Home Blog Page 1248

2.6kg of synthetic cannabis seized in Yishun, 2 men arrested

0

SINGAPORE: Two men were arrested and about 2.6kg of synthetic cannabis seized in an operation on Wednesday (Dec 6) conducted by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) and supported by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and the Health Sciences Authority (HSA).

On Dec 6, CNB officers were observing two suspected drug offenders in the vicinity of Yishun Industrial Street 1. The suspects – male Singaporeans aged 40 and 45 years – were spotted separately entering a unit in an industrial building.

Following further observations, CNB officers raided the unit and arrested the men. The officers quickly exited the unit with the two suspects upon noticing the presence of a pungent smell.

A tray containing synthetic cannabis, seized in a CNB operation on Dec 6, 2017. (Photo: Central Narcotics Bureau)

SCDF deployed a team of Hazardous Materials specialists in fully-encapsulated suits to investigate the odour. The air within the room was ascertained to be hazardous and controlled ventilation of the unit was carried out. Once the unit was assessed to be safe to enter, CNB and HSA officers proceeded to conduct a thorough search of the premises.

A total of about 2.6kg of synthetic cannabis and 500g of an unknown powdery substance were recovered from within the unit.

The two men are being investigated for unauthorised manufacture of controlled drugs. If convicted of unauthorised manufacturing of a Class A controlled drug, the two face a minimum of 10 years’ imprisonment and five strokes of the cane.

Source link

North-East Line extension: LTA awards S$79m contract to China State Construction Engineering

0

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded the contract for the construction of tunnels to the future Punggol Coast station on the North-East Line extension to the Singapore branch of China State Construction Engineering.

As part of the S$79 million contract, the company will be responsible for the building of a pair of 830m tunnels between Punggol station and the new Punggol Coast station, the LTA said in a news release on Friday (Dec 8).

The new station will support the Punggol Digital District, a business park that is currently in the design and planning stage led by developer JTC.

Work on the tunnels is expected to begin this month and be completed by 2023. 

Artist’s impression of the concourse of Punggol Coast MRT station. (Image: LTA)

The 1.6-km North-East Line extension will serve the Punggol North area. With the new station, there will be a total of 17 stops along the NEL. 

In awarding the contract, LTA said that China State Construction is “an established contractor” that has completed many railway infrastructure projects in Singapore and China, including Downtown Line 3’s Kaki Bukit and Geylang Bahru stations.

The company is also currently involved in the design and construction of North-South Line’s Canberra Station.

It was also recently awarded two Circle Line 6 contracts for the construction of Cantonment Station, as well as Keppel Station and its associated tunnels in a joint venture with Nishimatsu Construction.

Source link

Unsafe cladding removed from 17 buildings, 2 more non-compliant cladding models identified

0

SINGAPORE: Seventeen buildings have completed the removal of cladding that do not meet safety requirements under the Fire Code, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a press release on Friday (Dec 8).

SCDF’s update follows its announcement earlier this year that 39 buildings had used cladding that did not meet the fire safety requirements. Five of them later tested compliant.

The discovery of the use of the non-compliant combustible cladding came after an industrial building at 30 Toh Guan Road caught fire in May, which resulted in the death of a 54-year-old woman. 

Investigations by the SCDF found that the Alubond composite panels used as cladding on the building’s external walls were not certified as Class 0 as required under the Fire Code.

In its statement on Friday, SCDF said that the removal of the cladding on the remaining 17 buildings are in progress.

List of buildings that have non-compliant cladding and are still undergoing cladding removal. (Table: SCDF website)

NEW NON-COMPLIANT CLADDING MODELS IDENTIFIED

SCDF also said that it has identified two more composite panel models that may not be certified Class 0 as well – Bolliya and Bolli-Core FR. Seven buildings could be affected, it said.

An additional two building projects could also be affected by other non-compliant models of composite panels. Investigations are still ongoing to determine how non-compliant materials were used for these buildings.

The buildings with public access that may be affected are listed below:

A total of six buildings with unrestricted public access may have non-compliant cladding. (Photo: Singapore Civil Defence Force)

On-site fire safety assessments to inspect ignition sources and escape routes were also conducted by the SCDF on the new buildings identified to have other non-compliant cladding models. 

