Home Blog Page 3635

Under-fire Lukaku redeems himself

0

Belgium 3

Rep of Ireland 0

Finally, Europe’s top-ranked team flexed their muscles.

With a 3-0 win over the Republic of Ireland at the Matmut Atlantique tonight, Belgium announced their title intent.

They…

Source link

Singapore’s politics must remain above race and religion: Shanmugam

0

Home Affairs and Law Minister Shanmugam, who was speaking on the sidelines of an iftar, or breaking of fast session on Saturday, said Muslims in places like Europe and the United States have been negatively characterised for the sake of political gains.

Source link

Founder of pro-PAP Facebook page under investigation for Cooling-Off Day breaches

0

Jason Chua Chin Seng, the founder of the ‘Fabrications About The PAP’ Facebook page, is the third person to be investigated for allegedly violating the Parliamentary Elections Act.

Source link

'Gigantic hole' in my heart that will never go away, says Christina Grimmie's dad

0

NEW JERSEY – The father of late The Voice singer Christina Grimmie said he has a “gigantic hole” in his heart that will never go away after his daughter’s brutal murder.

Speaking at a public memorial service on Friday (June 17), a day after the 22-year-old was buried in her hometown in New Jersey, Mr Bud Grimmie said he knows he will see his daughter again in heaven.

“She is way better off now. She is not going to be hurt anymore … (and) God’s plan is better than my plan,” he was quoted as saying by the Courier-Post.

Kevin James Loibl, 27, shot and fatally wounded Christina at a concert in Orlando on June 10, where she had performed with the group Before You Exit.

She was rushed to a hospital, but died of her wounds. Liobl shot and killed himself after being tackled by Grimmie’s 23-year-old brother, Marcus.

Her cancer-stricken mother, Tina, broke down in tears at the memorial at the Fellowship Alliance Chapel in Medford, New Jersey, where thousands from across the country had gathered to pay their respects.

She said: “I tell you I am weak … and declare my dependence on Jesus Christ.”

A large picture of Christina was displayed on an easel in the church and her music was playing as people filed past on Friday.

Marcus Grimmie spoke briefly at the service.

“When the gunman came, her arms were open to him,” he said. “Her arms were open all the time. All I’m going to say is thank God for the mark she left on this world. It’s more and more clear to me now than ever before.”

On Monday, Marcus said in a Facebook post that he was “blown away” after learning that Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine “personally called my mother and said he will pay for the funeral and her plane flight”.

on Facebook

I first heard from my sisters manager, Brian Teefey, that he will be making a gofundme to help our family move out of…

Posted by Marcus Grimmie on Sunday, 12 June 2016

Levine had previously tweeted that he and his wife Behati Prinsloo were “absolutely devastated and heartbroken” by Christina’s death.

on Twitter

Quoting a source, People magazine described the Thursday funeral as a private gathering for family and close friends,

“Christina was truly a light in this world,” the obituary notice read. “Anyone who met her was blessed by knowing her. Heaven has certainly gained an angel for their choir.”

Even before appearing on The Voice singing contest, where she placed third in 2014, Christina had a large following on her YouTube channel, zeldaxlove64.


This article was first published on June 18, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 09:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Goodwood Park Hotel resumes sales of its durian pastries

0

SINGAPORE – Less than two weeks after the suspension of the licence for its bakery kitchen was lifted, Goodwood Park Hotel has resumed sales of its durian pastries.

The hotel is selling seven types durian confections, including D24 Durian Crepe (from $10 per piece) and D24 Durian Puff (from $9 for two pieces), and the Mao Shan Wang Mousse Cake ($62 for 500g) which was introduced this year.

In April 2016, the licence of the hotel’s bakery was suspended for about a month, after at least 76 people came down with food poisoning. Joint investigations conducted by the Ministry of Health, National Environment Agency (NEA) and Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore concluded that the cases were linked to the consumption of durian pastries sold by the hotel between March 15 and April 16.

The cause of the food poisoning was traced to poor hygiene practices by kitchen staff. According to a statement on the hotel’s Facebook account, one part-time and one trainee food handler in the durian pastry kitchen, who tested positive for Norovirus, were suspended from handling food once the laboratory results were released.

