Home Blog Page 1217

Psy to leave agency? YG says nothing confirmed

0

YG Entertainment on Wednesday remained cautious on earlier reports that Psy may soon leave the company to start his own agency.

The agency said that nothing had been decided, adding that Psy is currently preparing to launch businesses in various industries.

Earlier in the day, a local media outlet reported the K-pop star is looking to leave YG, where he has been signed since 2010, citing industry sources. Psy, whose friendship with YG head Yang Hyun-suk played a part in inking the deal, is contracted with YG until 2018.

Psy debuted in 2001 with the album “Psy From the Psycho World!” immediately garnering attention with his satirical lyrics, unorthodox and comical style of performance and fashion. He has since released a number of beloved songs including “Champion,” “Gentleman,” “I Luv It” and “Right Now.”

But the K-pop artist is best known for his 2012 global hit “Gangnam Style,” which buoyed him to enormous fame with its trademark “horse-riding” dance moves and humour-filled music video.

 

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 20:00

Others

Source link

Scam victims lost more than S$12m to bogus China officials from Jan to Nov: SPF

0

SINGAPORE: Scam victims have lost more than S$12 million between January and November to bogus Chinese government officials, the Singapore Police Force (SPF) said in an advisory on Thursday (Dec 28). 

Police said they received at least 158 reports during the 11 months from victims duped by individuals pretending to be officials from the China Ministry of Public Security or China Interpol. 

Outlining the scammers’ modus operandi, the police said the victims would initially receive messages or calls from a number that may look like official government hotline numbers such as 110 or 999. These scammers usually employ caller-ID spoofing technology to dupe victims, SPF added. 

Victims were then told that they had committed criminal offences and were required to assist in investigations. They were instructed to provide their Internet banking details, including their One-Time Password (OTP) for investigation purposes. Some were directed to a fake SPF or China police website to key in their banking information. 

The scam victims might also be shown fake arrest warrants bearing their photographs on these fake websites. 

Victims of the scam were shown fake “warrant of arrests” bearing their photographs. (Photo: SPF) 

The victims were also asked to withdraw their money and pass them to other strangers or remit the cash to bank accounts in China. 

Some victims were also instructed to send nude photos of themselves to prove that they did not have any unique features on their bodies that resembled some criminals the scammers claimed they were looking for. 

These victims were then threatened with arrest by China authorities or risk their nude photos being exposed if they did not do as they were told, SPF said. 

The police highlighted a recent case where a 19-year-old Chinese national student in Singapore was duped into believing that he was under investigation by China Interpol. Under instruction of the scammers, he cut off all communication with his friends and family. 

SPF said the teenager was believed to have been deceived into acting as a secret operative for the Chinese authorities, when in actual fact he was assisting the impersonators in other scam cases targeted at Singapore residents. 

The student is currently assisting the police with investigations.  

SPF also highlighted a separate case of a 17-year-old female Chinese national student in Singapore who was instructed to send nude photos to verify features of her body.

She was earlier deceived into thinking that her credit card was being used for money laundering and was instructed to send the photos in order to prove that she was not connected to the case and did not have any alleged sexual relationship with another male money launderer. 

She then realised that she could be part of a scam, and reported the matter to the police. 

SPF said it takes a serious view against any person who may be involved in scams, whether knowingly or unwittingly. Anyone found to be involved in such scams will be subjected to investigations. 

Anyone convicted of knowingly assisting in dealing with monies derived from criminal conduct may be fined up to S$500,000 or jailed a maximum of 10 years, or both, SPF said. 

Police have advised the public to take the following preventive measures:

  • Ignore such calls and the caller’s instructions. No government agency will instruct payment through a telephone call or other social messaging platforms (WeChat or Facebook); or ask you for personal banking information such as your internet banking passwords. 
  • For foreigners receiving calls from persons claiming to be from Police in your home country, call your Embassy/High Commission to verify the claims of the caller. 
  • Refrain from giving out personal information and bank details, whether on the website or to callers over the phone. Personal information and bank details such as internet bank account usernames and passwords, OTP codes from tokens, are useful to criminals. Do not make any funds transfer.
  • Call a trusted friend or talk to a relative before you act. You may be overwhelmed by emotion and err in your judgment. 

Police also urged people who have any information related to such scams to call the police hotline at 1800-255-0000 or dial 999 for urgent assistance. 

Those seeking scam-related advice may also call the anti-scam helpline (1800-722-6688) or visit the scam alert website, police added. 

Source link

Implement dress code for university students, says ST Forum letter writer

0

Singapore

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 16:51

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

Gay Singaporean loses bid to adopt biological son fathered via surrogate

0

A gay Singaporean man has failed in a bid to formally adopt his biological son fathered via a surrogate in the United States at a cost of US$200,000 (S$267,700).

