Home Blog Page 3513

Ferrero Rocher, Ruffles Potato Chips & More 3-Day Offers at Cold Storage from 1 – 3 Jul 2016

Cold Storage 3-Day offers – Box of 24pc Ferrero Rocher chocolates at $10.85 after discount (Till 3 July)

Ferrero Rocher, Ruffles Potato Chips & More 3-Day Offers at Cold Storage from 1 – 3 Jul 2016

Save $4.65 on a box of 24-piece Ferrero Rocher chocolates at Cold Storage till 3 July 2016. Check the image below for more 3-day offers

Source

S’pore ‘strongly condemns’ Dhaka terror attack; no reports of S’poreans injured

DHAKA/SINGAPORE – Singapore “strongly condemns” the terrorist attack on an upscale Dhaka restaurant, said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) on Saturday (July 2).

Bangladeshi forces stormed the restaurant to end a hostage-taking by heavily armed militants…

Source link

$15m boost for Changi passenger services

More travellers will have access to self-service check-in, bag tagging and aircraft boarding at Changi Airport.

In an ongoing push for automation and to boost productivity, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) announced yesterday that it will invest $15 million over the next four years to help airlines defray some of the costs of the initiative.

Seven out of 10 travellers at Changi Airport already have access to self-service options.

Speaking at an annual networking event for the aviation community held at ITE College East, Senior Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo said that as Changi Airport continues to grow, safety and security will be important focus areas.

To integrate safety management activities across all industry players, CAAS will develop a State Safety Programme.

This is a new initiative led globally by the United Nations’ International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).

The aim is to provide more holistic oversight of safety management carried out by the airport operator, air navigation service providers, airlines, and aircraft maintenance and repair firms.

Mrs Teo said: “I hope the aviation community will give your utmost support to CAAS for the State Safety Programme, so we can together weave a tighter safety net.”

More details of the programme will be announced later.

On security, Mrs Teo said: “Even with the best of efforts, we will not be free from the scourge of terrorism, as Tuesday’s attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport and the attack at Brussels airport earlier this year grimly remind us.”

Even before the Istanbul attack, travellers would have noticed an increased security presence and checks within Changi Airport, she said.

“We expect to further strengthen security measures and will need the aviation community’s understanding and full cooperation.”

Security considerations will be woven into the design of new terminals.

At Terminal 4 for example, self-service check-in kiosks will be equipped with biometric features.

Ultimately, security is “a shared responsibility” and for Changi to remain safe, everyone must play his or her part, she stressed.

Besides investing $15 million in passenger services, CAAS and Changi Airport Group will spend more than $20 million over the next six years to equip the airside with Wi-Fi services.

This will help ground handling staff, for example, work more efficiently and productively.

karam@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on July 2, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 00:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Tower Transit first to use LTA system to track buses

While some commuters living in the west have not noticed much difference since Anglo-Australian firm Tower Transit took over bus services in the area in May, others reckon service has improved.

Tower Transit, which won the first government bus contract a year ago, is now running all 26 bus routes under the Bulim package.

Student Jasmin Yusof, 18, felt that the buses ply more slowly than before, but said waiting time is now shorter.

“At least I know I don’t have to wait so long for the next bus if I miss one,” she said.

Mrs Ong Siow Hua, 33, recalled how a Tower Transit bus driver waited for her to reach the bus even though she was a distance away.

“Previously I think the drivers would have just driven off and left me to wait for the next one, which could take more than 10 minutes sometimes,” she said.

“He only spent 20 seconds to wait for me, but he really made my day.”

Mr Ananda Selvam, who works in the IT industry, usually takes bus Service 66 to work and said he did not notice the handover initially.

“Some of the buses are still painted in the SBS colours, and the interiors remain unchanged,” he said.

“But if commuters don’t notice anything, it’s good because that means things are running smoothly. People will only make noise if something goes wrong.”

Tower Transit took over nine bus routes on May 29, another six on June 12, and the final 11 on June 26.

Yesterday, the bus operator showed reporters its Common Fleet Management System. It is the first here to use the Land Transport Authority’s (LTA) new system, which tracks buses in real time and indicates services that are experiencing “bunching”.

The LTA spent $68 million on the new unified system built by ST Electronics (Info-Comm Systems) and Trapeze Switzerland.

It will be used by all bus operators from the end of next year.

At the bus operations control centre in Bulim depot, seven service controllers sit before computer terminals with two or more screens, occasionally issuing instructions over the communications system.

Working in shifts, each service controller manages about 50 buses at any one time.

The team of 20 is responsible for ensuring that Tower Transit’s fleet of 322 buses runs smoothly, and that waiting times are kept as consistent as possible.