According to the SCDF, all affected building owners have been contacted and if non-compliant cladding is found, the building owners must work with qualified persons to remove the cladding within 60 days. 

The building owners must also strengthen fire safety practices by ensuring their fire safety systems are in good order, removing fire hazards and being vigilant. 

The SCDF will be working with certification bodies and qualified persons to check if there are other buildings with non-compliant cladding by having an annual audit for all current composite panels that meet the Fire Code. 

Information on whether buildings meet the Fire Code requirements will also have to submitted systematically to the SCDF.

Plans to tightened fire safety regulations and certification processes are currently under review and will be announced next year. 

Source link

Robin Williams voted funniest comedy actor of all time in recent poll

0

The circumstances surrounding his death may have been disheartening, but Robin Williams did make a ton of people smile when he was still alive.

His accomplishments of providing laughter both on and off screen was recently immortalized, as a recent poll by The Ranker voted the deceased funnyman as the greatest comedy actor of all time.

Known best for his hysterics in classic children’s films like “Flubber,” “Jumanji,” “Hook” and “Mrs. Doubtfire,” Williams was chosen as the funniest of them all, as determined by 452,000 voters.

He also brought to life the fan-favourite “Genie” in the animated film “Aladdin” in 1992.

But long before he shone on the big screen, Williams was a fixture in stand-up comedy scene in the ’70s and left audiences in roaring laughter with his quick-witted and often wild energy.

Williams was also heralded as a brilliant mimic and improviser, which eventually paved the way for him to reach Hollywood.

Meanwhile, the poll also recognised the comedic talents of “The Anchorman” star Will Ferrell, who came in at second place.

Bill Murray came in third, followed by notable names like George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, Richard Prior, Steve Carell and Leslie Nielsen.

Friday, December 8, 2017 – 19:30

Others

Source link

Flight attendant suspended for eating passengers' leftovers

0

What’s a flight attendant to do if she gets hungry, 35,000 feet in the air? Anything but eat passengers’ leftovers, apparently.

An Urumqi Air flight attendant has been suspended after a video showing the stewardess chowing down on passengers’ in-flight meals went viral.

According to reports, the airline confirmed that it had suspended the employee for not following standard procedures, stating that the boxes of food were leftovers.

However, netizens have jumped to the flight attendant’s defence, expressing their support and sympathy.

Wrote Facebook user Gabriel Seck: “When all she wanted to do was just to keep her stomach full and not waste any food…”

While on Weibo, netizens wondered why the issue was such a big deal, and that “the food was going into the bin anyway, what’s wrong with taking a few bites?”.

They instead attacked her colleague who shot and posted the incriminating footage online.

“The food will be thrown away once the plane lands anyway, what’s the big deal if she takes a few bites? The regulation is too heartless.”Photo: Weibo
“The worst is the ‘evil’ person who uploaded this video.”Photo: Weibo
“I don’t think she did anything wrong, it’s the person who took the video that’s deplorable!”
“The person who took the video better not have any friends in this lifetime. Despicable.”
Photo: Weibo

candicec@sph.com.sg

Friday, December 8, 2017 – 17:00

More about

Social media

Others

Source link

Pregnant Jun Ji-hyun spotted in Hong Kong with husband

0

Korean actress Jun Ji-hyun was spotted at a restaurant in Hong Kong, according to a report by Chinese entertainment outlet Sina Thursday.

The outlet published a photo of the actress dining at a restaurant with husband Choi Joon-hyuk, a banker, and acquaintances.

Photo: Weibo

The photo had originally been uploaded on Chinese social networking site Weibo.

Jun, currently in her eighth month of pregnancy, was dressed comfortably, according to the report.

Friday, December 8, 2017 – 17:00

Others

Source link

'X-Men' director Bryan Singer accused of raping minor in 2003

0

Director Bryan Singer, who was recently fired from directing the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, was sued on Thursday for reportedly raping a minor on a yacht off Seattle in 2003.

