Home Blog Page 1211

Singapore researchers develop system that predicts treatment targets for cancer

0

SINGAPORE: Singapore scientists have made a unique discovery about how to treat cancers – when it comes to pinpointing cancer treatment targets, it is better to listen to many computer programmes rather than just one, said the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) on Tuesday (Jan 2).

A*STAR said researchers at the Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS) have developed an advanced system that integrates this “wisdom of the crowd” into a single accurate prediction referred to as a consensus algorithm for treatment targets in individual cancers. 

The discovery, recently published in Cancer Research, was jointly led by Dr Denis Bertrand and Professor Niranjan Nagarajan from GIS, and included researchers from the National Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS) and the National University of Singapore (NUS).

The scientists said only a handful of cancer cells give rise to a tumour. Identifying the “driver” mutations that promote the uncontrolled growth of cancer cells in the body is a key challenge for the emerging field of precision oncology.

GIS Executive Director Professor Ng Huck Hui said: “The complexity of cancer genetics is one of the biggest challenges that we face in treating it. By precisely identifying actionable mutations, and tailoring treatments to individuals, we are moving a step closer to precision medicine. I am delighted to note the ongoing development of new algorithms and technologies by GIS scientists to achieve this vision.”

To develop this system, researchers analysed data from more than 3,000 tumours across 15 different cancer types including colon, breast, lung, stomach and liver cancer. They studied 18 different existing algorithms and found that each one of them on its own could not identify driver mutations in a significant proportion of patients. Furthermore, no single method was able to identify treatable drivers in more than 60 per cent of patients.

Noting that the methods had very different strengths, researchers combined them to develop a new system known as ConsensusDriver. By utilising this new system, they were able to identify treatment targets in nearly all patients studied, 80 per cent of whom could be treated with existing drugs.

Workflow for the ConsensusDriver system in analysing patient tumours and identifying target treatments. (Image: A*STAR)

Dr Denis Bertrand, staff scientist at GIS and lead author of this work said: “Developing ConsensusDriver and working with The Cancer Genome Atlas has been an eye-opening experience. This is collaborative science on an international scale and we are making rapid advances in being able to give the right drug to the right patient at the right time.”

According to the World Health Organization, cancer is among the leading causes of death worldwide and was responsible for 8.8 million deaths in 2015, and an estimated global economic impact of approximately US$1.16 trillion in 2010.

Source link

Fugitive Vietnamese businessman detained in Singapore, lawyers say

0

SINGAPORE – A real estate developer wanted by Vietnamese authorities amid a crackdown on corruption has been detained in Singapore, lawyers representing him said on Tuesday.

Phan Van Anh Vu, 42, was detained in Singapore on Thursday at the Tuas border checkpoint as he tried to leave for Malaysia, said Remy Choo, who said he had been engaged by Vu’s family to represent him but had not yet been able to contact him.

Vietnam’s Ministry of Public Security said last month it was seeking the arrest of Vu, a major property developer in the central city of Danang, where the local leadership was shaken up after corruption accusations last year.

Vietnamese media quoted police as saying Vu was wanted for revealing state secrets. They did not say what these related to or whether that was linked to his role as a property developer.

Choo said Vu had applied for asylum in a European country.

Another lawyer retained by the family, Foo Chow Ming, said:”I am now trying to obtain access to see Mr Vu, who is held in remand.” Singapore’s Immigration and Checkpoints Authority did not respond immediately to a request for comment.

Vietnam’s foreign ministry also did not respond immediately to a request for comment on Vu’s detention in Singapore and whether Hanoi had sought his extradition.

Singapore has close diplomatic and trade ties to Vietnam. This year, Singapore is also chairing the regional Association of Southeast Asian Nations grouping, which has sought to strengthen regional co-operation on all fronts.

Dozens of Vietnamese officials and business figures have been arrested in a crackdown on corruption that has gathered pace since the security establishment gained greater sway in the ruling Communist Party in 2016.

The crackdown grabbed world headlines last year when Germany accused Vietnam of kidnapping a former oil executive to return him home to face trial.

Singapore

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 – 11:24

More about

ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority)

Reuters

Others

Source link

880,000 HDB households to receive GST voucher rebate in January

0

SINGAPORE: About 880,000 Singaporean HDB households will receive the next instalment of the GST Voucher – Utilities-Save (U-Save) rebate this month, the Ministry of Finance announced on Tuesday (Jan 2).

The U-Save rebate is one of three components under the permanent GST Voucher scheme. The U-Save rebate helps HDB households offset part of their utilities bills, and serves to lower overall household expenses. It is distributed every three months. The U-Save rebate is expected to cost S$265 million over four quarters, starting from July 2017.

In January 2018, eligible Singaporean households will each receive a GST Voucher – U-Save of up to S$95, depending on their HDB flat type.

