



The Cathay 1-for-1 movie for Singtel customers tomorrow (30 June)
The Cathay Cineplex 1-for-1 Movie Deal For Singtel Customers on Thursday, 30 June 2016
Have a Better Thursday and go on a 1 for 1 movie with a friend or loved one at The Cathay Cineplex, Handy Road. Exclusively for Singtel customers
The haul of drugs included about 2.4kg of cannabis, 150g for Ice and 104 Ecstasy tablets, said CNB, adding that three suspects were arrested.
Source link
Roy Hodgson may be reeling from his resignation as coach of England, but could be handed a lifeline by cash-rich Chinese club football, according the head of China’s foremost sports event organiser.
Eric Gao, who has pulled off an inadvertent coup as his International Champions Cup will see bitter rivals Manchester United’s Jose Mourinho and Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola face off for the first time in their new roles on July 25 in Beijing, said Hodgson remains the type of high-profile coach in demand by Chinese clubs despite England’s feeble performance in the 2-1 defeat by Iceland at Euro 2016 on Monday.
“I know that lots of clubs in the Chinese Super League would love to be able to sign a coach of the calibre of Roy Hodgson,” Gao told reporters in London on Tuesday.”If anyone has his number or that of his agent I would love to have it.”
Hodgson, 68, resigned immediately after the Iceland humiliation, but already has experience of coaching in several different countries from the Swiss national team to Italian giants Inter Milan and Malmo in Sweden.
Hodgson wouldn’t be the first former England coach to land on his feet in China with Sven-Goran Eriksson, who led the Three Lions to three major tournament quarter-finals between 2002 and 2006, coaching Shanghai SIPG.

SINGAPORE – Online video streaming service Toggle has apologised for a video posted on its Facebook page, after netizens accused it of being insensitive and offensive.
The video, posted on Monday (June 27) afternoon, was a fashion police segment meant to promote Toggle’s new Double Trouble series, which features Mark Lee and Kumar.
In the video, social media personality Saffron Sharpe critiques the fashion choices of some members of the public on Orchard Road. While the faces of the people involved were censored out, they seemed to be unaware that they were being criticised and filmed.
The Internet was however, not amused and found the show to be distasteful and offensive.
Toggle, which is run by local broadcaster Mediacorp, subsequently responded to feedback by removing the video on Tuesday night.
In a statement released on its Facebook page, Toggle said: “We’re so sorry. We never meant to cause hurt or insult. The ‘policing’ was part of a publicity campaign for an upcoming programme, done in the same tongue-in-cheek, irreverent way we might critique celebrity fashion. It wasn’t intended as a serious judgement of the way any of us dress.
“That said, again, we really should have known better and have of course pulled the video”.
Sharpe also posted an apology on her Facebook page, saying that the comments she made on the segment were “rude, insensitive and thoughtless”.
“I apologise if I have hurt, affected or disrespected anyone with the video I hosted. Despite the fact that it was a scripted programme, I now understand that it is no excuse. (In) hindsight, the statements I made came out rude, insensitive and thoughtless,” she wrote.
ljessica@sph.com.sg

A 58-year-old woman in Sichuan, China, had a pair of pliers lodged 15cm deep in her skull after the object fell from a 31-storey building and struck her right in the head.
According to Shanghaiist, Wang Youfang had been walking with her granddaughter out of the back gate of their apartment community when the accident happened.
She was still conscious when onlookers called the ambulance.
Surgeons at the hospital were only able to remove the pliers after 14 hours.
A suspect has been detained in relation to the incident, which is currently under police investigation. It is believed that a renovation project was ongoing in the building at the time of the accident.
The woman remains unconscious and will be at a high risk of infection for the next two weeks, as the pliers were dirty and her wound was too deep to clean.

Visit STOMP for more stories.