According to Variety, 17-year-old Cesar Sanchez-Guzman claims that Singer forced him to perform fellatio, after which the director forcefully performed oral sex on him and anally penetrated him.

According to the lawsuit, Singer later approached the alleged victim to tell him that Singer could help him land an acting role if Sanchez-Guzman did not mention the incident to anyone. Singer also reportedly told Sanchez-Guzman that no one would believe a report on the incident, and threatened him with “people who are capable of ruining someone’s reputation”.

The yacht was owned by Lester Waters, an affluent tech investor “who frequently hosted parties for young gay males in the Seattle area”, the suit alleged.

Miami attorney Jeffrey Herman is representing Sanchez-Guzman. In 2014, Herman represented Michael Egan in his lawsuit against Singer, television producer Garth Ancier and former Disney executive David Neuman. This lawsuit was eventually dropped, with Herman apologising to Ancier and Neuman, who filed a suit for malicious prosecution. Herman later revealed that the allegations detailed in Egan’s initial lawsuit were “provably false”.

The following is Singer’s full statement on the accusation:

“Bryan categorically denies these allegations and will vehemently defend this lawsuit to the very end. Cesar Sanchez-Guzman apparently claims that he did not remember this alleged incident from 2003 until now.

“Significantly, when Sanchez-Guzman filed for bankruptcy only a few years ago, he failed to disclose this alleged claim when he was supposed to identify all of his assets, but conveniently, now that the bankruptcy court discharged all of his debts, he is able to recall the alleged events.

“The attorney behind this lawsuit is the same lawyer who represented Michael Egan, the convicted felon who sued Bryan Singer in 2014. In the end, Egan was forced to dismiss that case once the facts came out and his story completely fell apart.

“Egan and his attorneys then found themselves as defendants in a malicious prosecution action brought by some of the individuals who Egan previously sued. In an apology to those individuals, Egan’s attorney acknowledged the claims that had been filed were ‘untrue and provably false.’

“Notwithstanding his track record, this same lawyer is coming after Bryan again. We are confident that this case will turn out the same way the Egan case did. And once Bryan prevails, he will pursue his own claims for malicious prosecution.”

In other news, Fox has named Dexter Fletcher as Singer’s replacement for the Queen biopic, which is set to resume shooting in London next week.

Friday, December 8, 2017 – 16:01

More about

Rape

Others

Source link

Thousands of Muslims in Asia protest against Trump's Jerusalem plan

0

JAKARTA/KUALA LUMPUR – Thousands of protesters in Muslim-majority Indonesia and Malaysia joined rallies on Friday to condemn Washington’s decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, as authorities tightened security outside US embassies.

Leaders in both Asian countries have joined a global chorus of voices condemning US President Donald Trump’s move.

Several thousand protesters, some shouting anti-US slogans and burning an effigy of Trump, gathered in front of the American embassy in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.

In Indonesia, hundreds of protesters mostly clad in white were arriving outside the US embassy in Jakarta, capital of the world’s biggest Muslim-majority country.

Some wore checkered scarves and waved Palestinian flags, while others shouted”Allahu Akbar” (God is greatest).

“We have prepared personnel and patrols to secure the US embassy. We are expecting between 500 and 1,000 demonstrators,”said Jakarta police spokesman Argo Yuwono.

The US embassy in Jakarta advised its citizens to avoid areas where there were demonstrations and said its consulate in Indonesia’s second-biggest city Surabaya had suspended public services on Friday.

Indonesia has been a long-running supporter of the two-state solution in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and there have been public demonstrations in support of Palestine in recent years.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo on Thursday urged the United States to reconsider its decision and instructed his foreign minister to summon the US ambassador for an explanation.

In Malaysia, leaders from the ruling party United Malay National Organisation (UMNO) and the popular right wing Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), both of which represent the majority ethnic Malay-Muslims, led the rally and representatives of the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas are expected to join.

Protests are also expected in South Asia. Pakistan’s major Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami has announced rallies in all major cities after Friday prayers.

President Trump said on Wednesday that the United States would move its embassy to Jerusalem in the coming years.

Protests have already broken out in the West Bank and the Gaza strip as the Islamist group Hamas urged Palestinians to launch a fresh uprising against Israel.