GST VOUCHER – U-Save for January 2018. (Image: Ministry of Finance)

Source link

Vietnamese property magnate who is wanted in Vietnam detained in Singapore

0

Singapore

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 – 09:40

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

Big Bang promises fans to return as fivesome

0

Rounding out 2017, K-pop act Big Bang on Sunday wrapped up its last concert as a group before members’ upcoming military enlistment, with a promise to return as the complete five-piece.

“Big Bang 2017 Concert Last Dance in Seoul,” the two-day concert that kicked off Saturday at Gocheok Sky Dome in Seoul, was especially meaningful to both the K-pop act and fans, as it marked Big Bang’s last performance before it goes on hiatus due to members G-Dragon, Taeyang and Daesung’s upcoming enlistment. And the members used the time to assure the more than 60,000 fans from all around the world that it won’t be their “last dance.”

“We won’t be able to meet you (fans) for some time, so we will do our best to present you the most unforgettable memories,” said Taeyang after the group opened the show with “Hands Up.”

In the absence of rapper T.O.P, who halted group activities after becoming embroiled in a drug scandal in August, the remaining four members filled the three-hour show with the group’s longtime hits, including “We Like 2 Party,” “Bad Boy,” “Loser” and “If You,” as well as solo performances by the individual members.

The show was delayed for about 20 minutes without prior announcement, but the fans remained patient and supportive, and the show began well.

Big Bang performs during its “Big Bang 2017 Concert Last Dance in Seoul” at Gocheok Sky Dome in Seoul.Photo: YG Entertainment

During the solo parts, Taeyang crooned his solo hits “Wake Me Up” and “Darling,” while G-Dragon performed his latest singles “Bullshit” and “Untitled, 2014,” saying that he didn’t have much opportunity to promote his new songs at the time.

“Some of you might hear these songs for the first time, although they are not new. It’s my pleasure to perform these songs today,” said G-Dragon, whose promotion for his latest eponymous EP “Kwon Ji-yong” had coincided with T.O.P’s drug scandal.

Daesung, who has been holding promotional activities in Japan, sang his solo numbers “D-Day” and “AZECHO,” and Seungri brought out his classic solo hit “Strong Baby.” “I’ve been promoting my solo career mainly in Japan, and I wanted to sing in Korean. If I have a good opportunity, I’d like to sing for you again (in Korean) in the future,” Daesung said. The members also showed their support for T.O.P, with Daesung filling in the rapper’s part in “Sober” and Seungri shouting “Say T.O.P!” during the performances.

Photo: YG Entertainment

Near the end of the concert, the members became emotional, putting out their thoughts about having to “temporarily” leave the fans.

“The ‘last dance’ doesn’t mean much to us. I am confident that it won’t be our last, and we will see each other soon if you (fans) stay where you are,” said G-dragon, who is scheduled to join the military in the next few months. Taeyang, who also plans to enlist this year, promised fans to return as a fivesome after finishing his military service. Seungri also said, “There are a total of 280 songs by Big Bang, including our solo songs, and they include our promise to return as one whole group.”

Photo: YG Entertainment

 

Since its debut in 2006, Big Bang has been making waves throughout the K-pop scene with the its experimental blend of hip-hop, electronic dance music and rock in its music. Often dubbed the “King of K-pop” for helping K-pop spread internationally, the quintet also made history on the charts with hits like “Day by Day,” “Fantastic Baby” and “Bang Bang Bang.”

While their enlistment dates are yet to be set, the group’s agency YG Entertainment has confirmed that G-Dragon and Taeyang, who ties the knot with actress Min Hyo-rin in February, will join the military this year. Daesung also revealed during the Sunday concert that the show would be his last activity before his enlistment.

 

Monday, January 1, 2018 – 22:33

Others

Source link

Lee Joon, Jung So-min confirmed to be dating

0

Lee Joon and Jung So-min couple from the recent KBS drama “My Father is Strange” may have become a real-life couple.

Previously, a local news outlet reported that Lee, currently serving his mandatory military duty, was recently spotted dating Jung while he left the barracks on leave. The report said the two were seen shopping for a scarf at a local mall.

On Monday, Lee’s agency Prain TPC confirmed the rumours, saying that the actor has been dating Jung since October last year after starring together in “My Father is Strange.” The drama, which ended in August, featured Lee and Jung as an onscreen couple.

Jung’s agency Jellyfish Entertainment also released an official statement verifying the pair’s relationship.

Lee debuted in 2009 as a member of K-pop boy band MBLA, and has been pursuing both musical and acting careers since 2010. He has been serving in the military since Oct. 24 last year. Jung, one year his junior, made her acting debut in 2010 with a supporting role in TV series “Bad Guy.” She has recently starred in tvN’s romantic comedy series “This Is My First Life.”

