Home Blog Page 3586

Fans wait 15 hours to see K-pop boy band Got7

0

Would you go to extremes to express your admiration for your K-pop idols?

For some, it was a big fat yes.

Among the more than 3,000 fans who thronged the basement of City Square Mall yesterday evening were girls who had sacrificed their beauty sleep the night before so that they could be first in line to catch a glimpse of seven-piece multinational boy band Got7.

Secondary 3 students Lin Yeo, 16, and Candrea Chan, 15, told The New Paper that they and their friends were the first to arrive at the shopping mall at 4.30am to “chope” a good spot.

The press conference started at about 7.15pm.

“It’s Got7! You can never find a boy band like them in Singapore,” gushed Candrea, who had also gone to Changi Airport the night before in a bid to meet her idols.

“Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see them because they arrived through Changi’s CIP Terminal (used by private jet passengers).

“I slept only two hours last night. I told my parents I was coming for this and left home quietly around 3am.”

‘CRAZY’

Lin said her parents are aware of her “crazy” devotion to Got7, but “they have given up nagging me”.

She told TNP she “got retained” in school last year and is “repeating Secondary 3”.

“My grades have improved this year and I am trying to strike a balance between my studies and love for K-pop,” she said, when asked if her parents were worried about her spending too much time chasing her idols.

Got7 was formed in 2014 and comprises South Koreans Youngjae, JB, Junior and Yugyeom, Hong Konger Jackson, American-Taiwanese Mark, and Thai BamBam.

The band members, whose ages range from 18 to 22, were at the mall to hype up their first solo concert in Singapore.

Best known for melodic dance tunes such as Fly, Just Right and If You Do, Got7 will be performing tonight at the Suntec Singapore Convention & Exhibition Centre.

FULL HOUSE

When TNP arrived at the mall at 4.30pm, the place was already packed with fans.

Deafening screams resonated across the mall when Got7 appeared to meet the media.

It was not just teenage girls who were mesmerised by Got7.

Ms Jo Ng, 27, said she had arrived at the mall on Wednesday evening.

“I was not allowed into the press conference area. So I just loitered in the vicinity. I didn’t go home and I didn’t sleep at all,” said Ms Ng, who works in the hotel and tourism industry.

She has been following Got7 since their debut. She said they “contain a lot of potential”.

“They’ve grown up so much in the past couple of years,” said Ms Ng, who is also a huge fan of singer-actor Kim Hyun Joong.

In 2014, Got7 bagged Best New Artist Group at the Seoul Music Awards and the Newcomer Award at the Golden Disk Awards.

FYI

WHAT: Got7 1st Concert Fly In Singapore

WHERE: Suntec Singapore Convention & Exhibition Centre, Hall 601 to 604

WHEN: Today, 8pm

TICKETS: $128 to $288 from APACTix. Go to www.apactix.com

Got7 teases ‘surprises’

K-pop boy band Got7 held a brief press conference, which wrapped up in about 30 minutes, at City Square Mall yesterday evening.

HOW ARE YOU FEELING AHEAD OF TONIGHT’S SHOW? IT IS YOUR FIRST SOLO CONCERT IN SINGAPORE.

BamBam: We feel really great and honoured. We can’t wait to sing for all our fans in Singapore.

JB: There are definitely surprises in store.

Jackson: But you won’t know if you don’t come.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO TO RELAX? WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES?

JB: I like to ride my bicycle.

Yugyeom: I’ve been practising for the concert.

Press conference host Ken Low: Wow, you’re so hard-working!

Jackson: Yugyeom’s been hard at work practising a R&B song.

(Crowd wants Yugyeom to sing a few lines and Yugyeom, flashing a wide grin, grants their wish.)

BAMBAM AND JACKSON, BOTH OF YOU ARE PART OF POPULAR MILITARY-THEMED REALITY TV SHOW REAL MEN. HOW IS THE EXPERIENCE SO FAR?

BamBam: What I really want is for all seven of us to be on Real Men.

Jackson: The most memorable moments of Real Men, for me, would be the times when I’m looking after BamBam.

(Crowd screams.)


This article was first published on June 24, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, June 25, 2016 – 06:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

British conservative MEP head says British people have voted leave

0

BRUSSELS – The head of the British conservative party in the European Parliament said on Friday that the British people had voted to leave the European Union and it was time to move on.

“It’s the democratic will of the British people. The British people have voted to leave. I think we now have to come together, have to move on,” Syed Kamall, a conservative member of parliament for London, told Reuters.

Kamall added that people understood that there may be some short-term jitters, but that they were worried about the long-term impact of staying in the EU.

