Called the Logistics Professional Conversion Programme, it will offer 150 vacancies for professionals, managers, executives and technicians in two job roles – logistics officer and logistics executive.
Source link
New programme to train professionals for logistics industry
Ex-policeman jailed 6 months for stalking civil servant
Adrian Goh Guan Kiong used the woman’s mobile phone to send lewd messages and obscene photographs of her to her colleagues.
Source link
‘Real Singapore’ founder jailed for 8 months for sedition
ONE of the founders of a popular website in Singapore has been sentenced to eight months in jail after being convicted of sedition for publishing anti-foreign content.
Court documents say Yang Kaiheng, 27, set up The Real Singapore website together with his Australian wife, Ai Takagi, and helped distribute accounts from visitors that contained inaccuracies.
Takagi was convicted of similar charges and started serving a 10-month sentence from April, the harshest ever imposed under the Sedition Act, which is used to deter inhabitants from promoting hostility in the multicultural nation.
Yang distanced himself from the website’s content during much of the trial, saying he was not involved in editing or approving it, before abruptly pleading guilty to six counts of sedition on Friday.
In reading out the grounds for sentencing, District Judge Chay Yuen Fatt said Yang had exploited feelings of nationalism for financial gain, The Straits Times reported.
“Brexit was a shocking but powerful display of nationalistic sentiments by the majority of the voters in the U.K.,” the judge said, alluding to the result of the recent British referendum which saw the country voting to leave the European Union bloc.
SEE ALSO: Shutting down The Real Singapore: The naked truth about sedition
Judge Chay raised concern that the nationalism promoted on the website could lead to xenophobia, racism, and violence.
“At the heart of this case against the accused lies the exploitation of such feelings purely for financial gain and not for some noble ideology, misguided or otherwise,” the judge was quoted as saying.
The prosecution had indicated that Yang had gained AU$550,000 (US$407,267) in advertising revenue for the website between December 2012 to April last year, the bulk of which went towards paying off his tuition fees at an Australian university and an apartment.
Following the couple’s arrest last year, netizens criticized the move as an attempt to stifle free speech and suppress political dissent.
The Real Singapore was also a hotbed for anti-government views. In March 2015, it received an estimated 2.6 million visits, or roughly 84,000 visits a day.
Additional reporting by Associated Press
The post ‘Real Singapore’ founder jailed for 8 months for sedition appeared first on Asian Correspondent.
SIA flight to Istanbul turns back to Singapore after attacks at Ataturk airport
SINGAPORE – A Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight to Istanbul turned back to Singapore approximately halfway through its journey following the suicide attacks that took place at Ataturk international airport on Wednesday morning (June 29, Singapore time).
SQ392,…
Source link
SIA flight to Istanbul turns back after suicide attack at Turkey’s Ataturk airport
SQ392, which departed from Changi Airport at 2.01am on Wednesday, turned back after news of the attacks emerged.
Source link
99.9 per cent chance of making a profit in China, Premier Li Keqiang says

New course to train maids in elderly care
For the next 45 Sundays or so starting on July 10, Cristina Ganancial Alvarez and 45 other maids will spend more than three hours learning how to better take care of the elderly.
Part of a newly launched training course by the Foreign Domestic Worker Association for Social Support and Training (Fast), the lessons will deal with topics such as heart attacks, how to manage aggressive seniors and how to properly carry an immobile person.
The 165-hour course costs $120 after subsidies of about 75 per cent from Fast, although five of the maids were given scholarships.
One of them is Ms Alvarez. The 41-year-old Filipina looks after a household of six, including her employer and his wife who are in their 60s.
“They are still healthy… I want to be prepared because I want to work with them for a long time,” she added.
The training course – which will be conducted by Care Advisors Recruitment Enterprise (Care) and facilitated by a doctor, a physiotherapist and nurses – had places for 40 sign-ups but saw 70 applications.
The next round of admission for about 50 places will open in September.
Those who complete the course will receive a specialist certificate in home-based care- giving, certified by Fast, Care and the caregiver’s embassy.
Seah Seng Choon, president of non-government organisation Fast, said training maids in caregiving would benefit both the worker and employer.
“To be able to age gracefully in the comfort of one’s home is the hope of many Singaporeans… and it will enhance the well-being of (the) elderly at home when the caregiver is well-trained,” he said yesterday at the launch at Fast’s clubhouse in Raeburn Park.
“Based on feedback we have received, many domestic helpers would also like to be better skilled in taking care of the elderly.”
Fast will also start holding monthly mediation service from next month for maids and employers to work out differences with the help of mediators at the Fast clubhouse.
Fast receives an average of 166 calls a month, with about two in 10 being about employment issues such as termination or disputes over agency fees.
Nearly half are about emotional support and adjustment difficulties. Appointments for mediation can be made by calling 6509-1535.

