Home Blog Page 3516

NBA: 'Linsanity' returns to New York as free agency opens

NEW YORK – Jeremy Lin is heading back to New York while Australian Matthew Dellavedova and Russian Timofey Mozgov will leave the champion Cleveland Cavaliers for big-money deals as NBA free agency began Friday.

Among the top players making rich deals in the first hours of free agency were Dwight Howard with Atlanta, Joakim Noah with the New York Knicks and DeMar DeRozan with Toronto.

Players and teams can agree to terms on deals but no official contracts can be signed until late next week, leaving only reports that teams cannot confirm.

LeBron James, who led Cleveland to the NBA crown last month, opted out of his contract but has said he will sign again with the Cavaliers, a new one-year deal that would set the stage for a rich long-term contract next year when new television money will send salaries skyrocketing.

Four-time NBA scoring champion and former NBA Most Valuable Player Kevin Durant, the most prized talent seen as up for grabs, began listening to offers Thursday when the Oklahoma City Thunder tried to convince him to stay.

The Golden State Warriors made their pitch Friday, led by coach Steve Kerr and NBA MVP Stephen Curry, in hopes of luring Durant to the team that won last year’s title and fell one game short this year.

Lin, the NBA’s first US player of Chinese or Taiwanese heritage, agreed to a three-year deal with the Brooklyn Nets worth a reported US$36 million (S$48.4 million) with a fourth-year player option.

That’s after the point guard declined a US$2.2 million offer to return to Charlotte for next season.

“The journey continues… thankful for the next chapter!!” tweeted Lin with an image of himself in a Brooklyn uniform in front of the team logo.

“Thank you hornets for the opportunity last year… I’ll miss you BuzzCity.”

Lin, 27, was a seldom-used reserve with the Knicks in 2012 until injuries to several starters gave him a chance to play.

He sparked New York to seven wins in a row, including late game-winning shots and pinpoint passing to set up teammates in an epic 7-0 run known as “Linsanity.”

Lin spent the next two seasons with Houston and another campaign with the Los Angeles Lakers before joining Charlotte last year.

Dellavedova, a reserve guard, agreed to an offer sheet with the Milwaukee Bucks worth US$38.4 million over four years, ESPN reported.

The Cavaliers have three days to match the offer once signed if they want to keep Dellavedova, but the report said the Bucks, who also made a three-year deal worth US$30 million with Bosnian forward Mirza Teletovic, were confident the Cavs will not match.

James tweeted farewell messages to Dellavedova and Mosgov.

“Congrats to my brother on his deal! Good luck in Milwaukee! Very deserving to you and your family,” James said to the Aussie.

“Congrats to my brother Big fella Mozzie on the deal with the Lakers!! Enjoy LA. Dinner on you,” he tweeted to Mozgov.

Russian big man Mozgov reached a verbal agreement on a four-year deal with the Lakers worth $64 million, according to multiple reports, which also had shooting guard Jordan Clarkson on a four-year pact with the Lakers.

The Knicks reportedly have agreed a four-year deal worth US$72 million with Noah, 31, who has spent his entire NBA career with the Chicago Bulls. The son of French tennis legend Yannick will reunite with former Bulls teammate Derrick Rose.

Howard joined his fourth NBA club, the 30-year-old center agreeing to a three-year deal worth US$70.5 million with the Atlanta Hawks, his hometown team.

Howard, an eight-time All-Star and three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, has averaged 17.8 points and 12.7 rebounds in his career with Orlando, the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston, for whom he averaged 13.7 points and 11.8 rebounds a game last season.

French free agent forward Nicolas Batum agreed to a five-year deal for US$120 million to stay with Charlotte, according to multiple media reports.

“We got a deal! BuzzCity,” Batum tweeted.

Another Frenchman, guard Evan Fournier, made a deal reportedly worth US$85 million over five years to stay with Orlando.

Hassan Whiteside returned to the Miami Heat, saying on the Players Tribune website he is agreeing to terms on a four-year contract worth US$98 million.

“I played on eight teams since college,” Whiteside said. “I’m not ready for there to be a ninth.”

Whiteside, who was reportedly offered a five-year deal from the Dallas Mavericks, led the NBA with 3.4 blocked shots a game last season.

Portland made a deal to pay US$70 million over four years to swingman Evan Turner, who posted on Instagram: “Boston, this was definitely one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever made.”

DeRozan and the Toronto Raptors agreed to terms on a reported deal that could be worth US$139-$145 million over six years.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, July 2, 2016 – 09:46
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Bangladesh commandos prepare to storm Dhaka hostage cafe

Dhaka – Heavily armed Bangladeshi commandos were early Saturday preparing to storm a Dhaka restaurant where suspected Islamist militants were holding dozens of people hostage after a deadly firefight with police, officials said.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack Friday night on the Holey Artisan Bakery restaurant in the capital’s upmarket Gulshan diplomatic quarter in which two police officers were killed.

Heavily armed army and navy commandos arrived at the scene as the security forces prepared to storm the two-storey compound to break the nine-hour siege, a security official said.

