Home Blog Page 3660

Indonesia fails to give information to S'pore on companies suspected of causing haze

0

SINGAPORE – Singapore appealed to Indonesia on Wednesday for information on companies suspected of causing cross-border pollution, saying stopping smoke from fires set by plantation firms was not an issue of “sovereignty”.

Fires in Indonesia, often set in the dry season by companies clearing land for plantations, causes an annual “haze” crisis over large parts of the region. Indonesia has often promised action but the problem persists.

Singapore passed a cross-border haze act in 2014, making those who cause haze both criminally and civilly liable, but it has been having trouble getting information.

“Singapore has repeatedly asked for the information on companies suspected of illegal burning in Indonesia from the relevant Indonesian authorities. We have yet to receive any information,” Singapore’s ministry of environment and water resources said in a statement.

Indonesia’s environment and forestry minister Siti Nurbaya Bakar said this week Singapore could not “tread on the realm of law that was under Indonesia”, and Singapore “did not respect Indonesia”, media reported.

Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla was also quoted as saying that Indonesia would not allow Singapore to prosecute its citizens over forest fires that blanketed the region in toxic smoke.

Singapore said its law complied with international law to “deter and prosecute entities that are responsible for transboundary haze pollution in Singapore, whether Singaporean or foreign, as well as persons holding positions of responsibility in these entities”.

“It is not directed at any individual nor company based on nationality. This is therefore not an issue of sovereignty or national dignity,” the ministry said.

Singapore’s National Environment Agency had summoned the director of Indonesian company suspected of pollution but he failed to turn up for an interview.

Last month, the agency got a court warrant to secure his attendance when he next enters Singapore.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 16, 2016 – 11:01
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Indonesia fails to give information to S'pore on companies suspected of causing haze despite repeated requests
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Manhunt Singapore unveils 20 finalists

0

SINGAPORE – The 20 finalists of Manhunt Singapore were introduced on Wednesday (June 15), and some of them showcased their talents at a media event. Need we say…

Source link

Key Power Warehouse Sale up to 80% off from 17 – 19 Jun 2016

0

[JUST IN] Key Power warehouse sale up to 80% off (starts tomorrow, 17 – 19 Jun)

Key Power Warehouse Sale up to 80% off from 17 – 19 Jun 2016

Key Power International will be having a Warehouse Sale from 17 June to 19 June 2016. Enjoy up to 80% off on compression gears, apparels, shoes and accessories from sporting brands

Source

AList SG

0

AList SG

[COMING SOON] “Any classical music lover owes it to himself to hear Anderson & Roe Piano Duo.” American Record Guide. And now you can! Watch the endearing and dynamic piano duo Greg Anderson and Elizabeth Joy Roe, fashion an entirely new concert experience with fresh repertoire and familiar favourites at the Esplanade, 16 June 2016! Click below for deets!

Proudly brought to you by Crescendo Productions LLP

Source

SingPost announces new code of conduct for directors

0

The announcement comes after the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority said it started investigations into SingPost over possible breaches of the Companies Act.

Source link

SingPost dissolves exco, seeks replacements

0

SINGAPORE – Singapore Post (SingPost) said on Thursday (June 16) its executive committee has been dissolved and is looking for replacements.
With the exco – which assisted the board in overseeing management of the business – dissolved, its function has…

Source link

South Korea festivals go extra mile to attract repeat visitors

0

SEOUL – SOUTH Korea’s festivals have evolved in both variety and scale over the years, drawing tourists and expats to join in the fun.

According to data released by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, the number of tourists revisiting South Korea jumped to 46.1 per cent last year, compared with 34.9 per cent in 2014.

The Seoul Tourism Association even recently launched mobile education centres for tour operators and workers in such fields.

These are customised service vehicles that visit tourist hot spots, such as festivals, to educate and provide aid.

The service was launched last week at Dongdaemun Complex – one of Seoul’s busiest tourist hubs.

A growing number of festivals are also establishing additional online platforms in English and other languages so foreigners have better access to information, a complaint that was raised in previous years.

The official website for the Boryeong Mud Festival – one of the quirkiest July festivals, which takes place by the mud flats on the west coast – is available in four languages.

