Home Blog Page 3561

Faster immigration clearance for US, S’pore citizens with new programme

0

SINGAPORE – Singaporeans who are frequent travellers to the United States will soon be able to clear immigration checks faster following the launch of a joint programme on Monday (June 27).
The US-Singapore Trusted Traveller Programme (TTP) allows eligible…

Source link

PM Lee joins hundreds for iftar at Punggol's Al-Islah Mosque

0

He also went on a tour of the mosque, which officially re-opened in June last year. 

Source link

Interest in pound tapers as buyers in S’pore play waiting game

0

SINGAPORE – After the British currency exchange frenzy last Friday following the outcome of the Brexit referendum in the United Kingdom, the mood was more muted at moneychangers in Singapore on Monday (June 27).
While a moneychanger TODAY interviewed at The…

Source link

Singapore Athletics picks Ho Mun Cheong as chief

0

It was a divisive vote, with the 20 affiliates initially split evenly between Ho and his opponent Edmond Pereira.  

Source link

Haze less likely as more rain seen in Q4, says Masagos

0

SINGAPORE – With more rain forecast for the latter part of 2016, the risk of haze blanketing the Republic could be lower this year, as forest fires will likely be put out faster, Environment and Water Resources Minister Masagos Zulkifli said on Monday (June…

Source link

Blogger Han Hui Hui fined $3,100 for role in Hong Lim Park rally

0

Activist and blogger Han Hui Hui was on Monday (June 27) fined $3,100 for co-organising a protest rally at Hong Lim Park without approval on Sept 27, 2014, and disrupting a charity carnival being held at the park then.

She and five others, including blogger Roy Ngerng Yi Ling, were accused of disrupting the YMCA Proms @ The Park charity event for children with special needs, which was held at Hong Lim Park at the same time as the Return Our CPF protest rally.

Han, 24, was fined $600 for being a public nuisance and $2,500 for organising a demonstration without approval.

Han told the court that she has prepared a notice of appeal.

Two others, Koh Yew Beng, 61, and Low Wai Choo, 56, were each fined $450 after they were found guilty with Han.

Ngerng was fined a total of $1,900 – $400 for being a public nuisance, and $1,500 for organising a demonstration without approval – in October 2015.

Chua Siew Leng, 43, who does not hold a regular job, pleaded guilty in March 2015. She was fined $300.

Goh Aik Huat, 42, had been given a conditional warning.

During the rally, the six grew “more emotive” when Minister of State Teo Ser Luck, the YMCA event’s main guest, arrived at the park.

They marched four times around the general vicinity of the YMCA event, shouting loudly, chanting slogans, waving flags, holding placards, blowing whistles loudly and beating drums.


This article was first published on June 27, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Tuesday, June 28, 2016 – 09:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Orphaned Aussie tree kangaroo ready for move to Singapore Zoo

0

The Singapore Zoo welcomes its newest resident next week – a “miracle” orphaned tree kangaroo from Australia.

Makaia, who was dubbed a “miracle” after being adopted by a wallaby when his mother died suddenly, received his final health checks today (June 27), said the Adelaide Zoo in a press release.

When Makaia arrives at his new home in Singapore next week, he will meet his new mate – a female Goodfellow’s tree kangaroo from Sydney’s Taronga Zoo. Keepers hope the pair will mate and start a family of their own.

Makaia was just seven weeks old when he was orphaned. In a world first for conservation, keepers and veterinarians at Adelaide Zoo saved Makaia’s life by using a surrogate yellow-footed rock-wallaby mother – a technique never before attempted with a tree kangaroo.

‘Cross-fostering’, a special breeding technique that Adelaide Zoo pioneered in the 1990s, involves the transfer of endangered joeys to the pouch of a surrogate mother of a different wallaby species.

This accelerates the breeding cycle of the original wallaby, allowing the female to increase its reproduction rate up to six or eight times in some species. This has helped Adelaide Zoo to build the captive population of an endangered species much more quickly.

Makaia stayed with his wallaby mother for about three-and-a-half months until he became too big for her pouch. A keeper then looked after him, becoming his third “mum”.

Dr Ian Smith, a senior veterinarian at Adelaide Zoo, says Makaia thrived under the care of his adoptive mothers and is now a happy and healthy maturing adult.

“We’ve had great success over the years cross-fostering between wallaby species, but the specialised breeding technique had never been used on a tree kangaroo before, so it was a huge achievement for the zoo,” Dr Smith said.

“It’s now time for him to start his next chapter and we’re confident he’s going to do really well,” he added.

