Home Blog Page 3503

Researchers find traces of gold in cows' urine in India

Researchers in India have found that cow urine contains traces of gold.

The results of the study, which was announced today (July 4), revealed that a litre of urine from the Gir cow species contains three to 10mg of gold. 

According to The Indian Express, the study which was done by a team of researchers at the Junagadh Agricultural University (JAU) in the city of Gujarat was carried out over a period of five years. 

The traces of gold was found together with other metals, as water-soluble salt. The Indian Express reported that the equipment used to analyse the urine had the ability to count parts per billion.

The study was mounted to validate a claim in a Hindu scripture that cow urine contains gold. The researchers also added that the age of the cows, as well as the season during which a sample was collected contributed to the amount of gold found in each sample.

Urine samples from buffaloes, camels, goats and sheep were also tested for gold, but returned negative. 

In an interview with the Indian Express, Professor Balu Golakia, the head of the research team said: “The gold salt in cow urine can be transformed into powder, and then into metal balls. But we do not prescribe to start an industry of extracting gold from cow urine. The objective of the research was to demonstrate to farmers how important is cow urine and by extension, the cow as an animal.”

prabukm@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 10:37
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

Man bitter over failed romance with maid

SINGAPOREAN was stranded in the Philippines for nearly a year, where he had gone to live with a maid and become so poor that he could not afford a ticket home, Lianhe Wanbao reported yesterday.

Joey Kurian, 56, flew back only early last month with the help of five friends, to whom he managed to send a distress e-mail when he came upon an Internet cafe, reported the Chinese evening daily.

According to Mr Kurian, the maid named Jocelyn had returned to Singapore to work as a domestic helper in September last year, leaving him to live with her family in a rural part of the Philippines.

His romance with Ms Jocelyn, now 36, initially looked promising after they met in a church in January 2013, the former freelance copywriter told Wanbao.

In December 2014, they moved to the Philippines as he could not bear seeing her work so hard as a maid.

They first lived in a city, depending mainly on what he had taken out from his CPF account, his meagre savings and the rent he collected from his three-room flat.

But the money soon ran out and they had to move to her parents’ home.

Mr Kurian, whose two previous marriages had failed, claimed that Ms Jocelyn had got into a relationship with a Westerner after returning to Singapore and the two were about to wed.

But the maid told Wanbao that she had no marriage plans and that she had broken off with Mr Kurian when she left again for Singapore.

“He liked to drink and smoke and often taunted me before my family,” said Ms Jocelyn of her former lover.

“He also liked to splurge, eating often in restaurants. I had to tag along,” she added.

She admitted that Mr Kurian did buy her many gifts before their relationship turned sour but said all these had been sold because of the shortage of money.

She also claimed that she remitted part of her pay to him in the first four months she was back in Singapore.

“How could he be so ungracious as to slander me and shame me?” she lamented.

Two friends of Mr Kurian confirmed that they had raised money for his air ticket and had sought assistance from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Mr Kurian, now living alone, told Wanbao that he is now reduced to destitution and is living hand-to-mouth.

Claiming that he now weighs less than 50kg, he slammed Ms Jocelyn for being heartless.

“I gave my heart to her.

“How could she treat me so?” he said bitterly.

myp@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 10:43
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

6 bus services affected by National Day Parade previews

The buses will skip bus stops near the National Stadium due to road closures for the National Day Parade National Education Show, SBS Transit said. 

Source link

Rainstorm looking like apocalyptic movie scene engulfs Qingdao

Dark clouds, fierce winds, and a scene that looks like it’s from an apocalyptic movie – this is what a rainstorm in Qingdao, China caused the city to look like.

On Saturday (July 2), pictures of the terrifying sky emerged on CCTVNews’ Facebook page.

According to CCTVNews, dark clouds starting shrouding Qingdao skies ahead of the storm on Thursday evening (June 30).

This strange phenomenon comes a few days after Kota Kinabalu experienced a similar weather condition.

on SPH Brightcove

@media(min-width:768px){.brightcove_oembed{height:417px;}}

On June 27, unusual cloud formations termed as a “squall line” lasted for about an hour from 7.30am in Kota Kinabalu and caused a stir on social media.

