Home Blog Page 1312

Images suggest North Korea 'aggressive' work on ballistic missile submarine: US institute 38 North

0

WASHINGTON – Satellite images taken this month of a North Korean naval shipyard indicate Pyongyang is pursuing an “aggressive schedule” to build its first operational ballistic missile submarine, a US institute reported on Thursday (Nov 16).

Washington-based 38 North, a North Korea monitoring project, cited images taken on Nov 5 showing activity at North Korea’s Sinpo South Shipyard.

“The presence of what appear to be sections of a submarine’s pressure hull in the yards suggests construction of a new submarine, possibly the Sinpo-C ballistic missile submarine – the follow-on to the current Sinpo-class experimental ballistic missile submarine,” 38 North said in a report.

The report said that throughout 2017 there had been continued movement of parts and components into and out of two parts yards adjacent to the constructions halls in the centre of the shipyard.

It said the Nov 5 images showed two large circular objects that could be sections of a submarine’s pressure hull. It said these appeared larger than those for North Korea’s Romeo-class attack submarine.

on Twitter

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Images of a test stand indicated continued testing of a mechanism for ejection launch of missiles from a submarine. However, the report said no activity could be seen suggesting preparations for a new test of a submarine-launched missile.

North Korea has been working to develop a nuclear-tipped missile capable of reaching the United States, sparking a major international crisis in which US President Donald Trump has said that all options are under consideration, including military ones.

North Korea is also thought to be working on a solid-fuel missile for submarine launches.

Last month, The Diplomat magazine quoted a US government source as saying US military intelligence had detected a new diesel-electric submarine under construction at Sinpo and dubbed it the Sinpo-C. It said the submarine was likely a larger successor to North Korea’s single experimental ballistic missile submarine.

North Korea has conducted dozens of missile tests this year and its largest and biggest nuclear test on Sep 3. The past two months have seen a relative lull and it has not tested a missile since firing one over Japan on Sep 15.

Another article in The Diplomat last month quoted a US government source as saying that North Korea had tested a new solid fuel engine sometime between Oct 15 and Oct 21. US intelligence officials have declined to comment on this.

Friday, November 17, 2017 – 09:58

More about

NORTH KOREA

Others

Source link

Indonesia park visitors reported to police for giving animals alcohol

0

Management of a conservation park in Cisarua, Bogor, West Java, have reported a man and woman to the police for giving a hippopotamus and a deer an alcoholic drink, as shown in a video that went viral.

“We reported the two perpetrators to Cisarua Police this morning. Their actions endangered our animals and breached animal welfare norms. Hence, we decided to take the case to the police,” Taman Safari Indonesia’s spokesman Yulius Suprihardo told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.

Yulius added that the park’s veterinary team was currently examining the animals to determine whether the alcohol had affected their health.

It crazy… So sad to see..
=======================
@Regranned from @infoanda – #repost from @doniherdaru – Ini story dari @alyccaaa dan @philipbiondi yang terlihat 5 jam lalu. .

Sepertinya mereka ke Taman Safari, dan melakukan hal yang sangat tidak pa

Yulius thanked Instagram users for reporting the issue to Taman Safari Indonesia.

“Thank you for your concern and support toward our animals’ welfare.”

Animal welfare activists lambasted a man and woman known on Instagram as @philipbiondi and @alyccaaa for giving a hippopotamus and a deer red wine at Taman Safari Indonesia.

The actions were recorded and uploaded by the woman on her Instagram story before the videos went viral.

Friday, November 17, 2017 – 10:00

Others

Source link

Coldplay tops US$500 million on third richest tour in history

0

NEW YORK – Coldplay generated more than US$500 million (S$678 million) on the rockers’ just completed global tour, the band’s promoters said on Thursday (Nov 16), making it the third highest-grossing in history.

The English band played the 114th and final show of its A Head Full Of Dreams tour on Wednesday night in Buenos Aires, completing a haul of US$523 million in ticket sales, Live Nation announced.

