Home Blog Page 3633

'Drunk' man arrested for climbing onto roof at Zouk

0

SINGAPORE – A man who appeared to be drunk tried to climb onto the roof of nightclub Zouk early this morning (June 18), The Straits Times reported.

The 23-year-old was subsequently arrested for criminal trespass.

Police were alerted to the incident at Jiak Kim Street at around 3.45am. The Singapore Civil Defence Force was also deployed, and dispatched a fire engine, a red rhino, three support vehicles, an ambulance and a lifepak which was not used.

Police investigations are ongoing.

huizhen@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 12:21
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

China offers free antiviral therapy for HIV/AIDS

0

China is bringing free antiviral therapy to all citizens living with HIV/AIDS, the top health authority said.

Antiviral treatment should be recommended for all those with HIV/AIDS under China’s newly revised guidelines, said an online notice issued by the National Health and Family Planning Commission on Wednesday.

But it has to be on a voluntary basis to make sure they are fully prepared for a treatment that is usually lifelong, it said.

“Treatment facilities must not force people to receive the therapy,” it said.

Wu Hao, director of the Department of Infectious Diseases at You An Hospital in Beijing, one of the largest HIV/AIDS treatment centers nationwide, welcomed the initiative.

“It helps with better treatment outcomes for the sufferer and for public health as well.”

The strategy of giving early treatment for all is in line with WHO guidelines issued last year, he added.

According to Wu, the therapy lowers the viral load and thus helps prevent further HIV transmission.

Previously, antiviral therapy was offered only to those who had developed a low level of immunity, which can lead to life-threatening opportunistic infections like pneumonia and encephalitis

He said early treatment improves outcomes and helps prolong life spans, “even similar to that of healthy people”.

Bao Yugang, deputy Asia bureau chief of United States-based AIDS Healthcare Foundation, one of the largest NGOs for AIDS treatment and care in the world, said the US had implemented the early treatment strategy about two years ago.

But he stressed good drug compliance is important to prevent drug resistance.

“Informed consent therefore is required to help sufferers prepare for the lifelong therapy,” Wu said.

Xiao Bing, a sophomore at a university in Wuhan, Hubei province, expressed concerns over side effects from the drugs.

He tested positive for HIV in May.

Wu, in response, said drugs have improved a lot and potential side effects were quite limited, like skin rashes.

China has registered more than 577,000 people living with HIV/AIDS, accounting for 68 per cent of the estimated number of infected people, according to the National Center for AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Disease Control and Prevention.

Nearly 390,000 are receiving treatment.

In 2015, more than 100,000 were given the treatment and the number is expected to double this year, Wu said.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 11:35
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Indonesia rebuffs Singapore on haze again

0

Indonesia has rejected a request by the Singaporean government for access to information on companies suspected of causing annual haze and has called on the city state to deal with the issue under the ASEAN Agreement on Transboundary Haze Pollution (AATHP).

The Indonesian Foreign Ministry maintained that the agreement, signed in 2002 and ratified by all ASEAN countries by 2014, was the most effective tool to tackle the haze issue, which the ASEAN expected to be solved by 2020.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Arrmanatha Nasir said the agreement provided a platform for devising collective efforts to prevent, monitor and mitigate transboundary haze, set up region-wide quick response measures and establish legal means of cooperation.

“We encourage all ASEAN members to use this mechanism to address the issue of transboundary haze in our region,” he said.

Arrmanatha added that at the national level, the Indonesian government had made progress in mitigating the haze problem, which occurs in Sumatra, Kalimantan and some other parts of the country every year.

The ministry’s spokesman was responding to Singapore’s bid to obtain information on companies suspected of illegal burning in Indonesia.

Earlier, Singapore’s Ministry of Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) had issued a statement demanding prosecution of companies linked to last year’s fires, regardless of their origin.

The MEWR said the companies’ blatant disregard for the environmental and social consequences of the haze, which affected millions of people in the region, should not go unchecked.

It said actions under Singapore’s Transboundary Haze Pollution Act (THPA) were aimed at deterring and prosecuting entities responsible for transboundary haze pollution.

“Indonesia should welcome this additional tool to curtail irresponsible activities that have affected the health, social and economic well-being of Indonesians and people in the region,” an MEWR spokesperson said.

The law allows regulators to sue individuals or companies in neighbouring countries that cause severe air pollution in Singapore through agricultural slash-and-burn practices.

It was first proposed in 2013 after a huge rise in the number of forest fires in the neighbouring Indonesian province of Riau caused thick smoke that blanketed Singapore in a choking haze.

