerged from Britain’s so-called pub rock scene of the 1970s, which emphasised blues roots and no-frills musicianship in an era of angry punks and flamboyant glam bands.

Dire Straits paradoxically won a following on newborn MTV with tracks such as Money for Nothing, a muscular song, originally with a homophobic slur, from the point of view of working-class men who resent wealthy rockers seen on the music channel.

In its citation, the Hall of Fame credited the London band with its revival of Americana, saying, “Dire Straits dragged rock kicking and screaming back to its gritty, country roots using beefy guitar licks and bluesy vocals.”

The Cars, led by Ric Ocasek, went in a different direction, bringing the quirky electronic effects of New Wave to classically structured pop songs, generating a string of hits such as You Might Think, Shake It Up, Just What I Needed and Drive.

The Moody Blues, who still tour regularly, started in R&B but shifted gears sharply with 1967’s concept album Days of Future Passed. With its incorporation of classical music, the album helped create progressive rock, with its more ambitious structures.

The Hall of Fame notably did not select Radiohead or Rage Against the Machine. They were nominated in their first year of eligibility, often a strong sign of success.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 09:49

Others

Source link

Salma Hayek says 'monster' Weinstein once threatened to kill her

0

NEW YORK – A-lister Salma Hayek on Wednesday (Dec 13) joined the scores of actresses to accuse Harvey Weinstein, alleging that the fallen Hollywood mogul sexually harassed her, subjected her to escalating rage and once threatened to kill her.

“For years, he was my monster,” the Mexican-born star wrote in an essay published in The New York Times, detailing the torturous production of the 2002 movie Frida that eventually earned Hayek an Oscar nomination for best actress.

After reaching a deal for Weinstein to pay for the rights to the movie that would eventually catapult her to household fame, the now 51-year-old actress and producer said it became “my turn to say no.”

“No to opening the door to him at all hours of the night, hotel after hotel, location after location,” she wrote.

“No to me taking a shower with him. No to letting him watch me take a shower. No to letting him give me a massage. No to letting a naked friend of his give me a massage. No to letting him give me oral sex. No to my getting naked with another woman.”

Weinstein’s “Machiavellian rage” accompanied every refusal and once included “the terrifying words, ‘I will kill you, don’t think I can’t,” she said.

Here are the actresses who’ve accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment, abuse

After jumping through impossible demands set by Weinstein to keep the movie on track, Hayek said the sexual harassment stopped once filming began “but the rage escalated.” Weinstein berated her performance, chided her for a role that showed no sex appeal and agreed to let her finish only if she agreed to do a sex scene with another woman, and demanded “full-frontal nudity,” she said.

When it came to shooting the scene, Hayek said she suffered a nervous breakdown and had to take a tranquilizer. When the movie was finished, Weinstein allegedly said it was not good enough for theatrical release and threatened to send it straight to video.

Frida – a critically acclaimed biopic about the life of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo – eventually won two Oscars and grossed more than US$56 million at the box office.

“Until there is equality in our industry, with men and women having the same value in every aspect of it, our community will continue to be a fertile ground for predators,” Hayek wrote.

“Men sexually harassed because they could. Women are talking today because, in this new era, we finally can.”

More than 100 women have publicly accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to rape since exposes published in the Times and The New Yorker in early October. The scandal has finished his career, upended his company and ended his marriage.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 09:46

Others

Source link

Complaints of noise from empty flat: Some issues defy explanation, says Tan Chuan-Jin

0

Singapore

Thursday, December 14, 2017 – 09:21

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

Ripple effects from Washington’s Jerusalem declaration could spread to Asia: Maliki

0

SINGAPORE: Senior Minister of State for Defence Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman said on Wednesday (Dec 13) that Singapore must be prepared should tensions build up in this region after Washington’s declaration of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital last week.

Dr Maliki said that the status of Jerusalem is a “sensitive and complex issue with a long history” and any “premature and unilateral action” to alter its status will impede progress for a peaceful resolution of the Middle East. He added that Washington’s declaration will further “destabilise the region and make efforts to combat terrorism all the more difficult”.

Dr Maliki was speaking at the 14th Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Senior Military Expert Appointment Ceremony at the Temasek club, where 99 servicemen and servicewomen were appointed Senior Military Experts (MEs). The graduating cohort comprised 18 from the Singapore Army, 38 from the Republic of Singapore Navy, 25 from the Republic of Singapore Air Force and 18 from Joint.

Senior Minister of State for Defence Dr Mohamad Maliki Bin Osman presenting the Sword of Honour to Military Expert (ME) 4 Ryan Goh Su-Shien at the 14th Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Senior Military Expert Appointment Ceremony (SMEAC). (Photo: Mindef)

In his speech, the minister said the current security situation in the world remains “tense”, while threats are constantly evolving: “The North Korean nuclear situation has caused great concern amongst the nations of East Asia and the US. Tensions in the South China Sea persist as countries assert their claims over the disputed waters.”

Referring to the Las Vegas mass shooting incident in October and the terrorist attacks in Europe involving vehicles being driven into crowds, Dr Maliki said these new terror methods are a reminder that we need to be “ever-vigilant and agile to adapt our means of defence against these threats”.

CYBER THREATS

With regard to cyber defence, Dr Maliki said that increased digitisation has contributed to a rise in the risk of cyber threats that have the potential to cause much disruption. He cited the IT network breaches of two Singapore universities in April, as well as Yahoo’s disclosure in October that three billion of its accounts were hacked in a 2013 data theft, the largest data breach in history.

To meet this emerging threat, Dr Maliki said that the SAF inaugurated the SAF C4 Command and the Cyber Defence Group in November, to strengthen Singapore’s defence against attacks in the digital domain.

He said the Military Domain Experts Scheme (MDES) scheme will deepen the SAF’s expertise in this area and facilitate its ability to groom the existing uniformed cyber security experts through professional upgrading, and recruit individuals with relevant academic background or experts from the cyber security industry.

Source link