The man, a doctor in a long-term relationship, initially approached authorities about adopting in the city-state but was told a homosexual couple were unlikely to get permission, according to court documents.

The couple travelled to the US where the doctor underwent procedures for in-vitro fertilisation and found a surrogate who agreed to carry his child for US$200,000.

Read also


Deliberate parenthood by singles at odds with Singapore's stand: MSF on gay man's bid to adopt child
Deliberate parenthood by singles at odds with Singapore's stand: MSF on gay man's bid to adopt child<!–

Deliberate parenthood by singles at odds with Singapore’s stand: MSF on gay man’s bid to adopt child

//afarkas.github.io/lazysizes/lazysizes.min.js

A son was born and as the biological father, the doctor — who has not been identified — was allowed to bring him back to Singapore to live with him. The boy is now four.

The doctor applied to formally adopt the boy in Singapore to “legitimise” their relationship and hopefully secure him Singapore citizenship but a court rejected his bid, according to a judgement released earlier this week.

District Judge Shobha Nair said that the doctor and his partner were aware that procedures to help couples have children were available to only married couples in Singapore and there were no surrogacy services in the city-state.

Gay marriage is not permitted in Singapore. Surrogacy is not explicitly banned although official guidelines prohibit the practice in assisted reproduction centres, according to the Straits Times newspaper.

“The applicant, a medical doctor himself, was acutely aware that the medical procedures undertaken to have a child of his own would not have been possible in Singapore,” said the judge.

“He cannot then come to the courts of the very same jurisdiction to have the acts condoned.”

The child’s welfare was not an issue in the case as he will continue to be well looked after by his biological father and he is not stateless as he holds American citizenship, the judge said.

She was not swayed by the arguments of the man’s lawyers, Koh Tien Hua, Ivan Cheong and Shaun Ho, who denied he was seeking to adopt the boy to form what would effectively be a legally recognised gay family, the Straits Times said.

Singapore

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 14:49

More about

adoption Homosexuality/LGBT

AFP

Others

Source link

Shakira cancels tour over voice issue, hopes for June return

0

Colombian pop star Shakira on Wednesday cancelled the remainder of her world tour because of a problem with her vocal chords and said she hoped to be back on stage in June of next year.

“Though I very much hoped to be able to recover my vocal chords in time to pick the tour back up in January, and after exploring many options to that effect, I have accepted that this is an injury that simply needs more time and care to heal,” Shakira said in a statement on her website.

The “Hips Don’t Lie” star cancelled the European leg of her “El Dorado World Tour” in November.

Read also: Lorde cancels Israel show after pressure

She said she hoped to resume the tour in June 2018 with concerts in Europe, the United States and Latin America.

It’s currently due to conclude September 6 in San Jose, California.

“I feel for all of you who planned ahead to come to these shows and who have been so patient as I took the time needed to figure out the best course of action with my doctors,” Shakira said.

“I really can’t wait for June!” she added. “I promise to give you all of me and more from the minute I get on that stage and I am counting the days till showtime!”

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 14:47

Others

Source link

AsiaOne on air: Party your way to 2018 with these New Year's eve gigs

0

How is the year coming to an end already? Time has gone by really fast this 2017 but let’s end it off with a bang.

The last comedy night to head to features our very own Shaun T at Central Perk on Magazine Road on Friday.

Get your belly full of laughs from 8.30pm. Tickets are $36 on the door.

The Council at Headquarters in Boat Quay is having a long opening weekend for their new premises featuring a second floor.

From tonight right till New Year’s eve, there will be an amazing line-up of superb local talents on decks with techno and house music.

Speaking of New Year’s eve, you know everywhere that’s anywhere is going to be open for a long night of partying.

But here’s my selection on what’s looking good.

If you’re feeling like a beach countdown, Ola Beach Club on Siloso Beach in Sentosa is having an Aloha 2018 party with open format music DJ Nad-Trix.

Enjoy Hawaiian-inspired cocktails and drink promos all night.

Over at AVRY Singapore at Millenia Walk, Dom Perignon is hosting a New year’s eve party with legendary local hip hop DJ Koflow.

It’s $98 on the door before midnight which gives you a free flow of housepours and canapes.

Skyline Club at Singapore Land Tower is having a Bianco night which is a white-themed party.

If you’re into bitcoins, their Bitcoin Baller Package is pretty stellar.

On the door, it’s $68 for entry.

Lulu’s Lounge by Pan Pacific Hotel is having The Scarlet Affaire with a red carpet to welcome you to 2018.

The dress code says chic, glamorous, and red.

Happy New Year’s everyone!

If you don’t know, now you know.

To catch Simi the Party Girl, listen to her on OneFM‘s #1 Breakfast Show with Glenn Ong and The Flying Dutchman on Thursday mornings.