“The scheduled departure times may be adjusted by the service controllers depending on what’s happening on the road,” said Mr Stuart Thomas, Tower Transit’s operations director.

“Waiting time intervals are more important than the fixed timings, for high frequency buses, which account for the majority of our routes,” he said.

Even so, he added that timetables will still be taken into account, especially for lower frequency services which passengers expect to arrive at specific times.

Mr Andrew Bjutor, managing director of Tower Transit, said the first month of operations had been “very good”, but there was always room for improvement.

He added: “We have a wealth of experience that we’ve gained from the Bulim bus package, and we remain very interested in bidding for the upcoming Seletar bus package.”

rkurohi@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on July 2, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 00:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

80-year-old wins first prize at photo contest

Just over a month ago, 80-year-old Madam Vengadasalam Maniammal, affectionately known as Aunty Mani, had never used a camera phone.

Now she is a prize-winning photographer.

The Ren Ci Nursing Home resident entered a competition organised by the hospital of the same name in which residents were paired with members of the instaSG photography group who taught them how to shoot portraits.

Both had to take pictures of each other, which were then spliced together to form a joint portrait accompanied by a three-word caption by the resident and a paragraph by the instaSG photographer.

Aunty Mani’s mentor was 25-year-old Republic Polytechnic student Pulendrarajah Gowreesan – and the pair proved to be a winning combination.

Their entry shows a close-up of her smiling and him at a tilted angle, along with the words “Happy. Nice. Close.”

It won first prize and each of them took home $120 worth of shopping vouchers.

The photo is now on display in the atrium of Tan Tock Seng Hospital, along with 14 other works by Ren Ci residents who took part in the “1 Lens, 2 Photos, 3 Words” exhibition launched yesterday.

“It was the first time I have taken a picture with a camera phone and I am happy with it,” said Aunty Mani.

Mr Gowreesan said the competition was a “wonderful opportunity” and Aunty Mani proved an ideal partner.

“It took me only three shots to get the perfect smile from her for the portrait,” he said.

The contest began in May and entrants were judged by a panel from instaSG and the hospital based on the emotion captured in the portraits.

It was the first time Ren Ci held such a contest and its chief executive, Ms Low Shu Ching, described it as “heartening”, saying she hopes it can be held again.

“We want to show that residents of nursing homes have aspirations and interests… They want to learn skills, pick up hobbies, just like any other person.”

trinak@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on July 2, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 00:00
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

No reports of Singaporeans injured in Dhaka terror attack: MFA

SINGAPORE – Singapore “strongly condemns” the terrorist attack on a cafe in the Gulshan district of Dhaka, Bangladesh the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said today (July 2).

Armed militants killed 20 civilians after taking them hostage in the cafe overnight on July 1. Many of the victims were hacked to death, according to an army spokesperson.

Said the MFA: “There can be no justifications for such heinous actions. We express our deepest condolences to the bereaved families and wish the injured a speedy recovery.”

It added that there were no reports of Singaporean casualties, but urged those who are in Bangladesh to exercise vigilance.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has verified the safety of all registered Singaporeans in Dhaka. The Singapore Consulate in Dhaka is also in contact with the Bangladeshi authorities. Thus far, there are no reports of any Singaporeans injured or directly affected by the incident.”

“Singaporeans in Bangladesh are advised to exercise vigilance and follow the instructions of the Bangladeshi authorities, and when possible, let their family and friends know that they are safe.”

Singaporeans in Dhaka who require consular assistance are advised to contact the Singapore Consulate in Dhaka or the 24-hour MFA Duty Office at:

Consulate of the Republic of Singapore – Bangladesh (Dhaka)
Tel: + 880 (183) 333 2430
Email: singcon_dha@mfa.sg

MFA Duty Office
Tel: +65 6379 8800 / 8855 (24-hour hotline)
Email: mfa_duty_officer@mfa.gov.sg

candicec@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, July 2, 2016 – 16:50
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Singapore 'strongly condemns' terrorist attack in Dhaka: MFA

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it has contacted most of the registered Singaporeans in Dhaka to verify that they are safe. 

Source link

20 civilians killed in Bangladesh hostage siege: Army

Dhaka – Armed militants killed 20 civilians after taking them hostage in a Bangladesh cafe overnight and many of the victims were hacked to death, an army spokesman said on Saturday.

“We’ve recovered 20 bodies. Most them had been brutally hacked to death with sharp weapons,” Brigadier General Nayeem Ashfaq Chowdhury told reporters in Dhaka, without giving the nationality of the victims.