“It could happen within the next hour,” he said.

Police chiefs, however, said they were still trying to establish contact with the attackers in a bid “to rescue everyone without any harm”.

Police said the gunmen burst in shouting “Allahu Akbar” (God is the Greatest) as people were having dinner at around 9:20 pm (1520 GMT) and set off explosives.

Italy’s ambassador Mario Palma told Italian state television seven Italians were among the hostages.

“There is no desire to negotiate,” he said of the attackers. “It’s a suicide mission.” Some diners managed to escape including an Argentine chef and a Bangladeshi man who took refuge in an adjacent building, but police said there were still a number of people being held inside the restaurant hours after the assault.

“Some people are being held at gunpoint,” said Monirul Islam, chief of the police Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit.

Some managed to speak to relatives by phone, reporting there were up to 40 people trapped inside, around half of them foreigners, the private Ekattur TV station said.

Another told relatives he feared they would be killed if police tried to storm the restaurant to end the siege.

“He is very nervous,” the man’s uncle, who had spoken to him by phone, told AFP.

“He urged the police not to storm the restaurant, saying the gunmen will kill them.” The White House said US President Barack Obama had been briefed on the attack, a rare occurrence in an area of Dhaka considered relatively safe.

The restaurant’s supervisor Sumon Reza who escaped by jumping from the roof told a local newspaper there were 20 foreigners being held hostage.

“I was in the roof. The whole building was shaking when they set off explosives,” he said.

Bangladesh has been reeling from a wave of murders of foreigners, religious minorities and secular activists by suspected Islamist militants.

But those murders generally only involved a handful of assailants and the latest attack appears to have been on a much bigger scale and the first time that people were held hostage.

The IS-linked Aamaq news agency said the group was behind the attack and that “more than 20 people of different nationalities (were) killed”.

Heavily armed police and paramilitary guards cordoned off the area after the gunfight broke out.

“Two police officers including the head of Banani police station were killed. It appeared they were hit by bullets and splinters from a grenade,” deputy commissioner of Dhaka police Sheikh Nazmul Alam told AFP.

“Up to 20 police officers were injured. Seven-eight people have come out of the restaurant. But there are some people inside.” The attack took place near the Nordic Club, where expatriates gather, and the Qatari, Italian and Egyptian embassies as Bangladesh observes the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

French ambassador Sophie Aubert said the restaurant was “very popular” with diplomats and other foreigners in Dhaka.

“We’re very concerned that there are some hostages inside,” she told AFP.

It follows a series of killings targeting foreigners in Bangladesh that have been claimed by the Islamic State group.

Earlier Friday a Hindu temple worker was hacked to death in western Bangladesh.

Police also shot dead two Islamist students suspected in last month’s murder of a Hindu priest and arrested a top Islamist militant who masterminded an attack on a Hindu lecturer last month.

The government and police blame homegrown militants for the killings, which they say are part of a plot to destabilise the country.

They have blamed the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its Islamist ally.

Last month authorities launched a nationwide crackdown on local jihadist groups, arresting more than 11,000 people, under pressure to act on the spate of killings.

But many rights groups allege the arrests were arbitrary or were a way to silence political opponents of the government.

Experts say a government crackdown on opponents, including a ban on the country’s largest Islamist party following a protracted political crisis, has pushed many towards extremism.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, July 2, 2016 – 09:51
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Boy dashes among vehicles on Balestier Road, nearly hit by passing car

SINGAPORE – A passing car nearly knocked down a child who was running in between vehicles on Balestier Road on Wednesday (June 29).

A video of the incident was posted on Roads.sg, a traffic community page, on Friday.

It has been watched more than 15,000 times and shared more than 350 times as of Friday evening.

The video starts off by showing a young boy running from the left of the road, cutting across the first and second lanes.

There are many cars on the road waiting for a change in traffic lights, and he is hidden by them as he runs from lane to lane.

As he dashes out from the second lane, a car on the rightmost lane almost crashes into him.

An accident is avoided only because the boy leaps to the left while the car brakes and swerves slightly to the right.

The boy then runs back to the left of the road, passing in front of the car recording the entire incident.

on Facebook

Wow! That was wayyyy too close. Parents please educate your child not to dash in between vehicles when there is traffic….

Posted by Roads.sg on Thursday, 30 June 2016

The Facebook post accompanying the video stated: “Wow! That was wayyyy too close. Parents please educate your child not to dash in between vehicles when there is traffic.”

Roads.sg added: “We give credit and salute the driver of the grey car. Thanks for being very alert and avoided an accident. Keep up your good defensive driving skills.”

Many readers commented on the thread, saying that the boy’s behaviour was dangerous.

The same video was also uploaded on YouTube on Friday.


This article was first published on July 1, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, July 2, 2016 – 09:25
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Gunmen storm Dhaka cafe, take diners hostage

Dhaka – Gunmen stormed a crowded restaurant popular with foreigners in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka on Friday night, taking dozens of people hostage and triggering a deadly firefight with police, witnesses and officials said.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack on the Holey Artisan Bakery restaurant in Dhaka’s upmarket Gulshan diplomatic quarter in which two police officers were killed.

