Home Blog Page 3525

Legal disputes continue between S.M. and ex-EXO members in China

S.M. Entertainment is continuing its legal battles with K-pop artists Kris, Luhan and Tao.

The agency asserts the current entertainment activities of the three ex-EXO members in China violated their exclusive contracts with S.M.

EXO, a boy group consisting of both Chinese and Korean members, has been continuing as a nine-member team since Kris and Luhan left the group in 2014 and Tao followed suit the following year.

Kris and Luhan had lodged lawsuits against the nation’s largest entertainment agency in 2014, seeking to nullify their contracts with the entertainment agency. Tao also parted with the company in August 2015.

Kris was quoted as saying in a local interview in 2014, “S.M. treated me as a commodity or someone to control. Also, the company’s dealings with and distribution of profits are not transparent.” He asserts that he was thus enmeshed in financial straits despite his very busy schedule. Kris also accused S.M. of neglecting his health issues when making schedules for EXO’s concerts and events.

In January this year, S.M. won one of their countersuits against Tao. The agency had sued the former member for not repaying the company after leaving S.M. and breaching their exclusive contracts by engaging in individual promotions in China.

The agency had litigated 14 lawsuits against companies that organised the entertainment activities of Kris, Luhan and Tao after they left EXO. All the cases were officially drafted by the courts of the relevant Chinese regions as of last Friday.

S.M. Entertainment had announced, “Kris, Luhan and Tao remain artists of our agency until a legal verdict is reached. All their (entertainment) activities prior to the verdict are illegal.”

This is not the first time S.M. Entertainment has been mired in a legal dispute with an artist. Han Geng, a former Chinese member of Super Junior, had also filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment in 2009 in order to terminate his contract with the agency. Han stated that the company had treated him in an unfair and excessively overbearing manner and denied him sick leave, which led him to suffer from kidney ailments. Han and S.M. Entertainment reached a mutual agreement in 2011. Han is currently working as a solo artist in China.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 12:06
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Pilot error identified as primary cause of deadly Taipei crash

TAIPEI, Taiwan — Human error was the main cause of last year’s TransAsia Airways crash, an Aviation Safety Council (ASC) investigation has concluded.

The investigation report, which was released Thursday, also showed that a problem occurred in the plane’s second engine shortly after takeoff. Pilot Liao Chien-tsung attempted to restart the second engine but mistakenly shut off the first engine, sending the plane down, according to the report.

The ASC cited a faulty autofeather unit as the probable cause of the second engine’s malfunction. ASC officials said they asked engine-maker Pratt & Whitney Canada Corp. and aircraft manufacturer ATR to evaluate the risks posed by the PW127 aircraft engine’s autofeather unit.

The findings confirm suspicions shortly after the incident that the pilot had restarted the wrong engine.

Liao, who died in the crash, was lauded as a hero for saving countless lives by manoeuvring the rapidly descending plane away from the densely populated Neihu District into the river.

Flight GE235 had been heading from Taipei’s Songshan airport to Kinmen, but crashed into the Keelung River shortly after takeoff on Feb. 4, 2015. Forty-three people died and 15 were injured in the crash.

TransAsia Airways Chairman Vincent Lin said he respected the investigation’s findings and will continue improving the airline’s flight safety.

According to the airline, it has settled disputes with 70 per cent of the deceased victims’ families, offering nearly NT$15 million in compensation for each loss of life. Lin said TransAsia agains offers its deepest apologies, and said it is thanks to the understanding and forgiveness of the family members that settlement agreements have been reached with most of the families.

Lin vowed to continue in upholding the highest standards, with safety as the highest priority.

“We hope to show the public that we have strong determination to maintain flight safety. Zero tolerance and zero compromise (on safety issues).”

CAA Urged to Step Up Their Monitoring Game

In the report, the ASC called out the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) for failing to sufficiently monitor TransAsia Airways’ operations, particularly since the airline’s Flight GE222 had just crashed in the outlying Penghu Islands seven months prior.