Only two other acts have ever amassed more: Irish rockers U2, who grossed US$784 million on their elaborate, in-the-round “360” tour from 2009 to 2011, and The Rolling Stones, who grossed slightly above Coldplay with their A Bigger Bang shows a decade ago.

Coldplay went hi-tech for the tour, with fans given interactive wristbands that change colour to the music and eye-popping displays with lasers and confetti.

The rockers led by Chris Martin, who broke through in the early 2000s with a mixture of dark ballads and rock anthems in the fashion of U2, earlier hinted that A Head Full Of Dreams would be their last full-length album, although they released a new EP in July.

The tour started in March 2016, also in Buenos Aires, and reached nearly 5.4 million fans, according to Live Nation.

The band sold out multiple dates at stadiums in London, Paris, Los Angeles, Chicago and New Jersey and set a new attendance record of 67,451 at Mexico City’s Foro Sol.

Coldplay pushes into fourth place on the highest-grossing list Roger Waters, the former Pink Floyd member whose marathon 2010-13 The Wall Live tour incorporated elaborate effects as he pressed an anti-war theme.

Friday, November 17, 2017 – 09:52

More about

concerts Coldplay

Others

Source link

LOT Polish Airlines to launch first direct flights between Singapore and Poland

0

SINGAPORE: LOT Polish Airlines will launch the first direct flights between Singapore and Poland in May next year, Changi Airport Group (CAG) said on Friday (Nov 17).

In a news release, CAG said the inaugural flight from Warsaw to Singapore is set to depart on May 15, while the first flight from Singapore to Warsaw is scheduled for May 16, subject to regulatory approval.

The services will use a 252-seat B787-8 aircraft in a three-class configuration with economy, premium economy and business cabins.

The thrice-weekly services by the Polish flag carrier – which is new to Changi Airport – will increase to four times weekly from July next year, CAG added.

Aside from being the first time Singapore and Poland are linked by direct flights, passengers travelling from Singapore will also gain access to onward connections to other Polish cities as well as Central and Eastern Europe via LOT’s network from Warsaw Chopin Airport.

LOT passengers will also be able to access 47 city links in Southeast Asia and the Southwest Pacific from Changi Airport, CAG said.

CAG managing director of air hub development Lim Ching Kiat said the deal comes as countries in Eastern Europe, such as Croatia, the Czech Republic and Hungary, become more popular with Asian travellers.

Based on passenger movements at Changi Airport, more than 3.6 million passengers travelled between Singapore and Europe in the first ten months of this year, an increase of 7.8 per cent from the same period last year.

Since 2016, three new European city links – Athens, Dusseldorf and Stockholm – have been added to Changi Airport’s network and by mid-2018, 12 airlines will offer direct services from Singapore to 18 cities in 14 European countries, added CAG.

Source link

SMRT refutes online allegation that CEO Desmond Kuek fired half of the staff in a rail department

0

Singapore

Friday, November 17, 2017 – 09:20

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

Injured otter rescued and treated in first such operation

0

SINGAPORE: The injured otter that was spotted with a deep cut on its back at a Pasir Ris Park canal last month was successfully treated on Thursday (Nov 16).

The operation was planned over three weeks by several agencies and volunteer groups of the Otter Working Group including the National Parks Board (NParks), Wildlife Reserves Singapore (WRS), the Animal Concerns Research and Education Society, PUB and Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA).

In an email to Channel NewsAsia, Mr Sivasothi who runs OtterWatch, said that the movements of the nine-month-old female pup – who was named Aquarius – and its family were closely monitored before capturing it for treatment.

The vets tending to the injured otter. (Photo: OtterWatch) 

“Stress to the family was reduced by minimising the number of people on site and working relatively quiet,” said Mr Sivasothi, who is also a senior lecturer of biological sciences at the National University of Singapore.

The wounded otter with seven of his family members were eventually rounded up in an enclosure at Pasir Ris Park made by NParks at around 2pm.

