Home Blog Page 1374

Duterte 'to limit mouth' in Japan emperor meet

0

MANILA – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday pledged to “limit my mouth” in a meeting with Japan’s revered Emperor Akihito this week following previous concerns in Tokyo the profanity-prone leader would spark diplomatic tensions.

Duterte said he would have an audience with the 83-year-old Akihito – a popular and respected figure in Japan – during his two-day visit to Tokyo. A scheduled meeting last year was cancelled following a death in the imperial family.

That meeting had put Japanese officials on faux pas alert after a video of Duterte with President Xi Jinping in China showed him apparently chewing gum – considered rude in Japan on such an occasion.

“I suppose that I have to limit my mouth there except maybe to bring the warm greetings of the Filipino nation, a grateful nation to Japan,” Duterte told reporters before departing for Tokyo on Sunday night.

“It’s a kind of a homage to see the emperor before he abdicates,” Duterte added, referring to Akihito’s plan to retire after nearly three decades on the throne.

The acid-tongued Duterte often curses critics, including former US President Barack Obama, and is known to shun formal protocols.

Since winning elections last year, Duterte has sought to boost the Philippines’ ties with Japan, its top foreign aid donor and second largest trading partner in 2016 after China.

That comes as he loosens the country’s 70-year alliance with the United States in favour of closer relations with China and Russia.

On his second trip to Tokyo, Duterte said he would ask for Japanese aid in rebuilding the southern Philippine city of Marawi following a five-month battle against militants loyal to the Islamic State group which left the city in ruins.

Duterte will meet Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe before hosting a regional summit in Manila next month to be attended by Asia-Pacific leaders and US President Donald Trump.

Monday, October 30, 2017 – 08:30

Others

Source link

PUB's waterworks in JB stop operations temporarily due to pollution in Johor River

0

Singapore

Monday, October 30, 2017 – 07:25

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

Bittersweet end for ice cream uncles?

0

Singapore

Monday, October 30, 2017 – 07:20

The New Paper

Others

Source link

Thai govt declares end of official mourning period for late king

0

BANGKOK – As the mourning period following the passing of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej drew to a close yesterday, the government provided guidelines to the public.

According to the Public Relations Department, civil servants were supposed to wear mourning attire until yesterday.

A Cabinet resolution had extended the period of mourning for civil servants, adding two days on to the end of the original period of October 13, 2016 to last Friday.

The general public were urged to wear black clothes or appropriate clothing with a black bow until the end of yesterday. They were also told to end the mourning period and wear normal clothing starting today.

Flags at government offices, state enterprise buildings and schools were to fly at half-mast until late last night. All mourning symbols and signs were to be removed overnight.

Monday, October 30, 2017 – 07:15

Others

Source link

King Bhumibol's remains laid to rest at end of 5-day ceremony

0

BANGKOK – The bones and ashes of Thailand’s late King Bhumibol Adulyadej were brought to their final resting places on Sunday, the fifth and last day of an elaborate funeral ceremony that drew hundreds of thousands of mourners to the streets of Bangkok.

King Bhumibol, the world’s longest reigning monarch when he died last year at the age of 88, ruled Thailand from shortly after World War Two and was revered as a stabilising figure through coups, protests and natural disasters.

The US$90 million (S$122.9 million) royal funeral drew mourners clad in black from across the country to Bangkok, where King Bhumibol was cremated on Thursday in an elaborate gold crematorium built for the ceremony outside the Grand Palace.

Over 19 million Thais – more than a quarter of the 69 million population – participated in ceremonies by presenting symbolic sandalwood flowers to be burned at temples and crematorium replicas across the country, according to the government.

On Sunday, the late king’s bones were moved to the Chakri Throne Hall, where royal relics are kept within the Grand Palace in a ceremony that involved senior monks from temples across the country. His son, new King Maha Vajiralongkorn, led the religious rite.

On Sunday evening, Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana led the final royal procession on horseback to the Wat Rajabopidh and Wat Bovoranives temples where her grandfather’s ashes were placed in keeping with a ceremony steeped in religious symbolism and tradition. Mourners, some in tears, were gathered outside the temples.

“I will always have him stored in my heart. Whether as pictures, however old and torn, the memory of him will always be kept in my heart,” said Chalermporm Prabutr, 72.

Wat Rajabopidh was built by the late king’s grandfather, King Chualalongkorn, and houses the remains of other royals including the late king’s father, Prince Mahidol and the princess mother, Srinagarindra.

Some of the late king’s ashes were also be laid at Wat Bovoranives, the temple where he entered the monkhood in 1956 after his grandmother’s death, a custom for Buddhist males after the death of a relative.

Wat Bovoranives is also the centre of the more austere strain of Thai Buddhism founded by the late king’s great grandfather, King Mongkut.