Get MyPaper for more stories.

Thumbs up for police team that brought Jover Chew to justice
Ever since Jover Chew and his four associates were jailed in November last year for cheating customers at their Sim Lim Square store Air Mobile, the police have not seen any more cheating cases at that mall, Lucky Plaza or People’s Park Complex.
These three commercial buildings were former hot spots for complaints of unfair business practices.
Led by Superintendent Aileen Yap, 38, a team of 22 investigating officers from the Central Division looked into over 100 police reports filed against Air Mobile in 2014.
For their role in effectively curtailing the number of cheating cases in Singapore, Supt Yap’s team was commended by the Commissioner of Police Hoong Wee Teck at a ceremony yesterday.
In total, 154 individuals and 211 teams were presented with commendations. There were also four special commendations given out for rejecting bribes.
Supt Yap said Chew had been under police investigation even before he became known for trying to give one customer more than $1,000 in coins as a refund, and later for making another customer beg for a refund on bended knee.
She had formed the team in September 2014, before Chew became a household name. After two months of gathering evidence, the team raided Air Mobile in November that year, at about the time he began to gain infamy online.
“The whole investigation process was very long-drawn but we are happy that, at the end of the day, justice was served,” she said.
Some of the biggest challenges came from victims who were reluctant or unable to help with investigations.
Chew targeted foreign nationals, many of whom earned low wages and had a poor command of English. Supt Yap’s team found that many of those who made the complaints had left Singapore, and it was hard to get in touch with them.
Others were unconvinced that they would get any compensation and wanted to drop the case.
“This case was unprecedented. Even when we went to trial to prosecute Jover Chew, we felt it was 50-50 on whether we could convict him,” said Supt Yap.

Get MyPaper for more stories.
More teens exposed to porn via cellphones
Nine in every 10 teenage boys here have watched or read sexually explicit materials within the past year, a survey has found, with some first exposed to it from as early as lower primary and below.
For the girls, 8 per cent admitted to viewing pornography last year, be it intentional or accidental.
Conducted by Touch Cyber Wellness, the main agency that gives online safety talks in schools here, the survey polled 921 students aged 13 to 15 to examine teenage exposure to pornography.
It did the first such survey on teenage exposure to pornography two years ago and followed up with a second one earlier this year.
Compared with the first survey, there is an increase of 6 to 14 per cent of the boys and girls who have been exposed to pornography.
The main mode of accessing such materials is via personal mobile devices.
Of those who viewed such content, 88 per cent of boys and 73 per cent of girls saw it on their smartphones or tablets. This is an increase of 6 to 8 per cent compared with the 2014 survey.
The earliest age of exposure is upper primary and below for 52 per cent of the boys who accessed such material, and 28 per cent for the girls.
Experts say the findings are worrying as such content can affect children’s studies, self-esteem, interpersonal relationships and their attitudes and behaviour towards love and sex.
If addiction sets in, it may lead to various forms of dysfunction and sexual crimes.
Touch Cyber Wellness manager Chong Ee Jay called the figures “expectedly alarming”.
“With kids owning or have access to mobile devices at a younger age, the risk of such exposures is greatly magnified.”
Delane Lim, chief executive of Agape Group Holdings which conducts talks and youth camps in schools, agrees.
“Exposure to pornography is a given. But we should start getting worried about the average age of kids being exposed to it and the percentage of youths addicted to pornography,” he added.
Experts say it is time for parents to monitor and talk to their children about such issues as the exposure rate can be expected to go only north, given that Singapore has one of the highest rates of mobile-phone usage.
When asked how they were first exposed to porno- graphy, 54 per cent of the boys said they intentionally searched for it on the Internet while 43 per cent of the girls stumbled upon it while surfing online.
While parents can install Web filters on their child’s mobile phones, this may work only for younger kids.
Mr Lim said a longer-term solution is to equip parents with the right communication skills to talk about such issues.
“But they may not have the moral authority to do so as, ironically, some parents are watching pornography themselves and the children know it,” he added.
K. Rosli, 42, mother of a girl aged 10 and a three-year-old son, checks the history of Internet sites and YouTube videos on her daughter’s phone daily.
Said the executive: “She hands over her phone willingly every day because we have a curfew for phone use.
“When the boy grows up, I will get dad to handle him.”

Get MyPaper for more stories.

Man in dangerous climb at Ang Mo Kio block
A man was found perched outside the kitchen window of a 12-storey flat in Ang Mo Kio early Wednesday morning.
Source link