The see-through enclosure ensured that the otters “could view their environs and not feel confined,” explained Mr Sivasothi. 

A WRS vet darted Aquarius and the pup became drowsy within seconds. When it was deemed safe for the vets to approach the targeted pup, the enclosure was opened for the rest of the family to swim away.

In less than fifteen minutes, the team of WRS vets had snipped off the rubber “O-ring” around the pup’s body, which had cut into the otter’s abdominal muscle, and attended to its wound by applying antibiotics, said Mr Sivasothi.

The rubber “O-ring” which was found on the otter. (Photo: OtterWatch) 

After a 30-minute observation period, where the pup rested within the enclosure, the otter was released.

It rested within the enclosure and the environs for a further 80 mins before walking out across the tidal flats and then swam away.

Mr Sivasothi said this was the first time that Otter Working Group had targeted a young adult amidst its family for capture. Previous cases have only seen the group working to rescue otter pups abandoned by their families.

The otter after treatment. (Photo: OtterWatch) 

Source link

Tuas West Extension train service suspended: What you need to know

0

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) announced on Thursday (Nov 16) that the Tuas West Extension would be isolated from the rest of the East-West Line (EWL) in order to carry out further assurance checks.

This comes after thirty-six people were injured when an SMRT train collided with a stationary train at Joo Koon station on Wednesday morning. 

Here’s what commuters need to know:

TUAS WEST EXTENSION TO BE SUSPENDED TILL SUNDAY 

The Tuas West Extension, consisting of Gul Circle, Tuas Crescent, Tuas West Road and Tuas Link stations, will continue to be suspended until Sunday.

Train service between Gul Circle and Tuas Link will resume operations on Monday using the new signalling system, but it will not be linked to the rest of the EWL.

NO TRAIN SERVICE BETWEEN TUAS WEST EXTENSION AND EAST-WEST LINE

Tuas West Extension, which runs on the new signalling system, will be isolated from the rest of the EWL, which runs on the old signalling system, for up to one month.

By isolating the two sections of the railway, engineers will be able to carry out further assurance checks together with signaling contractor Thales. 

Bridging bus services will be available between the affected MRT stations. (Photo: Land Transport Authority)

TRAVELING FROM JOO KOON TO TUAS

On Monday, bridging bus services will be available between Joo Koon and Gul Circle MRT stations.

LTA said 33 buses were deployed on Thursday – the first day of suspended services – between the two station at intervals of three to five minutes.  Several bus trips were also added to key trunk services in Tuas, said the transport authority. 

Bridging bus services between Joo Koon station and Tuas Link station will also be provided until Sunday evening.

WHY IS THIS NECESSARY?

Investigations found that Wednesday’s collision happened due to the “inadvertent” disabling of a software protection feature.

The software glitch arose when a faulty train was transiting between the old and new signalling systems, said LTA.

The Tuas West Extension runs on the new signalling system while the rest of the EWL runs on the old signalling system.

Authorities have therefore decided to isolate the Tuas West Extension until checks are completed. LTA and SMRT have also said they will continue to investigate the incident together with Thales.

Source link

Indonesian art and the rebirth of boardgames in BT Weekend

0

Indonesian art may not be as well known to international collectors as, say, Chinese art, but that is set to change. With big events such as Jakarta Biennale and the opening of swanky new museums, the Indonesian art scene is revving up.

Enjoyed Ed Sheeran’s concert in Singapore last weekend? Find out more about the pop superstar in Weekend Interview. And also in the magazine, hang out in Hiroshima, which has risen from the ashes of World War II to become one of Japan’s most scenic cities.

Put away your phone. Sit down and crack open that boardgame. You’d be in good company, with the boardgame business enjoying a massive revival today. Our Brunch feature in the main paper chronicles the renaissance of tabletop gaming.

Cubicle Files, meanwhile, looks at how to deal with a boss who’s an insecure leader, and how to spot the signs.

What do Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Marina Abramovic have in common? Sass & The City gives the lowdown on the high art of performance.