Police said the gunmen burst in shouting “Allahu Akbar” (God is the Greatest) as people were having dinner at around 9.20 pm (1520 GMT) and set off explosives.

Police said the men appeared to be Islamist militants.

Some diners managed to escape including an Argentine chef and a Bangladeshi man who took refuge in an adjacent building, but police said there were still a number of people being held inside the restaurant hours after the assault.

“Some people are being held at gunpoint,” said Monirul Islam, chief of the police Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime Unit.

Some managed to speak to relatives by phone, reporting there were up to 40 people trapped inside, around half of them foreigners, the private Ekattur TV station said.

Another told relatives he feared they would be killed if police tried to storm the restaurant to end the siege.

“He is very nervous,” the man’s nephew, who had spoken to him by phone, told AFP.

“He urged the police not to storm the restaurant, saying the gunmen will kill them.” The White House said US President Barack Obama had been briefed on the attack, a rare occurrence in an area of Dhaka considered relatively safe.

“We are trying to communicate with them (gunmen). We want to resolve it peacefully,” the head of Bangladesh’s elite security force Benazir Ahmed told reporters.

The restaurant’s supervisor Sumon Reza who escaped by jumping from the roof told a local newspaper there were 20 foreigners being held hostage.

“I was in the roof. The whole building was shaking when they set off explosives,” he said.

Bangladesh has been reeling from a wave of murders of foreigners, religious minorities and secular activists by suspected Islamist militants.

But those murders generally only involved a handful of assailants and the latest attack appears to have been on a much bigger scale and the first time that people were held hostage.

The IS-linked Aamaq news agency said the group was behind the attack and that “more than 20 people of different nationalities (were) killed”.

Heavily armed police and paramilitary guards cordoned off the area after the gunfight broke out.

“Two police officers including the head of Banani police station were killed. It appeared they were hit by bullets and splinters from a grenade,” deputy commissioner of Dhaka police Sheikh Nazmul Alam told AFP.

“Up to 20 police officers were injured. Seven-eight people have come out of the restaurant. But there are some people inside.” Dhaka Police chief Asaduzzaman Miah said police were trying to establish contact with the hostage takers in a bid “to rescue everyone without any harm”.

The attack took place near the Nordic Club, where expatriates gather, and the Qatari, Italian and Egyptian embassies as Bangladesh observes the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The French Ambassador Sophie Aubert said the restaurant was “very popular” among diplomats and other foreigners in Dhaka.

“We’re very concerned that there are some hostages inside,” she told AFP, adding she was trying to confirm whether there were foreigners inside.

It follows a series of killings targeting foreigners in Bangladesh that have been claimed by the Islamic State group.

Earlier Friday a Hindu temple worker was hacked to death in western Bangladesh.

Police also shot dead two Islamist students suspected in last month’s murder of a Hindu priest and arrested a top Islamist militant who masterminded an attack on a Hindu lecturer last month.

The government and police blame homegrown militants for the killings, which they say are part of a plot to destabilise the country.

They have blamed the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its Islamist ally.

Last month authorities launched a nationwide crackdown on local jihadist groups, arresting more than 11,000 people, under pressure to act on the spate of killings.

But many rights groups allege the arrests were arbitrary or were a way to silence political opponents of the government.

Experts say a government crackdown on opponents, including a ban on the country’s largest Islamist party following a protracted political crisis, has pushed many towards extremism.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, July 2, 2016 – 08:48
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Will naming & shaming improve safety?

He was working at the bottom of a shaft at a sewer project worksite at Maxwell Road when disaster struck.

Equipment hoisted by a nearby crane suddenly slipped from the lifting slings and tumbled into the shaft, hitting and…

Source link

Portugal must improve, or implode

QUARTER-FINAL

POLAND 1

(Robert Lewandowski 2)

PORTUGAL 1

(Renato Sanches 33)

  • After extra-time, Portugal win 5-3 on penalties

It…

Source link

Conte – the complete coach

After months holed up in his “garage”, Italy coach Antonio Conte has been finally able to smell the grass and he is relishing every minute of it.

Conte, who spends matches ranting incessantly at his players and the referee…

Source link

Complete Conte

After months holed up in his “garage”, Italy coach Antonio Conte has been finally able to smell the grass and he is relishing every minute of it.

Conte, who spends matches ranting incessantly at his players and the referee…

Source link

Former SAF Lieutenant-colonel jailed for vice

He was a high ranking lieutenant-colonel in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).

But when night fell, Emlyn Thomas Thariyan slipped on another face – that of a pimp.

Under his command was a group of five prostitutes who…

Source link

Poland team rally around Kuba

QUARTER-FINAL

POLAND 1

(Robert Lewandowski 2)

PORTUGAL 1

(Renato Sanches 33)

● 1-1 after extra time. 
Portugal win 5-3 on penalties.



Source link