Thirteen survivors were also rescued at the end of the siege in an upmarket neighbourhood of the capital Dhaka, including three foreigners.

“Three of those who were rescued were foreigners, including one Japanese and two Sri Lankans,” said the spokesman.

Officials had earlier said that six gunmen were killed when security forces stormed the cafe on Saturday morning while two police officers were slain in a firefight that erupted at the beginning of the siege on Friday night.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, July 2, 2016 – 16:09
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
20 civilians killed in Bangladesh siege, many hacked to death
Rotator Image: 
Hermes ID: 
2 413 672
Hermes ID String: 
AS0702-BANGLADESHSIEGE
Hermes Author: 
SSANDREA
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Tenant 'trashes' apartment in HK

It is a landlord’s worst nightmare.

The head of a property owners’ group was shocked by the sight – and stench – that greeted him when he entered a rental apartment in Sha Tin in May.

He was there to help the owner seize the unit back from an errant tenant.

Mr Diamond Shea, chairman of Hong Kong Owners Club, shared pictures of the flat on social media, describing it as “the most terrible case” he had encountered in years.

He told newspaper hk01 that the unit’s neighbours had been complaining of a foul smell and trash outside the front door.

Mr Shea enlisted a locksmith to unlock the front door, but had difficulty getting in because the walkway was obstructed by a metre- high pile of newspapers, magazines and clothes.

When he finally managed to get inside, he found himself in “a paradise for cockroaches and fleas”, reported South China Morning Post.

“We estimated there were more than 1,000 cockroaches, with fleas too.

The movers alone emptied three canisters of insect killer spray,” he told local media.

A couch, which was originally orange, had become black.

The unit was in a damp condition and the bedding and furnishing mildewed.

All the wooden furniture was wet and damaged beyond recovery, he said, adding that he was shaking when he took the photos.

The tenant, a woman in her 50s, had rented the apartment for four years, but she stopped paying rent several months ago.

Hong Kong media said repair work on the bathroom alone was estimated to cost HK$40,000 (S$7,000) and renovating the unit would cost HK$100,000.


This article was first published on July 2, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 00:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Over half of places taken at 4 primary schools as Phase 1 ends

Four schools had more than half their places filled when the first phase of the Primary 1 registration exercise ended yesterday – four fewer schools than last year.

Phase 1 is for children whose siblings are currently studying in their primary school of choice.

Henry Park Primary School had 158 out of 300 spots taken up, and and Nanyang Primary School had 197 places filled out of 390.

Both schools are located in Bukit Timah.

Horizon Primary School in Punggol and Chua Chu Kang Primary School were also well sought after.

They had 108 and 109 children signing up respectively for 210 places.

There are fewer Primary 1 vacancies in primary schools next year – 39,790 compared to 41,860 this year.

Based on figures from the Department of Statistics Singapore, the number of babies born in 2010 – who are entering primary school next year – was 37,967.

In comparison, there were more than 39,000 babies born in each of the three years before that.

Not having to ballot thanks to Phase 1 of the registration exercise has been a relief for many parents.

Administrative executive Huang Shufen’s younger daughter will join her elder sister at Holy Innocents’ Primary School in Hougang next year.

“It’s a bit inconvenient because next year the school is moving to a temporary site in Ang Mo Kio and the girls will be in separate sessions,” said Mrs Huang, 33.

“But it’ll be good for them to be in the same school, and at least we don’t have to go through balloting again.”

Housewife Sabrina Goh, 39, whose six-year-old daughter will join her elder sister who is now in Primary 3 at Singapore Chinese Girls’ School next year, said: “This time round, there is no stress. My eldest daughter just brought back the registration form last term for us to apply.

“We had to ballot for my eldest one three years ago in Phase 2C and it was very stressful.”

She hopes to send her youngest daughter, who is now four years old, to the same school.

“My daughter is very happy with her friends, the school, her teachers… they have a lot of activities, it’s not just about studies,” said Madam Goh.

Housewife Nur Fadhillah, 34, who registered her younger son at Punggol View Primary School, said: “We live nearby so we save on transport costs. It’s also quite a good school, and my elder boy in Primary 3 is doing okay in his studies.”

Mrs Frances Tan’s daughter will be going to Henry Park Primary School, where her brother is currently in Primary 2.

Said the 39-year-old freelance writer: “Our past impressions were that Henry Park was very academically-focused. (But) the principal emphasises character- building too.”

The next registration stage, Phase 2A(1), which starts on Tuesday, is for children whose parents have joined the school’s alumni association for at least a year.

ateng@sph.com.sg


This article was first published on July 2, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Saturday, July 2, 2016 – 17:00
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link