SINGAPORE – A 70-year-old man has been charged with the murder of his flatmate.
TODAY understands the victim, 62-year-old Fan Fook Heng, died in hospital on Wednesday (June 29) morning.
Tan Kim Hock allegedly committed the crime between Monday 11.30pm…
Source link
Adrian Goh Guan Kiong used the woman’s mobile phone to send lewd messages and obscene photographs of her to her colleagues.
Source link
UBER CEO Travid Cordell Kalanick’s scheduled court appearance in South Korea has been deferred after legal representatives filed a petition asking for a change of date, citing personal reasons.
THE CEO of popular ride-hailing app was due appear at a Seoul court this morning after being charged with operating an unauthorized taxi service one and a half years ago.
A new date for the hearing has yet to be decided, Yonhap reported.
SEE ALSO: Hong Kong police raid Uber office, arrest 5 drivers
In December 2014, South Korea became the first country to indict Kalanick, who is also the company’s co-founder, for violating the Passenger Transport Business Act, as the company’s UberX service, which allows ordinary drivers to transport paying customers, breached the law.
The Seoul city government then filed a series of complaints with prosecutors and was able to successfully charge Kalanick and around 30 other Uber employees for breaking the law. Violators can face imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of 20 million won (US$17,000).
Bowing to local pressure, the company shut down its UberX service in the country. Currently, the only Uber service South Koreans have access to is UberTaxi, which hails licensed taxis.
SEE ALSO: Violence breaks out in Jakarta as taxi drivers protest against Uber, Grab
As Uber, which was launched in South Korea in 2013, struggles with legal barriers, other competitors have stepped in. KakaoTalk, one of the country’s top messaging apps, released its own ride-hailing app, KakaoTaxi.
Since its launch in March last year, KakaoTaxi’s popularity has surged among Koreans, while usage of Uber, as a result of the UberX controversy, has plateaued.
Meanwhile, Uber announced the July 1 launch of its carpooling service, UberPOOL, in Singapore on Wednesday.
The new service allows drivers to improve their efficiency by being able to consolidate trips, reducing “dead time” in between customers, while passengers get to benefit from sharing their ride and splitting the cost of a trip with another Uber rider requesting a ride along a similar route at the same time.
Uber said that rides using UberPOOL are expected to be “25 percent cheaper” than those using UberX.
The post South Korea: Uber CEO delays hearing over illegal taxi service charges appeared first on Asian Correspondent.
At least two Philippine senators will file bills on July 1 to reimpose the death penalty in keeping apparently with President-elect Rodrigo Duterte’s wishes.
Reviving capital punishment will be among the first 10 measures to be filed by each of Sen. Vicente Sotto III and returning Sen. Panfilo Lacson ahead of the formal opening of the 17th Congress on July 25.
All incoming members of the Senate are in the process of readying the first 10 bills each will file come July 1.
Duterte recently said in Davao City that he viewed the death penalty-which was repealed during the Arroyo administration in 2006-as retribution for one’s crimes against society. “When you kill, rape someone you should pay for it,” he had said.
Lacson, however, said he saw the death penalty differently.
In a text message, Lacson said this was the first time he was filing a death penalty bill and it would cover “all heinous crimes” as defined in Republic Act No. 7659, or the Death Penalty Law that was repealed in 2006.
Lacson, a former chief of the Philippine National Police, said he saw capital punishment as a deterrent to crime while Duterte saw it as retribution.
Lacson said his bill would specify death by lethal injection and not by hanging, as Duterte had said he preferred but which Lacson found to be “medieval.””I believe the mere knowledge one’s death is forthcoming is the ultimate punishment,” Lacson said.
The nine other bills Lacson will file include the budget reform for village empowerment act, national ID reference system act, amendments to the antimoney laundering act and bank secrecy law, and the anti-wire tapping and SIM card registration acts.
Sotto said he would refile the death penalty bill he first submitted in 2014 which seeks to revive the old capital punishment law or RA 7659. His bill would also propose death by lethal injection.
Sotto’s other bills have to do with addressing the drug problem, an antidrug penal institution act, the creation of a Presidential Anti-Drug Authority, creation of a dangerous drugs court, and providing for affordable drug rehabilitation treatment for PhilHealth beneficiaries.