Previously, Indonesia raised concerns that the THPA would disregard individuals’ rights to legal and consular assistance abroad, after procedures pursued by Singapore involving an unnamed Indonesian private executive went awry.

Last month, Singapore’s National Environment Agency (NEA) asked a local court to issue an arrest warrant against the director of an Indonesian company who had failed to turn up for questioning with authorities in Singapore, an act that evoked a strong reaction from Jakarta.

The businessperson, who has since left the country, may be detained “for the purpose of investigations” if they try to reenter the country, an NEA spokesman said.

The NEA’s actions are part of a previous attempt to glean information on six Indonesian private firms’ environmental responsibilities with regard to their respective land concessions.

Environment and Forestry Minister Siti Nurbaya Bakar has lashed out at Singapore, saying the country could not “tread on the realm of law that was under Indonesia” and that Singapore “did not respect Indonesia”.

Separately, Indonesian Ambassador to Singapore Ngurah Swajaya said Indonesia was ready to work with Singapore to prevent future forest and peatland fires, but he also wanted the Singaporean government to acknowledge what local authorities in the country had already achieved.

Smoke from fires last year sent air pollution to record levels, resulting in at least 19 deaths from haze-related illnesses and more than half a million Indonesians suffering from respiratory diseases.

The World Bank estimates that the fires and haze caused at least US$16 billion (S$21.6 billion) in economic losses to Indonesia alone.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 11:25
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Indonesia rebuffs Singapore on haze again
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Football: Ronaldo becomes a target after missing penalty

0

PARIS – There was relief for Austria and joy for those who like to see superstars cut down to size after Cristiano Ronaldo missed a penalty and a chance to go into the European Championship record books on Saturday.

Portugal won a spot kick in the 79th minute of their Group F match against Austria.

Goalkeeper Robert Almer dived the wrong way but Ronaldo crashed his shot against the post.

The 31-year-old holder of multiple scoring records looked to the heavens in disbelief.

He just needs one goal in the tournament to become the first player to score at four European Championship finals.

Minutes later Ronaldo got the ball in the net but was offside.

He also had a golden chance in the first half but put his header too close to Almer.

The game ended goalless, Austrian fans were chanting “Messi, Messi” and Ronaldo was already the talk of the Twittersphere when he started to walk off clearly frustrated.

But the night of surprises was still not over.

One man managed to get past the Parc des Princes security and ran up to the Portuguese star.

Ronaldo held back his disappointment and waited while the spectator his telephone to take a selfie.

Security guards also stood and watched.

Once the picture was taken however, the spectator was taken away, crying with happiness.

Portugal’s coach Fernando Santos would not say whether Ronaldo was also in tears in the dressing room.

Asked how the Portugal captain was feeling, Santos diplomatically responded: “I prefer not to talk about this subject. I won’t talk about individual players.”

Austria coach Marcel Koller was relieved and delighted.

The miss meant his side keep alive their slender hopes of reaching the last 16.

“Ronaldo made chances. You have to be 100 percent against a player like him with the creativity that we all know he has,” declared Koller.

“Fortunately he didn’t manage to score,” he added. “If the ball had gone in we would have been able to pack our bags for Austria.”

Analysis of Ronaldo’s record was intense.

The striker has now missed 19 out of 110 career penalties, including in shootouts, according to renowned Spanish football statistician Mr Chip.

He pointed out however that Argentine rival Lionel Messi has missed the same number from 87 penalties taken.

Other observers twisted the knife a little. Former England captain Gary Lineker said on Twitter: “Ronaldo: no goals from 36 free kicks in major tournaments. Bale: 2 goals from 3 free kicks in major tournaments.” Wales forward Gareth Bale has scored two brilliant free kicks at Euro 2016.

Ronaldo got into trouble last week when he said that Iceland, after they doggedly held Portugal to a 1-1 draw, had a “small mentality” because of their defensive tactics.

This time he did get a lot of praise on social media for patiently waiting with the fan to take the selfie.

British sports journalist Ewan Murray said on Twitter: “So Ronaldo is arrogant, says the odd daft thing… he is also a key reason millions of kids the world over are attracted to football.”

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 10:55
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Football: Messi matches record as Argentina win Copa

0

Lionel Messi became his country’s equal all-time leading goalscorer as Argentina romped to a 4-1 win over Venezuela in a Copa America quarter-final in Foxborough, Massachusetts on Saturday.

A Messi goal in the 60th minute took his career tally for Argentina to 54 goals, matching the record held by Gabriel Batistuta.

