Home Blog Page 3506

Comedian Hossan Leong stars in video to raise awareness of phone scams

A video shot by comedian Hossan Leong to raise awareness of phone scams has drawn more than 45,000 views and 1,635 shares in about half a day.

Source link

Sembawang sports and community hub development: Some trees to go but more will be planted to retain landscape

SINGAPORE – To make way for the development of the 12ha site at Old Nelson Road into a sports and community hub for Sembawang residents, 200 trees will have to be felled.
But in a bid to retain the landscape’s “pervasive greenery”, another 1,000 trees will be…

Source link

Bangladesh siege survivor haunted by screams of victims

DHAKA – A survivor of a massacre in a Bangladeshi cafe recounted Sunday how he spent the night being literally sick with fear as he listened to the haunting screams of diners being hacked to death.

The employee at the Holey Artisan Bakery, a Western-style cafe in Dhaka’s upmarket Gulshan neighbourhood, said his life was spared by the gang of hostage-takers because he was a Muslim.

But speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity, he said he had doubted that he would ever emerge alive from the 11-hour ordeal which began at around 9:00 pm (1500 GMT) on Friday night.

“They burst the restaurant firing their weapons and I could hear them shouting Allahu Akbar,” he said.

“They took me and two of my colleagues and forced us to sit on chairs, with our heads down on the table.

“They asked me whether I was a Muslim. As I said yes, they said they wouldn’t harm or kill any Muslims. They will only kill the non-Muslims.

“All the time I prayed to Allah, keeping my head down. Several times I vomited.

“They warned us not to raise our heads but at one point I raised my head slightly and saw a bloodied body on the floor.”

Although autopsies on the 20 victims have yet to be completed, Bangladesh’s Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan told AFP that it looked like most of the victims had been killed in the first 10 minutes of the standoff.

“I think the killing took place immediately after they entered the restaurant,” said the employee.

“We heard a lot of screaming and cries and firing in the first few minutes. After that there was a long pause.

“Around midnight we heard some fresh gunfire and then there was a lull.

“There was no electricity but I could still see some of our Bangladeshi guests sitting like us at another table. Everyone was silent.

“Late in the night, they asked us whether we were fasting as it’s Ramadan. We said yes and they brought some food for us so we could eat before daybreak. I only managed to eat a little bit and drank some water.

“I saw them carrying guns and machetes all the time during the siege. They walked from one room to another. They never sat down.

“When they realised that troops might storm the building, they came to our room one last time and told us not to tarnish the name of Islam, be a good Muslim and uphold the pride of Islam.

“They said they had no intention of hurting us as we were Muslims.

“Then they left the room and we heard a lot of firing. A few minutes later, everything stopped. I raised my head and went to the bathroom. Then the troops came and brought us out.

“I never believed that I would see another day. Those hours were the longest in my life.”

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 21:30
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 415 609
Hermes ID String: 
SP_SURVIVOR
Hermes Author: 
SPANAECH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Flash floods kill 43 in northern Pakistan: Officials

Overnight flash floods killed at least 43 people in northern Pakistan, the majority in a remote village that did not receive an evacuation warning before the waters hit washing away most of the settlement, officials said Sunday.

The heavy monsoon rains began late Saturday and were concentrated mainly in the northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which has been badly affected by flooding in recent years that some scientists have linked to climate change.

The worst hit district was Chitral, on the country’s northwest border with Afghanistan, where the flood waters killed 41 people in the village of Ursoon near the Afghan border, which is home to some 100 families, district mayor Maghfirat Shah told AFP.

Eighty-two homes in the village were affected by the waters, a rescue services statement said, with some of them swept away, along with a mosque and an army post.

“Sixteen of the dead were offering prayers in the mosque when it was swept away by the flood,” said Latifur Rehman, a spokesman for the provincial disaster management authority.

At least eight of the victims were soldiers, and another eight bodies were swept over the border into Afghanistan, senior local official Osama Waraich said.