The status of Jerusalem is one of the thorniest barriers to a lasting Israeli-Palestinian peace. Its eastern sector was captured by Israel in a 1967 war and annexed in a move not recognised internationally.

Palestinians claim East Jerusalem for the capital of an independent state they seek.

Friday, December 8, 2017 – 15:26

More about

Muslims Israel

Others

Source link

Japanese priestess stabbed to death at Tokyo’s Tomioka Hachimangu shrine in apparent family feud

0

TOKYO – A Shinto priestess was killed on the grounds of a famous Tokyo shrine by a man wielding a traditional Japanese sword who then killed another woman before committing suicide, police said on Friday (Dec 8), in what local media described as an apparent family feud.

Nagako Tomioka, 58, chief priestess of Tomioka Hachimangu shrine in Tokyo, was attacked by Shigenaga Tomoika, 56, as she got out of a car on Thursday evening. Media reports said he was her younger brother.

Also, a woman aged in her 30s who was with Shigenaga Tomoika attacked and stabbed the driver of the car with a Japanese sword, police said.

The injuries to his shoulder and chest were not life-threatening. After slashing the priestess, Shigenaga Tomioka then stabbed the younger woman to death with a sword, before killing himself, police said.

The woman’s identity was not given.

Police declined to comment on the motive for the killings, but domestic media said the incident appeared to stem from a family feud.

Shigenaga sent a threatening letter to his sister in 2006, saying he would “send her to hell”, the Sankei newspaper said.

Japan has very restrictive gun laws and gun-related killings are rare. Shinto is the traditional religion of Japan and many shrines dot the country.

The Tomioka Hachinangu shrine, established in 1927, has a close link with sumo and the emperor and empress visited in 2012.

Friday, December 8, 2017 – 15:18

Others

Source link

Japan's Oxford-educated crown prince Naruhito to bring global view to throne

0

TOKYO – Japan’s Oxford-educated crown prince, Naruhito, looks set to bring a more global outlook to the ancient imperial institution while carrying on Emperor Akihito’s legacy of promoting peace and reconciliation with Asia when he ascends the throne in 2019.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s cabinet on Friday (Dec 1) signed off on an April 30, 2019 date for the octogenarian Akihito’s retirement – the first abdication by a Japanese monarch in two centuries. Akihito, who turns 84 on Dec 23, has spent much of his nearly three decades on the throne trying to heal the wounds of a war fought in his father Hirohito’s name and highlighting the needs of the vulnerable in society.

He said in August 2016 that he feared age would make it hard to fulfil his duties.

“As an Oxford-educated scholar and well-travelled crown prince, Naruhito can draw on a wealth of international experience in carrying out the duties his father pioneered,” said Jeffrey Kingston, director of Asian studies at Temple University Japan.

Naruhito, 57, is an advocate for environmental causes, and has taken part in international conferences on clean water.

“Certainly, on environmental issues, he’s very passionate,”said Shihoko Goto, a senior associate for Northeast Asia at the Washington-based Wilson Centre.

“He is also very concerned about women’s rights … the idea of empowering women and giving them a position of dignity that goes beyond their place in the traditional world.”

Naruhito defied palace officials to marry Masako Owada, a Harvard- and Oxford-educated diplomat who has suffered from stress-related illness brought on by the demands of palace life and pressure to bear a royal heir.

At one point, he shocked the public with his blunt defence of his wife from criticism and pressure, drawing a rebuke from his younger brother and sorrowful remarks from his father.

Masako’s daughter, 16-year-old Aiko, cannot inherit the males-only throne.

A one-off law allowing Akihito to abdicate was enacted in June, but did not address the controversial issue of female succession – a matter that is becoming increasingly pressing as the royal family shrinks and ages.

Akihito has only one grandson, 11-year-old Prince Hisahito.

How Masako, 53, copes with the role of empress will be closely watched.

“My hope is that … she will be able to express herself and embrace some of the things she wants to do and be at the forefront of imperial diplomacy,” the Wilson Centre’s Goto said.

Friday, December 8, 2017 – 15:14

More about

Royal Families

Others

Source link