According to Malaysia’s acting Meteorological Department director Lim Ze Hui, a squall line usually forms between a cold front and a warm front in the sky. He assured the public that “there is nothing to fear” as the formation in the sky is harmless.

stephluo@sph.com.sg

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 12:27
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Rewritten Story

Source link

France too hot for Iceland in goal bonanza

So one fairy tale ends, but another quietly begins.

The men who came in from the cold return to Iceland, but the temperature is slowly rising in a chilly France.

Les Bleus not only reached the Euro 2016 semi-final on…

Source link

Soldiers work 12-hour days to get 300,000 funpacks ready for NDP 2016

SINGAPORE – A stream of red and white bags moves down a neat line, as a team of soldiers fills them with items including LED wristbands, Singapore scarves and snacks.

This has been a common sight for the past week at Kranji Camp 3, where 280 soldiers from the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) have been working to get this year’s National Day Parade (NDP) funpacks ready.

Since June 20, they have clocked 12 hours a day to ensure that the 300,000 funpacks needed for five upcoming parade shows will be completed in about two weeks.

Spirits were high among the 5th Battalion, Singapore Infantry Regiment (5SIR), which was split into nine packing teams.

Each is led by a platoon sergeant and three section commanders to ensure that the 18 items that go into each funpack are assembled and replenished on time.

They also do the first round of quality control checks to replace damaged bags and items. The bags are later checked by 15 other soldiers a second time.

This year, the teams have been organised at the platoon level to boost spirits among the soldiers, according to Commanding Officer of 5SIR Derrick Yeaw Guan Sim.

“We are a young battalion currently six months into our training,” he said. “This is a good opportunity for the men to do this with their commanders and build cohesion within the platoons.”

To motivate them to hit the daily target of 27,000 funpacks, the soldiers were asked to suggest ways to improve the packing process.

Ideas included changing the order of items being packed for a smoother flow and playing music to alleviate the monotony of the task.

For full-time national serviceman Leong En Yi, working on the funpacks may not seem as “glamorous” as marching in the parades, he said, but it remains an important contribution to the nation’s birthday bash.

“When I was in primary five and watching the NDP, getting the funpacks and discovering what was inside was very exciting,” the 19-year-old recalled. “If I can bring this joy to the kids this year and to those going for the NDP, it is meaningful for me.”

Their involvement has also given the soldiers, who come from different backgrounds, a chance to get to know one another better, according to full-time national serviceman Abdul Haziq Adzhari, 19.

And while he often feels tired in the day from fasting during Ramadan, he added: “I feel blessed to have friends who are understanding, such that they avoid drinking or eating in front of us.”

Paradegoers will find their funpacks placed at their seats this year, instead of having to grab them at collection points. About 320 soldiers will be roped in to transfer the funpacks from Kranji Camp 3 to the National Stadium at least two days before a show.


This article was first published on July 3, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 09:25
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Don't be fooled! Comedian Hossan Leong stars in new police video on avoiding notorious phone scam

SINGAPORE – Well-known comedian Hossan Leong has teamed up with the Singapore Police Force to record a video that aims to raise awareness of a phone scam that has caused victims to lose more than $4 million since March this year.

The three-minute video, which was uploaded on the SPF’s Facebook page on Sunday (July 3) morning, has garnered 12,000 views and close to 500 shares.

Playing both victim and scammer in the video, the 46-year-old educates viewers with a light-hearted take on the modus operandi of the scammer.

The SPF said in its post that Mr Leong had also received scam calls. It added that the comedian had stepped forward to help make the video on his own accord, so as to spread the awareness on scams and help stop more people from falling prey to them.

In most cases, the scammers impersonate overseas officials who tell potential victims over the phone that parcels containing illegal items had been shipped in their names.

Recent cases saw the callers pose as police officers or staff from courier companies such as SingPost and DHL.

Victims who fall for it are then told they must remit money to overseas bank accounts as a fine or a bribe.

The police said last month more than 50 reports have been made since March from people who were duped, as well as hundreds of alerts from concerned members of the public.

More than $4 million have been lost by victims of the scam, which is believed to have originated in China.

Mr Leong ends the video by emphasising the three basic measures the public should take if they receive such calls:

  • Ignore such calls
  • Do not provide any personal particulars, bank account information and credit card details
  • Do not transfer any money to the caller, and report the matter to the police immediately


This article was first published on July 4, 2016.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 09:15
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link

More firms paying bills on time in Q2: SCCB

After a strong deterioration in payment performance in Q1, slightly more firms have been paying their bills on time in the second quarter of the year, says the Singapore Commercial Credit Bureau. 