Rehman said a military-led rescue and relief operation was now underway, with helicopters being used to reach the affected people and provide them with tents, food and medical aid.

Falah-i-Insaniat Foundation, the charitable wing of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, were among the first at the scene providing relief.

An AFP reporter in Ursoon said survivors who had lost their homes were waiting for aid under open skies surrounded by mud and debris where their village once stood.

Nearby villages had received flood warnings from the local authorities, but Ursoon was not alerted in time, the reporter said.

Separately, two Chinese engineers were killed and five Pakistani workers injured when the heavy rains caused the roof of a construction site to collapse at Tarbela Dam, also in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, Rehman said.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s office issued a statement expressing his grief and sorrow.

Heavy rains and flash flood claim many victims each year, with poorly built homes across the country, particularly in rural areas, susceptible to collapse during the annual spring and monsoon rains in July-August In April rains and landslides killed 127 people in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the Gilgit-Baltistan region and Pakistani Kashmir.

During the rainy season last summer, torrential downpours and flooding killed 81 people and affected almost 300,000 across the country.

The worst flooding in recent times occurred in 2010 and covered almost a fifth of the country’s total land mass. Nearly 2,000 people were killed, 20 million affected and huge tracts of prime farmland destroyed.

Rapid deforestation brought about by decades of illegal logging in the country’s north and the growth of farming along the river Indus in the south is believed by experts to have exacerbated the effects of the annual floods.

Energy-starved Pakistan relies on a multitude of dams and barrages to prevent Himalayan rivers from flooding and help meet its power needs, but some academics believe the slowing of rivers due to the structures mean that silt accumulates, decreasing their capacity.

A research paper commissioned by conservation group WWF and published in 2000 looked at various countries, and warned of similar consequences. It noted the drainage of wetlands as well as deforestation associated with dams led to a loss of natural “sponges” to absorb flood waters during rainy season.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 20:40
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 415 531
Hermes ID String: 
SP_PAKFLOOD
Hermes Author: 
SPANAECH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

‘Don’t be afraid to make mistakes’: PM Lee’s Youth Day message

SINGAPORE – “Don’t be afraid to make mistakes because that’s the beauty of being young,” Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Sunday (July 3) in a message to youths on Youth Day.
In a Facebook post, Mr Lee wished the “young and young at heart” a happy Youth…

Source link

Bangladesh denies IS link after hostage bloodbath

DHAKA – Bangladesh said Sunday the attackers who slaughtered 20 hostages at a restaurant in Dhaka were well-educated followers of a homegrown militant outfit who found extremism “fashionable”, denying links to the Islamic State group.

As the country began two days of mourning for victims, details have emerged of how the assailants spared the lives of Muslims while herding foreigners to their deaths.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina vowed to drag Bangladesh back from the brink, warning of a concerted bid to turn one of the world’s most populous nations into a failed state, while her government has continued to deny links between the assault and international jihadist networks.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it had targeted a gathering of “citizens of crusader states” at the Western-style cafe on Friday night.

But Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan told AFP the killers – six of whom were shot dead in the siege – were members of the homegrown militant outfit Jamaeytul Mujahdeen Bangladesh (JMB), a group banned over a decade ago.

“They have no connections with the Islamic State,” Khan said.

National police chief Shahidul Hoque told reporters that investigators would explore the possibility of “an international link” but added that “primarily, we suspect they are JMB members”.

The bodies of twenty hostages were found in pools of blood after commandos stormed the Holey Artisan Bakery cafe to end the standoff, in which two policemen were also shot dead in a fierce gunbattle at its outset.

Six of the gunmen were killed by the commandos in the final stages of the siege, but one was taken alive and was being interrogated by Bangladeshi intelligence.

Security officials said most of the victims – 18 of whom were foreigners – were slaughtered with sharpened machete-style weapons.

Hasina’s government has previously blamed a string of deadly attacks against religious minorities and foreigners on domestic opponents but the latest will heighten fears that IS’s reach is spreading.