Messi’s strike complemented two early goals by Gonzalo Higuain, while substitute Erik Lamela completed the rout.

Argentina, who are seeking their first Copa triumph since 1993, were the better side throughout but Venezuela made their life easier with some slack defending and a horrific penalty miss by Luis Manuel Seijas.

The result means the 14-time champion will face host nation the United States in next Tuesday’s semi-final in Houston.

“It was an important game and it feels good,” Higuain said afterwards.

“Until Tuesday is not a lot of time but we will turn our head to that. Let’s see if we can win.”

Argentina have lost just once to Venezuela in 20 matches and they got off to the perfect start after just seven minutes when Higuain dived to turn a delicate cross from Messi past goalkeeper Dani Hernandez.

The in-form Napoli striker made it two 20 minutes later when he latched on to a slack back pass from Arquimedes Figuera to round the goalkeeper and slot the ball into the empty net.

The goals roused the underdogs into action and Salomon Rondon twice came close, once bringing an excellent save out of Sergio Romero and then seeing his header crash off the post.

Venezuela should have pulled a goal back two minutes from half time after Romero brought down Josef Martinez in the box.

However, the Manchester United goalkeeper redeemed himself when he stood firm and Seijas’ carelessly dinked penalty sailed right into his arms.

Messi, who started for the first time in the tournament after three substitute appearances, put Argentina 3-0 ahead when he worked a lovely one-two with Nicolas Gaitan and then poked the ball under Hernandez with his left foot.

Venezuela were not out of it, though, and Rondon got the lightest of touches on a cross to head home and make it 3-1 after 70 minutes.

However, their hope was short lived as Argentina cancelled it out just seconds later when Lamela, who had been on the field only four minutes, shot home from 12 yards to make it 4-1.

The result firmly establishes Argentina as the favourites to lift their 15th Copa America and equal the number held by Uruguay.

The other semi-final will be between Colombia, who beat Peru on Friday night, and either the winner of Saturday night’s Mexico-Chile tie.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 10:48
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Founder of pro-PAP Facebook page under investigation over by-election ad breaches

0

SINGAPORE – The founder of pro-government Facebook page Fabrications About The PAP is under investigations for allegedly violating a ban on election advertising during the Bukit Batok by-election.

Jason Chua is the third person to be investigated over this matter, Channel NewsAsia reported.

Mr Chua has shared details of the investigation process on Fabrications About The PAP and on his personal Facebook account.

on Facebook

Ride of a lifetime. I got send to home by police car. Mata asked me is it my first experience…. I replied if u give me…

Posted by Fabrications About The PAP on Saturday, 18 June 2016

He said that the interview at the Police Cantonment Complex lasted about three hours, and was followed by a two-hour “raid” at his and his father’s homes. His electronic devices – his mobile phone, Apple iPad tablet and two laptops – were also seized.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1212728525434428&set=a.214696541904303.56400.100000918756721

Augustine Lee, the organising secretary of the opposition People’s Power Party, had made a police report on Monday (June 13) against Fabrications About The PAP, accusing the page of publishing two Facebook posts on the Polling Day of the Bukit Batok by-election.

Mr Lee claims that one post asked people to vote for the People’s Action Party (PAP) candidate Murali Pillai, and the other post criticised his opponent, Singapore Democratic Party chief Chee Soon Juan.

Election advertising is prohibited on Cooling-Off Day and Polling Day.

Under the Parliamentary Elections Act, a person found guilty posting election advertising on those days may be fined up to $1,000, jailed for up to 12 months, or both.

huizhen@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, June 19, 2016 – 09:58
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Garuda Indonesia relaunches Medan-Singapore route

0

The relaunch comes 14 years after Garuda cancelled its Medan-Singapore service in 2002 due to low public interest. 

Source link

Best friends with the best dad

0

She has no problem being called a daddy’s girl.

Chen Yi Xin, 16, says: “Everything he has done for me is what a best father would do.

“Even when he doesn’t understand my problems, he tries his best to help me by giving…

Source link

At 98, he still turns up for work every day

0

Every day, he wakes up at 5.30am and goes for a brisk walk outside his bungalow before breakfast.

As soon as he steps into his office in Tras Street, he turns on his iPad and computer to monitor the stock market.

But…

Source link

Loew: we can score goals

0

They fired blanks against Poland in a goalless draw on Thursday but Germany coach Joachim Loew is not pressing the panic button on his team’s lack of firepower.

Loew is confident the world champions will return to scoring…

Source link