Home Blog Page 1318

23 passengers and 2 staff injured after SMRT train collides with stationary train at Joo Koon MRT Station

0

An SMRT train collided with a stationary train at Joo Koon MRT Station during the morning peak hours on Wednesday (Nov 15).

Stomp contributor Ganeshan, who usually alights at Joo Koon station to transit to a train travelling to Tuas Link, told Stomp in a phone interview that he had witnessed the incident.

He said: “I alighted at Joo Koon station at around 7.45am. Not all the trains go to Tuas Link, so usually I will have to switch between trains.

“After I alighted, another train crashed into the back of the train which I was on.

“There was a loud bang, and some commuters even screamed. I was shocked.

“I saw the second train coming in from a distance, but I thought it was going to slow down.”

SMRT train collides with stationary train near Joo Koon MRT station; injuries reported

Ganeshan went closer to take a look and quickly took some photos which he sent to Stomp, before going off to work at 9.05am.

Facebook user Az Dwie also posted a video on the incident.

on Facebook

Train accident at Joo Koon.. all passenger walking to front cabin

Posted by Az Dwie on Tuesday, 14 November 2017

In his accompanying caption, Dwie wrote:

“Train accident at Joo Koon.. all passenger walking to front cabin.”

According to a Facebook post by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) at 10.45am, 23 passengers were injured during the incident and were conveyed to hospitals.

on Facebook

[Incident near Joo Koon MRT Station]

At 8.33 am, SCDF was alerted to an incident near Joo Koon MRT station. SCDF…

Posted by Singapore Civil Defence Force on Tuesday, 14 November 2017

A tweet from rail operator SMRT at around 10am read:

“[EWL] UPDATE: Please add 15 mins train travel time between #JurongEast and #TuasLink. Free regular bus services are still available between #JurongEast and #TuasLink.”

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

A joint statement by SMRT and the Land Transport Authority (LTA) was issued on LTA’s Facebook page.

It read:

“This morning at 8.18am, a train heading in the direction of Tuas Link Station stalled at Joo Koon Station.

“At 8.19am, a second train stopped behind the first faulty train. At 8.20am, the second train moved forward unexpectedly, and came into contact with the first train.

“23 passengers and 2 SMRT staff sustained light to moderate injuries, and have been conveyed to Ng Teng Fong Hospital and National University Hospital.

“SMRT and LTA are investigating the incident.”

on Facebook

[LTA – SMRT Joint Statement]

This morning at 8.18am, a train heading in the direction of Tuas Link Station stalled at…

Posted by Land Transport Authority – We Keep Your World Moving on Tuesday, 14 November 2017

Singapore

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 11:51

More about

Accidents SMRT LTA (Land Transport Authority)

Stomp

Others

Source link

Man suspected of killing Chinese student likely to stay in Japan, experts say

0

Mother ‘has right to appeal’ to a Chinese court for compensation

Legal experts said on Tuesday that a Chinese suspect who will stand trial in Japan after being accused of killing a Chinese woman last year is unlikely to be returned to China, but the victim’s mother could file a civil lawsuit in China to demand compensation if the man is convicted.

Jiang Ge, 24, a graduate student from Qingdao, Shandong province, who was studying in Japan was found dead with multiple stab wounds in the corridor of her Tokyo apartment on Nov 3 last year.

Japanese police said in late November that they had arrested a suspect, Chen Shifeng, who is the ex-boyfriend of Jiang’s roommate Liu Xin. Chen was charged with murder in December.

The case will be publicly heard in Tokyo on Dec 11, and is expected to last five days.

Although China has made no request for Chen’s return, the topic has been widely discussed on social media.

Huang Feng, a law professor specialising in international criminal law and international legal co-operation at Beijing Normal University, said there is little chance Chen will be extradited from Japan.

“Chinese judicial authorities can handle the case only when the suspect is controlled by us, but now he isn’t,” he said. “Meanwhile, Japan will refuse any request from China to return Chen, because the case is going to be tried. The crime happened in Japan, so it will be better to handle it in that country. It’s more convenient for Japanese police to investigate.”

There is no extradition treaty between the two countries, he added.

Ruan Chuansheng, a criminal lawyer who studied international judicial co-operation in Shanghai, agreed. Based on his past research, when a non-Japanese person is involved in a crime in Japan, the country will not repatriate the person it is investigating, regardless what kind of visa is carried, Ruan said.

“Solving the case is the priority,” he said.

If extradition is pursued, China would normally make the request, he added. “But so far it hasn’t done that, so I don’t think Chen’s case will be transferred.”

Both legal professionals said the victim’s family could seek compensation by filing a civil lawsuit against Chen in a Chinese court if he is convicted.

The victim’s mother, Jiang Qiulian, has petitioned the Japanese government for Chen to receive the death penalty should he be found guilty.

“No matter whether Chen is in China or not, the mother has the right to appeal to a Chinese court, such as one in Qingdao, for compensation under the Civil Procedure Law,” Ruan said.

