Home Blog Page 3588

78 dead, 500 hurt by storms in China's Jiangsu

0

BEIJING – Hurricane-force winds, freak hailstorms, pounding rain and a tornado killed 78 people in China’s eastern province of Jiangsu on Thursday and injured nearly 500 others, Xinhua reported.

Whole villages were levelled and huge trees felled when winds of up to 125 kilometres (77 miles) per hour struck around Yancheng city, China’s official news agency said.

Some 200 people were left critically injured by the storms and the worst tornado in half a century, which reduced buildings to rubble.

Photos of the scene showed dazed residents near the remains of houses surrounded by tangled telephone wires, splintered wood and toppled poles.

“It was like the end of the world,” said Xie Litian, 62, from Donggou township in Funing County, describing how all the other houses in his neighbourhood had been destroyed.

“I heard the gales and ran upstairs to shut the windows,” he told Xinhua.

“I had hardly reached the top of the stairs when I heard a boom and saw the entire wall with the windows on it torn away.” President Xi Jinping ordered “all-out rescue efforts” after what Xinhua said was one of the worst disasters ever to hit Jiangsu.

Citizens in Yancheng used social media to offer help to those affected, from medical assistance to using heavy lifting equipment for free.

Crane operator Xiang Shanfeng said he had pulled dozens of people from rubble during the day after posting his number on messaging service WeChat.

“The losses were astonishing,” Xinhua quoted him as saying.

Many parts of China have been lashed by torrential rains this week as summer rainstorms have been heavier than usual, causing damage across the country.

Flooding is common during the summer monsoon season in the south of China, but rainfall has been particularly heavy this year.

In the centre of the country, heavy floods have killed 22 people and displaced 197,000, state media said on Monday.

Eight people were trapped in a flooded coal mine in southwest China’s Guizhou province, Xinhua reported.

Direct economic losses from the floods hit nearly 2.7 billion yuan ($410 million), state media said.

Vice premier Wang Yang said days earlier that China faced volatile weather conditions due to the influence of the El Nino weather system.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 08:46
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Taxi firms hit new bump – higher govt fee

0

The embattled taxi industry, which has been reeling from disruptors such as Uber and Grab, is facing another blow – sharply higher government fees.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has told operators that their operating licensing fee will rise from 0.1 per cent of gross revenue to 0.2 per cent this year, and then to 0.3 per cent next year.

This is the first such increase in more than 10 years.

For a mid-size operator such as SMRT, the fee hike translates to more than $1 million in additional costs per year.

Based on its taxi revenue for the past two financial years, its fee would go up from an estimated $1.4 million to $4.2 million next year, assuming revenue remains constant.

Operators contacted were furious but resigned. “What can we do?” the manager of a small firm said. “It’s not as if the rate is negotiable.”

Another said: “That’s a doubling and trebling of fees in just two years. We’re going to appeal. It may be useless but we have to register our protest.”

The LTA was not available for comment but The Straits Times understands that the fee hike has to do with higher costs associated with monitoring taxi service standards.

Currently, private-hire operators such as Uber and Grab do not pay this fee. Their service standards are also not monitored by the LTA.

National Taxi Association executive adviser Ang Hin Kee said operators may pass the cost on to drivers by raising rental fees. “Higher cost may trickle downwards,” he added.

For cabby S.C. Wong, it is already starting to trickle down. Mr Wong, 64, said ComfortDelGro has been trying to persuade him to swop his Hyundai Sonata for a costlier Hyundai i40 cab.

“I refused because it costs 30 per cent more. The market is very bad now,” he said.

“My takings have fallen by 20 per cent to 30 per cent from last year, when Uber and Grab started full swing. My call bookings have dropped too.”

Mr Wong, who has been driving a taxi for 15 years, said the i40’s higher flagdown fare of $3.70 – 50 cents higher than the Sonata’s $3.20 – “cannot cover the $30 increase in rental”.

ComfortDelGro said the higher rental reflects the higher purchase price of the i40.

The i40’s rental is $130 a day while the Sonata’s is as low as $100. This means ComfortDelGro rakes in nearly $88,000 more in rental per cab over its eight-year lifespan.

But Singapore’s biggest cab operator is also trying to woo cabbies who have quit with a two-month 50 per cent rental discount.

Industry players said the percentage of unhired cabs has risen – from single digits before 2013 to more than 10 per cent now for some operators.

christan@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 08:34
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Major Hong Kong blaze claims the life of second fireman

0

HONG KONG – A firefighter died on Thursday after battling a fire in Hong Kong that has lasted for almost three days, the second killed by the rare large blaze in the southern Chinese city.

The fire broke out at a self-storage unit in a multi-storey industrial building in the East Kowloon area on Tuesday morning.

Firefighters have been struggling to contain the blaze, which has already claimed the life of a senior station officer.

Fireman Hui Chi-kit, 37, died while fighting the fire on Thursday night, while two others have been sent to hospital with serious injuries.

“We had a team on the third floor extinguishing the fire… When there was duty handover, they discovered Hui was unconscious,” fire department director Lai Man-hin told reporters.

“All of our colleagues immediately began rescuing him and brought him to the ambulance,” said Lai, who looked exhausted.

Television footage showed firemen carrying an unconscious colleague from the burning building and paramedics conducting cardiopulmonary resuscitation on him.