Source link

Dhaka gunman a popular student who comes from wealthy family

PETALING JAYA: Young, smart and with boyish good looks, Nibras Islam came from a wealthy family and had a penchant for Bollywood.

He also enjoyed a wide following of friends at a private university here where he studied commerce after arriving from Dhaka in 2012.

No one could have guessed that the Bangladeshi, in his early 20s, would be brainwashed into the blood-thirsty terrorist who helped attack the Dhaka cafe where 20 hostages were brutally killed on Saturday .

Although the authorities have not officially released the names of the seven attackers, Bangladeshi newspapers The Daily Star and Dhaka Tribune confirmed that he was one of the assailants.

Nibras was initially identified by social media users.

Six of the seven attackers were shot dead and a photo, believed to be of Nibras’ bloodied body on the ground, was widely circulated.

Also, terrorist groups released mugshots of the attackers, which included that of Nibras.

“It’s definitely him,” said a fellow Bangladeshi who knew the youth, on social media.

He said he never expected Nibras to end up like this because he did not seem to be interested in politics, was not outwardly religious and was “not the violent type”.

Nibras is believed to have studied in an English-medium school in Dhaka and later enrolled at an expensive private university in Bangladesh before coming to study in Malaysia.

Checks showed that his tweets since 2014 had an emotional slant to them, indicating relationship complications.

On his Facebook page, which was taken down yesterday, Nibras wrote about the war in the Middle East and said that “there must be peace there” and that life was important.

There was also a picture, of the lanky youth playing futsal, that was his Facebook cover image.

It was reported that the assailants were believed to have gone missing months before the attack and international reports stated that Nibras was uncontactable since January.

A Bangladeshi lecturer, who has been in Malaysia for more than two decades but never knew Nibras, said the Bangladeshi community here strongly denounced the violence.

“We condemn the attacks and are in shock,” he said, adding that Bangladeshis studying here have a positive image of Malaysia and its education system.

The lecturer hoped that there would not be any repercussions against these students.

Bangladesh police released images of the assailants’ bodies and five short names of the attackers – Akash, Bikash, Don, Badhon and Ripon – but did not give much details beyond that. Also, it is likely those names may not be accurate.

SITE intelligence group, a terrorist tracker organisation, has put out five images allegedly of the attackers, standing in front of what resembles the Islamic State (IS) flag.

There is no official verification yet by Bangladesh police linking those images to the attackers.

According to reports, Bangladesh police tried to arrest five of the attackers previously but were unsuccessful.

IS has claimed responsibility for the Dhaka attack.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 08:57
Keywords: 
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Rotator Headline: 
Dhaka gunman a Monash University Malaysia student; comes from wealthy family
Rotator Image: 
Story Type: 
Others

Source link

Sembawang to get 12ha green hub

SEMBAWANG will soon be home to a 12ha integrated sports and community hub with unique attributes – it will be located in a lush setting that celebrates the area’s greenery and heritage.

Focusing on the themes of water, sports and health, as well as nourishment, the hub is expected to have a swimming pool in a natural and rustic environment, multi-play courts and an eco-friendly hawker centre with efficient energy lighting and water-saving fittings.

Other ideas include community gardens and forest trails.

The new community space will also include Admiralty House, now gazetted as a national monument.

It was built by the British in 1939 and had served under British rule as the residence of the flag officer for the Malayan area.

The house is now occupied by Furen International School, a private education institution, which will vacate the premises in 2020.

Effort is being made to preserve the natural greenery surrounding the hub, which will be a five-minute walk from the Sembawang MRT station.

While approximately 200 of the 761 trees on Admiral Hill, where the hub will be located, will be removed or relocated to make way for the development, another 1,000 will be planted in the area.

There are also plans for a senior care centre providing services such as day care and physiotherapy for the elderly.

A completion date for the hub has yet to be announced, though certain facilities are expected to be up by 2019.

azhaki@sph.com.sg


Get MyPaper for more stories.

Image: 
Category: 
Publication Date: 
Monday, July 4, 2016 – 08:41
Send to mobile app: 
Source: 



Story Type: 
Others

Source link