The Deli reopened on May 27, and sales of its durian confections resumed on May 30.

The hotel will be organising a donation drive with proceeds from its Durian Fiesta channelled to a good cause from June 20 to 26.

All sales during the six days from the hotel’s annual durian festival at its bakery, The Deli, will be donated to the Assisi Hospice, which takes care of adults and children with life-limiting illnesses.

Ms Linda Wee, the hotel’s general manager, says: “We are very thankful to our guests for their support of the Durian Fiesta since its beginning 33 years ago, and would like to express our gratitude with a small gesture on our part to give back.

“Goodwood Park Hotel has a long philanthropic history including donations made regularly during Christmas to The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund and we are committed to carrying on this tradition.”

Since the bakery kitchen resumed operations on May 21, the hotel has been taking precautions such as tightening its supervisory regime to ensure that staff practise good food safety and personal hygiene at all times, and do not engage in food handling or food service if they are ill or do not feel well. A system has also been implemented for the kitchen and food and beverage service teams to declare their health condition daily before they are allowed to start work.

Other measures include sanitising and cleaning all kitchen areas, daily pest control checks and preventive treatments, and conducting food and environmental sampling monthly to ensure a safe food preparation environment.

The NEA has also been conducting frequent checks of the hotel’s premises, and has found no further issues.

The durian pastries are available at The Deli in Goodwood Park Hotel till July 17. The hotel will set up a pop-up booth selling durian pastries at Junction 8 mall from July 4 to 10.


This article was first published on June 17, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 22:06
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

PM Lee Hsien Loong shares how he found the Merlion in Japan and other holiday photos

0

SINGAPORE – Used to meeting Singaporeans on his travels, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong this week found the Merlion during his holiday in Japan.

In a Facebook post on Saturday (June 18) morning, PM Lee shared how he came across Singapore’s tourism icon at a kimono shop in Karuizawa, a resort town near Nagano.

While he frequently met Singaporeans on vacation across the world, PM Lee said he seldom encountered a Merlion.

on Facebook

Daruma dolls at the Daruma Dera Temple in Takasaki. When a Japanese makes a wish, he paints the left eye of the doll….

Posted by Lee Hsien Loong on Friday, 17 June 2016

The shop owner told him that he had purchased the shoulder-height statue some 35 years ago after enjoying a visit to Singapore.

“The shop has since passed to his descendants. The business has been in the family for 18 generations (the signboard says 17, because it has not been updated)!,” PM Lee wrote.

He also shared more scenic shots of Japan’s countryside, including sunset at Lake Shiozawa in Karuizawa and Daruma dolls at the Daruma Dera temple in Takasaki.

A photo of an empty shell of a cicada, left behind after it moulted, was “a reminder of the constantly changing nature of life”, wrote PM Lee in his post.

While he enjoyed the break, PM Lee said he was looking forward to returning home on Saturday night.

He said: “Have been keeping tabs on events happening at home and abroad. We must continue to look out for one another and stay safe. Back to work on Monday.”

Read also: PM Lee and wife on vacation in Seoul, share rare glimpse of their private lives


This article was first published on June 18, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 09:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
PM Lee shares how he found the Merlion in Japan and other holiday photos
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

National Gallery Singapore welcomes one millionth visitor

0

The National Gallery Singapore received its one millionth visitor on Jun 18, seven months after its official opening in November.

Source link

4,000 Hong Kong protesters voice against China on bookseller detentions

0

HONG KONG – Over 4,000 people marched in Hong Kong on Saturday to protest against China’s detention of five booksellers whose shop published gossipy books about Chinese leaders, including President Xi Jinping.

The demonstration followed a march by 100 activists to China’s liaison office on Friday to protest against what they called the “cross-border abductions”. They said one bookseller was abducted to China from Hong Kong and another from Thailand.

The protesters’ account contradicts official statements that China’s law enforcement officials had done nothing illegal. The other booksellers were detained while in mainland China.