He added that courts usually will not accept such a case until a defendant has been convicted and sentenced. Huang said a conviction would strongly support a civil lawsuit against a killer, who may or may not have the resources to pay.

While courts do not force family members to pay compensation for the crimes of adult relatives, payment arrangements may be made privately, outside the court system, by family members.

In seeking a death penalty, the victim’s mother, Jiang Qiulian, who is currently in Japan, held four activities to drum up support, gathering signatures in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro district over the weekend. An online petition to collect signatures is still ongoing, according to the mother’s micro blog on Thursday, but it is set to end on Nov 30.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 14:00

Others

Source link

Thai senior health official faces attempted murder charge after guard hit by car

0

Dr Yorn Chiranakhon, a senior official at the Public Health Ministry, was yesterday charged with drunk driving and attempted murder after his car hit a security guard and dragged him for 20 metres inside the ministry compound in Nonthaburi’s Muang district last Friday.

A video clip of the incident went viral on the Internet on Monday.

After he surrendered to police, Yorn was charged with reckless driving causing serious injury, driving while being intoxicated and attempted murder.

Deputy national police chief Pol General Weerachai Songmetta said after Yorn’s interrogation that the attempted murder charge was filed because he stopped his vehicle for 25 seconds after initially hitting the guard, before moving forward, running over him and dragging him for 20 metres.

He said Yorn confessed to reckless driving but denied the other charges. Police said they were confident on all the charges based on evidence collected, including CCTV footage and the testimony of witnesses, Weerachai said.

Public Health Ministry spokeswoman Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn said yesterday that a fact-finding committee had been set up to look into the incident, to ensure justice for both sides and provide assistance to the seriously injured guard Somchai Yamdee, 22, and his family.

She said the ministry would also trim trees and bushes in the area and install lighting at all gates in the compound to reduce the risk of accidents, particularly at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute gate, the scene of the incident.

Somchai, who has undergone two brain operations since the incident, was in stable condition at Phra Nangkalo Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit.

Hospital deputy director Dr Sakol Sukphrom said Somchai had responded well to treatment and was able to raise a hand and leg and raise two fingers. His vital signs were normal, although he still depended on a respirator and had a fever.

Somchai was entitled to free medical treatment for the first 72 hours after the emergency, Sakol said. Yorn and the ministry had stated it would cover Somchai’s medical expenses and pay compensation.

Officials from the Rights and Liberties Protection Department visited Somchai in hospital yesterday to check on his recovery and said they would provide aid in line with the law. Public Health Minister Dr Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn yesterday said Yorn had already expressed responsibility for the incident, adding that people should let justice run its course.

Asked whether a disciplinary committee would be set up to investigate Yorn, Piyasakol said the ministry would have to discuss the matter before making a decision because the incident reportedly took place outside office hours. However, he said that he had instructed officials to ensure the culprit is punished.

On Monday, Panpimol also said the ministry would wait for the results of the police investigation before deciding whether to set up a disciplinary probe against Yorn to avoid redundancy.

Dr Taejing Siripanich, secretary-general of the Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation, urged Piyasakol to set up a disciplinary probe against Yorn in parallel with the police probe, as the alleged drunk driving charge by a ministry official was “worse than a sexual harassment accusation”.

The ministry has recently been implicated in a serious sexual harassment case.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 12:15

Others

Source link

SMRT train collides with stationary train near Joo Koon MRT station; injuries reported

0

Singapore

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 10:59

AsiaOne

Others

Source link

Photos: First look at Miss Universe Singapore 2017's national costume

0

Singapore

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 10:52

The New Paper

Others

Source link

Singaporeans visit JB, discover passports were allegedly stamped with wrong date

0

A group of eight Singaporeans reportedly went to Johor Bahru last Saturday (Nov 4), but discovered that all their passports had been stamped with the wrong dates by Malaysian immigration.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the information was shared via a viral WhatsApp message, in which members claimed that their passports had been stamped with the date Oct 4, 2017, instead of Nov 4, 2017.

What’s more bewildering was that all eight of them had been subjected to the same error, and none of the customs staff had noticed it.

Read also


Singapore becomes most powerful passport in the world
Singapore becomes most powerful passport in the world<!–

Singapore becomes most powerful passport in the world

//afarkas.github.io/lazysizes/lazysizes.min.js

An accompanying photo also showed the original stamp, Oct 4, 2017, being voided, and overwritten with a new one, Nov 4, 2017.

One of the affected members said that the group often visited Johor Bahru and he would check his passport diligently to ensure that there were no mistakes.

The person also asked members of the public to stay vigilant and check their passports whenever they enter the Malaysian customs.

A guideline, he added, was that the stamp for entering Malaysian is squarish and blue.

In contrast, the stamp used when exiting Malaysian is red and triangular in shape.

For Singaporeans who often visit Malaysia, do take note.

Singapore

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 10:41

More about

Singapore passport ICA (Immigration and Checkpoints Authority)

Stomp

Others

Source link

MRT train collides with stationary train at Joo Koon station; 23 passengers hurt

0

SINGAPORE: At least 23 passengers were hurt after an SMRT train collided with a stationary train at Joo Koon MRT station on Wednesday morning (Nov 15). 