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 – 07:00

Others

Source link

G-Dragon, Lee Joo-yeon dating rumour resurfaces

0

Dating rumours between Big Bang’s G-Dragon and singer-turned-actress Lee Joo-yeon have resurfaced.

A local media outlet on Monday reported that the Big Bang frontman and Lee, formerly a member of K-pop girl group After School, have been secretly dating for over a year, claiming that the two celebs recently went on a four-day trip to Jeju Island together.

The two were swept up in dating rumours in November last year, when the photos of the two enjoying a trip in Hawaii raised suspicions among fans. G-Dragon and Lee’s agencies both denied the rumours and stated they were accompanied by their acquaintances on their vacations to Hawaii.

Regarding the latest dating rumour, YG Entertainment couldn’t be reached for comment as of Monday afternoon, while Lee’s agency Better ENT said it is in the process of confirming it with Lee.

Monday, January 1, 2018 – 22:19

Others

Source link

Horror New Year's Eve motorcycle crash in Thailand claims second Singaporean

0

Singapore

Monday, January 1, 2018 – 21:51

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

Friends arrives on Netflix Singapore

0

SINGAPORE: Spread the word. Netflix has adopted all 10 seasons of the cult nineties series Friends onto its streaming site.

Nearly 14 years after the final episode aired in May 2004, Netflix announced on Facebook on Monday (Jan 1) that it is bringing back the American TV sitcom, much to the elation of its fans.

And it’s all thanks to a fan called Gavin Neo, it seems.

In a video posted on Facebook, Netflix said: “While Singapore learnt Spanish with the Cali Cartel, fell for Steve Harrington, went gaga over nasi lemak and grumbled about public transport, one guy’s obsession over his favourite squad of six never wavered.”

The video went on to show screengrab of posts from Gavin, repeatedly asking for Friends to be brought to Netflix Singapore.

In a post accompanying the video, Netflix said: “Dear Gavin (and those of you just like him). In 2017, you’ve been asking us the same question repeatedly for 6 months. Now, it’s finally happening. FRIENDS (TV Show). All 10 seasons. Now streaming. Your new year just got a lot happier.”

(Screengrab: Facebook/Netflix)

Fans of Friends raved about the news online, with many praising Gavin and some even calling him a hero.

Friends, which first aired in September 1994, is a TV show about how six young people from New York – on their own and struggling to survive in the real world – find the companionship, comfort and support they get from each other to be the perfect antidote to the pressures of life.

The show is credited with having launched the careers of Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer.

Source link

Singapore welcomes 4 babies at midnight in the New Year

0

SINGAPORE: Baby Nas Muhammad Niklas was due to be born in three weeks. 

But the family’s third child will now share the same birthday as his eldest brother after he was delivered at Raffles Hospital at the stroke of midnight on Monday (Jan 1). 

Baby Niklas was one of four babies born in Singapore at the start of 2018. 

Another boy was delivered at Thomson Medical Centre, and two girls were born at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital and Mount Alvernia Hospital. 

Baby Niklas’ parents Nas Muhammad Nasta’in and Mdm Norfarizah told Channel NewsAsia that their eldest child, who was born in 2013, was also a New Years’ Day baby. 

The family, who will be marking the occasion with a celebratory dinner, was awarded a Pigeon hamper by Raffles Hospital.  

Meanwhile at Thomson Medical Centre, first-time father Koh Lam Seng was pleased to welcome his son right after midnight. 

Koh Lam Seng with his newborn son. (Photo: Junn Loh) 

He told Channel NewsAsia that the delivery was “new and frantic” for both him and his wife, but he was happy that their son had arrived safe and sound. 

“I’m quite happy with the way things turned out. So I just hope that the baby will continue to be healthy and that’s what we want,” said Mr Koh. 

Meanwhile at Mount Alvernia Hospital, baby Abbie Wong was delivered after 14 hours of labour by her mother. 

Baby Abbie How and her parents Lionel How and Justin Zheng. (Photo: Mount Alvernia Hospital) 

Abbie’s parents Lionel How and Justin Zheng were at home on the morning of New Years’ Eve when Justin started bleeding and having slight contractions. 

“That’s when we decided to come to the hospital. Abbie’s estimated due date was Jan 14,” said Justin. 

Meanwhile, Lionel said that they were “very lucky” to have Abbie arriving exactly at midnight as they knew natural birth would take some time. 

Both parents have wished Abbie health, happiness and prosperity.  

KKH officials with Mrs Ng Jit Wen and her newborn baby. (Photo: KKH) 

The fourth baby, a girl, was born at 12.08am at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital by mother Mrs Ng Jit Wen.  

Source link