The arrest of the five men has prompted fears Beijing may be eroding the “one country, two systems” formula under which Hong Kong has been governed as a special administrative region since its return to China from British rule in 1997.

The protesters chanted “protect freedom of the press, freedom of publishing and freedom of speech” as they marched from the Causeway Bay Books shop to Beijing’s liaison office and demanded the release of Gui Minhai, a Swedish passport holder who is the only one of the five still in detention in China.

One freed bookseller, Lam Wing-kee, told reporters on Thursday he had been arrested in China and detained for more than eight months but his colleague Lee Bo, a British national, was abducted from Hong Kong by mainland Chinese authorities.

“Protesters admire how Lam Wing-kee, as an ordinary citizen, fought against the authority and exposed its lies. Many people told me they’re worried about the safety of Lam,” said Albert Ho, legislator of the Democratic Party, who organised the march.

Alvin Yeung, a legislator of the pro-democracy Civic Party, said the arrests challenged the “one country, two systems” rule, which guaranteed separate laws and freedoms in the former British colony not granted elsewhere in China for 50 years. “We did not see any commitment from the central (Beijing) government. We have seen absolutely nothing done by the Hong Kong government to ensure the safety of these booksellers,” he said.

Hong Kong Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury KC Chan told a radio program he did not think the incident would hurt investor confidence in the city.

All five men who went missing last year and later appeared in mainland Chinese custody worked at Causeway Bay Books.

Meanwhile, booksellers Lam and Lee have contradicted each other’s accounts of how Lee, the British national, had been arrested.

Lee said on Saturday he had never spoken to Lam about how he went to China and disputed other details Lam had given of his detention. “Only Lee Bo can speak for himself,” Lee said. Responding to that, Lam said: “Even though Lee Bo is in Hong Kong, he has lost his freedom due to fear.”

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 20:55
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 378 735
Hermes ID String: 
AS0618-HKPROTEST
Hermes Author: 
SSANDREA
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

S’pore must prevent political debate going along racial, religious lines: Shanmugam

0

SINGAPORE – Sweeping, incendiary statements by a presidential candidate in the United States and other happenings there and in Europe show how quickly political debate can go along racial and religious lines, said Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam on…

Source link

'Rebel' China village chief arrested for corruption

0

Beijing – The chief of a village that became a symbol of resistance against corruption has been arrested for allegedly accepting bribes, Chinese authorities said Saturday, as a large police operation moved in to head off dissent.

Lin Zulian was elected head of the Wukan village committee in 2012, after protests over land grabs led to rare concessions from the Communist Party and the ousting of local leaders.

But the regional office for public security said Saturday he had “used his power to elicit bribes” in a social media post.

A resident told AFP that a large number of police were present in the village Saturday, with vehicles parked along the streets and military police posted outside the local station.

“Lin was arrested because he was planning on protesting on Sunday with villagers from the county,” she said.

She said corruption accusations were “just an excuse to arrest him”.

“Since 2012 the government has promised to resolve the land problem but nothing has been done,” she added.

Aware that the arrest could spark further protests, the public security office called for villagers to “cooperate with judicial authorities and maintain hard-won social stability”.

“Do not let a law-breaking minority encourage you to commit radical acts,” it warned.

Dozens of police cars arrived on Friday night to arrest Lin, China’s respected Caixin magazine quoted villagers as saying.

Residents of the 13,000-strong fishing village in southern Guangdong province began protesting in 2011 in what was then seen as just another bout of social unrest in China, where land grabs have become a major source of discontent.

But when one of the protest leaders died in police custody, villagers took their demonstration a step further, barricading roads leading into Wukan and facing off with security forces for more than a week.

Then, unexpectedly, Communist Party authorities backed down and promised rare concessions, including pledges to investigate the land dispute and allow village polls to be held in an open manner – a first in Wukan.

Lin – who also led the protests and was provisionally appointed committee head after the incumbent was thrown out – was one of the successful contenders.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 18, 2016 – 20:53
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 378 719
Hermes ID String: 
AS0618-LINZULIAN
Hermes Author: 
SSANDREA
Story Type: 
Others

Source link