The incident occurred despite the CAA having assessed TransAsia after the Penghu crash, which showed the administration had not effectively monitored and identified safety risks at the airline, said ASC officials.

According to local media, the CAA responded that it has demanded TransAsia carry out health checks to ensure pilots and cabin crew are not overworked, set up a comprehensive safety management system, and reassess annual pilot training and tests.

CAA officials said TransAsia has made improvements in all 67 areas international flight safety experts previously advised, and would continue to carefully monitor airline safety.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 11:55
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Imagine Dragons, Halsey join lineup at Singapore Grand Prix

The acts join Australian popstar Kylie Minogue, British rock band Queen American Idol alumni Adam Lambert, American a cappella group Pentatonix, British indie rock band Bastille and 70s disco icon KC and the Sunshine Band at the Singapore Grand Prix.

Source link

Imagine Dragons and Halsey complete Padang Stage shows for this year’s S’pore F1

SINGAPORE – Organisers of the 2016 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix have announced the main acts for the Padang stage on race day.
Race promoter Singapore GP said on Friday (July 1) that Imagine Dragons and Halsey would be the headliners…

Source link

Istana opens doors for Hari Raya Puasa

SINGAPORE – The Istana grounds, excluding the Istana Lawn, will be open to the public on July 6, from 8.30am to 6pm, in celebration of Hari Raya Puasa, the President’s Office said in a statement on Friday (July 1). The Istana Lawn is closed to facilitate…

Source link

Actress Rui En fined $700 for careless driving

SINGAPORE – Actress Rui En was fined $700 after pleading guilty to one charge of careless driving on Friday (July 1), local media reported.

The 35-year-old had failed to control her black BMW, which mounted a kerb before knocking into a stationary motorcycle in a car park at Block 331, Clementi Avenue 2 on April 12.

According to Channel NewsAsia, the prosecution had sought a fine of between $600 and $800, as well as disqualification from driving for three to four months.

An individual found guilty of driving without due care and attention may be jailed for up to six months and/or fined up to $1,000.

The incident made headlines when Lianhe Wanbao reported that she allegedly asked Mr Bahrom Sarmiten, the owner of the motorcycle, “Do you know who I am?” when he confronted her.

He claimed that she attempted to drive away instead of stopping after crashing into his vehicle, and also alleged that she smelled of alcohol.

The Straits Times reported that the actress took a breathalyser test before she was taken away for police investigations.

minlee@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Friday, July 1, 2016 – 09:42
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Istana to open doors to public for Hari Raya Puasa

Visitors can look forward to highlights such as a bird display, balloon sculpting and music performances.

Source link

Rui En fined $700, no driving ban

Local TV actress Rui En, 35, was fined $700 on Friday (July 1) for driving without due care and attention.

The accident happened on April 12 at…

Source link

Fish & Co New Salted Egg Fish & Chips & Prawns Deluxe from 29 Jun 2016

Fish & Co new salted egg creations

Fish & Co New Salted Egg Fish & Chips & Prawns Deluxe from 29 Jun 2016

Fish & Co’s signature Fish & Chips just got more golden with some salted egg lovin’! It’s not just the sauce. Dig deeper and delight yourself with a salted egg core

Source

Triple Three 1-for-1 Daily Lunch Buffet for UOB Cardmembers from 1 Jul – 31 Oct 2016

Triple Three 1-for-1 lunch buffet EVERYDAY for UOB cardmembers till 31 Oct

Not a UOB cardmember? Share this & find someone as each cardmember can bring up to 8 guests!

Triple Three 1-for-1 Daily Lunch Buffet for UOB Cardmembers from 1 Jul – 31 Oct 2016

Enjoy 1-for-1 Lunch Buffet (Mon-Sun) at Triple Three Mandarin Orchard Singapore with UOB Cards. Triple Three boasts an extensive Japanese-inspired international buffet featuring the freshest sashimi and much more

Source