The two trains at Joo Koon MRT station. 

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the incident at 8.33am. A total of 23 people were sent to hospital, most with minor injuries, SCDF said.

Facebook user Mei Anne wrote that she was a passenger on one of the trains, and hurt her back as a result of the collision. 

The incident happened on the same morning that both the East-West Line and Circle Line were affected by delays during the morning rush hour. 

In a tweet at 8.25am, SMRT said that a “train fault” happened at Joo Koon station. 

Channel NewsAsia has reached out to SMRT and the Land Transport Authority on the incident. 

This is a developing story. Please refresh for updates. 

Source link

Blake Shelton named People's 2017 'sexiest man alive'

0

LOS ANGELES – Blake Shelton was named Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine, a first for any country singer, prompting The Voice judge to shake off his shyness about his looks.

“I’ve been ugly my whole life,” Shelton, 41, said in a statement on Tuesday (Nov 14). “If I can be sexy for a year, I’m taking it!”

Oklahoma native Shelton spent a decade in country music before his popularity surged in 2011 as the wise-cracking judge and mentor to aspiring singers on NBC’s reality talent competition The Voice. His most recent album Texoma Shore was released earlier this month.

Shelton told People he could not wait to tease his fellow Voice judge and Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine with his Sexiest Man title, which Levine had previously won in 2013.

“I’m not going to treat this like Hugh Jackman or one of those guys who’s humble about it. People are going to hate me over this,” Shelton joked.

Shelton was formerly married to country singer Miranda Lambert and has been dating pop singer Gwen Stefani for the past two years. He told People that Stefani had encouraged him to accept the title of Sexiest Man Alive.

Previous title holders include Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Johnny Depp, Harrison Ford, Ryan Reynolds and David Beckham.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 10:14

More about

celebrities

Others

Source link

Another Colombian TV show makes racist gesture, mocks K-pop group BTS for being Asian

0

A Colombian TV show has drawn flak for making a racist gesture when introducing BTS, a K-pop band that has been gaining worldwide popularity.

The host of the show “Dia a Dia” had introduced BTS’ latest album, which had prompted a man behind him to make a “slant eyes” gesture by lifting the corners of his eyes.

After the broadcast was aired, a Twitter user with the name “ARMY (fan club of BTS) Colombia” apologised on the social media platform, saying that it is “sincerely sorry” about the incident.

The user added, “In our country, (it) is not very common to talk about Asian culture. We are working very hard for the Asian culture (to be) much more recognised and for referring to them properly and respectfully.

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Meanwhile, Colombian national football team player Edwin Cardona was recently blasted for making a racist gesture on the field to his Korean opponents.

Another Colombian TV show had imitated the player’s gesture, which led to criticism that it was openly mocking Asians.

 

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 – 10:06

Others

Source link

Hong Kong is the safest city to travel in the world

0

ASIA-PACIFIC nations managed to nab the three top spots in the world’s safest countries for travel, according to a new ranking by security website Backgroundcheck.org.

The American company placed autonomous territory Hong Kong in its top spot, with Singapore and Japan coming in second and third respectively. The metrics used to create the rankings include crime, security, tourism and natural disasters. The full top 10 is below:

  1. Hong Kong
  2. Singapore
  3. Japan
  4. Spain
  5. United Kingdom
  6. France
  7. Germany
  8. Canada
  9. Norway
  10. Australia

SEE ALSO: Hong Kong has the most sustainable transport system in the world

The survey described the Chinese territory as an “East Asian destination where a woman or man can walk any street at any time of day or night without fear.”

“With a substantial and well-developed tourist sector, widespread use of English, and a fast, efficient and modern subway system, travelers to Hong Kong will continuously feel at ease,” the report said.

Hong Kong managed to beat both Japan and Singapore for the top spot as it does not have an authoritarian government, as we see in Singapore, and it is free from risk of national disasters, unlike Japan. The territory also has low – and continually declining – crime rates.

shutterstock_715455985

Dotonbori tourist district in Osaka, Japan, September 2017. Source: Photo_DDD / Shutterstock

While Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, the one area of concern flagged by Singapore law enforcement is the recent increase in online scams, particularly sex-for-credit scams. But any tech-savvy travelers should have no problem dodging that potential danger.

Japan similarly has incredibly low crime, with a homicide rate of only 0.3 people per 100,000 – among the lowest in the developed world. Drug use is also extremely scarce and theft is almost unheard of.

SEE ALSO: Being Japanese is the best nationality in Asia

The country’s vulnerability to earthquakes and tsunamis are the factors that pushed it back into third place.

The website also ranked the world’s most dangerous countries for travelers, with Honduras coming in the top spot, mainly due to having the highest homicide rate in the world. No Asia-Pacific nations made it into the top 10, maintaining its status as one of the safest regions in the world to go exploring.

This article was originally published on our sister website Travel Wire Asia.

Source link