Home Blog Page 3541

China's top internet regulator steps down

0

China’s top internet regulator, who oversaw a severe tightening of internet freedoms during his tenure, has stepped down, reports said Wednesday.

Lu Wei – named as one of the world’s 100 most influential people last year by Time magazine – had been in charge of supervising controls on online expression since taking over as head of the Cyberspace Administration of China in 2013.

China censors online content it deems to be politically sensitive, while blocking some Western media websites and the services of Internet giants including Facebook, Twitter and Google.

Lu will be succeeded by Xu Lin, a deputy from the same department who joined in 2015 and previously served two years as the minister of propaganda for the city of Shanghai.

“Xu Lin has replaced Lu Wei as the head of the Office of the Central Leading Group for Cyberspace Affairs,” the official Xinhua news agency said, citing an official statement but providing no further details.

Xu worked alongside China’s President Xi Jinping in Shanghai in 2007, when the latter was the city’s communist party chief.

Last year, a report by the American pro-democracy think tank Freedom House found that China had the most restrictive Internet policies of 65 countries studied, ranking below Iran and Syria.

Lu was a powerful figure both at home and abroad, where he commanded the attention of global technology firms eager for a piece of the Chinese market.

He was personally received by Mark Zuckerberg in 2014 at Facebook’s Silicon Valley headquarters, and appeared in the front row of a “family photo” alongside top execs from American tech giants such as Amazon and President Xi Jinping when the head of state visited the US last September.

It remains unclear whether Lu, who retains his position as deputy head of the ruling Communist party’s Central Publicity Department, will take on additional roles.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 29, 2016 – 21:46
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

S’pore steps up security at checkpoints, key transport nodes

0

SINGAPORE – Following the Istanbul attack, security agencies here immediately stepped up checks and patrols at checkpoints and key transport nodes, said the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Wednesday (June 29).
This is similar to what was done in the wake of…

Source link

IE Singapore, World Bank to guide firms in tendering for global infrastructure projects

0

The co-organised workshops aim to increase local firms’ participation in World Bank-funded projects, through closely guiding the procurement process. 

Source link

National athlete, Singaporeans caught up in aftermath of Istanbul terror attack

0

Singapore athlete Dipna Lim-Prasad, 25, arrived at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport just 30 minutes after the attacks on Tuesday night.

Three assailants armed with bombs and guns had attacked Turkey’s largest airport around 9pm (…

Source link

S’pore appoints first woman as permanent judge of apex court

0

SINGAPORE – Justices Judith Prakash and Tay Yong Kwang have been appointed as Judges of Appeal, with the former becoming the first woman to be appointed as a permanent judge of the Singapore Court of Appeal.
In addition, Mr Pang Khang Chau and Ms Audrey Lim…

Source link

Man gets five weeks’ jail for verbally abusing SCDF officers

0

SINGAPORE – Rushing down to 116 Ho Ching Road to respond to a call for assistance, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers arrived to find two men, one of whom was sitting on a stone chair and complaining of pain in his leg.
The man in pain, Mr…

Source link

Singapore leaders express condolences over Istanbul attacks

0

President Tony Tan Keng Yam and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday (Jun 29) wrote to Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim respectively to convey their condolences on the deadly terror attacks at Istanbul’s Ataturk International Airport on Tuesday.  

Source link

Man shouts at Singaporean woman in bus for being 'black', but no one intervenes

0

SINGAPORE – All she wanted to do was to take a public bus to Bukit Batok Interchange, but one commuter ended up being shouted at by a man who allegedly refused to sit near her because of the colour of her skin.

Identifying herself as Devaki Nadarajan, the woman wrote about her ordeal on Facebook, urging fellow Singaporeans to acknowledge that racism exists in the community, and to take the necessary steps to address it.

Her post has been shared over 4,500 times since Thursday (June 23), with many netizens expressing anger and sadness at what happened to her.

According to Ms Devaki, she had queued up before boarding bus service 945 on Thursday afternoon.

She then proceeded towards the rear of the bus and sat down on the left side of the aisle. A man, who appeared to be in his late thirties, then began to shout at her, ordering her to move to the front of the bus.

on Facebook

23 June 2016

Earlier today at around 1.30pm, I boarded bus 945 headed towards Bukit Batok Interchange. I queued just…

Posted by Devaki Nadarajan on Thursday, 23 June 2016

According to Ms Devaki, the man said: “You are black, go sit in front!”

Taken aback at first, Ms Devaki quickly collected her thoughts and told him: “I have paid my fare just like everyone else and I can choose to sit anywhere I like. What does this have to do with my skin colour?”

But the man refused to back down, continuing to rant on in full view of the other commuters. “You are black and I am not. I am brown, so you go sit in front,” he was quoted as saying.

When she refused to changed seats, the man appeared agitated and pointed at her “with aggressive gestures”.

He then claimed to be from Israel and said: “I am from Israel; is this how you speak to an Israeli?”

In her post, Ms Devaki said that the man repeated his first statement about her skin colour “many, many times” until they arrived at the interchange.

She also noted that other commuters did not intervene even as the man belittled her. When she approached the bus captain, she was told to lodge a complain with the service counter at the interchange instead.

But the incident had clearly left her shaken.

“I was strong throughout the entire bus ride but when the lady at the helpdesk asked me to recall and elaborate what had happened on the bus, I just broke down. It was utterly humiliating for me to explain myself and at the same time wonder how it is possible that being a female, dark complexioned Indian and a minority race in Singapore, be still subject to RACISM in 2016 (sic),” she wrote.

Before ending the post, Ms Devaki clarified that she was neither looking for sympathy nor hoping to tarnish the bus company’s reputation. Instead, she urged Singaporeans to stand up against racism in the country.

She said she wanted people to know that “racism is REAL in Singapore”.

“Today’s incident just created a shift within me and I felt that I do not need to tolerate such insensitivity from anyone,” she continued.

She also directed her comments at a fellow commuter who was in the bus with her child at the time.

“I hope you realise what you are subconsciously teaching your child. That it is okay for someone of a different (ethnicity) and skin colour to be verbally assaulted?”

“And to the NS guy seated just opposite the man who chose to ignore the whole situation and shut his eyes, oblivious the entire time the man was screaming at me – I hope you had a good power nap. Is this what national service is instilling in our young men now?”

She acknowledged that while not everyone can be a “hero”, Singapore would be a much better place to live in “if we could speak up and stand up for one another”.

“I am a woman, an Indian and above all, a Singaporean. This is my home and I refuse to be marginalised by the colour of my skin. I am dark by Asian standards and I pretty damn proud of it. Today I have been discriminated against due to the colour of my skin. Yesterday it was someone else, tomorrow it will be someone new. Young or old, slim or plump, fair or dark, racism has NO EXCUSE,” she said.

ljessica@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Wednesday, June 29, 2016 – 19:25
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

MOH monitoring rising number of salmonella cases

0

MOH is working with AVA and NEA to better understand the reasons behind the increase; salmonella could be spread through person-to-person contact, says a gastroenterologist.

Source link

McDonald's Singapore launches menu inspired by local flavours

0

From Thursday (Jun 30), McDonald’s Singapore will introduce the salted egg yolk chicken burger, Twist and Shake fries with salt and pepper crab-flavoured seasoning, as well as the Gula Melaka McFlurry to its menu. 

Source link