Former editor of TRS expected to plead guilty
Yang Kaiheng, the former editor of now-defunct sociopolitical site The Real Singapore (TRS), is expected to plead guilty to sedition charges on Friday after initially contesting his charges. The 27-year-old is…
Source link
TODAY’s brief, Friday, June 24
Timberland Up To 60% Off Sale at Isetan Scotts from 24 – 30 Jun 2016
Timberland up to 60% off sale at Shaw House Isetan Scotts (24 – 30 Jun)
Timberland Up To 60% Off Sale at Isetan Scotts from 24 – 30 Jun 2016
Timberland will be having a sale at Isetan Scotts at Shaw House from 24 June to 30 Jun 2016. Enjoy up to 60% off men’s and women’s apparel and footwear
Couple found guilty of kicking, slapping 2-year-old, and causing his death
SINGAPORE – Over five weeks, she and her boyfriend rained blows on her two-year-old son, often egging each other on as they slapped him or stamped on his body – and on at least two occasion, forced dried chilli down the toddler’s throat.
And on the morning of…
Source link
Town councils step up lift maintenance checks ahead of new safety measures
Several town councils are carrying out more checks on the quality of maintenance work, as well as educating residents on how to prevent lift malfunctions.
Source link
Joseph Schooling crowned Sportsman of the Year for third time
Shayna Ng was named Sportswoman of the year, while Joey Yeo and Quah Zheng Wen were awarded the titles of Sportsgirl and Sportsboy of the Year respectively at the Singapore Sports Awards 2016.
Source link
Photos depicting Kurdish female soldiers removed from Iranian photographer's exhibition at MDA's request
SINGAPORE – When Iranian photographer Newsha Tavakolian’s exhibition I Know Why The Rebel Sings opened on June 22, black cards took the place of 15 photographs depicting Kurdish female soldiers who had joined the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
The Media Development Authority (MDA) had asked that these photographs be removed before a licence could be given for the exhibition, which is part of the Singapore International Festival of Arts’ pre-festival programme, The O.P.E.N.
Responding to queries from The Straits Times, MDA said the festival team had submitted about 150 of Newsha’s photos for the exhibition.
“These included photographs of members from a terrorist-linked organisation, who had committed acts of violence to further their cause, for example suicide bombing.”
MDA asked that these photographs be removed from the show. “Singapore takes a firm stand against extremism, and will not allow photographs that undermine public order, national security and/or stability to be displayed,” it said.
It did not name the organisation, but the women in the photographs removed from the exhibition are part of the YPJ, an all-woman offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, which seeks to establish an independent Kurdish state in southeast Turkey.
The party has carried out attacks on Turkey and the Turkish government, along with a number of Western countries, consider it a terrorist organisation.
Festival director Ong Keng Sen, however, called the decision a “puzzling” one, as the missing photographs were first published in an April 2015 issue of Time magazine, in a photo essay titled Meet The Women Taking The Battle To ISIS.
He told The Straits Times on June 22 that MDA did not explain why these photos had to be pulled.
Asked about MDA’s response, he said: “In the context of the photos, the Kurds are fighting ISIS. So the question of who is a terrorist has to be examined, rather than just taking a blanket perspective.”
To questions about the photos being published last year in Time magazine, MDA said it does not pre-vet publications that are sold in Singapore.
“The importation and distribution of publications is largely self-regulated. MDA will review the contents of the said issue of Time magazine,” it said.
Newsha’s exhibition, which runs at TheatreWorks’ space at 72-13 Mohamed Sultan Road till July 9, offers a wide-ranging look at her work, from war reportage to intimate, artistic portraits of the people of Iran.
The award-winning photographer who last year became a nominee member of Magnum Photos, could not be reached for comment as she is travelling. She will be here for a talk on her work on June 29.
Ong said the festival team had submitted Newsha’s photos to the MDA for approval at the end of April. MDA guidelines state that materials for an event must be submitted in full at least two months before the start of the event.
The festival team was informed on June 19 that 31 photos from the On The War Trail series, one eight in the exhibition, would be disallowed.
Fifteen of the photographs that made the final cut for the exhibition were removed and replaced with black cards.
Ong said: “I felt very strongly that we had to show that some photographs were removed, that some concessions were made.”
Admission to the exhibition is free for those who with an O.P.E.N. pass, which offers admission to all pre-festival programmes for $45. Those without a pass can purchase a single entry ticket at the door for $10.
asyiqins@sph.com.sg

This article was first published on June 23, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

KFC launches meal boxes in India that charge your smartphones while you eat
KFC in India has launched a meal box, that contains not just five food items such as its fried chicken and a burger, but also an in-built power bank to charge mobile phones.
The fast food chain’s limited edition 5-in-1 “Watt A Box” packages were launched in New Delhi and Mumbai in March to let its customers tuck into their meals while charging their smartphones.
The box comes with magnetic flaps and contains the meal as well as power bank integrated on its side.
It also comes with micro-USB and Lightning cables to charge iPhones and Android smartphones, reported tech website BGR India.
The site added that the power bank claimed to have 6,100mAh battery power but did not have enough juice to charge even one phone.
The Times of India reported that the offer is for a “few lucky customers” at select KFC stores in the two cities, and along with it, users can participate in an online contest on KFC India’s Facebook page to win more of such boxes.
“With the launch of Watt a Box, we have gone a step ahead and also introduced an element of utility into the box,” said Lluis Ruiz Ribot, KFC India’s chief marketing officer.
“Each one of us spends a considerable time on our smartphones daily, and the phone battery going dead is almost like a nightmare!”
Quartz India reported that the country is the world’s second-largest smartphone market with 220 million users. It added that Indians spend an average of 169 minutes on their smartphones daily, according ot a July 2015 study.
sujint@sph.com.sg


Domestic helper jailed for pinching and bruising toddler over 10-month period
SINGAPORE – During the times when she was frustrated by her employer’s nine-year-old son, she would take it out on his two-year-old brother by pinching him all over his body.
Fajardo Elizabeth Esquiral’s ill treatment of the toddler went on for 10 months…
Source link
Maid jailed 6 months for ill-treating 2-year-old boy
Fajardo Elizabeth Esquiral admitted she had picked on the toddler because he was only two years old, and unable to understand or verbalise the abuse.
Source link
Couple found guilty of ‘horrific, inhumane’ abuse of 2-year-old boy
Zaidah and Zaini Jamari made little Mohamad Daniel Mohamad Nasser stand with his hands on his head for hours, and forced chilli down his throat.
Source link