“Actually what’s important in markets is not the next hours or the next few days, it’s actually the next few months or years,” he said.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 12:36
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



video embed code: 
<iframe width="600" height="425" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gOobpx_Dv3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Video Media: 
Other Video Media
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Maid abused toddler for 10 months because of his older brother's behaviour

0

The maid was angry with her employer’s “very naughty” nine-year-old son, but knew he would tell on her if she hurt him.

So she took out her frustration on his two-year-old brother, who was too young to complain.

Between March last year and January this year, for about three times a week, she would pinch the younger boy’s body, back and legs.

The abuse came to light after his mother discovered scars and wounds all over him.

“Call it a mother’s instinct but I don’t know what prompted me to check his body that day.

“When I took off his shirt I was shocked to see the marks, bruises and scars, some of which were already healed so I knew it was not recent,” the victim’s mother told The New Paper. 

She confronted the maid, and found out to her horror that the woman had started pinching the boy about 10 months earlier.

Yesterday, Fajardo Elizabeth Esquiral,, 26, was jailed six months for abusing the child, now three.

We are not naming the victim or his family members due to a gag order.

Court papers said the Filipina began working for the single mother in July 2013 and took care of her two sons while the mother was at work, between 9am and 5.30pm.

She shared the younger boy’s bedroom.

Fajardo told the authorities she found the older boy to be very naughty and that he did not listen to her.

So she would pinch his brother whenever she was angry and frustrated.

She admitted that she picked on the younger boy as he was only two and was unlikely to be able to tell his mother what had happened.

On Jan 21 this year, the boy’s mother noticed the injuries all over his body.

When she first confronted Fajardo, the maid lied that she had not noticed the scars.

The mother then took her son to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital for a medical check-up.

CONFESSED

She questioned her maid again when she got home later that night and Fajardo eventually admitted to pinching the boy.

The mother called the police two hours later, and Fajardo’s employment was also terminated that day.

Yesterday, Fajardo, who was not represented by a lawyer, said in mitigation that she was remorseful and begged for forgiveness from her employer, the victim and the Singapore Government.

Principal District Judge Bala Reddy said in sentencing that the boy was ill-treated for 10 months and he was a defenceless victim who could not complain about the abuse.

For ill-treating the child, Fajardo could have been jailed up to four years, fined up to $4,000, or both.

Mum has lost trust in maids

Her Filipino maid Fajardo Elizabeth Esquiral 26, seemed like god-sent when she started working with the family on July 25, 2013.

“She took care of the house and my boys and they loved her, especially the younger one. They seemed close.

“I was in the midst of a divorce and needed someone to take care of the boys. She had been with us for two-and-a-half years. My mother even gave her a gold necklace because she thought Beth loved the boys,” the victim’s mother told The New Paper.

But, Fajardo was taking out her frustrations with her employer’s nine-year-old son on his two-year-old brother for over 10 months.

Fajardo pinched his body, back and legs, leaving marks, bruises and scars.

The abuse only came to light when his mother discovered his scars and wounds in January.

FOUND OUT

She said: “(The maid) told me that his finger nails were long and he scratched himself. When I took him to KKH (KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital), I was told by the doctor that there were bruises in places where he could not have reached.”

The single mother called the police after the maid admitted later that she had abused the boy.

“Beth was so good to my boys in front of us. She seemed so perfect but she turned out to be a monster. It never crossed my mind that she was capable of such evil acts. I can never forgive her,” she said.

She said that after the maid as arrested, she placed her sons with a friend who has two boys of her own.

“My friend noticed that whenever she placed my younger one on the sofa, he would sit very still with clenched fists and not move for hours. The physical scars have healed, but I wonder if she had harmed him psychologically,” the victim’s mother added.

What Fajardo did made the single mum not trust even her current maid.

“I know it is unfair to her, but I had to put my sons’ welfare first. I fixed cameras around the house to ensure there is no more abuse,” she said.


This article was first published on June 24, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 14:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Singapore expresses condolences for tornado victims in Jiangsu

0

There are no reports of any Singaporeans affected by the tornado which left 78 dead and 500 injured, says the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

Source link

Awfully Chocolate 18% Off 6″ All Chocolate Cake at 14 Outlets from 24 Jun 2016

0

Awfully Chocolate 18% off All-Chocolate Cake deal, redeemable at 14 outlets

Awfully Chocolate 18% Off 6″ All Chocolate Cake at 14 Outlets from 24 Jun 2016

Indulge in Awfully Chocolate’s signature moist chocolate cake with layers of dark chocolate fudge with this deal: $28 for a 6″ All Chocolate Cake (worth $34) at 14 Outlets – that’s 18% off the usual price! Get this deal before it ends soon

Source

Win Game Of Thrones premiums!

