Home Blog Page 3527

Give celebs who 'sinned' 2nd chance: China official

BEIJING – Artists charged with drug abuse should be given a second chance when they return to society after serving their terms, said an official of China National Narcotics Control Commission.

In an interview with China News on the occasion of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, Lan Weihong, deputy director of the Office of China National Narcotics Control and Commission, said public figures, especially those in showbiz, have a big impact on youth.

“As a group, they shoulder more social responsibility.

“As celebrities, as the idols of our youth, they should set good examples, not just on the screen but also in their private lives.

“If our idols appear great on screen but do drugs in private, then they should not go on the screen in the first place,” said Mr Lan.

However, he did speak on behalf of those who have done wrong and called on society to give them second chances.

“We are a society ruled by law, and artists who do drugs will be punished according to the law, and by the media watchdog and Ministry of Culture. After that, if they comply with the regulations, they can perform again.

“The public has the right to choose as well. Viewers can choose to see or not see someone’s work; that’s perfectly normal,” he noted.

Beijing Trade Association for Performances announced last September that it would not hire any stars involved in drug abuse or prostitution following high-profile arrests of celebrities last year.

Jaycee, son of gongfu superstar Jackie Chan, and Kai Ko, who shot to fame for his role in the movie You Are The Apple Of My Eye, were charged with drug offences last year.

They have resumed their showbiz careers after serving their sentences.

For those charged with drug abuses and wanting to return to the stage, Mr Lan advised them to be as good as their words.

“Quit once and for all, stay away from drugs, and have the courage to come out to the public and admit your mistake and explain how you overcame the problem.

“If you hide, or go back on your words, you will be shunned,” said Mr Lan.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 08:56
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

US human trafficking report blacklists Myanmar

Washington – The United States on Thursday blacklisted eight more countries for failing to combat human trafficking, including fledgling democracy Myanmar, but was criticised for taking an easier line on Thailand.

Announcing the release of the State Department’s annual human trafficking report, Secretary of State John Kerry insisted the rankings were based on objective criteria, and not political favour.

But activists, while welcoming the designation of Myanmar and Uzbekistan to the worst category of wrongdoer, complained that US allies Thailand and Malaysia got off relatively lightly.

“There are some tough calls. In the end, they come down to an element of discretion, but not much, because we have a fixed set of rules that Congress had created, and we follow those rules,” Kerry said.

“The conclusions are based on facts and are based on a lot of analysis over the year,” he said.

Djibouti, Haiti, Papua New Guinea, Sudan, Suriname and Turkmenistan were also added to the now 26-strong blacklist of governments the State Department believes are not fighting people smuggling or slavery.

Kuwait and Thailand found themselves promoted from this “Tier 3” list of worst offenders to the “Tier 2 watch list” of countries making some kind of effort to combat the trade in persons but still under scrutiny.

Libya, Somalia and Yemen were judged special cases whose governments are in too much chaos to be judged.

Last year, the State Department was criticised for not including Myanmar on its Tier 3 list, amid allegations that Washington was turning a blind eye to slavery while encouraging a slow transition to democracy.

Myanmar held contested general elections last year won by the party of veteran rights activist and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, who now steers the country’s first civilian government.

Suu Kyi had spent a decade fighting corrupt military rule, and Washington has been keen to support her once pariah country on the slow road to democratic reform.

But much remains to be done, and the government has been accused of backsliding, particularly as regards the fate of the persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority.

This year’s report on Myanmar dubs it “a source country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labour and for women and children subjected to sex trafficking, both in Burma and abroad.”

People from across Myanmar are subject to abuse, but the report says “Rohingya individuals are particularly vulnerable to sex and labour trafficking in Rakhine State, including forced labour perpetrated by government authorities.” Myanmar has been on the “Tier 2 watch list” for four years – the maximum period it can be allowed under US law to improve its practices or be relegated to the third tier – which is what has now happened.

Washington had also been accused of taking too lenient an approach to Uzbekistan, where the government makes no attempt to hide the fact that it press-gangs civil servants into forced labour to harvest cotton.

This year report notes that “government-compelled forced labour of adults remains endemic during the annual cotton harvest” and concludes that the Uzbek government is not making any significant attempt to halt trafficking.

Human rights watchdogs welcomed the demotion of Myanmar and Uzbekistan, which they felt had been unfairly protected from scrutiny for political reasons in last year’s report, but expressed regret that Thailand and Malaysia were not also being held to account.

“We’re encouraged by the State Department’s decision to downgrade Burma – that was a country that we were paying pretty close attention to,” said Kristen Abrams, acting director of anti-trafficking umbrella group ATEST.

“We’re also equally encouraged by the right of last year’s wrong on Uzbekistan, a country that has state orchestrated forced labour,” she said.

But watchdogs remain concerned that Washington is going easy on its allies in Southeast Asia, where the fishing industry in particular is regularly accused of using forced labour in inhumane conditions at sea.