Two firemen were hospitalised Thursday in serious condition, a government spokesman told AFP, while nine others have been discharged.

The fire department said they had encountered difficulty in controlling the fire, which broke out in a building containing 200 storage units.

“One of the biggest difficulties is that the temperature is very high… every unit is separated by a metal sheet,” Lam said.

Large fires are rare in Hong Kong. In 2011, a blaze engulfed a residential tower and tourist market, killing nine people and injuring 30.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 08:40
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Jack Neo's next film tackles ex-convicts' reintegration into society

0

The Singapore director will be relinquishing directorial duties to executive-produce the Chinese New Year comedy-drama Take 2.

Source link

Southeast Asian Islamic State unit being formed in southern Philippines: Officials

0

JAKARTA/MANILA – Southeast Asian militants who claim to be fighting for Islamic State in the Middle East have said they have chosen one of the most wanted men in the Philippines to head a regional faction of the ultra-radical group, security officials said on Thursday.

The claim was made in a video that was recently posted on social media, possibly last week, a military intelligence official in the Philippines told Reuters.

The video is significant, experts say, because it shows that Islamic State supporters are now being asked to stay home and unify under one umbrella group to launch attacks in Southeast Asia, instead of being drawn to the fight in the Middle East.

Authorities in the region have been on heightened alert since Islamic State claimed an attack in the Indonesian capital Jakarta in January in which eight people were killed, including four of the attackers.

In the 20-minute video seen by Reuters, young men and some children in military fatigues are shown carrying and training with weapons, and holding Islamic State flags. A section of the video showed some of these men engaging in gunbattles in jungles but it was not clear where and with whom.

The video also showed three men apparently being executed, but it was not clear where and who they were.

The authenticity of the video and when it was taken could not be independently verified.

In the video, a man authorities in Malaysia have identified as Mohd Rafi Udin, a Malaysian militant currently in Syria, says in Malay: “If you cannot go to (Syria), join up and go to the Philippines.”

In the video, Udin also urges Muslims to unite under the leadership of Abu Abdullah, a Philippine militant leader who pledged allegiance to Islamic State in January.

Abu Abdullah, also known as Isnilon Hapilon, is a leader of the Philippine militant group Abu Sayyaf. He is on the FBI’s most wanted list for his role in the kidnapping of 17 Filipinos and three Americans in 2001 and carries a bounty of US$5 million (S$6.7 million).

The video was released to mark Islamic State’s acceptance of allegiances from jihadists in the Philippines, the first formal recognition of a Southeast Asian group, said Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay, chief of Malaysia’s police counter-terrorism unit.

“This video is not just propaganda, but is a serious threat. We are definitely expecting more attacks in this region,”Pitchay told Reuters.

Hapilon is known to be based in the interior hills of the island of Basilan in the Mindanao region of the southern Philippines. In April, at least 18 Philippine soldiers were killed and 53 wounded in an attack on his followers on the island.

KIDNAP GANG

For decades, Abu Sayyaf has been known for extortion, kidnappings, beheadings and bombings, and is one of the most brutal Muslim rebel factions in the south of the largely Christian Philippines.

The group has posted videos on social media sites this year pledging allegiance to Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.

The latest video appears aimed at recognising Hapilon as the Southeast Asian leader of the group, anti-terrorism experts said.

“I think this is a very significant video,” said Sidney Jones, a Jakarta-based security expert. “This acknowledges support from Indonesia and Malaysia.”

“It suggests there will be more efforts to get people to actually go to Mindanao to launch operations from there.”

The Jakarta attacks in January were claimed by Islamic State. But the attack did not bear the hallmarks of other spectacular strikes by the radical group – the militants lacked sophisticated weaponry and were amateurish in the execution.

Some security officials fear a more organised and better trained militant group could launch far deadlier attacks in the region.

But Philippine military officials dismissed these concerns, saying the video was just propaganda and should be ignored. “People should not be bothered by this,” said Philippine military spokesman Restituto Padilla

“Authorities are working on this. They can be identified, and they can be hunted down.”

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 07:59
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Three-vehicle collision on AYE injures 17 workers

0

A collision involving a bus and two lorries yesterday on the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) left 17 workers injured.

The vehicles were headed towards the Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE) before Clementi Avenue 6 when the accident…

Source link

Red paint splashed on two cars in Tampines car park

0

He was shocked when he got to the carpark yesterday morning and saw that two of his cars had been splashed with bright red paint.

The car rental company owner, who wanted to be known only as Mr Long, 22, said he was walking…

Source link

O’Neill and Keane have turned Ireland around, says Gary Lim

0

GROUP E

ITALY 0

REP OF IRELAND 1
(Robbie Brady 85)

Roy Keane snarls at interviewers, snaps at the slightest provocation and intimidates whenever the…

Source link

Belgium's swagger is back, says Richard Buxton

0

GROUP E

SWEDEN 0

BELGIUM 1
(Radja Nainggolan 84)

Belgium could not have asked for an easier passage to the Euro 2016 final.

A Round of 16 stage…

Source link

It's your call

0

It’s getting easier to buy a powerful smartphone on a tight budget.

OnePlus, Oppo, Xiaomi, Asus and Leagoo are but a few of the companies producing remarkable devices at affordable prices.

Gone are the days of laggy…

Source link