Home Blog Page 1328

Body of man found floating on Chao Phraya in Bangkok

0

The body of a Thai man attached to a car compressor unit was found floating on the Chao Phraya River on Saturday morning.

Pol Captain Dusit Ratanakinnaree, deputy inspector of Pak Klong San police station, said the body was found stuck at the Sawadee pier of a private company in Klong San district at 7.30am.

A doctor and forensic science official were dispatched to perform a preliminary check and found that the man appeared to be around 30 to 40 years old and he did not carry any sign of being harmed. He did not have a identification card with him.

The body was sent to Siriraj Hospital for an autopsy.

Dusit said he learned from the Phra Ratchawang police station that a family reported that their relative went missing on November 9.

CCTV footage showed that the man parked his car near Tha Tian pier but it did not show whether the man jumped into the water.

The missing man wore similar clothes to those found on the body, so relatives would be summoned to check the body at the hospital.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 22:44

More about

deaths Bangkok

Others

Source link

Footballer Cardona caught in racism row in S. Korea

0

Seoul – Colombian footballer Edwin Cardona has apologised after he was accused of making a racist gesture during a friendly international against South Korea.

Cardona was caught on camera appearing to make a slant-eyes gesture during a minor scuffle between the two sides in the second half of Friday’s match at Suwon World Cup Stadium, south of Seoul.

“As regards to what happened today, it was not my intention to disrespect anybody, or a country or race, but if anybody interpreted it that way, I am sorry,” Cardona said in a video posted on the Colombian team’s Twitter account.

“I am not an aggressive person and that moment in the match has been badly interpreted,” the 24-year-old said.

South Korea captain, midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng, condemned Cardona’s actions, saying, “racist behaviour is absolutely unacceptable”.

“Colombia have world-class players, and it was disappointing for the team to show such actions,” Ki added. The Colombian football association “sincerely” apologised over the incident to its South Korean counterpart, Yonhap news agency reported.

In response, Korea Football Association (KFA) expressed a “deep regret” over the episode and called for a “proper punitive measure” against Cardona, South Korea’s Yonhap said.

The controversy is not the first time South American players have been embroiled in race-related rows in Asia.

Shanghai SIPG’s Brazilian star Hulk was investigated earlier this year over an alleged racially motivated assault on a rival team’s coach, a claim both he and his club deny. Days after that incident, Argentina’s Ezequiel Lavezzi, who plays for Hebei China Fortune, sparked an uproar when promotional photos emerged of him pulling back the corners of his eyelids in a “slant-eyed” pose.

South Korea won Friday’s match 2-1.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 21:00

Others

Source link

Trump, Duterte meet for first time at APEC summit

0

DANANG, Vietnam – US President Donald Trump met Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte for the first time at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Vietnam on Saturday.

The meeting was “short but was warm and cordial,” Duterte’s spokesman, Harry Roque, told reporters.

“The leaders were generally pleased to finally meet each other in person,” he said. Trump told Duterte “see you tomorrow,” Roque said.

Both the leaders are in Danang, Vietnam for the APEC summit.

Trump will head to Manila on Sunday for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit on the last leg of his 12-day Asian trip.

Duterte – sometimes described ‘Trump of the East’ because of his brash and mercurial style – had said on Wednesday that he would tell the US president to “lay off” if he raised the issue of human rights when they met.

More than 3,900 Filipinos have been killed in what the police call self-defence in Duterte’s war on drugs. Critics say executions are taking place with zero accountability, allegations the police reject.

But Trump, who has been criticised at home for neglecting rights issues in dealings abroad, in May praised Duterte for doing an “unbelievable job on the drug problem”.

Human rights, rule of law and due process were among topics Trump and Duterte would likely discuss during their bilateral talks, Sung Kim, US ambassador to Manila, had said last month.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 20:14

Others

Source link

Man, 62, hurt after SUV plunges from car park in Bangkok

0

A 62-year-old man was injured when his SUV plunged to the street from a car park on the fourth floor of a Bangkok building on Saturday.

Police said the accident happened at 10.30 m on Soi Phai Singto off Rama IV road.

The grey Isuzu Mu-7 crashed through the wall of the car park in the Crown Property Bureau building and landed on its front.

The driver was identified as Anukul Wannasuk. He suffered from a large swelling on his head but did not have serious wounds.

He was fully conscious when he received the first aid and was sent to the Thep Tharin hospital.

Police said the man might have applied the wrong gear, causing the SUV to move forward instead of reversing from the wall.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 19:12

Others

Source link

Thai singer from popular boyband dies of heart attack at concert in Bangkok pub

0

A singer of the once-popular boy band Boyscout died of heart failure while he was playing at a concert in a Bangkok pub late Friday night.