“Starting with Thailand, we have seen some willingness to reform some of their laws, but it’s not made any significant impact on the ground,” Abrams said.

“With Malaysia, we know that they were moved up last year for political reasons. It was unjustified then and it remains unjustified today,” she said, citing a failure to investigate mass graves.

The report notes that: “Discoveries of migrant camps and mass graves along the border with Thailand in 2015 generated reports some officials were complicit in facilitating migrant smuggling, which may have included trafficking crimes.”

But it concludes that Malaysia is “making significant efforts” to meet minimum standards to fight the crime.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 08:58
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Resale prices for HDB flats up 0.1% in Q2

The HDB plans to launch about 5,000 Build-To-Order (BTO) flats in August in Hougang, Sembawang, Tampines and Yishun. 

Source link

Taiwan plane crash caused by engine fault and pilot error

TAIPEI – A plane crash in Taiwan that killed 43 people when it plunged into a river was caused by engine failure and flight crew mistakes, a final investigation report found.

TransAsia Airways flight GE235 clipped a bridge and plunged into a river shortly after take-off from Taipei’s Songshan airport in February last year with 53 passengers and five crew.

Only 15 people survived.

Earlier findings by the Aviation Safety Council last year revealed the pilot had shut down the only working engine, exclaiming “Wow, pulled back wrong throttle”, seconds before the crash.

The council released the final, more detailed, report yesterday, which said the accident “was the result of many contributing factors which culminated in a stall-induced loss of control”.

One of the engines was malfunctioning shortly after the plane took off.

“The flight crew did not perform the documented abnormal and emergency procedures to identify the failure and implement the required corrective actions,” it said.

This led the pilot to shut down the other engine.

The pilot had previously failed a simulator test for engine failure on take-off but passed on a retake.

TransAsia has seen several accidents in recent years that have raised concern about the airline’s safety standards.

Two air traffic control officers were charged in April over a crash in the Penghu islands in 2014 that killed 49.

They, along with the plane’s two pilots, were found to have been “negligent in their duties”, prosecutors said.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 08:39
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

China movie spin-off of Descendants Of The Sun

Descendants of the Sun, the South Korean drama that took the world by storm this year, will be heading to the big screen in China.

Acclaimed Chinese director Zhang Yibai has been appointed to supervise the production of the movie adaptation, reported China Radio International’s English Service yesterday.

At a press conference in Beijing on Tuesday, he indicated that the public expectations for the film will be high.

“I feel big pressure since the TV drama series Descendants Of The Sun is already a big hit with very charming male and female protagonists,” he was quoted as saying.

“I think the production of a film should not only take advantage of the powerful popularity of the television series but also see some improvement,” he added.

The 53-year-old’s directorial works include The Longest Night In Shanghai (2007), starring Vicki Zhao, which was one of the first China-Japan movie co-productions.

In 2008, Zhang’s family drama film Lost, Indulgence was screened at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York.

The cast of the upcoming film has not been decided yet.

In the original 16-episode drama by KBS2, the lead roles are played by Song Joong Ki and actress Song Hye Kyo.

The story is about a Special Forces unit captain who is sent on a peacekeeping mission to a fictional war-torn nation.

There, he meets and falls in love with a surgeon working in a voluntary organisation.

It was a massive hit in South Korea and abroad, especially China, breaking viewership records. The show was filmed in Greece for about a month in September last year.

Following the show’s success, there was talk of a spin-off movie.

In April, the production company behind Descendants, NEW, confirmed that it had received inquiries on remakes and optional publication rights, according to Yibada news website.

The firm said it had been in discussions with overseas companies. “It is true that we have negotiated with several companies,” Naven TV quoted the representative as saying.

The production company is apparently also keen to have the remake of the series in other countries.

Meanwhile, a second season of the drama in South Korea is being considered for next year, according to Soompi, an entertainment website.

But both leads are said to be busy and might not reprise their roles.


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 08:14
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Chinese Descendants Of The Sun movie spin-off: Cast not yet decided
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

New Philippine President Duterte vows deadly crime war

Manila – Authoritarian firebrand Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as the Philippines’ president Thursday – and quickly launched a foul-mouthed vow to wipe out drug traffickers and even urged ordinary Filipinos to kill addicts.

Duterte, 71, won last month’s election in a landslide after a campaign dominated by threats to kill tens of thousands of criminals in a relentless war on crime, and tirades against the nation’s elite that cast him as an incendiary, anti-establishment hero.

After a measured speech after taking his oath before a small audience inside the presidential palace, the outspoken leader paid an evening visit to a Manila slum and unleashed profanity-laden threats against drug traffickers in front of a crowd of about 500 people.

“These sons of whores are destroying our children. I warn you, don’t go into that, even if you’re a policeman, because I will really kill you,” the head of state told the audience.

“If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful.” Duterte has previously alleged some police officers were engaged in drug trafficking.