As is the case across the globe, music forms a central part of local festivals, and the Seoul Jazz Festival is the songbird that signals the start of the summer festival relay.

This year’s event made the most of various endorsements – including food trucks with quality food and a colossal pyramid-shaped event stage at the heart of the festival.

The diverse line-up was also met with much fanfare, with American jazz guitarist Pat Metheny, Esperanza Spalding, DJ Mark Ronson, and Damien Rice featuring.

Among the party-goers was Zeke Jones, an expat from the United States in his early 20s, who attended the festival with three other friends, also expats.

“There was a separate booking line for foreigners so we didn’t go through any trouble buying the tickets,” he said.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 16, 2016 – 09:14
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

New cooking school offers taste of F&B trade

0

AFTER working in the IT industry for 30 years, 66-year-old Shum San Wah decided on a late-career switch to cooking instead.

He now plies his new trade in several restaurants in Resorts World Singapore, and is one of the first aspiring chefs to benefit from the culinary programmes offered at Nanyang Polytechnic’s new Asian Culinary Institute (ACI) in Paya Lebar.

Accredited by the Workforce Development Agency (WDA), the cooking school, officially launched yesterday, provides tailored courses for those interested in getting a taste of the food and beverage (F&B) services industry.

Set up in April 2015, the first culinary institute dedicated to Asian cuisine in Singapore offers programmes pitched at varying levels of experience and aptitudes, from one-day workshops for learning the recipes of salted egg doughnuts to full specialist diplomas.

“Given our reputation as one of Asia Pacific’s gourmet capitals, it is crucial we adopt measures to attract, develop and retain talent within the industry,” said guest of honour Low Yen Ling, Parliamentary Secretary for the ministries of Education and Trade and Industry.

The new training school marks the latest effort to breathe new life into an ailing industry plagued by a shortage of local talent and a rapidly ageing workforce.

ACI is collaborating with 11 F&B and hospitality organisations – including Pan Pacific Hotel and Neo Group – to provide new entrants with work attachment opportunities and existing staff with skills upgrading courses.

In addition, it has roped in celebrity chefs such as Eric Teo, president mentor at Singapore Chefs’ Association, who will trade their spatulas for chalkboards to mentor an estimated 24 to 48 polytechnic and ITE fresh graduates each year.

“The on-the-job training exposes them to the language used in the kitchen so that when they start work, they will already know what is expected of them,” said Mr Teo.

Also at the event yesterday was Kenji Shinoda, Ambassador of Japan to Singapore, who lauded a memorandum of understanding between ACI and Japan Food Town Development to teach Japanese cuisine at ACI.

He said to cheers: “I’m proud that Japanese cuisine is so popular here in Singapore. Let us take it to the next level.”

clementy@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 16, 2016 – 09:02
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Chee, Murali spend close to $170k on by-election

0

THE two candidates who contested the May 7 Bukit Batok by-election spent about $169,290 altogether on election expenses, with Singapore Democratic Party chief Chee Soon Juan spending more than the winning candidate Murali Pillai from the People’s Action Party.

Dr Chee spent about $3.39 per voter while Mr Murali spent about $3.19 per voter.

In all, Dr Chee spent $87,200.42, of which the bulk – at least $38,279.93 – went to printing and distributing campaign materials such as posters and newsletters.

Another of his big ticket items was the cost of holding four rallies. It came up to at least $35,226.60.

Mr Murali’s bills totalled $82,091.

Like Dr Chee, his rally logistics cost the most, totalling $28,590, while his expenses on campaign materials added up to $27,331.42.

Both candidates’ bills were within the $102,908 legal limit, or $4 for each of the 25,747 registered Bukit Batok voters.

The law requires candidates to submit their election expenses to the Elections Department after the polls.

Besides election expenses, the candidates also had to declare the donations they received.

Mr Pillai said he received $82,091 from the PAP headquarters, a sum that covered all his election expenses.

Dr Chee said he did not receive any donations.


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Thursday, June 16, 2016 – 08:45
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

SIA to launch non-stop Singapore-San Francisco flight in October

0

This is SIA’s first non-stop flight to the United States since 2013, when the airline cancelled its non-stop service from Singapore to Los Angeles and New York.

Source link