Thanat Chimthuam, better known as Jo Boyscout, collapsed shortly after midnight, after singing for about an hour at the Colour Bar Town in Town in Wang Thong Lang district.

Rescuers from the Por Tek Tueng Foundation arrived at the bar past midnight on Saturday and tried but failed to resuscitate him.

They rushed him to Lat Phrao Hospital where doctors declared him dead after spending about 30 minutes trying to revive him with electric shock.

His friend and band member Songpol Klaipongphan said the band started playing at 11pm and at 11.30pm Thanat appeared tired and sat down, which was unusual for him.

Songpol said Thanat collapsed after singing the last song.

Photo: The Nation/Asia News Network

Initially, he said, he thought Thanat was joking. But when the friends took a closer look they noticed Thanat was foaming at the mouth and crunching his teeth.

Songpol said friends tried to open the singer’s mouth while others called police and the emergency health centre.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 19:06

Others

Source link

SPH Radio to launch two new radio stations: 96.3FM and 89.3FM

0

Two new radio stations will soon be available on the airwaves: Chinese music infotainment station 96.3 Hao FM and English business station MONEY FM 89.3.

Both stations are operated by Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) Radio, after being awarded the tender to operate the new stations by the Infocomm Media Development Authority in March.

96.3 Hao FM aims to take listeners a trip down memory lane with familiar Mandarin pop tunes from the 80s and 90s. With a tagline of “Great Songs, Hao FM”, listeners can expect to hear classic hits from Wan Fang, Winnie Hsin, Wakin Chau, Faye Wong, Jacky Cheung and local xinyao music too.

The current 96.3 Hao FM lineup includes familiar radio personalities such as Jackie Liu, Tan Li Yi, Hong Wei Wen, and Wen Guo Xian. Joining them is veteran radio personality Anna Lim.

MONEY FM 89.3 is Singapore’s first and only business and personal finance radio station in English.

The talk-format station will focus on business and money-related topics, as well as general news and discussion of wider social topics such as health, education, music and more.

With the tagline ‘Stay Ahead’, the station aims to provide relevant and on-the-go information to help its audience to always be on top of the happenings in Singapore and around the world.

Ms Loretta Lopez, assistant programme director of MONEY FM 89.3, said: “Safe to say, it is a rare experience for one to see a station up from ground zero. The team is working hard on their shows with the approach that every minute on-air matters.

“Expect industry veterans such as Claressa Monteiro, Yasmin Jonkers and Elliott Danker to name a few, on the airwaves very soon.”

The new stations will be launched in January 2018.

Singapore

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 18:58

More about

SPH radio Radio

AsiaOne

Others

Source link

Customer cries fowl over char siew at Pasir Ris hawker centre and police are called in

0

Singapore

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 18:49

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

Music, TV mogul Medina accused of sex assault: Report

0

LOS ANGELES – Actor Jason Dottley said on Friday (Nov 10) that music and TV mogul Benny Medina – known for managing A-listers such as Jennifer Lopez – attempted to rape him nine years ago.

The allegation is the latest in a flood of sexual abuse claims implicating powerful men in Hollywood, including studio mogul Harvey Weinstein, Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey and comedian Louis C.K.

Dottley, 36, alleged that Medina tried to rape him in December 2008 after he and a friend were invited to the mogul’s Los Angeles home. After his friend went for a swim, leaving the two men alone, Medina threw him on the bed and “stuck his tongue down my mouth”, Dottley told The Advocate magazine.

As Dottley resisted, Medina became more aggressive, he said, recounting how he broke down and begged the producer to stop.

“His forearm was bearing down on my neck so hard that I don’t know how much longer I would have remained conscious,” Dottley recalled.

The attack ended when Dottley’s friend walked in on the pair, he said.

Medina’s attorneys, Howard Weitzman and Shawn Holley, issued a statement to People magazine, saying: “Benny Medina categorically denies the allegation of attempted rape”.

Dottley said Medina sent him a threatening message days after the alleged attack when he was walking down the street with his now ex-husband.

“It says something like: ‘Hey, I’m at The Ivy eating. Just saw you walking across the street. Is that the husband I have to have killed to have you?'”

Medina, 59, started working as a protege to legendary producer Berry Gordy, working with Motown stars such as The Temptations and Smokey Robinson. He also worked at Warner Brothers with Prince, Madonna and Chaka Khan.

Medina’s life inspired the TV show The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air. He has managed Lopez, Will Smith and Mariah Carey, as well as produced television and films.