Repeating a favourite campaign refrain, the new president also said it would make good business sense to set up funeral parlours.

“I assure you you won’t go bankrupt. If your business slows I will tell the police, ‘Do it faster to help the people earn money.'”

In his speech earlier at the Malacanang presidential palace, as he took over from Benigno Aquino, Duterte had given notice there would indeed be dark days during his six years in office.

“The ride will be rough but come join me just the same,” Duterte said in his remarks, which opened with familiar themes about the need to instil discipline in a graft-infested society.

“The problems that bedevil our country today which need to be addressed with urgency are corruption, both in the high and low echelons in government, criminality in the streets and the rampant sale of illegal drugs in all strata of Philippine society and the breakdown of law and order.”

Duterte, a lawyer who earned a reputation as an authoritarian figure as mayor of the southern city of Davao over most of the past two decades, said these problems were symptoms of eroding Filipino faith in their leaders.

He had previously outlined a vision for his anti-crime programme that included reintroducing the death penalty, with hanging his preferred method of execution.

He said he would issue shoot-to-kill orders to the security services and offer them bounties for the bodies of drug dealers. He also urged ordinary Filipinos to kill suspected criminals.

During the campaign, Duterte said 100,000 people would die in his crackdown, with so many dead bodies dumped in Manila Bay that fish there would grow fat from feeding on them.

He has been accused of links to vigilante death squads in Davao, which rights groups say have killed more than 1,000 people.

Such groups are concerned that extrajudicial killings could spread across the Philippines under him, with a police crackdown following his election already leaving dozens of people dead.

Duterte said at the presidential palace on Thursday his fight against crime would be “relentless and sustained”, as he called on human rights monitors and critics in Congress to respect the mandate the Filipino people have given him.

But he also insisted he would work within the boundaries of the law.

“As a lawyer and former prosecutor, I know the limits of the power and authority of the president. I know what is legal and what is not. My adherence to due process and rule of law is uncompromising,” he said.

Duterte also sought to portray himself as unifying figure.

“I was elected to the presidency to serve the entire country. I was not elected to serve the interest of any person or any group or any one class,” Duterte said.

During the election campaign, Duterte picked fights with the envoys of key allies the United States and Australia after they criticised his joke about wanting to rape a “beautiful” Australian missionary who was sexually assaulted and killed in a Davao prison riot.

After his election win, Duterte also launched a seemingly unprovoked attack against the United Nations.

“F*** you UN, you can’t even solve the Middle East carnage… couldn’t even lift a finger in Africa (with the) butchering (of) the black people. Shut up all of you,” he said.

On Thursday, Duterte offered a muted message of friendship to the international community.

“On the international front and community of nations, let me reiterate that the Republic of the Philippines will honour treaties and international obligations,” he said.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 07:52
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

K-pop's JYJ member Park Yu Chun summoned over alleged sexual assault, apologises to public

0

SEOUL – South Korean police on Thursday (June 30) questioned Park Yu Chun, a member of K-pop boy band JYJ, over his sexual assault allegations which have been rocking the local entertainment scene, Yonhap News Agency reported.

The 30-year-old singer-actor appeared at the Gangnam Police Station in southern Seoul about three weeks after he was first sued over allegedly raping a woman working at a local bar.

“First of all, I am very sorry for causing many people concern,” he told reporters before entering the office, adding he would fully co-operate with the investigation.

He declined to answer any other questions over the allegations, Yonhap reported.

The woman is identified in reports as a Ms Lee who works in a nightspot.

In the police report filed by her boyfriend, she claimed that the assault happened in a bathroom of a room where she and Park had been drinking together, reported Yonhap.

She handed over her underwear as evidence.

She said she and Park did not know each other previously.

CCTV footage from the bar’s hallway did not reveal anything significant, said police, adding that they will summon the two for questioning.

Park’s agency C-Jes Entertainment denied the allegations earlier. In a statement, it called the accusation “malicious threats” aimed at damaging a celebrity’s reputation.

It said it would work with the police to uncover the truth.

Park emigrated to the United States as a child but returned to South Korea after he was talent-scouted. He joined K-pop boy band TVXQ in 2003. Following a contract dispute, he and two other TVXQ members, Kim Jun Su and Kim Jae Joon, formed JYJ.


This article was first published on June 30, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 07:46
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

When dads become demons

0

He drank and she feared his temper.

The girl was watching television at night when she received a WhatsApp message from her father…

Source link

Ng Eng Hen: SAF must do more with less

0

With the help of technology, the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) can do more with less, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen told the media in his annual SAF Day interview on Tuesday.

That is the direction the Army will take to overcome…

Source link

Learn from humble Bale, Hazard

0

QUARTER-FINAL

WALES v BELGIUM

(Tomorrow, 2.50am, Singtel TV Ch 142 & StarHub TV Ch 220 – Eleven EURO)

Eden Hazard believes he’s returning to his spiritual home. Gareth Bale…

Source link