Analysts say that the government is wary of acknowledging that groups such as IS or Al-Qaeda have gained a foothold over fears that it will frighten off foreign investors.

But Shahedul Anam Khan, an analyst for the Dhaka-based Daily Star newspaper, said the attack meant the government could no longer plausibly deny their presence.

“While one is not sure that these people are organically linked to the international extremist groups, the government must own up to the reality that the footprints of the IS in this country is very real and no amount of denying can alter the fact,” he wrote.

There was mass condemnation of the killing in Dhaka, where flags were being flown at half-mast at government offices, while prayer services were being held across the country.

Italy was mourning the death of nine citizens in the attack while seven Japanese were also killed.

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe spoke of his “profound anger that so many innocent people have lost their lives in the cruel and nefarious terrorism”. Pope Francis also joining the welter of condemnation.

The other victims were an American citizen and a 19-year-old Indian who was studying in California.

A Bangladeshi worker at the cafe who survived the massacre told how the attackers split the diners into groups of foreigners and locals, making clear that their targets were non-Muslims.

“They took me and two of my colleagues and forced us to sit on chairs, with our heads down on the table,” the survivor told AFP on condition of anonymity.

“They asked me whether I was a Muslim. As I said yes, they said they won’t harm or kill any Muslims. They will only kill the non-Muslims.

“All the time I prayed to Allah, keeping my head down. Several times I vomited.

“They warned us not to raise our heads but at one point I raised my head slightly and saw a bloodied body on the floor.” The worker described the killers as appearing to be university-educated, a point echoed by Khan.

“They are all highly educated young men and went to university. No one is from a madrassa,” the minister said.

Asked why they would have become Islamist militants, Khan said: “It has become a fashion.”

The attack, by far the deadliest of a recent wave of killings claimed by IS or a local Al-Qaeda offshoot, was carried out in the upmarket Gulshan neighbourhood which is home to the country’s elite and many embassies.

Last month authorities launched a crackdown on local jihadists, arresting more than 11,000 people but critics allege the arrests were arbitrary or designed to silence political opponents.

Bangladesh’s main Islamist party has been banned from contesting polls and most of its leaders have been arrested or else executed after recent trials over their role in the 1971 war of independence from Pakistan.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 19:38
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Hermes ID: 
2 415 446
Hermes ID String: 
SP_BANG
Hermes Author: 
SPANAECH
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Singaporean man dies after plunging down Kulai waterfall

JOHOR BARU: A 47-year-old Singaporean man died trying to save his daughter who slipped from the edge of a waterfall in Kulai, about 50km from here.

David Cho Kah Loong died on the spot after plunging 20m off the Gunung Pulai waterfall, said Kulai Fire and Rescue Department chief Mohd Zainuddin Khairi.

He said Cho together with his wife Chua Soon Hoon, 46, and seven-year old daughter Rachael Cho Che Xin were picnicking at the popular waterfall.

With them were friends Chua Mei Chin, 47, and a seven-year-old girl named Elizabeth Choo Rong Lee, who was also injured.

Mohd Zainuddin said Cho and his wife were attempting to save Rachael who had slipped. He said Rachael suffered injuries from the fall but did not comment on her condition.

“We received a call at around 12.55pm and deployed a fire engine with five personnel and they arrived at the scene after a few minutes,” said Mohd Zainuddin.

The body has been sent to Kulai Hospital for post mortem.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 19:23
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Singaporean dies after plunging down Kulai waterfall while trying to save 7-year-old daughter
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Fellow Malaysian actors pay tribute to Aziz Singah

PETALING JAYA – He is immortally remembered as the formidable bad guy in the 1980s television series PJ Holding.

But on the set, veteran actor Datuk Abdul Aziz Singah was anything but his famous Dallas’ JR Ewing-inspired villain.

His colleagues remember him as a jovial, soft spoken man who mentored budding actors in the film industry.

“He is the man responsible for the start of my career,” said actor Datuk Jalaluddin Hassan.