Dottley, who is best known for his role in the TV show Sordid Lives: The Series, told People he felt “powerless” during and after the alleged attack.

“You don’t try to rape someone, then threaten to kill their husband via text message if you aren’t incredibly fearless of what you’re doing,” Dottley said.

“This could not have been his first time.”

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 18:34

Others

Source link

Top Thai royal aide sacked for 'evil acts': Palace

0

BANGKOK – A senior Thai royal official has been sacked for “evil acts” including having an extramarital affair and forcing his alleged mistress to get an abortion, the palace said, the latest top aide to be axed under King Maha Vajiralongkorn.

Vajiralongkorn, 65, took the throne one year ago following the death of his widely revered father King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who reigned for seven decades.

He has yet to attain his father’s widespread popularity but remains insulated from any criticism by one of the world’s harshest royal defamation laws.

Since ascending the throne the new monarch has axed a number of powerful palace officials from his father’s era.

A statement published by the Royal Gazette late Friday stripped Distorn of his royal decorations and listed his alleged wrongdoings — including having an extramarital affair, “forcing” his mistress to get an abortion, and then coercing her into marrying another man.

“When the woman got pregnant for the second time, he forced her to have another abortion but the woman refused. So he forced her to get married with another man she hadn’t had a relationship with,” the statement said.

Distorn was also accused of “using the King’s name to avoid taxation in importing a foreign vehicle” to replace a damaged royal car.

The aide also allegedly ordered staff to forge documents about a donation to a royal foundation he chaired.

Thailand’s lese majeste law, which criminalises insulting the monarchy with up to 15 years in prison per offence, makes it impossible to publicly counter such charges.

Many of those purged from the new monarch’s inner circle have been charged with lese majeste and jailed.

In one of the most dramatic episodes, Vajiralongkorn divorced his third wife in late 2014 after half a dozen of her relatives were charged with lese majeste — and later jailed — for allegedly abusing their royal ties to him.

All media inside Thailand must heavily self-censor when reporting on the royal family to avoid falling foul of the defamation law.

 

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 18:18

Others

Source link

Comedian Louis C.K. admits to masturbating in front of women

0

NEW YORK: An award-winning US comedian on Friday became the latest entertainment industry heavyweight to watch his career unravel over accusations of sexual misconduct, as he was forced to admit to masturbating in front of women.

Father of two Louis C.K. was dumped by Netflix, his publicist, the television networks FX and HBO, and his upcoming movie, which had showcased a relationship between an aging filmmaker and a teenage girl, was scrapped.

An extraordinary statement of guilt from the 50-year-old did nothing to limit the fallout as the entertainment industry grapples with scandals that have already sunk the careers of Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein and Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey.

“These stories are true,” said the writer, actor and stand-up comedian in a statement released to US media a day after America’s most prestigious newspaper published accusations from the women saying that he masturbated or asked to masturbate in front of them or on the telephone in separate incidents dating from the late 1990s to 2005.

“But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me.

“And I wielded that power irresponsibly,” he said.

DUMPED

While the comedian did not explicitly apologise, he said in his statement: “I have been remorseful of my actions.”

It was the most frank public admission of guilt from an accused man since a spate of sexual harassment and abuse scandals broke in early October, disgracing not just Weinstein and Spacey but also implicating directors such as James Toback and 1980s action star Steven Seagal.

Louis C.K. said there was “nothing about this that I forgive myself for” and claimed he could “hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought” on the women and colleagues with whom he has worked, now impacted by the scandal.

But it was not enough to stop his career spinning out of control. The distributor of his new movie “I Love You, Daddy” said it would not go ahead with its release and HBO dropped him from a comedy benefit concert due to air next week, US media reported.

Netflix announced that it was abandoning a second stand-up special featuring the star in the wake of what it called his “unprofessional and inappropriate behaviour with female colleagues.” The first had debuted in April.

C.K.’s long-time collaborator Pamela Adlon, who has worked with him on numerous projects including the sitcom “Louie” for which she won four Emmys, also issued a statement condemning her “friend.”

“My family and I are devastated and in shock after the admission of abhorrent behaviour by my friend and partner, Louis C.K.” she said.

“I feel deep sorrow and empathy for the women who have come forward,” she added.

FX, which has produced five shows with the star, announced that it was cutting all ties with the comedian and his production company.

“Now is not the time for him to make television shows. Now is the time for him to honestly address the women who have come forth to speak about their painful experiences, a process which he began today with his public statement,” it said.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 – 18:14

Others

Source link