“He is extremely genetically valuable for the region and we are hopeful he will form an important part of the international breeding programme working to save this endangered species from extinction.”

While happy to see Makaia grow into a healthy adult and start a new adventure in Singapore, his keepers in Adelaide will miss him.

“Of course we will be sad to see Makaia go, but we’re incredibly proud of what we have achieved as a zoo and to have been able to give him a chance at a wonderful life where he can make a real difference to the conservation of his wild cousins,” said Adelaide Zoo Natives team leader Gayl Males.

“He has earnt himself a special place in the hearts of the zoo’s staff and visitors with his cheeky personality and amazing strength.”

Goodfellow’s tree kangaroos inhabit the rainforests of New Guinea.

A distant relative of the kangaroo and wallaby, the species lives in trees and rarely descends to the ground. Distinguishable by its striking back stripe, the Goodfellow’s tree kangaroo is classified by the IUCN as endangered in the wild due to overhunting and loss of habitat.

xiuhuil@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 21:55
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Philippines' Duterte changes tone on South China Sea dispute

0

MANILA- Incoming Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Monday he won’t comment about the country’s South China Sea dispute with China until after an arbitration court has made its ruling.

In 2013, Manila went to the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague seeking to clarify its economic entitlements under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and declare void China’s so-called “nine-dash line” claim on the South China Sea.

“We will wait for the decision before I make any public statement,” Duterte said in a speech in Davao City, where he was mayor for 22 years.

“We are just waiting for the arbitral judgment. Let’s not bother that issue. I have to talk with everybody in the government, especially the military.”

Duterte’s statement was in line with outgoing President Benigno Aquino’s policy to de-escalate tension with China by avoiding any provocative comments until after The Hague delivers a ruling in the coming weeks.

During the campaign, Duterte said he would ride a jet ski and plant a Philippine flag on one of the seven man-made islands China had built in the Spratly to dramatise Manila’s claim.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, where about $5 trillion worth of trade passes every year. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also have claims. Beijing marks a “nine-dash line” on maps to show its delineate its claim.

Last week, Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio said the tribunal may hand down a ruling in the first week of July.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 21:54
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 401 176
Hermes ID String: 
VLDUTERTE27
Hermes Author: 
GRONGLOH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Top Chinese envoy visits Vietnam as South China Sea tension rises

0

HANOI – China’s top diplomat met Vietnam’s leadership on Monday during a scheduled visit aimed at strengthening historically close relations at a time when ties are strained by squabbles over the South China Sea.

The trip by State Councillor Yang Jiechi comes amid a Chinese public relations blitz to try to discredit a looming verdict by an international tribunal, which could aggravate tensions if it undermines Beijing’s vast claims to waters extending far into Southeast Asia.

Yang, who outranks China’s foreign minister, and Vietnam’s Foreign Minister and deputy premier, Pham Binh Minh, expressed a need to implement joint agreements on preventing rows from getting out of hand, said Vietnam’s foreign ministry.

That included “controlling conflicts well, boosting negotiation mechanisms … and finding basic and long-term solutions that both sides can accept through peaceful exchanges and negotiations”, the ministry said in a statement.

China’s state news agency Xinhua quoted Yang as saying both countries must “appropriately handle relevant disputes and problems”.

He later met with Vietnam’s president and its Communist Party chief.

His visit comes as the region braces for the verdict in the case brought by the Philippines in 2013 to the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague seeking clarification of parts of United Nations maritime law.

China has said 47 countries support its refusal to recognise the case. Its diplomats have written editorials in regional newspapers denouncing what has been seen widely as a bold move by Manila, with scope for repercussions.

Incoming Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, on Monday said he would not discuss it until a ruling was made.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, where about $5 trillion worth of trade passes every year. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also have claims.

Experts had said it was unlikely Yang would seek a sympathetic ear from Vietnam, which has trust issues with China and has recently grown closer to the Philippines.

Vietnam is not involved in The Hague case but stands to benefit from a positive ruling for Manila and has echoed its opposition to China’s fortification of artificial islands, the conduct of its coastguard and perceived intrusions into its exclusive economic zone.

Ha Hoang Hop, a Vietnamese academic who has advised the government, said there was “no hidden agenda” behind Yang’s visit and no compromises would be made over the South China Sea.

The court is expected to rule in the coming months and there are concerns in the United States about how China could react should the verdict not work in its favour.

Both sides have accused each other of trying to militarize a shipping route vital to the stability of the global economy.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 21:52
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 401 170
Hermes ID String: 
VLVIETNAM27
Hermes Author: 
GRONGLOH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Indonesian parliamentary commission approves tax amnesty bill

0

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 21:09
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link