Many Thais have worn black for the past year in mourning for King Bhumibol. The military government has told people to wear bright clothes from Monday, when the mourning period formally ends.

Monday, October 30, 2017 – 06:49

Others

Source link

United Airlines launches non-stop Singapore-Los Angeles flights

0

The 14,000km journey is currently the world’s longest nonstop flight to or from the United States.

FILE PHOTO – A United Airlines Boeing 787 taxis as a United Airlines Boeing 767 lands at San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, California, U.S. on February 7, 2015. REUTERS/Louis Nastro/File Photo

LOS ANGELES: United Airlines launched its daily non-stop flights between Singapore and Los Angeles on Sunday (Oct 29). 

Flight UA38 departs Changi Airport at 11am Singapore time daily, arriving at Los Angeles International Airport at 11.15am Singapore time the same day. The flight is about 15 hours 15 minutes long, according to United Airlines.

The returning flight, UA37, departs Los Angeles at 9.25pm (Singapore time), arriving in Singapore at 6.20am two days from departure. It is more than two hours longer than the journey from Singapore at 17 hours 55 minutes.

The 14,000-kilometre journey is currently the world’s longest non-stop flight to or from the United States.

Previously, the record was held by Qantas, which operates an 13,800-kilometre flight between Dallas and Sydney, as well as United’s San Francisco-Singapore route (13,592 kilometres) launched last year.

Both of United’s Los Angeles and San Francisco routes are operated with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft that can accommodate some 250 passengers.

United Airline is the only airline operating a direct flight between Singapore and Los Angeles. 

To celebrate the inaugural flight on Sunday, passengers departing Changi Airport were greeted by Hollywood celebrity impersonators and were invited to participate in a cake-cutting ceremony.

The celebration was attended by CEO of Changi Airport Group Lee Seow Hiang as well as the charge d’affaires at the US Embassy of Singapore Stephanie Syptak-Ramnath.

The cake-cutting ceremony held at Changi Airport on Sunday (Oct 29). (Photo: United Airlines) 

Commenting on the launch of the flight, United’s Vice President of Atlantic and Pacific Sales Marcel Fuchs said: “United is proud to launch the long-awaited Singapore-Los Angeles route for our customers in Singapore.

“The addition of this new exclusive service to our existing daily Singapore-San Francisco non-stop service gives more options for our customers to conveniently connect to our extensive US network over both gateways,” he added. 

David Hilfman, United’s senior vice president of Worldwide Sales, said the new route will consolidate the airline’s position in Asia, with Singapore a key destination for business travellers.

Source link

Myanmar police charge Singaporean, Malaysian reporters over drone use

0

YANGON: Myanmar police have charged two foreign journalists working for Turkish state media – along with two Burmese locals – for allegedly breaching import laws after they flew a drone over the country’s parliament.

They will be held in custody until their first court hearing on charges that carry up to three years in jail or a fine for the import and export of “restricted or banned goods” without obtaining a license.

“We have opened a case against all four – two foreigners and two Burmese. They will be held on remand until Nov 10,” deputy police colonel Kyaw Moe said.

The foreigners, Lau Hon Meng from Singapore and Mok Choy Lin from Malaysia, were arrested on Friday (Oct 27) in Myanmar’s capital Nay Pyi Taw while they were on assignment for Turkish state broadcaster TRT.

Myanmar’s parliament building in the capital Naypyidaw AFP/Ye Aung Thu

The pair was working with their interpreter and well-known Myanmar journalist Aung Naing Soe as well as local driver Hla Tin.

On Friday night, about 25 police staged an evening raid on the Yangon house of Aung, seizing his computer memory sticks and searching for documents.

Myanmar state broadcaster MRTV said the ministry of foreign affairs had informed the Singaporean and Malaysian embassies about the matter.

The incident comes as tensions surge between Myanmar and Turkey, which has led criticism of the Southeast Asian nation for its treatment of the persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority.

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused Myanmar of incubating “Buddhist terror” and carrying out a genocide against the Muslim group.

Several journalists have been arrested in Myanmar this year, fueling fears of an erosion of the press freedoms that blossomed after the end of junta rule in 2011.

Many have been charged with defamation or arrested for reporting on armed rebel groups.

Source link

MySkillsFuture.sg portal launched to help Singaporeans chart learning, career paths

0

SINGAPORE: The MySkillsFuture.sg portal was launched on Sunday (Oct 29) aiming to guide Singaporeans, starting from those in school, in charting their learning and career paths.

At the SkillsFuture roadshow in Bedok North, Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam also unveiled SkillsFuture Advice, a series of free workshops conducted in venues such as community centres.

This is the third initiative launched under the SkillsFuture umbrella this month. A national programme to train workers in basic digital skills was launched in early October. Just this week, a S$70 million project was announced to deliver courses in sectors central to Singapore’s future economy.