Find out what she gets up to on AsiaOne’s social media! Follow @sphasiaone on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and @simiaut0matic on Snapchat.

spanaech@sph.com.sg

 

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 14:30

Party your way to 2018 with these New Year's eve gigs

Others

Source link

Arizona highway accident claims lives of SAF scholar and parents

0

A Singaporean family of four was on a vacation in Arizona when they were caught in an accident, killing the couple – 62-year-old Mr Yeo Heng Soon, 56-year-old Madam Chua Cher Hwee – and their son, Mr Justin Yeo Jun Xi, 22.

The couple’s daughter, Ms Justlyn Yeo Jing Hui, 19, was the sole survivor of the accident which happened on Friday (Dec 22) around 2.21pm local time (5.21am, Saturday in Singapore).

Justin, a Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) scholar, was a sophomore at the University of California, Berkeley, and the family had gone on a holiday to visit him.

Read also


Singaporean family's holiday turns tragic after 3 die, 1 injured in Arizona highway accident
Singaporean family's holiday turns tragic after 3 die, 1 injured in Arizona highway accident<!–

Singaporean family’s holiday turns tragic after 3 die, 1 injured in Arizona highway accident

//afarkas.github.io/lazysizes/lazysizes.min.js

He was among the top A-level graduates in Dunman High School in 2013, and received the SAF Merit Scholarship in 2015, reported The Straits Times.

As a university undergraduate, he co-founded Dingo, an app that allows users to easily notify friends when they have reached their intended destination, without having to send out text messages. He had also recently joined an entrepreneurship fraternity.

The family was travelling in a silver Hyundai towards the Grand Canyon when their car crossed the painted median and collided head-on with a green Dodge van, and crashed into a third vehicle.

Justin was driving the vehicle during the time of the accident.

Mr Yeo, Madam Chua, and Justin were pronounced dead at the scene.

Ms Yeo, survived and was conveyed to Flagstaff Medical Center where she is believed to have undergone spinal surgery.

The first-year student at the Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU) Wee Kim Wee School of Communications and Information is reportedly in a stable condition after being transferred out of the intensive care unit (ICU).

Relatives have flown over from Singapore to the United States to take care of her.

A neighbour of the Yeos told Lianhe Wanbao that the Yeo siblings were polite, filial and quite close to one another.

Following the accident, a 70km stretch of the highway was closed off for seven hours to allow investigations to take place.

The driver of the Dodge van which fell into a ravine following the collision, is from Spain and also died at the scene.

A total of five people, including four passengers in the Dodge van were injured.

There were no reported injuries from the third vehicle.

on Facebook

Overseas roads have turned deadly for Singaporeans this year. Here are some tips to follow when driving in an unfamiliar territory. http://str.sg/oom8

Posted by The Straits Times on Wednesday, 27 December 2017

 

Singapore

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 12:33

More about

Accidents – Traffic

Stomp

SAF scholar who died in Arizona highway accident was co-founder of tech app

Others

Source link

Deliberate parenthood by singles at odds with Singapore's stand: MSF on gay man's bid to adopt child

0

Singapore

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 12:30

The Straits Times

Others

Source link

URA launches tenders for sites at Sengkang Central and Hillview Rise

0

SINGAPORE: The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) on Thursday (Dec 28) launched two sites at Sengkang Central and Hillview Rise for sale by public tender, under the Confirmed List of the second half 2017 Government Land Sales programme.

In its release, URA said that the two sites – both of which have 99-year lease periods – would provide new private housing and together could potentially yield about 1,235 residential units.

Location plan for the land parcel at Sengkang Central. (Image: URA)

With a site area of 37,284.8 sq m, the site at Sengkang Central is zoned for commercial and residential use and has a maximum gross floor area of 78,299 sq m.

It could yield an estimated 700 housing units, said URA.

Located in the heart of Buangkok, the mixed-use development is “envisioned as an integrated community hub” to meet the needs of about 20,000 residents.

“The development is also a focal point and identity marker for the Buangkok neighbourhood,” said URA. “Hence, thoughtfully designed public spaces which are well integrated with transport and community uses will be key to the success of the development.”

Location plan for the land parcel at Hillview Rise. (Image: URA)

With a site area of 14,296.1 sq m, the Hillview Rise site – which is zoned for residential use – has a “sizeable” residential gross floor area of 40,030 sq m, said URA, adding that it could yield an estimated 535 housing units.

This makes it a “suitable test bed” for “innovative” construction technologies and methods, it said, adding that concept proposals that demonstrate high construction productivity outcomes would make the shortlist for the site.

The concept and price revenue tenders for the sites at Hillview Rise and Sengkang Central will close at noon on May 3, 2018 and Jun 21, 2018 respectively.

Source link

SAF scholar among dead in US car crash

0

Singapore

Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 09:44

The Straits Times

Others

Source link