0

Game Of Thrones fans, are you ready for the season finale?

Is the final episode, The Winds Of Winter, going to be an explosive end to the beloved series? Will it be the biggest episode yet…

Source link

Early psychological intervention key for trauma patients: CGH

0

According to Changi General Hospital, such intervention could help prevent the development of post-trauma mental conditions. 

Source link

7 Indonesian sailors kidnapped in Philippines

0

JAKARTA – Seven Indonesian sailors have been taken hostage in the Sulu Sea in the southern Philippines, Indonesia’s foreign minister said on Friday, the latest in a string of abductions in the waters between the two Southeast Asian neighbors.

Indonesian authorities have voiced concerns that piracy in the Sulu Sea area, a major sea traffic lane for the world’s top thermal coal exporter, could reach levels previously seen in Somalia.

Analysts say US$40 billion (S$53.7 billion) worth of cargo passes through those waters a year, including supertankers from the Indian Ocean that cannot use the crowded Malacca Strait.

“We got confirmation (yesterday) of an incident of kidnapping involving Indonesian crew of a ship,” Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi told reporters.

She said the hijackings were carried out by two different armed groups in attacks on a tugboat towing a coal-carrying barge.

Six of the 13 crew on board were freed, Marsudi said, and were on their way back to Indonesia.

“We absolutely do not tolerate this. The government will try all options to free the hostages,” Marsudi said.

Up to 18 Indonesians and Malaysians were kidnapped in three attacks on tugboats earlier this year in Philippine waters by groups suspected of ties to the Abu Sayyaf militant network.

All 14 Indonesian citizens were later released.

The Philippine military has said the militants have been targeting foreign crew of slow-moving tugboats because they can no longer penetrate resorts and coastal towns in Malaysia’s eastern Sabah state due to increased security.

The rise of sea hijackings prompted Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia to agree last month to carry out coordinated patrols to secure the region’s busy waterways.

However, coordinated patrols are yet to get underway.

Abu Sayyaf, known for amassing tens of millions of dollars from kidnappings, has beheaded two Canadian nationals in recent weeks after ransom deadlines passed.

The group is still holding Malaysian seamen and Japanese, Dutch, Norwegian, and Philippine citizens.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 11:21
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

UPDATE 1-Seven Indonesian sailors kidnapped in Phi

0

JAKARTA – Seven Indonesian sailors have been taken hostage in the Sulu Sea in the southern Philippines, Indonesia’s foreign minister said on Friday, the latest in a string of abductions in the waters between the two Southeast Asian neighbors.

Indonesian authorities have voiced concerns that piracy in the Sulu Sea area, a major sea traffic lane for the world’s top thermal coal exporter, could reach levels previously seen in Somalia.

Analysts say US$40 billion (S$53.7 billion) worth of cargo passes through those waters a year, including supertankers from the Indian Ocean that cannot use the crowded Malacca Strait.

“We got confirmation (yesterday) of an incident of kidnapping involving Indonesian crew of a ship,” Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi told reporters.

She said the hijackings were carried out by two different armed groups in attacks on a tugboat towing a coal-carrying barge.

Six of the 13 crew on board were freed, Marsudi said, and were on their way back to Indonesia.

“We absolutely do not tolerate this. The government will try all options to free the hostages,” Marsudi said.

Up to 18 Indonesians and Malaysians were kidnapped in three attacks on tugboats earlier this year in Philippine waters by groups suspected of ties to the Abu Sayyaf militant network.

All 14 Indonesian citizens were later released.

The Philippine military has said the militants have been targeting foreign crew of slow-moving tugboats because they can no longer penetrate resorts and coastal towns in Malaysia’s eastern Sabah state due to increased security.

The rise of sea hijackings prompted Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia to agree last month to carry out coordinated patrols to secure the region’s busy waterways.

However, coordinated patrols are yet to get underway.

Abu Sayyaf, known for amassing tens of millions of dollars from kidnappings, has beheaded two Canadian nationals in recent weeks after ransom deadlines passed.

The group is still holding Malaysian seamen and Japanese, Dutch, Norwegian, and Philippine citizens.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, June 24, 2016 – 11:21
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Singapore Airlines rules out acquisition of Virgin Australia

0

The statement comes after speculation that SIA was interested in acquiring Virgin Australia, following news that Air New Zealand plans to sell its 25.9 per cent stake in the Australian airline.

Source link