Education Minister Ong Ye Kung, who attended the event, said the initiatives will better support Singapore’s workers by giving them the confidence to navigate the new economy.

“Technology is upon us,” said Mr Ong. “It’s not something that as Singapore, we can stop or regulate. When it comes to technological advancements, it’s a global thing.

“We’re really price-takers and the faster we can adopt, the better it will be for our long-term.”

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam and Mr Ong Ye Kung at a SkillsFuture Advice session. (Photo: Chan Luo Er)

The portal allows users to personalise their learning needs by assessing their interests and matching them to the type of training they will have to go through to embark on their desired career path.

It has targeted offerings for the different age groups. For example, adults and tertiary students will be able to use self-assessment tools to build a portfolio of skills. They will also be able to tap on resources such as industry insights, career-related articles and job listings, as well as apply for SkillsFuture Credit courses.

The website can be used to support education and career guidance for students from Primary 5 to pre-university. It will remain accessible even after they graduate, unlike the current MOE e-career portal it replaces. The aim is for MySkillsFuture.sg to follow the students through life.

Prior to entering junior college, 17-year-old Venkatesh Babu Dakshitaa wanted a career in environmental sciences. However, she realised that biology was not her cup of tea, she said.

“I did the test on the portal and it said I was more of a design person, like product design… and it suggested architecture,” said the Temasek Junior College student.

She has since applied for and will undergo a three-week internship in architecture during the coming school holidays to learn more about the field.

MySkillsFuture.sg has received more than 400,000 visitors since it went live on Oct 2. It builds on a nine-month pilot in 2014 called the Individual Learning Portfolio, which had 20,000 people try out a career analysis and job-matching tool.

In addition to the portal, there will also be offline support in the form of the SkillsFuture Advice workshops by SkillFuture SG and the Community Development Councils. 

These hour-and-a-half sessions are held for groups of up to 30 people and can be conducted in four languages. Residents can pick up information on key work trends and workplace skills, as well as develop a personal skills upgrading plan. They will also learn how to use MySkillsFuture.sg.

About 1,000 Singaporeans have taken part in the workshops since they were piloted in July this year. A total of 80,000 Singaporeans are expected to take part over three years. 

Source link

More stroke patients arriving within crucial time period for treatment: Study

0

SINGAPORE: More patients are arriving at the hospital “early enough” for time-sensitive stroke treatments, the Ministry of Health’s Stroke Services Improvement team revealed on Sunday (Oct 29). 

The finding emerged from a study by the National Neuroscience Institute, whose results were revealed at the launch of the second annual Spot Stroke nationwide awareness campaign in conjunction with World Stroke Day. 

According to the study, the proportion of patients arriving within the crucial three-and-a-half hours increased from 28 per cent before the first campaign in 2016 to 41 per cent. This has inproved the chances of survival for patients undergoing clot-busting treatment.

The study also found that the percentage of patients coming within seven hours increased from 42 per cent to 58 per cent, improving chances of eligibility for those who require endovascular therapy.

“If patients come in too late, there isn’t anything we can do in the hyper acute period. These treatments are time-limited. Once they are outside the window, they are ineligible for these treatments,” said Associate Professor Deidre Anne De Silva, senior consultant at the National Neuroscience Institute.

Assoc Prof Deidre Anne De Silva (third from left) and Dr Amy Khor (fourth from left) at the Spot Stroke campaign launch on Sunday (Oct 29). (Photo: Stroke Services Improvement)

However, while they will not be administered the time-sensitive treatments, such patients will still receive stroke care.

Assoc Prof De Silva added that the treatments significantly reduce disability after stroke.

“These disabilities can be physical, cognitive. Obviously it doesn’t affect just the patient, but also the family and society. If we are able to reduce these disabilities, the patient’s life after stroke will be significantly improved,” she said.

There are about 8,000 stroke cases in Singapore with the figure projected to rise with a rapidly ageing population, said Senior Minister of State for Health Amy Khor at the campaign launch. 

“The burden of stroke is substantial and has significant social and economic impact. More importantly, it has serious consequences on well-being: in Singapore, cerebrovascular diseases including stroke is the fourth leading cause of death and one of the leading causes of long-term physical disability,” said Dr Khor. 

She added: “While we would continue to deliver quality stroke care and rehabilitation, it is vital that we arm ourselves with the knowledge of what we can do when a stroke does happen so that we reduce complications and protect our health.”

The Spot Stroke campaign is focused on helping more Singaporeans recognise the symptoms of stroke using the acronym FAST – which stands for Face drooping, Arm weakness and Speech difficulty, as well as Time to call 995 – as a checklist. 

Also launched on Sunday was StrokeHub, an online portal aimed at increasing public awareness of the condition. The portal contains up-to-date materials for caregivers, healthcare workers and patients related to the prevention, recognition and treatment of stroke.

The resources will be available in English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil from December.

Source link