The late Persatuan Seniman Malaysia president was a staunch advocate for local artiste rights and pushed for young actors to join the film industry. Jalaluddin was just one of his many discoveries.

Ironically, Jalaluddin – known for his signature voice – recalls having problems projecting his voice during his first audition with RTM, where Abdul Aziz was working as a talent scout in the 1980s.

“He gave me tips on how to project my voice and the importance of voice in acting, especially the stage.

“When I was offered a main role, I remember going to his office and telling him I don’t think I could do it. He said ‘Jalal, don’t embarrass me. I recommended you’.

“I followed his advice and never looked back,” he added.

Abdul Aziz passed away at the age of 75 after a long battle with cancer late Friday. Besides his role in PJ Holding, he also appeared in Sate, Maria Mariana and Impian.

He lent his baritone voice to several jingles and television shows.

“His voice captured me,” said Jalaluddin. “The minute he opens his mouth, you are hooked on every word. He had a beautiful, deep voice. I wish I could have his voice!”

Jalaluddin said the cool-headed Abdul Aziz was instrumental in resolving disputes between actors and film companies.

Veteran actress Fauziah Nawi recalled working with Abdul Aziz on her screen debut in RTM’s Tahan Kinabalu about 40 years ago.

“He made life easier for young actors and everyone on set. He made me feel at ease.

“Even when you make a mistake and you have to repeat it, he would never say anything. He would just laugh,” she said.

And that warm personality would even extend beyond the set, said Fauziah, adding that she, Abdul Aziz and the crew would have impromptu holidays wherever they filmed.

“We would all go rombongan to Hat Yai and I would tease him that he was there to look for women. He would be so shy because I know all his wives,” she added.

Abdul Aziz passed away at his residence in Bandar Putra Permai, Seri Kembangan. He was buried at the Kampung Bongek Cemetery in Rembau, Negri Sembilan, yesterday.

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 19:06
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Doctors again drain water from Thai king's brain

BANGKOK – Doctors treating Thailand’s ailing King Bhumibol Adulyadej have drained a fresh build-up of water on the brain, the palace said Sunday, in the latest in a series of updates of the 88-year-old’s health.

Subject to an intense personality cult, Bhumibol’s frail health is a matter of significant public concern.

The king is confined to a wheelchair and rarely seen in public but in recent months the palace has begun releasing regular updates on his health.

His reign has spanned seven tumultuous decades and most Thais have never known another monarch.

Analysts say the kingdom’s decade-long political crisis is in part motivated by elites jostling to secure their primacy once his reign ends.

Bhumibol has spent most of the past two years hospitalised in Bangkok for a series of ailments, including bacterial infections, breathing difficulties, heart problems and hydrocephalus (water on the brain).

An x-ray on June 30 found the amount of fluid draining from the king’s brain through a catheter “was less than normal,” the Royal Household Bureau said.

“The medical team asked permission to adjust the catheter to drain more fluid on 2 July… the result was satisfactory,” it added.

In June Bhumibol also underwent an operation to widen arteries in his heart.

Sunday’s statement said tests showed his heart muscle was now functioning “satisfactorily.” Bhumibol is the world’s longest-reigning monarch and is seen by most Thais as a unifying force in a nation bitterly divided along political lines.

His image is embossed by ritual – Thai schoolchildren learn of his good works, cinema-goers must stand for the royal anthem, while giant portraits of the monarch tower over most major roads.

But detailed discussion of his reign and the role of the monarchy is all but impossible in Thailand because of one the world’s strictest lese majeste laws.

Use of the laws has skyrocketed in the last two years since the military took over in a coup with some people jailed for as much as 30 years.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Sunday, July 3, 2016 – 18:51
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Changi Airport’s ground-handling duopoly in price war

SINGAPORE – An intense price war has erupted between Singapore Airport Terminal Services (SATS) and dnata – the two ground handlers operating at Changi Airport – as they battle for contracts to service airlines here, dragging rates down as much as 30 per cent…

Source link