In The Finish Line, we line up the non-performing teams that are stuck in the World Cup wilderness.

And will a new 2.0-litre gasoline engine help Jaguar’s sleek sport utility vehicle (SUV) sink its claws into a wider audience? Find out in The Steering Column.

To subscribe, visit btsub.sg/weekend

Singapore

Friday, November 17, 2017 – 09:00

The Business Times

Others

Source link

Joo Koon collision: Tuas West Extension train services suspended until Sunday for further checks

0

SINGAPORE: A software glitch that resulted in the Joo Koon MRT station train collision arose when the faulty train was “transiting between the old and new signalling systems”, said the Land Transport Authority (LTA) in a statement late on Thursday (Nov 16).

Thirty-six people were injured after two trains collided at Joo Koon MRT station on Wednesday, in what Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan described as “an awful day”.

The collision was caused by a software glitch in the East-West Line signalling system, authorities had said on Wednesday evening.

In a separate statement on Thursday, Mr Khaw said that he was “disturbed” by the finding that a “critical safety software could be disabled by a defective trackside device”.

He said that until this was “fully addressed”, the link between the Tuas West Extension and the rest of the East-West Line should not be resumed.

“I have told the team to keep separating the two sections of EWL, if need be until the entire EWL is ready to run on the new signalling system,” he said. “This way we avoid having trains transiting from one signalling system to another with its attendant safety risk.”

LTA’s statement is reproduced below:

“The whole-day suspension of the Tuas West Extension service on 16 November 2017 has been very useful for the Thales engineers to carry out detailed assurance checks on the new signalling system.

Based on these checks, Thales has confirmed that the old and new signalling systems are respectively safe for operation.

The disabling of the software protection feature that resulted in the 15 November 2017 train collision arose when the faulty train was transiting between the old and new signalling systems.

Given this finding, LTA and SMRT have decided to isolate for up to one month the operations of the Tuas West Extension, which runs on the new signalling system, from the rest of the East-West Line, which runs on the old signalling system. This will enable our engineers to carry out further assurance checks together with Thales.

As we need some time to prepare our commuters and our staff for this arrangement, the suspension of Tuas West Extension will continue till Sunday.

Train service on the Tuas West Extension between Gul Circle and Tuas Link will resume operations on Monday, 20 November 2017, using the new signalling system.

The rest of the East-West Line will continue to run on the old signalling system between Pasir Ris and Joo Koon.

From Monday, when the Tuas West Extension resumes service, bridging bus services will be available between Joo Koon and Gul Circle MRT stations (see Annex).

This morning, 33 buses were deployed on the bridging bus service between Joo Koon and Tuas Link MRT stations at headways of three to five minutes.

In addition, several bus trips were added to key trunk services in Tuas to better serve commuters in the area. Service was satisfactory.

We will continue to provide bridging bus services between Joo Koon and Tuas Link MRT stations until Sunday evening.

LTA and SMRT will continue to investigate the incident together with Thales.”

Source link

Man injured after truck mounts earth bank at Grange Road

0

SINGAPORE: A truck mounted an earth bank at Grange Road on Thursday afternoon (Nov 16).

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the accident at about 4.40pm and dispatched an ambulance.

A man was assessed to have minor injuries by SCDF paramedics but refused to be taken to hospital, SCDF added.

According to a passerby who declined to be identified, the truck seemed to have suffered a punctured tyre, causing it to lose control.

Photos showed the vehicle on top of an earth bank by the side of the road, separated from the road by concrete barriers.

A traffic accident on Grange Road. (Photo: Channel NewsAsia reader)

The truck was stuck on an earth bank. (Photo: Channel NewsAsia reader)

The front part of the truck also appeared to be partially damaged.

The truck was seen with its front part damaged after the incident. (Photo: Channel NewsAsia reader)

In a tweet at about 4.40pm, the Land Transport Authority warned of an accident on Grange Road near the junction between Grange Road and Orchard Boulevard.

Source link